Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I swear. Its a 2007 and the standard trim level. Only the XR and XRS came with ABS. It actually appears to be a ~$360 option in somethings I'm reading.

:edit: reading this stuff and now I know how much HP this engine has. Never really cared enough to research that before. I'm surprised it is listed at 126, it feels like a lot less. I'm pretty sure a Geo Metro could beat this thing in a race. :rofl: Then again its approaching 300k.
Many moons ago I considered a Matrix and if I remember correctly that engine had really low torque with a small peak at very high rpm, so it has a very narrow power band which will feel like less power.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Many moons ago I considered a Matrix and if I remember correctly that engine had really low torque with a small peak at very high rpm, so it has a very narrow power band which will feel like less power.
Having a manual transmission with a long 2nd gear and overall feel of pushing a canoe paddle through jello also doesnt help.

But for it being a cheap shit box, its reliable and has enough room in the back for me to lay down in, on its completely flat floor.

And the passenger seat folds into a picnic table. :busted:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have an XRS stock is 50hp more over 6k to 8k rpm. I have an aftermarket computer that lowers when the second cam profile (mine is set at 4.6k) along with tuning the fuel maps. Same trick used on the Lotus Elise. Bumps it to 230 wheel HP.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Probably already mentioned but I'm going to throw out 200 versus 203 brake rotor/mounts.

Wife an I both got new MT7's for festivus, I'd put them and new rotors on our DH bikes much earlier this year. I hadn't trimmed the hoses and hadn't solved why her front wheel wouldn't turn properly, I thought the new rotor was fubar.

With COVID 2020 we haven't been to a bike park so I hadn't rushed to finish the install and solve the front wheel. Finally got around to it today. Realized her front wheel issue was one tiny section of rotor was catching the outside of the caliper and grinding a shallow groove. Because the rotors are 203mm, Boxxer fork is 200mm mount and our frames are 203mm...

Yet my bike hadn't had the issue on the initial install despite same model Boxxer fork. Both front calipers now shimmed out with a washer...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably already mentioned but I'm going to throw out 200 versus 203 brake rotor/mounts.

Wife an I both got new MT7's for festivus, I'd put them and new rotors on our DH bikes much earlier this year. I hadn't trimmed the hoses and hadn't solved why her front wheel wouldn't turn properly, I thought the new rotor was fubar.

With COVID 2020 we haven't been to a bike park so I hadn't rushed to finish the install and solve the front wheel. Finally got around to it today. Realized her front wheel issue was one tiny section of rotor was catching the outside of the caliper and grinding a shallow groove. Because the rotors are 203mm, Boxxer fork is 200mm mount and our frames are 203mm...

Yet my bike hadn't had the issue on the initial install despite same model Boxxer fork. Both front calipers shimmed out with a washer...

1.5% moar brakez

Or 3% less rotating weight, depending on whose marketing department you are from.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Yet my bike hadn't had the issue on the initial install despite same model Boxxer fork. Both front calipers shimmed out with a washer...
Two 1.5mm washers will solve your issue mang...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
NO.

The real solution would be for EVERYONE to make the same damn rotor/brake adapter size.

:banghead:
How fucked up is it that SRAM, a US company, is making a fork for 200mm rotors, while Shimano, a Japanese company, is making an 8" brakes...?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This was all Sram's fault back in the day. I forget who-made-what, but while Hayes, Shimano, Formula and Magura were all making (***I believe***) 160, 180 and 203, Avid made 165, 185 and 200mm rotors or some stupid bullshit like that.

I purchased 203mm rotors back in 2015 and had the same issues cause the Fox 40 and the Devinci Wilson are both meant to be 200mm.

I really wish that the companies would be courteous to have this shit stamped/laser etched/stickered on the fork/frame. But why expect anything that simple.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This was all Sram's fault back in the day. I forget who-made-what, but while Hayes, Shimano, Formula and Magura were all making (***I believe***) 160, 180 and 203, Avid made 165, 185 and 200mm rotors or some stupid bullshit like that.

I purchased 203mm rotors back in 2015 and had the same issues cause the Fox 40 and the Devinci Wilson are both meant to be 200mm.

I really wish that the companies would be courteous to have this shit stamped/laser etched/stickered on the fork/frame. But why expect anything that simple.
I want to say Hope was also doing 185 and 200. I specifically remember having 185 rotors with the little lightning symbols at one point. Probably because...Yurp. I mean, of the sake of standards, why the hell did we do 203 instead of 200? Does that mean that the next size up should be 220 (a round number), 223 (203+20), 229 (9") or what?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Well, let's take a look at forks- 1 1/8" steerer tube, 200mm of travel with a 26" wheel and 110mm of spacing.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Yet my bike hadn't had the issue on the initial install despite same model Boxxer fork. Both front calipers now shimmed out with a washer...
and that, kids, is why you all should use the metric system. self inflicted problem, just by being born in the wrong country.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Agree on the 203 vs 200mm thing. I've been bitten by this twice. I'd also add:

-Rotors that aren't dead straight when brand new
-Pads that contaminate when you look at them the wrong way

I'm old enough to remember the amazing improvement when V-brakes first came out, so from that standpoint modern hydraulic discs are amazing, but they're still not anywhere near as good, mainly in terms of reliability, as they should be.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
-Rotors that aren't dead straight when brand new
Agree. Blame shipping/handling or whatever but its bloody annoying. Especially those deep bends that are a real struggle to correct.

I'm old enough to remember the amazing improvement when V-brakes first came out, so from that standpoint modern hydraulic discs are amazing, but they're still not anywhere near as good, mainly in terms of reliability, as they should be.
Imagine if any motor manufacturer sold a vehicle where the braking point varied wildly depending on how you pumped the lever, and then if anyone complained about it you told them well duh they need to RTFM and learn how to bleed their brand new brakes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you obviously don't remember how good v-brakes worked in the rain, or with a wheel that wasn't perfectly true.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I remember these things being pretty great, relatively. Might even still have some on an old Kona that is hanging in my moms shed.

On a side note, I noticed Sram placed a subtle Avid logo on the back of the Eagle derailleur I have. I'm guessing a throwback to the rollamajig?