Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Said software update should bring it Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: https://electrek.co/2020/04/24/tesla-autopilot-traffic-light-and-stop-sign-control-feature/

This appears to be a semi-janky feature: will stop automatically at every stop sign and traffic light that it recognizes, irrespective of whether it's green or red, unless one positively affirms to go through it by using the right multi-function stalk (as used for confirming suggested lane changes).

Will this be useful at all? Almost certainly not. But it does represent the first feature (other than visualization of traffic cones/trash bins) released for cars with the Full Self Driving package that is not part of Enhanced Autopilot's feature set.
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Short version: Better than I expected, but still not actually useful.

Long version:

I drove around the neighborhood tonight with TLaSSC enabled.

When enabled it limits cruise control set speed to the speed limit it has in its internal database. (It is not reading speed limit signs: one road in my neighborhood had its limit dropped 5 mph this year, with the signs changed. The car still thought the speed limit was the old one even after driving past such an updated sign.)

It was fairly reliable in detecting traffic control devices, counting down on its screen. For instance it might show "<stop sign displayed> Stopping at Traffic Control Device in 600 ft", and then count down to the device. It had a false negative: it failed to display this message (and failed to stop) at a (green) traffic light that it had recognized just fine going the other way.

It also had a false positive: after stopping correctly at a 4 way stop sign intersection and proceeding through after the stop on my affirmation (one click down on the right stalk) it thought there was another stop sign 20 feet past it. Artifact from red reflectors on parked cars?

Its choice of when to slow down for stop signs is a bit later and more abrupt than I'd typically do. I'd read that it takes off glacially slow after stop signs but thought it was an appropriate rate of acceleration--do I drive like an old lady? Apparently so.

As per what it's sold as in the Tesla description of the feature, it doesn't make any attempt to turn in intersections or the like. All it does is recognize traffic control devices and the explicit or implicit stopping line, and stop at them unless the driver affirms that it's green and safe to go (for traffic lights) or affirms to continue after stopping (for stop signs).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Locals: Mountain Lion is not good to go.

3B014F8B-650B-4514-8963-3A88D77F4DC0.jpeg

CE0D411A-5B22-4765-82FB-BA93D8671BD0.jpeg

Snow and ice from Through the Trees. I turned around there. Still a good ride. I cleared everything on the first climbing stretch—Dakota Ridge punishment laps have been good to me.

10 person-interactions on the trail: 7 hikers, 3 of whom I passed twice (up and then down).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Uh, if you all still have jobs--sensitive subject, I know--you might want to look into refinancing your mortgage.

Costcofinance.com showed 2.75% x 15 years fixed, 0 points, so I pulled the trigger... and the loan broker came back and said he can do better yet.

2.625% x 15 years fixed, 0.27 point lender credit to me. If appraisal is waived that'll be about $1000 net closing costs.

That is fairly phenomenal. Conventional jumbo loan on a primary single family residence, for the record.

Attn @stoney

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Uh, if you all still have jobs--sensitive subject, I know--you might want to look into refinancing your mortgage.

Costcofinance.com showed 2.75% x 15 years fixed, 0 points, so I pulled the trigger... and the loan broker came back and said he can do better yet.

2.625% x 15 years fixed, 0.27 point lender credit to me. If appraisal is waived that'll be about $1000 net closing costs.

That is fairly phenomenal. Conventional jumbo loan on a primary single family residence, for the record.

Attn @stoney
Actual Remaining Term: 4 Year(s), 5 Month(s)

You see any screaming deals on 5y ARMs while you were looking around? Asking for a friend. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Attn @stoney
Might have to look into it again, Didn't pull trigger on 2.875 a few weeks ago as the costs didn't make it worthwhile over the savings...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Might have to look into it again, Didn't pull trigger on 2.875 a few weeks ago as the costs didn't make it worthwhile over the savings...
Per this calculator

I'll save just shy of $29k over 15 years, assuming $1k closing costs. Over 10 years the savings is just under $25k, so it's really up front (due to the amortization).

Make sure to click on New Mortgage Details and adjust the closing costs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Attn @stoney
3.375 down to 3.25 would save me $5k over life of the loan and $55/m. I had an appraisal done 6 months ago and my current lender is on the list. Bet I can get it without the appraisal fee too...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
D4506FC4-B4D3-4177-8B1E-A48E6A5E7A57.jpeg

Have I posted this already?

Cake Osa. 10 kW, 90 km/h, 60 km range.

and they want $8,500 for that. Who in their right mind is lining up for those specs at that price?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What are the chances of having a normal ski season? Hmm

I have credits from Copper that I could use towards a Premier upgrade to an Ikon Pass next year. Not going to do Copper only again this season since elder kid will do Winter Park Devo if that’s happening.

I also can get the renewal price on a Loveland Pass Pass (heh) as recompense for my minimally used Pass Card this season.

Edit: Ikon has free transfer of pass value to 2021-2022 should it come to that, so I'll buy at least a pass for me on May 26 (their deadline is May 27). Might just do a 4 pack for the wife or use buddy passes for her. Loveland's deadline is Dec 1 so I'll decide late November.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Upside:

My and my wife's variable rate 1 mo LIBOR + 0% student loans reset this month to 0.45%! Also, I still have a job at 1.0 FTE and the same base salary. Wife continues to make no money so at least no net change there, and household spending is down.

Downside:

Still owe a shit ton of money overall to various parties. Current overall tally is $744,863 per mint. Although mathematically I probably could make it work if I liquidated, mentally this constrains me in the short term from life possibilities like emigrating to NZ (which would involve taking a pay cut + higher taxes).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Long term game I know, but still:

:shocked:
Yes. And seeing the economic ripples through even the medical world has been sobering.

I’m coming out of this a lot better than others I know in radiology.

On the upside I found out today that NZ actually doesn’t have higher taxes! Indeed my marginal rate would be lower. How that works is that like Northern Europe said highest rate is achieved shortly after (what I imagine to be) median income. Wider tax base vs Mitt Romney’s 47% here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So re that Di2 upgrade idea for my elder kid's bike: I had been having trouble contacting my LBS. They'd never pick up the phone. I figured they might be sitting around, despondent.

Well, it turns out that they are instead crazy busy! Booked out for service until June 15, estimated 200 bikes in the shop awaiting service, and they've sold out of their stock of bikes on the floor.

I guess I'll be wrenching on the bike (+ wife's trike that needs some brake attention) myself instead. Good for them, though!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stick a 9 speed grip shifter on there. I'd have given you one but I think they all went to @MikeD

A lot less painful then if she drops her bike on the drivetrain side.
I ordered up a 2006 SRAM X.0 9 speed Grip Shift from Amazon just now. Gonna give that a try before going full Di2. :D

Jeez, man... I coulda told you Mt. Lion wasn't ready to go. :D
So where should I ride tomorrow and Friday? I like rox. I do not like crowds or sheer ice. I have a CO parks pass.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is not a bad idea. Would you be free to ride socially distanced in the late morning period?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do they allow motorbikes at Floyd Hill?
That is technically unclear, since it's Clear Creek County, not JeffCo. But I think it's de facto allowed. Seen quite a few e-bike logged rides from there on le Strava.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

First time any vehicle has flipped in the small overlap test.
TIL a wrangler could get a worse safety rating than it already had.

Seriously. I drove one for 18 years and had zero illusions about how "safe" it was. Do people really buy these things thinking they are getting a volvo? :confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did I mention I bought another electric lawn mower? (The astute reader will note I bought then returned two in 2016, with one a corded weak job and another an 80V Kobalt battery powered disappointment.)

52E511B9-EA2D-419B-AB4F-18BB3AE075FC.jpeg

This latest one is a Greenworks 60V self-propelled 25” (!) dual blade jobber. Was on sale at Lowe’s for $499 including 4 Ah, 2 Ah batteries and a charger. It’s currently there for $100 more.

An update after mowing with it:

- not as quiet as I hoped but no vibration. Still using ear protection.
- 25” width is awesome. Combined with good self propulsion speed at the middle setting I just zip right through the task.
- didn’t get bogged down or clogged even in fairly heavy and tall grass
- tiny bag to catch clippings compared to my commercial (gas) Honda. Had to empty it three times and probably should have a fourth.
- cutting quality good when bagging
- more than adequate energy capacity. I had the 4 Ah and 2 Ah (at 60V) batteries in. It drained the 4 Ah halfway to do the back and front lawns and didn’t touch the 2 Ah pack (switches over automatically)

Verdict: I think this electric mower is finally a keeper!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did I mention I bought another electric lawn mower? (The astute reader will note I bought then returned two in 2016, with one a corded weak job and another an 80V Kobalt battery powered disappointment.)

View attachment 144963

This latest one is a Greenworks 60V self-propelled 25” (!) dual blade jobber. Was on sale at Lowe’s for $499 including 4 Ah, 2 Ah batteries and a charger. It’s currently there for $100 more.

An update after mowing with it:

- not as quiet as I hoped but no vibration. Still using ear protection.
- 25” width is awesome. Combined with good self propulsion speed at the middle setting I just zip right through the task.
- didn’t get bogged down or clogged even in fairly heavy and tall grass
- tiny bag to catch clippings compared to my commercial (gas) Honda. Had to empty it three times and probably should have a fourth.
- cutting quality good when bagging
- more than adequate energy capacity. I had the 4 Ah and 2 Ah (at 60V) batteries in. It drained the 4 Ah halfway to do the back and front lawns and didn’t touch the 2 Ah pack (switches over automatically)

Verdict: I think this electric mower is finally a keeper!
I love my robot mower. It was pricey but never have to think about mowing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I love my robot mower. It was pricey but never have to think about mowing.
I have two lawns separated by a locked gate and a gravel path. If I had just one contiguous lawn I'd have been all over the robomower myself.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have two lawns separated by a locked gate and a gravel path. If I had just one contiguous lawn I'd have been all over the robomower myself.
Don't tell me a man of you intelligence could not find a solution to that problem :-)

I just expanded the lawn to it reaches the other side of the house and made a nice slope for the mower which involved a lot of digging but totally worth it. It such a brilliant machine. I only need to have it running max 2 hours per day at the moment and maybe a little more when the new grass is ready for prime time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Took another FTP test on le Peloton tonight.

205 W after the 90% adjustment for 20 minute length. Perceived effort felt about right, but I felt a ceiling to my anaerobic efforts, which is probably related to my low-moderate carb diet.

I'll tease out my anaerobic capacity on Wednesday with a CP3 test after an easy zone 1 spin tomorrow night.

The approximation for how much energy is stored in one's active muscles' glycogen and thus quickly mobilized for anaerobic bursts via the CP3 test is:

([avg power over 3 min] - [avg power over the last min]) * (100 J/s / 100 W) * 180 seconds == [anaerobic capacity in Joules]

I'll look into this article when I have more time to burn/when it's not late at night wrt anaerobic capacity:

Max HR hit was 178 bpm. By the 220 - age approximation I should be 181.5 bpm. By the 207 - 70% * age approximation I should be 180 bpm max, so I was right where I should be.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Very nice package, IMO. Good price for a name brand mid drive (torque sensing >> cadence sensing!). 28 mph limit. Battery all in downtube. Light/fender/rack options for the commuting use it'd be well suited for.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Meh. Some name-lawsuit tomfoolery, but they also supported Ned Overend back in the day. That balances it out.