Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Disagree on the tubeless. If that had followed a reasonable evolution, the hook joint would be deeper in the rim away from the area that can deform from minor rim strikes.

But we all know that the drooling masses wouldn't accept the extra cunt hair of weight to keep their tire seal away from a crumple zone. Best to avoid all the bumps and make sure you have the lightest bicycle possible for all that spandex street cred.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'll take every aspect of the bike i'm riding now over what i was riding 15 years ago. but really, it's all about your attitude and needs. and yeah, my tubeless is better, but that's because i took a weight penalty and went double down.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Disagree on the tubeless. If that had followed a reasonable evolution, the hook joint would be deeper in the rim away from the area that can deform from minor rim strikes.

But we all know that the drooling masses wouldn't accept the extra cunt hair of weight to keep their tire seal away from a crumple zone. Best to avoid all the bumps and make sure you have the lightest bicycle possible for all that spandex street cred.
Sounds great, but how are you going to mount those things? Are we going to have bolt on beadlocks?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've had more pinchflats with tubeless than I ever did with tubes, only instead of killing a $5 tube, now it kills a $90 tire.

Make a downhill casing tire with a higher durometer pedaling rubber and I'll change my tune. I don't want to spend hours dealing with sticking pool noodles in my wheels and adding 40 pounds of soggy weights to them just to change a tire.

For now though, tubeless is a big "meh" from me.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Tires and tubeless seem to be the same as it's ever been. Compromise on weight and you need more psi's and are ok tear/slice risk or add weight based on riding style and terrain needs so that you minimize the risk of needing to fudge around with damaged tires when riding.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
....Make a downhill casing tire with a higher durometer pedaling rubber and I'll change my tune.
You can get 26" or 27.5" DH casing Minion twins with 60~62A. No 29" though.

This one had 528 miles (plus whatever I didn't record with strava), mostly ridden in AZ/NV. It rolls surprisingly well, and the side knobs remain useful after 200 miles unlike the 3C variant.
IMG_3308.JPG

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I just wish someone would figure out that pa6-25cf had the same tensile strength as 6061 (at a lower density might add) and make the spoke nipples molded into the wheel in spherical pockets so there's no holes in the rim to install nipples, so you don't need to rim tape and at the same time someone would figure out how to not make a super porous tire so I don't have to add 2 psi to my tires every other time I ride.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Source for this Nylon grade? Seen gf before.

I just wish someone would figure out that pa6-25cf had the same tensile strength as 6061 (at a lower density might add) and make the spoke nipples molded into the wheel in spherical pockets so there's no holes in the rim to install nipples, so you don't need to rim tape and at the same time someone would figure out how to not make a super porous tire so I don't have to add 2 psi to my tires every other time I ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I kind of agree, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's what's wrong, but it's also not done to the point where every rim and tire combo just goes right on and then you hook up a floor pump and it's done. Sometimes that's the case, and sometimes it's a couple hours of frustrating without an air compressor (and even then there are still issues occassionally), which shouldn't be a "requirement" for owning a bike.

I've used this a few times now and it definitely helps, it's basically seating the tire partially before you actually seat the tire, tightening it up and forcing the air to blow it into place, rather than escape. I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say a sure-fire way, I had some issues with a fat-tire still and we shouldn't be having to resort to these extremes to put our tires on.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, every time I ride a cyclocross/gravel bike off road I always think about how much better it would be with a flat bar and a dropper post. Of course, you could just put some skinny tires on a rigid XC bike for the same effect. At that point the only difference is a few geometry tweaks.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So that's basically the same as the 29er HT/rigid I've been riding as my "gravel" bike for the last decade...wp industry.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I've had more pinchflats with tubeless than I ever did with tubes, only instead of killing a $5 tube, now it kills a $90 tire.
I've had this happen a few times, not really a big deal:

1. Remove tire
2. Locate pinch-flat hole area
3. Clean said area on inside of tire
4. Cut small piece of old DH tube
5. Super glue piece of tube on the inside of tire to cover pinch flat area
6. Wait for it to dry
7. Reinstall tire

You don't have to throw away a tire because of a pinch flat. I've done this on at least 5-6 tires in the last few years and each time it's held up until the tread was gone and the tire needed actual replacing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had this happen a few times, not really a big deal:

1. Remove tire
2. Locate pinch-flat hole area
3. Clean said area on inside of tire
4. Cut small piece of old DH tube
5. Super glue piece of tube on the inside of tire to cover pinch flat area
6. Wait for it to dry
7. Reinstall tire

You don't have to throw away a tire because of a pinch flat. I've done this on at least 5-6 tires in the last few years and each time it's held up until the tread was gone and the tire needed actual replacing.
Wouldn't you want vulcanizing glue?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've been using automotive tyre patches and vulcanising solution to patch mtb tyre holes and tears from the inside for years. Preparation of the inside of the tyre casing and following the correct procedure is essential for good adhesion and a strong repair.
They'll generally hold up fine again tubeless at off-road pressures, but at higher pressures (40psi+ for commuting) I found a tendancy for the tyre to bulge at the repair so safer to sack off tubeless and run a tube for the remaining life of any tyres you're going to be running at those sort of pressures.
Bigger tears can be sewn together and superglued on the outside and patched from the inside... but life's kinda short already.
Super glue and a piece of DH tube may well offer a stiffer repair. and hold the tear together, possibly less prone to bulging. I dunno.
Worth trying either repair method if it means not having to ditch a fairly new tyre.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Super glue and a piece of DH tube may well offer a stiffer repair. and hold the tear together, possibly less prone to bulging. I dunno.
Worth trying either repair method if it means not having to ditch a fairly new tyre.
I cut a sizable tear in the sidewall of a Maxxis EXO+ casing last year riding lift-access and patched it. Real bummer as it it was like the second ride on a new set of tires. It did bulge after using my patch method, but held air normally through the rest of the season.

You're right about pressures though, not sure I'd use my method on a commuter/road tire running higher psi.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Wouldn't you want vulcanizing glue?
I have used super glue with great success. My dhf dd tire got a pinch flat at the bead on the first ride. I cleaned the tear, used super glue in the tear and patched the back using a regular patch and super glue. Worked great tubeless for the whole life of the tire. Super glue will bond very well and pretty quick to rubber.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have used super glue with great success. My dhf dd tire got a pinch flat at the bead on the first ride. I cleaned the tear, used super glue in the tear and patched the back using a regular patch and super glue. Worked great tubeless for the whole life of the tire. Super glue will bond very well and pretty quick to rubber.
Yeah, super-glue bonds well with organics...like your skin, but isn't exactly flexible either, which is why I'd think vulcanizing glue would be best.