Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How is the soil quality? Have you tried with buying some top soil? Just adding more grass seeds with not solve soil problems? And the right amount of water is key too.
Everything started out as sod so probably had good soil. But yes, the soil under that layer is probably crap. Most lawns around here look similar—mine is probably above average. Only a few look stellar, probably with regular professional care.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would just buy a fresh layer of top soil every year and slowly improve the quality of the soil and it fertilises too. At my house the original owner laid down 2ft of soil so I am in good shape as you quickly get down to beach sand after that so its drains well too. However my lawn is in similar shape as yours from years of neglect and construction last year but at least the soil is in good shape and I can mix my own top soil from the sand and soil I dug up to make room for the trampoline to fill up holes and get it more level.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A thought-provoking “op-ed from the future”:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/opinion/ted-chiang-future-genetic-engineering.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

We really are on our way to a modern caste system, and indeed the rationale justifying this, as it were, is that those who do well generally do so because of their merits. This thought experiment argues that even if a magical wand could be waved to take away much of that genetic difference then the other systemic headwinds would overpower its effect.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
A thought-provoking “op-ed from the future”:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/opinion/ted-chiang-future-genetic-engineering.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

We really are on our way to a modern caste system, and indeed the rationale justifying this, as it were, is that those who do well generally do so because of their merits. This thought experiment argues that even if a magical wand could be waved to take away much of that genetic difference then the other systemic headwinds would overpower its effect.
Its far from just DNA.
Without going full kiyosaki-retard, I think the cummulative effect of knowledge about money passed down from generations used to managing wealth/surplus cash flow is far more important.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
$11 Uber Pool from deep Littleton/HR (south of 470) to the north side of Stapleton. I don’t see how this is sustainable!
Ever start a conversation with an uber driver about compensation?
They are slaves drunk on the 'freedom' of the gig economy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Its far from just DNA.
Without going full kiyosaki-retard, I think the cummulative effect of knowledge about money passed down from generations used to managing wealth/surplus cash flow is far more important.
There's that and also the implicit support network. Need $1k in a pinch? Turn to one's parents, not to a payday lender and start down that cycle…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Aya is 5 months old today. Well, she popped out 5 months ago–she would have been 3.5 months had she waited her turn.

She smiles at us but not at the distant big-lensed camera:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Refreshed Model S P100D Long Range Dual Motor Performance with the Model 3-style motors (but in swapped front/rear locations) runs 10.6 @ 127.

WHOA.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An opinion piece by Ted Gup, author in residence at Durham University in Britain: I don’t recognize America anymore. I have a way out.

This spring, I received a much-sought visa from Britain that allows me to apply for settlement in that nation after a total of three years of working and living there — as I have been doing off and on in recent years. Receiving it was an occasion for both celebration and sober reflection.

It represents an option to exit a United States I now barely recognize — one that almost daily distresses me with its xenophobia, its saber-rattling, its theocratic leanings, its denial of facts and science, its tribalism, and its petty and boorish president. I think of that visa as my “Trump card.” Come 2020, if the nation chooses to continue on this toxic path, it may well be my way out.
At some point we may go down this route as well. Got to work here until I can pay down all my various and sundry debts first, of course, but those won't last forever. Under the NZ and Canadian immigration points systems we should be a shoo-in, and if I can't work locally I can always do telerads from anywhere.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
An opinion piece by Ted Gup, author in residence at Durham University in Britain: I don’t recognize America anymore. I have a way out.

At some point we may go down this route as well. Got to work here until I can pay down all my various and sundry debts first, of course, but those won't last forever. Under the NZ and Canadian immigration points systems we should be a shoo-in, and if I can't work locally I can always do telerads from anywhere.
I can imagine the sanctimonious far right — the love-it-or-leave-it crowd — telling me that the country would be better off without me, or the left chastising me for abandoning ship. But if the United States represents a destination for those seeking a better life, it also recognizes, without prejudice, the right to leave, temporarily or permanently.
For some time now I've been actively encouraging teh wife-bot to see if she can get a Mexican citizenship. As I understand it she might be able to given that even though her dad was proverbial "anchor baby", it might be close enough for her to qualify. But she doesn't want to, she sees it as "abandoning ship". Her grandfather came to work in the shipyards during WWII, where he would breathe in the asbestos that would kill him in the early 90's, and never left. He raised a family that worked in the fields as kids and they all went on to become something better as adults. She says it would shame her grandfather. Some days I'm inclined to agree but others, well, I think it would be nice to have an out. Just in case.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Mountain Lion is GTG, at least at an 18 psi footprint.

99% dry. Splatter on downtube is from a ~200 foot section that’s not really muddy, per se, but is rather trail with a half inch of flowing runoff. This was just before the 3rd from last or so stream crossing, the one with the super tight rocks if one takes the bridge.

And taking the bridge is recommended. The creek is running high and fast, almost up to the bottom bracket on the first one after Through the Woods.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tesla repair update after they tore down the front end, updated the estimate, then put it back together:

- fender deemed repairable
- bumper cover, associated light, hardware to be replaced
- parts estimated to take over a month to get in
- current price is well over $2k

Therefore I shall be picking it up Monday (no free weekday time until then as I opted to bike today) and continuing to drive it until they call me and say the parts are in.

It was somewhat amusing to check on the car and see the frunk open when they were working on said front end:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just got around to adding the now 5-month-old as an authorized user on what fee-free credit cards of mine allow for it. (Some don't allow adding authorized users under 13 years of age.)

It may or may not fool FICO down the road, but certainly shouldn't hurt them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just finished up the slides for a lecture I'm giving on June 10. Besides that and a few elective after hours shifts for $$ I have nothing work-related that I must do for a solid 7 weeks.

(I will probably work on a paper or two, but of my own volition.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Bias lighting installed. MediaLight Quad XL.

Highlighting untidy cables was an unfortunate side effect! This is after cleaning that up a bit. Some will be unavoidable, like the copper colored speaker wires dead center, headed to the wall plate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Amazing. To nail the timing on the triples while in traffic on loose dirt...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Riding the Shuttle in Trail Mode feels way better than Boost. In Boost it’s faster, sure, but I feel like I’m constantly shifting in order to get anything resembling constant effort on my part. In Trail it is entirely proportional to my torque input so it feels natural, the difference being that I’m pushing a few gears taller than would be the case otherwise

I did my Mountain Lion loop today entirely in Trail Mode, at just about an hour on the bike. That trail at that pace (80% intensity on the downhills, minding arm pump and watching for/being polite to all the hikers, Trail Mode + my normal climbing effort on the uphills) is just right, IMO.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2423963024

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Tons of hikers and runners at Red Rocks/Dakota Ridge today. Most interactions were normal. One wasn’t, because it was with a 4 year old little girl apparently on her own. After I came across her, sippy cup in hand and all, and didn’t see parents anywhere near her I doubled back and walked and chatted with her until her oblivious mother (with a husky and a ~8 year old as well) figured things out and turned around on her own.

The 4 year old was super chill. She wasn’t concerned at all, for better or worse, and was happy to tell me about her two older sisters as we walked.

2) I totally misread the weather and wore my long sleeve Ridemonkey jersey for today’s ride. That was a mistake. I overheated at the top of Dakota Ridge. Oh well, like a sweatshop, right?

3) Last ride tomorrow morning for a bit. That’ll be 7.25 rides over 9 days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While I have a bit of time off the bike I’m going to drop it at Golden Bike Shop. I’m going with 800 mm alu bars (from 760 mm crabonz), whatever they recommend as far as seals/bearings/drivetrain parts, and new meats since EXO in the rear isn’t working for me.

At the recommendation of the local enduro racer fast guy I know from NASIOC I’ll try a Schwalbe Eddy Current in 2.8” in the rear, plus Cushcore. For the front a fresh 2.8” DHF in EXO+ will do.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Upcoming Toyota BEVs:

New Toyota city-car BEVs:

I’d rock that black cube thing or the three wheeler for my commute, especially if autonomous. Too bad most will likely be China only and not out for years and years.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Upcoming Toyota BEVs:

New Toyota city-car BEVs:

I’d rock that black cube thing or the three wheeler for my commute, especially if autonomous. Too bad most will likely be China only and not out for years and years.

I'd totally rock a BEV C-HR. Supposedly in China next year but with no stateside commitment. :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I do not want a C-HR. That beltline and pillars!

But I would very much like a PHEV AWD Sienna in my garage in place of the FCA unit, to keep the floor warm until the ID Buzz arrives at long last.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While I have a bit of time off the bike I’m going to drop it at Golden Bike Shop. I’m going with 800 mm alu bars (from 760 mm crabonz), whatever they recommend as far as seals/bearings/drivetrain parts, and new meats since EXO in the rear isn’t working for me.

At the recommendation of the local enduro racer fast guy I know from NASIOC I’ll try a Schwalbe Eddy Current in 2.8” in the rear, plus Cushcore. For the front a fresh 2.8” DHF in EXO+ will do.
Dropped off. Going to be one expensive bill next week!

800 mm new Enve crabonz bars and Ergon GE1 Evos
EXO+ DHF up front and an Eddy Current with Cushcore in the rear
New XT cassette and chain
Their highest level tuneup, Ultimate? Supreme? that includes rebuilds of everything save for the dropper (which is starting to go a bit)

I am supporting the LBS economy singlehandedly, yes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@canadmos In my extended hood, actually across the street from one of my co-workers, is an R32 Skyline.

It is also four doors. GTS maybe? I do not know such things. But definitely RHD and an R32.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Westy How is your thumb? Only moto for you still? My very loose right thumb has been getting a bit more unstable recently, which I only notice off the bike at this point.