Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I remember these things being pretty great, relatively. Might even still have some on an old Kona that is hanging in my moms shed.

On a side note, I noticed Sram placed a subtle Avid logo on the back of the Eagle derailleur I have. I'm guessing a throwback to the rollamajig?
I remember when V-brakes hit and then the question was, do you get parallelograms, or do you go ghetto-stick?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I remember when V-brakes hit and then the question was, do you get parallelograms, or do you go ghetto-stick?
I had 1996 XTR with the parallelogram, and the rapid rise derailleur with built in thingamajig type roller!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have no idea how the model T in this country ever came to be.

Our shit is so stupid :rofl:
My current job is the first one I've had where I actually had to do engineering in freedom units and it sucks so fucking bad. The worst part is that I'm actually getting used to it and am getting to the point where I don't think in metric anymore, outside of work.

I should move.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I still have to deal with that crap with old dam designs.

Miner's inches.

How much water your city gets a month is determined in miner's inches. Look it up and think about drought, lawsuits, and tribal water rights demands. Fucking miner's inches.
Holy shit, what kind of damage did you do in your past lives to deserve such kind of torture? I just googled that. And I thought Freedom drill sizes were stupid...

You know what the worst part of that drill sizes chart is? My friend the machinist who sent it to me posted it in some Mexican machinists facebook group, and most of them were defending it, stating how well versed in the drilling arts you should be to deal with such a mess. And how fortunate you should consider yourself for doing so...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
(random / related) also discovered you can easily compress the top tube of a trek slash with your thumb. not sure if they're all like that, or just that sample, but you should definitely try to put your thumb through every one you see. not like a $4k long travel enduro frame shouldn't be somewhat impact resistant or anything.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
(random / related) also discovered you can easily compress the top tube of a trek slash with your thumb. not sure if they're all like that, or just that sample, but you should definitely try to put your thumb through every one you see. not like a $4k long travel enduro frame shouldn't be somewhat impact resistant or anything.
To be honest, that sounds like 100% impact resistant. Maybe not structurally sound, but impact resistant.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I might just buy a balfa bb7 when I replace my current metal trail bike.

High pivot - check
made from iron girders - check
Don't forget to carry an allen wrench and thread locker with you on every ride to tighten up the linkage that just loved to loosen halfway down the trail.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I still have to deal with that crap with old dam designs.

Miner's inches.

How much water your city gets a month is determined in miner's inches. Look it up and think about drought, lawsuits, and tribal water rights demands. Fucking miner's inches.
Holy shit. :rofl:

I'll stop complaining about how stupid imperial drill sizes are now.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Sorry for keeping beating the dead horse, but...

I love thirds, but seem to be the only one. For some reason my mind sees many situations where something is definitely less than 1/2, but probabably more than 1/4, so I say it's 1/3. No one else seems to think in thirds and the deli guys probably hate me when I ask for 2/3lb. They always give me 3/4.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I love thirds, but seem to be the only one. For some reason my mind sees many situations where something is definitely less than 1/2, but probabably more than 1/4, so I say it's 1/3. No one else seems to think in thirds and the deli guys probably hate me when I ask for 2/3lb. They always give me 3/4.
"i'd like 7/64'ths of a half stone of pastrami"

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
With the Hispanic deli workers I always ask for “punto seis seis“ or “dos tierces de libra” . Seems to get the point across.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I feel your pain, as I also think in thirds as well.

If they can't figure that out, do the conversion for them and just ask for 10 & 2/3 oz. :rofl:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Pivot Firebird 29er top tube is also rather squishy if you ever get a chance and to a lesser extent the downtube of the most recent generation Devinci Troy too.