Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another way that this is cheap in a sense: if this rented dualie idea works out well, then it'd obviate a Cybertruck. Furthermore, said Cybertruck would have to be the 500 mile range, gonzo 2.9 second 0-60, tri-motor one if towing really reduces range by half as one would extrapolate from gas mileage data.

Ye olde Land Cruiser in driveway + either renting more modest ~3,500 lb trailers in future (recall this one is 5,400 and change dry!) or renting said dualie on occasion is much cheaper than a tri-motor Cybertruck.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Rifle Gap State Park. Much better idea towing this barge with a dualie than with the Land Cruiser, I think!
that's kind of the point. WTF do you need a 30' trailer for your small family??
seriously, have you ever towed something that large?
are you going to be the guy who closes 70 for hours while trying to get out of town?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's kind of the point. WTF do you need a 30' trailer for your small family??
seriously, have you ever towed something that large?
are you going to be the guy who closes 70 for hours while trying to get out of town?
My wife wanted this particular floorplan. It's in large part due to the age spread of the kids: baby goes to sleep first (and naps during the day). Therefore having a separate bedroom area was desired, in case the elder kids weren't enamored with sitting outside.

When they get older something more reasonable will be much more feasible.

I towed the Leaf on a U-Haul car carrier from Seattle to here. 2,200 lb trailer, 3,500 lb car. Parents' old Prius ate its gas engine halfway across Utah, so from there to here I had them and their stuff in the Land Cruiser as well. I was definitely at or more likely a bit above max GCWR, and the trailer just had surge brakes... and it was fine.

I think it most likely will be just fine as well with the giant trailer. The 1-ton will be much better suited to it than the softly suspended, underpowered-for-this-purpose Land Cruiser.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Don't forget to add the million dollars in gas to get it to Rifle and back. :D
Fuel tank capacity was also part of my thought process. I figure economy, gas vs gas, would be pretty similar, perhaps even better for the F-350 if it has the 10 speed as opposed the Land Cruiser's widely spaced 5 gears.

The Land Cruiser has a 25.4 gallon tank, the light coming on at 21 gallons used or so. Thus I'd be filling up every 120-150 miles.

:dead:

Capture.PNG

If I have the choice, I'll definitely pick the long bed crew cab off the lot (if Ford) given this! 250-300 mile range and then pay at the pump for the privilege, Brian HCM #1-style? Yes, please.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't want a Bronco (really, I don't!) but this is a nice set of photography of its mechanical underbits. Mmm control arms

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't want a Bronco (really, I don't!) but this is a nice set of photography of its mechanical underbits. Mmm control arms

I may explore one once the mortgage is no more.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Is it just me or does the 4 door version look like the Ford Flex? Which isn't a bad thing; if I had the cash I'd buy one of the v6 twin turbo versions of the Flex, it'd be an awesome road trip car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it just me or does the 4 door version look like the Ford Flex? Which isn't a bad thing; if I had the cash I'd buy one of the v6 twin turbo versions of the Flex, it'd be an awesome road trip car.
The Bronco Sport looks like a Flex, IMO. The sans suffix "real" ones look legit with short overhangs, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

2016 data:

Cliffs Notes: Even with making pretty good money, a minority of doctors live hand to mouth essentially, even in their 60s and beyond. Don't do that.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
$45-60k for something of that utility just seems crazy, albeit on par with Jeep pricing.
No one has ever purchased a Wrangler for practicality.

Edit:. And by Wrangler, I mean the two door. Not the 4 door "not a minivan" crimes against humanity that seem to be all the rage amongst castrated suburbanites these days.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No one has ever purchased a Wrangler for practicality.

Edit:. And by Wrangler, I mean the two door. Not the 4 door "not a minivan" crimes against humanity that seem to be all the rage amongst castrated suburbanites these days.
When I graduated high school a Wrangler was one of the cheapest new vehicles you could buy that was a Yugo like shitbox. I nearly shit myself when a friend spent $50K on one

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
When I graduated high school a Wrangler was one of the cheapest new vehicles you could buy that was a Yugo like shitbox. I nearly shit myself when a friend spent $50K on one
In Aug 2001 I paid 17k for a 98 Wrangler that was very well equipped. (Carpet and a rear seat!). I absolutely loved it, drove it for 18 years, almost to the day. No fucking way would I ever drop the kind of coin they want now for them now. I believe I have said it before, but I've come to believe they are the new Harley. Buy it for the image, when the wife won't let you buy an actual motorcycle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In Aug 2001 I paid 17k for a 98 Wrangler that was very well equipped. (Carpet and a rear seat!). I absolutely loved it, drove it for 18 years, almost to the day. No fucking way would I ever drop the kind of coin they want now for them now. I believe I have said it before, but I've come to believe they are the new Harley. Buy it for the image, when the wife won't let you buy an actual motorcycle.
In 1992 the MSRP was $10k, about the same as a base Mustang. Today a base Mustang is $27k, Jeep $39k

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, but can you take a mustang to the mall?

In a Mustang one probably would see and thus not run over the Mall Rock of Doom

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Redundant as it's a self-contained mini-tale for Twitter thread purposes, but here's my mini screed on the Tesla:

I'm selling my Tesla Model 3 with very high likelihood in the middle of next week. Buyer is flying out from Utah on Wednesday, assuming everything's kosher on a pre-purchase inspection Tuesday.

Why am I doing this? I never want to feel like my possessions own me, for one.

Is that a pathology of my personality, that I divest of material goods now and then to prove my independence of them? Quite possibly--line that up with my other pathologies, will ya...

Another reason is just to deleverage my life a bit. The Tesla is fairly priced for what it is, but it'll end up having cost me ~$600/mo in depreciation over my period of ownership of 18 months. That's inclusive of initial sales tax but also of the state and Federal tax credits.

If it comes to pass that I actually move to New Zealand as threatened I'd liquidate all my assets here, cars included, so this represents a first step of sorts.

(I still will have two cars left, anyway, so we're functionally covered just fine. PHEV minivan and a Land Cruiser.)

Realistically, I probably won't move away from Colorado. The Tesla is actually one of the best vehicles I've owned--and I've been through quite a few over my 38 years of life--especially for CO skiing, as per the top post's photo.

But I don't need it, and that's ultimately it.

If Full Self Driving (mine has the FSD package and is updated to HW 3.0) actually worked per Elon Time then it'd be a no-brainer to keep it, even at its non-negligible cost.

But it's very far from being able to drive me to Winter Park, over Berthoud Pass, on its own.

It's a marvel. It will do 0-60 mph in about 3.9 seconds, which is good for a grin every time. (This via the Acceleration Boost package.) It knows about stop signs and traffic lights.

But ultimately it's a car. It does not own me. And I shall part ways with it without a tear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've been doing the Peloton Intro to Power Zones "4 week" course for a few weeks. They have about 5 rides per week allotted so I've been at it for probably 3.

Anyway, today, as day 4 of week 4 nominally, I retook my FTP test. I think last time it was 220W x 20 min, so 209W adjusted 5% down for an hour. This time it was 239W x 20 min, so 227W at an hour as adjusted.

227W puts me at 2.16 W/kg. No world class or even locally competitive athlete am I at this power to weight, but I'm improving. Perhaps in a year or two I can drag myself up to 300W FTP (and shed some excess fat from where I sit).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) As I was waiting for Italian takeout to be ready this evening there was a dude who hopped in his Ram parked on the street, so I thought I’d look it up later:

Last-gen Ram 1500. Turbodiesel clatter so the EcoDiesel. RamBoxes, crew cab short bed, gross pearl white color, wheels looked like Laramie trim.

Given this in 4x4 with a few reasonable options that’s a $58k truck as a 2020, albeit no doubt discounted like all the 1/2 tons are. Yikes.

For that money one gets 1,800 lbs payload and 8,010 or 9,710 lb towing depending on whether 3.21 or 3.92 gearing. The payload seems like it’d limit the effective weight to around 8,000 lbs.

2) Wheelbase and towing musing.

My Land Cruiser (and the subsequent 200 series) has a 112.2” wheelbase. Per old school conventional wisdom that predates sway control hitches one should stick to a 20.5’ trailer at that wheelbase!

Recall that the trailer I’m renting is nominally 30’ 6”, possibly a few feet longer hitch to tail in reality. That’d imply an advisable 152”-162” wheelbase on the tow vehicle! 112” is a bit shorter than that, one will note.

Per Ford’s always-handy spec sheet one will note that the two available Crew Cab options (SuperCrew apparently being a term reserved for the F-150 crew cab, go figure) have 160” and 176” wheelbases, respectively.

I’ll still try to find a 4x2 long bed Crew Cab DRW F-350 when I peruse the Enterprise Truck Rental lots in September the day before picking up the trailer, but it seems that per the old adage either wheelbase should be fine. (As I think I mentioned before, the long wheelbase would be very beneficial for having a 48 instead of 34 gallon tank, regardless of engine choice.) I’d take a long wheelbase SRW over a “short bed” DRW, and 4x4 would be fine but totally unnecessary given a paved pull-through campsite.

3) From the above, unless I want to rent a super long tow vehicle each time (which isn’t a horrible idea!) then I should probably stick to something like the Jayco 16XRB for rent here for both weight and length relative to the Land Cruiser. They have a sway control hitch optional, and I’m opting for that for the current rental, fwiw.

This would in turn need to wait until the wife adapted more to camping and relaxed re the youngest kid’s nap and sleeping habits. That may be some time coming.

On this latter note of working around the Land Cruiser’s limits, recall that I’m getting a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 installed in the Land Cruiser this upcoming week, in theory the day after the Tesla leaves my hands.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re my estimated $6xx/mo including tax cost for my LR AWD, Acceleration Boost, FSD 3:

$4500 down + $499/mo x 36 mo works out to a 0 down price of $611/mo at Denver tax rates with the 2020 CO state EV lease credit, and that’s for a LR AWD Y without Acceleration Boost or FSD. It’s also over 36 mo, and my depreciation would be less if I’d held it 18 more months.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 7.49.11 PM.png

Tabata at 40 seconds on/20 seconds off, aiming for 170% FTP during the intervals, is quite tough.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rivian R1T

1,760 (which is really poor given that tongue weight must be accommodated from this!)
11,000, so again 1,100-1,650 in tongue weight alone possible! therefore a bogus figure
24.7 (5,885 + 1,760 + 11,000 as estimated GCWR, 754 hp)
The Rivian's payload to claimed towing ratio reminded me a bit of that for the Jeep Gladiator, which besides garnering Shane's scorn is a really oddly proportioned thing.

Chart via https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/2020-jeep-gladiator-towing-specs/

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.12.19 PM.png

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 8 speed auto

1,160 lbs payload
7,000 lbs towing

Account for 600 lbs of people and cargo and that leaves 560 lbs for tongue weight. That'd work out to a 3,700 lb trailer @ 15% tongue weight. That payload really kills it!

Jeep Gladiator Sport 8 speed auto with Max Tow package

1,535 lbs payload
7,650 lbs towing

Same 600 lbs off top for people and cargo gives 935 lbs for tongue weight. 6,200 lb trailer at 15% tongue weight then. That's much more reasonable. (Without the Max Tow package one gets a mere 1,105 lbs payload!)