Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anderson is 6'2. He could get to 175 but he'd be shredded, and would probably have to dehydrate to get there.
He cuts an average of 30 pounds to make 185, though. Cutting 40 pounds would be a hefty cut for anyone. But then again how HUGE would GSP look at 185?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
:stupid:

People (including me) seem to forget just HOW GOOD Silva is off his back because most people don't get that far.

Yes, Hendo was able to do some stuff on the ground, but he is also a serious world class wrestler. But remember what he did to Lutter? That was a BJJ clinic. Elbow strikes AND a triangle, done.
That's what I told my friend.

Anderson is similar to Chuck.

Chuck is not a horrible wrestler, but he is so effective striking, why not stay on his feet (and he has great sprawl).

Anderson is actually much more versatile.

I think the fight will see a lot of ground time, but Anderson will be the aggressor.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
When GSP was going to fight Hardy, he said he weighed almost 205 already. He was saying that when he fought Alves, he felt small compared to him, so he put on more muscle in a healthy way. He also takes a few weeks to cut weight by having a chef and eating properly instead of just cutting a few days before weigh in. Silva and GSP should fight at 185. Or really, who gives a sh!t what weight they fight at. I just want to see them fight. PRIDE used to do weird fights like that all the time. UFC should do some stuff like that.

Anderson SHOULD kill Sonnen. Sonnen doesn't look like someone that is even close to his level. Every time I think of Silva fighting someone, I think "he could lose this one". But when it's fight time, he looks like the definition of "pro fighter" compared to "expert" fighter. He's just so much better than anybody out there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Finally, we can speak of this.

Obviously the UFC is heavily promoting the Silva-Sonnen fight.

My co-worker, who is very knowledgeable, believes Sonnen will win. I am skeptical of anyone beating Silva.

I've learned over the years that I can't believe any of the hype. I actually bet money on Tito Ortiz to beat Chuck Liddell because of the advertising.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Finally, we can speak of this.

Obviously the UFC is heavily promoting the Silva-Sonnen fight.

My co-worker, who is very knowledgeable, believes Sonnen will win. I am skeptical of anyone beating Silva.

I've learned over the years that I can't believe any of the hype. I actually bet money on Tito Ortiz to beat Chuck Liddell because of the advertising.
I have a tough time picking anyone over Silva, but Sonnen does have some serious game and we all know what can happen in MMA. Sonnen is very well known around here as having incredible dedication to training and improving. He comes out of the original Randy Coture Team Quest in Gresham, not sure if he moved to Vegas to train with Randy or not.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, I did not watch the fights this weekend, but it sounds like Jon Jones was crushing.

Jones made Vladimir Matyushenko look like he'd never grappled before. The 23-year-old light heavyweight took advantage of a sloppy punch by Matyushenko, got the fight to the mat and quickly converted it into a dominant position Sunday. Jones moved into a crucifix and dropped 11 nasty elbows in a matter of seconds. Referee Herb Dean was forced to stop the fight, giving Jones his fifth UFC victory in just under two minutes in the main event of UFC on Versus 2 in San Diego.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
imo sonnen is going to get the sh*t kicked out of him . i wanted to believe the hype with sonnen calling out silva the way he has that's a pretty ballsey move imo but i was watching the ufc fight last night and saw his record 24-10 . then i lost hope in the guy if he was 24-1 i think he would stand a chance but i think with all of his sh*t talking he's doing silva is just going to go in there and punish the guy .

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yeah, Sonnen is talking A-LOT... a Motivated Silva is a very dangerous one. I think Sonnen is going to get systematically dismantled and eventually KO'd. If he can get silva to the mat I'll be cheering for him, but I doubt it will happen.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
i gotta say i hope silva utterly obliterates sonnen. With the mad **** sonnens been blathering on about to the most dangerous man ever in the ufc Silva is undoubtedly going to make a example of him. Sonnen acts like he hasnt fought tough dudes that attack. Henderson never gave up on Silva and silva out wrestled one of the worlds best wrestlers.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I can't wait to see this fight. Silva is going to kill him. Sonnen is going to be screwed every time the fight starts in another round. They'll be standing. That's where Anderson is going to knock out his teef. Sonnen can't submit anybody. He's just a lay n pray artist that wears people down. Even if he gets Anderson down, Anderson is going to be firing from the bottom. Chael doesn't stand a chance. I can't wait to see this one. I just hope Anderson doesn't try to disrespect him by dickin around after he kills Chaels confidence. The fight is going to be over before the 2nd round just because that's all it takes for Silva to get in someone's head.

Oh yeah, looks like my boy Gomi knocked out Tyson Griffin over the weekend. Go Gomi!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I am a big fan of Clay Guida. I saw him live at the first MMA fight ever in Cali, and he really kicked some A.

Matt Hughes should make for a good match.

And I am still hoping for a spinning back kick into Big Country's gut.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Matt Hughes is fighting Guida? Guida moved up?

I hope Dos demolishes that throbbing belly on Roy "the gunt" Nelson.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
"Oh yeah, looks like my boy Gomi knocked out Tyson Griffin over the weekend. Go Gomi"!
yeah it was a good fight and quick k.o. griffin didn't even know it happend . he left himself open and gomi got a good shot in and griffin fell face first onto the mat . gomi then jumped on him got a couple more shots in then the ref stopped the fight . griffin jumped up and didn't even know anything happend .great to see gomi doing good but he said he wants to win the title and take it back to japan , not good .

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
"I hope Dos demolishes that throbbing belly on Roy "the gunt" Nelson".
i know dos santos is a bad mofo but i like nelson and think he's a good fighter .so part of me wants to see nelson win this fight , but i think dos santos is a major contender for the belt so i want him to beat nelson then lesnar .

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish he'd get serious move down to light heavyweight. I'd even root for him... as is I cant respect him over fighters that work super hard... I just think he's lazy
I still think he's a middleweight. I mean damn, he's 6' 263! Franklin is 6'1" and moved UP to 205. He should drop to 205 at a minimum.

What was that dude from Portlands name on TUF (strip club bouncer). He dropped like 50 pounds after the show so he could fight a class (or 2?) down.

<edit> Josh Haynes! He was 330lbs when he started fighting.

Josh Haynes said:
It is true. At my heaviest I weighed 330lbs. I am 5'9" tall. How is it possible? I have a condition called hypothyroidism that is mainly the reason the weight came on so fast. I let it run wild for a long time before I realized I needed to go get checked out. I gained about 100lbs in under 12 months in the beginning. This was what prompted me to get checked out. Sucks but it is true.

Now I spend my time working to correct the issue. I train hard, diet hard and stay conscious about everything I do in regards to my body and training. No excuses here, I let it happen and I will fix the issue. I spoke a bit about my diet and routine on the TUF forum under the questions thread. This explains a bit about how I took most of the weight off.
He now fights at 170lbs @ 5'9".

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I was just on sherdog. They pretty much said that Chael doesn't have a chance against Silva. He doesn't have knockout power, doesn't have submissions and he doesn't ever try to get out of guard. They say that when it goes to the ground, Silva will probably just lock his legs so Chael can't really do much, then wait until the ref stands them back up again.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dana is pimping the hell out of Chael, too. Not sure if they are hyping it so people will tune in, or if they actually think he has a snowballs chance in hell of surviving the 1st round.

I guess they wouldn't get as many viewers if it was promoted as the next victim.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It wouldn't get that many viewers if there wasn't a bunch of hype. Anderson has been losing fans for the last year and a half.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Dana is pimping the hell out of Chael, too. Not sure if they are hyping it so people will tune in, or if they actually think he has a snowballs chance in hell of surviving the 1st round.

I guess they wouldn't get as many viewers if it was promoted as the next victim.
i was listing to an interview on sirus with joe rogan last week and he was saying what a bad ass sonnen is and he shouldn't be taking for granted . so with seeing some of his interviews about fighting silva and joe rogan saying he's bad ass i started thinking he might upset silva . then i saw his record last week and like jimmydean said "just another victim kid" .

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, I figure that Rogan has to talk good about every UFC fighter since he's a UFC employee. I hope Silva uses Chael as a reminder of what he's capable of. I hope he damages Chael like he did Rich Franklin the first time.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
There are die-hard Chael supporters out here...buying into the hype...hook, line, and sinker...it's redikulous. He might get through the first round....maybe. If he gets to the championship rounds, I'll chug the remaining beers in my house. Hype-machine in effect!!!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
He'll be screwed each time another round starts. They'll be on their feet where Chael can get jacked.