Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That is a 25-30 dollar increase. I looked a week or so back. 121 and 126. I forgot a DD DHR2 when I ordered from zee Germans and was shocked as about 65-75 is what I paid.
DD DHR2 27.5 is the tire I'm looking for, well that and also a DD Assguy 29". I normally get tires from TBSbikes, but they are all out of the DHR2. Oh well, I guess I will wait and see, I don't really need them until July anyways.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Last time I bought Maxxis tires was DHRIIs in 2014 as I like to try new tires every year and I find that it helps to get a better feel of what casings, compounds and tread patterns I like or not. 2018 : Specialized Butcher Grid // 2019 : E13 TRS+ Trail // 2020 : Schwalbe Magic Mary SS Soft // 2021-2022 : E13 TRS Mopo Gen3 // 2023 : Continental Kryptotal R enduro soft.

So far, the E13 Mopo TR (1050g + Cushcore Pro) was my favorite, but this summer I'm riding on Contis Kryptotal Enduro soft (1160g) and Argotal DH ultra soft (1300g). All bought from the Germans at 65$cdn. The E13s were 50usd but they discontinued that compound/casing combination so I switched to Contis this year.

Even with the 30Euro shipping fee, getting a few tires and some other bits WAY cheaper than here, it's always worth it in my experience. Like Magura MT5s for 95$cdn, Magura brake pads for 20$cdn (75$ here WTF?!)... I've always had great experiences with Bike24, R2-Bike and Bike-components and I only get hit with duties and taxes once every 3-4 order. They all use DHL which give the package to CanadaPost once here, so if there are fees it's the 10$cdn processing + provincial taxes, unlike FedEx who charge like 70$ of processing fees on top of taxes.

But yeah, 150$ tires is one of the wrong things in the industry.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Noticed my chainring was not only looking flexy, but it actually was flexy on account of these fucking little bolts on the back of my shimano DM ring. Any body know if they sell those separately of do I have to buy a new (fucking) chainring?
20230227_150647.jpg

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Noticed my chainring was not only looking flexy, but it was actually was flexy on account of these fucking little bolts on back of my shimano DM ring. Any body know if they sell those separately of do I have to buy a new (fucking) chainring?View attachment 190108
The bolts that come in there have that "security" torx head to prevent us from removing them with normal torx wrenches. Easiest would be to try finding bolts with the right head shape to fit. Otherwise, email that photo to Shimano and ask them to send you some, and buy the wrench they require.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
They're not meant to be removed (or to remove themselves) from what I've read. I don't know why they insist of not machining rings instead of bolting those things together.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Noticed my chainring was not only looking flexy, but it was actually was flexy on account of these fucking little bolts on back of my shimano DM ring. Any body know if they sell those separately of do I have to buy a new (fucking) chainring?View attachment 190108
Some riders I know have had that warrantied. Those bolts are supposed to be factory set and forget.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Gotta be a mistake? If not, time to.switch to Continental or Delium.
I've heard the Delium options are good value in the US, although not available here in Oz. Are Continentals cheaper than Maxxis over there?

Here they're as much as Maxxis, if not more. I managed to get some to try from zee germans (R2-bike) for less than the cost of Maxxis tyres here.

If I could get Continentals for the same price, let alone cheaper than Maxxis I'd just run them. I've been super impressed with the last 2-3 weeks riding on the Kryptotals. The two friends that have stolen my bike to test them have ordered them as well.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've heard the Delium options are good value in the US, although not available here in Oz. Are Continentals cheaper than Maxxis over there?

Here they're as much as Maxxis, if not more. I managed to get some to try from zee germans (R2-bike) for less than the cost of Maxxis tyres here.

If I could get Continentals for the same price, let alone cheaper than Maxxis I'd just run them. I've been super impressed with the last 2-3 weeks riding on the Kryptotals. The two friends that have stolen my bike to test them have ordered them as well.
Glad to hear. Jumping off the Maxxis ship for the first time since riding XC Fire Pro. Will be trying Kryptotal and Argotal combo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They're not meant to be removed (or to remove themselves) from what I've read. I don't know why they insist of not machining rings instead of bolting those things together.
Why make things simpler when you can make them more complicated?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee

That sucks on the Delium tires there. The Continental tires run a little cheaper. Regular trail casing at about 65usd, 85 enduro casing, and about 95 for the dh casing.

Maxxis exo+ runs about 91 and DD about 100usd.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does anyone have an exploded ven diagram with how all the different casings and compounds related to one another, from different brands?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Does anyone have an exploded ven diagram with how all the different casings and compounds related to one another, from different brands?
Trail bike - EXO or EXO+ for Maxxis, SuperTrail for Schwalbe, Trail for Conti
Enduro (or smooth DH) - DD Maxxis, SuperGravity Schwalbe, Enduro Conti
DH (or hack Enduro) - DH all three brands

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Trail bike - EXO or EXO+ for Maxxis, SuperTrail for Schwalbe, Trail for Conti
Enduro (or smooth DH) - DD Maxxis, SuperGravity Schwalbe, Enduro Conti
DH (or hack Enduro) - DH all three brands
I personally feel at least in terms of sidewall stiffness, ST is kinda in between EXO+ and DD, and SG is in between DD & DH. Haven't used the new Contis yet since they're never in stock whenever I need new tires.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Was stoked to find some Aussie designed riding shorts for a reasonable fee on the weekend, went for a post work razz today.
And the fuckers are like wearing a stretchy garbage bag, the sweat is immense!
IMG_20230228_191340.jpg

The $40 5/10s, aside from looking dumb, are tip top.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was stoked to find some Aussie designed riding shorts for a reasonable fee on the weekend, went for a post work razz today.
And the fuckers are like wearing a stretchy garbage bag, the sweat is immense!

The $40 5/10s, aside from looking dumb, are tip top.
What brand are the shorts?

I swear 50% of my crew in Brissie have the $40 funky coloured 5-10s haha

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What brand are the shorts?

I swear 50% of my crew in Brissie have the $40 funky coloured 5-10s haha
DHarco, can't remember which ones.
They looked good for the money and fit my lard ass, so I bought them. But they were cheapish for a reason, no ventilation and the seams are only overlocked and pretty poorly at that, they don't look like they'll stay together too long.
They'll be fine for Winter or non humid days.

Have any of their 5-10s split on the blue paint?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
DHarco, can't remember which ones.
They looked good for the money and fit my lard ass, so I bought them. But they were cheapish for a reason, no ventilation and the seams are only overlocked and pretty poorly at that, they don't look like they'll stay together too long.
They'll be fine for Winter or non humid days.

Have any of their 5-10s split on the blue paint?
those shorts last ages with the 3 sets I use. Very durable.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
those shorts last ages with the 3 sets I use. Very durable.
Mine will last ages too I reckon, Winter use only.
If I wasn't pushing 120kg up hills it wouldn't be as much of an issue, so I guess I am what's wrong with the industry, I should have an E-bike.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I personally feel at least in terms of sidewall stiffness, ST is kinda in between EXO+ and DD, and SG is in between DD & DH. Haven't used the new Contis yet since they're never in stock whenever I need new tires.
Sidewall protection ST is better than DD and SG is better than DH in Maxxis offerings.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have never purchased any of their stuff, it looks great in photos but is it trash? More of a wolftooth guy over here...That stuff is solid.
Some of the hate comes from some of their claims on performance and whatever gains. If I remember correctly, Hambini looked into some of their claims that some products were tested by 3rd parties. But they wouldn't offer up the 3rd party tester or results.

And also the extraordinary price of some of their stuff.

Also some of the naming...

That chain ring above is $190. Just for the ring. You then need to buy the spider to mount it to your crank for an easy $130.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its roadie-cult level where they make ridiculous claims and charge ridiculous prices…for nothing special.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some of the hate comes from some of their claims on performance and whatever gains. If I remember correctly, Hambini looked into some of their claims that some products were tested by 3rd parties. But they wouldn't offer up the 3rd party tester or results.

And also the extraordinary price of some of their stuff.

Also some of the naming...

That chain ring above is $190. Just for the ring. You then need to buy the spider to mount it to your crank for an easy $130.

I have that chainguide, it didn't fit my frame but the OneUp off my other bike worked with no issues.
The marketing did seem pretty funny.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
For that money they could have at least put more than 4 minutes into modeling the trunnion interface.

Looks like a high schoolers first time playing with CAD. :drag:
Isn't one of the big worries with trunnion the possible fucking up of the threads on the shock body?

A steel, replaceable insert seems a good idea. Minimal additional weight I'd think, especially on larger/heavier coil shocks anyhow.

Caveat: I've no experience with trunnion stuff yet.