Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah. I might be a moany auld cunt. But I've never once found myself "infuriated" over an mtb video on youtube. Get a fucking grip people!
Since this seems directed at me, I'll bite. Attentive readers will have noted that I wrote "clickbait titles are infuriating". No, I do not get worked up about a Youtube video, but I hate clickbait titles, no matter if it's a Facebook suggested post, a Pinkbike article or a Youtube video. I just hate clickbait shit.

I also said that I like his riding. He is super gifted and he rides cool spots. I should also have said that I like his content-generating strategy of trying many bikes per year and commenting on them.

Basically, I would love to be able to like him more. I just think he should concentrate on the riding part, spare us with his long monologues in the studio and go easy on the clickbaity titles. At the end of the day, clickbait is good to generated clicks, but maybe not so much to keep subscribers.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wow, Specialized has lost it. Partnership with Fjallraven. OMG. I mean if you're into it....good on ya...or not :D

I mean really. Who doesn't want to ride in a onesy and socks and sandals?! @fulltrucker is that you? :P

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wow, Specialized has lost it. Partnership with Fjallraven. OMG. I mean if you're into it....good on ya...or not :D

I mean really. Who doesn't want to ride in a onesy and socks and sandals?! @fulltrucker is that you? :P

is it part of the gravel collection?!

dude looks pissed that he had to be wearing that, let alone be photographed wearing that.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The Specialized models wearing the "butter" collection also had this (understandably) pissed look. My guess is that those people were laid off and this was their last contract with Specialized before leaving and they had to do it to get their last check.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow, 1500 Aussie dollars for a battery, no wonder people cobble together AliEbaybaba stuff on old DH bikes.
Screenshot_20230416-100121.png

Somebody should design a frame around a Milwaukee MX 72V battery, at least you could have a second use for it and possibly write it off on tax.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Somebody should design a frame around a Milwaukee MX 72V battery, at least you could have a second use for it and possibly write it off on tax.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You'd have to have a really nice mount, the connections and slide mechanism is pretty shit on the M18, they don't like heavy rattle gun usage.
The MX is a different beast, they are almost a bike type form factor and you can get some serious storage capacity.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
pretty standard price for an Ebike battery
What did you think they cost?
Maybe 20% more than a power tool battery, last Husqvarna battery I bought was a 9.4Ah 36V pack and it was $400AuD for a 340 Watt Hour battery. Bike battery is 540 Watt Hours for $1500, over double the cost seems a bit steep, they don't even need to be high output cells on a bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Difference in volume of production.
Yeah I guess, just had a look at Giant batteries, they are a bit cheaper.
I'd think Giant would have to make as many batteries as Husqvarna and the Husq batteries have to be able to output at least 20A, Giant should only need under 10A output so they can use cheaper cells but they are still over double the price of the same capacity Husq battery*.

*On dollars per Watt Hour.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m pretty sure when I bought an extra 504 Wh Shimano battery in 2018 for my Shuttle at 20% off through Golden Bike Shop it was $4xx.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I’m pretty sure when I bought an extra 504 Wh Shimano battery in 2018 for my Shuttle at 20% off through Golden Bike Shop it was $4xx.
Depending on configuration. They're around £700 UK now at rrp.
A lot has happened since 2018

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
From an average American I see no irony in this statement whatsoever.
Pretty easy to moan about climate change while having the luxury of spending someone's annual income on a Fork.
The USA is outside the top 100 and the best part is CHINA even though it's way above all these countries didn't make the list.

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.21.13 AM.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
woah... Calm down Carol
top 100 what?
am I somehow supposed to know what that list means?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Makes sense, that's the Gwin version designed by the Czar of FSR. AKA the guy-who-has-an-addiction-to-chain-stays. I hope your buddy checked it well for cracks, especially if it's the plastic version.

Funny side note, the Czar of FSR is currently working for Intense on their DH frame. :D

The current Demo (2019+) works much better and is 148x12.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Surron's are motorcycles. And motorcycles offer way better value than any similarly priced bicycle. Are you new to cycling?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Surron's are motorcycles. And motorcycles offer way better value than any similarly priced bicycle. Are you new to cycling?
Surrons sell in bicycle quantities, not motorcycle quantities. They are a new, small company, much smaller than YT. Especially the aftermarket batteries are low volume. Mine are made in a guy's garage outside Denver.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Surrons sell in bicycle quantities, not motorcycle quantities. They are a new, small company, much smaller than YT. Especially the aftermarket batteries are low volume. Mine are made in a guy's garage outside Denver.
I hear the scales of volume argument often. Quite often, once you hit a volume, the price break ends. Does also go the other way and price keeps dropping but not as much I’ve experienced in industry.
Cycling industry is a Rip! No argument against that. It’s pure Marketing driven and it challenges my desire to ride strongly. I’m 50/50 Moto in my riding,comp.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I have been skeptical about the strength of those since I saw them, but there's no fucking way I'm buying anything from them after that episode.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The street car tracks in Toronto are rougher than some trails in the area, no wonder they gave up the ghost.
Happy to have not been seduced by the looks. Not the first broken one we’ve seen, but on a commuter?! Wild.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For what it's worth, sspomer has liked two posts on that story on the tech rumours thread. One were the guy said "yeah not after seeing how they handle warranty matters" and the other one that said "Ngl, 5Dev could've handled this better.". Just speculating, but maybe VitalMTB had a bad experience with them too?

The bike shop dude acted pretty childishly too and seems to be wanting much attention (WTF about his old customer suing him story?!) ( AND I find dudes wheeling through cars in the city and passing on red lights like that just plain stupid, but that's another topic) but 5dev should have kept it professional and realize how this would end. Now they look like a shit company on many sides and I won't ever buy any of their products either.