Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The Troy is now made in china, but all other aluminum frames are still made in Canada. I have no idea why they sent that specific frame to china.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So 35lb with pedals? and assuming it's for kids that'll be with non DH tyres?
what fork?

That's a big ol lump for a 4'11" kid to be riding around on.

Still for that price there has to be compromises
5 feet / 150cm but yea. personally, i don't think those wheel sizes are necessarily ideally suited for kids that height, especially when bikes with 24" are usually suitable for kids up to 4'11"

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
5 feet / 150cm but yea. personally, i don't think those wheel sizes are necessarily ideally suited for kids that height, especially when bikes with 24" are usually suitable for kids up to 4'11"
Yeah. I just recently gave my youngest my old Rose bikes Jester FS DJ bike. She's 11 and just crossed over the 5ft height barrier. I lightened it up a little from the build I was running with a set of OG U-turn Pike airs and single ply maxxis. it's 29lb and she'd come off a similar weight spesh 24" hardtail. She's pretty fit and strong for an 11yr old (plays footy for a national U13 team and trains 3-4 times a week) but it being quite light definitely means she enjoy riding it a little more/further. Especially through our shitty winter mud.

_20210121_194218.JPG

Measured her saddle height and the short seat tube means a 125mm dropper will just fit so that's next. Should still be under 30lb all in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. I just recently gave my youngest my old Rose bikes Jester FS DJ bike. She's 11 and just crossed over the 5ft height barrier. I lightened it up a little from the build I was running with a set of OG U-turn Pike airs and single ply maxxis. it's 29lb and she'd come off a similar weight spesh 24" hardtail. She's pretty fit and strong for an 11yr old (plays footy for a national U13 team and trains 3-4 times a week) but it being quite light definitely means she enjoy riding it a little more/further. Especially through our shitty winter mud.

View attachment 155481

Measured her saddle height and the short seat tube means a 125mm dropper will just fit so that's next. Should still be under 30lb all in.
very cool. my son is almost 6 and he's already about 4'1" so i'm getting him on a 24" bike (i test fit him on a neighbor's bike and he took right off, although he definitely is on the small end of the size range, he'll manage).

as of right now i'm planning on keeping my 26" mtbs for him for once he's big enough. i have an old slalom frame i'll build up for him, and he'll probably also wind up on my scott spark.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
very cool. my son is almost 6 and he's already about 4'1" so i'm getting him on a 24" bike (i test fit him on a neighbor's bike and he took right off, although he definitely is on the small end of the size range, he'll manage).
Yeah. They grow out of bikes so fast. All my kids had plenty decent bikes growing up and rode them tons. All the rest are grown up now but all still ride but only my youngest was the one who was really into it. She took to riding scooters n stuff before she was even 12months (nuts) and riding pedal bikes before she reached 2yrs old. (just got on an older boys bike at the park and rode off on it leaving me stood there openjawed) Her older siblings were all 4 before they got to that stage. She also loves playing football so at one point she was racing BMX midweek and racing on a Sunday with football training two nights and a game on a Saturday one of the two had to take a back seat and it was right at the time she was selected for one of the biggest clubs in Scotland so that's how we went. BMX racing is tiny in Scotland so she was racing against much older girls or stuck in with the boys. Through football she's got a much better social life and she's progressed greatly so it seems to have been the right choice and she can still go biking with me anytime she wants stress free.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. They grow out of bikes so fast. All my kids had plenty decent bikes growing up and rode them tons. All the rest are grown up now but all still ride but only my youngest was the one who was really into it. She took to riding scooters n stuff before she was even 12months (nuts) and riding pedal bikes before she reached 2yrs old. (just got on an older boys bike at the park and rode off on it leaving me stood there openjawed) Her older siblings were all 4 before they got to that stage. She also loves playing football so at one point she was racing BMX midweek and racing on a Sunday with football training two nights and a game on a Saturday one of the two had to take a back seat and it was right at the time she was selected for one of the biggest clubs in Scotland so that's how we went. BMX racing is tiny in Scotland so she was racing against much older girls or stuck in with the boys. Through football she's got a much better social life and she's progressed greatly so it seems to have been the right choice and she can still go biking with me anytime she wants stress free.
they sure do. only reason i'm getting my son a new bike now is because i have nothing that's his size. by the time he sizes out of his new bike he'll fit something else i have.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 155481

as of right now i'm planning on keeping my 26" mtbs for him for once he's big enough. i have an old slalom frame i'll build up for him, and he'll probably also wind up on my scott spark.
they sure do. only reason i'm getting my son a new bike now is because i have nothing that's his size. by the time he sizes out of his new bike he'll fit something else i have.
I'm struggling with what to do for my 10 year old son now. I still have my 2013 Ibis Mojo in the basement. I think he's still another year away from riding it. He's on a 24" Commençal now, and pretty much outgrown it. We started riding a whole bunch together last year, and he really seemed to like it. So I want to get him something that will fit him. But given that I have the Ibis waiting for him, I don't really want to invest in anything too expensive in the mean time. If the stupid industry didn't change standards all the time, I could get a frame and swap parts over, but that's proving difficult. I keep watching Pinkbike's buy n' sell, but I'm not seeing anything good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm struggling with what to do for my 10 year old son now. I still have my 2013 Ibis Mojo in the basement. I think he's still another year away from riding it. He's on a 24" Commençal now, and pretty much outgrown it. We started riding a whole bunch together last year, and he really seemed to like it. So I want to get him something that will fit him. But given that I have the Ibis waiting for him, I don't really want to invest in anything too expensive in the mean time. If the stupid industry didn't change standards all the time, I could get a frame and swap parts over, but that's proving difficult. I keep watching Pinkbike's buy n' sell, but I'm not seeing anything good.
ask around with friends if they have anything sitting around? i'm assuming you're after something geared, hardtail or FS?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Buy something 2nd hand at a good price point and with the expectation of flipping it in a couple of years. Young kids generally dont need anything fancy. They grow so fast it seems the only practical way to go. DJ bikes can work well due to short seat post, generally reliable and multi purpose, easy geo for kids if they want to start playing around and easy to sell.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Whatever 26" bike you buy. You'll be able to sell in a year for almost same money.
They're not really depreciating now. and running costs(tyres and less gears) are way cheaper than something modern.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Buy something 2nd hand at a good price point and with the expectation of flipping it in a couple of years. Young kids middle aged men generally dont need anything fancy. They grow crave something else so fast it seems the only practical way to go. DJ bikes can work well due to short seat post, generally reliable and multi purpose, easy geo for kids older guys if they want to start playing around and easy to sell.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Buy something 2nd hand at a good price point and with the expectation of flipping it in a couple of years. Young kids generally dont need anything fancy. They grow so fast it seems the only practical way to go. DJ bikes can work well due to short seat post, generally reliable and multi purpose, easy geo for kids if they want to start playing around and easy to sell.
Whatever 26" bike you buy. You'll be able to sell in a year for almost same money.
They're not really depreciating now. and running costs(tyres and less gears) are way cheaper than something modern.
I'm not having any luck finding decent used 26" hardtails. Started poking around for what's available and stumbled on the Norco Fluid HT. They're 27.5, but come in really small sizes. Priced decently too.

I called a local shop about availability, and they're not able to take pre-orders for the 2021 models as availability is uncertain. But, they have a 2020 model, in-stock.
1612285427812.png

I think I will go procure it today.

We can't try it out before we buy because of pandemic rules, but they're being good about returns...

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Its definitely nice to see some budget friendly hardtails out there, but I am a little surprised there's not more steel hardtail options. There seem to be a fair number of UK brands with steel hardtail options, but not many others that I am aware of (well, other than Chromag of course). Not to be that over-the-top "steel is real, brah" guy, but they do ride noticeably better and I would always take a steel hardtail over an aluminum frame, even with the weight penalty.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Rapha, Yeti, Enve... Could they go any more dentistry? I can't see the cranks, but I bet they're EEWings.
re: eewings, is it just the bling factor or are there performance benefits I'm not seeing over aluminum cranks?

Their weight at exactly 400g and their price at $999 USD makes me quite skeptical off the bat. :) XTR comes in around 100g heavier it seems.

I do love the original sweet wings... and the look of a tubular welded crank.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
re: eewings, is it just the bling factor or are there performance benefits I'm not seeing over aluminum cranks?

Their weight at exactly 400g and their price at $999 USD makes me quite skeptical off the bat. :) XTR comes in around 100g heavier it seems.

I do love the original sweet wings... and the look of a tubular welded crank.
super stiff, and as light as but different failure modes than carbon.