Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i caught my rear derailleur cable three strands from breaking yesterday. cut it, pulled it and replaced it. best part? didn't have to micro-adjust at the barrel, tension was perfect when i pulled and tightened at the bolt. it's the little things.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
the pedal insert of one of my $580 CAD carbon raceface next R cranks unbonded itself. anyone shocked? *crickets*

off for warranty. now - to rinse & repeat, or sell & keep running my 15 yr old unkillable atlas alu cranks?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the pedal insert of one of my $580 CAD carbon raceface next R cranks unbonded itself. anyone shocked? *crickets*

off for warranty. now - to rinse & repeat, or sell & keep running my 15 yr old unkillable atlas alu cranks?
NO WAY!! :D

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Raceface = sub par and or broken.

So yes I'm surprised one broke :rofl:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I had the Atlas XC cranks and they were flexy noodles that chewed the shit out of shoes, they made me appreciate how good Shimano cranks were.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
20211124_174112.jpg

Not mine but a ridding buddy turned himself into a lawn dart on our recent Tasmanian riding trip. Somehow not too bad after that one (sore neck mainly). Another guy got an ambulance trip after knocking himself out for a solid 8 minutes and ended up with a wild concussion which ended his riding/drinking for awhile.

The only other notable mechanical the whole trip was 3 separate pairs of newish DMR Vaults all had a bushing migrate out of the pedal body dislodging the seal and causing a racket while pedalling. Weird. My old ones were fine but the guys running newer ones all had the same issue.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 168118

Not mine but a ridding buddy turned himself into a lawn dart on our recent Tasmanian riding trip. Somehow not too bad after that one (sore neck mainly). Another guy got an ambulance trip after knocking himself out for a solid 8 minutes and ended up with a wild concussion which ended his riding/drinking for awhile.

The only other notable mechanical the whole trip was 3 separate pairs of newish DMR Vaults all had a bushing migrate out of the pedal body dislodging the seal and causing a racket while pedalling. Weird. My old ones were fine but the guys running newer ones all had the same issue.
That sucks about your buddies (and pedals). Hopefully they are all good.

The sun in your picture looks so warm and refreshing. Winter sucks.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The sun in your picture looks so warm and refreshing. Winter sucks.
I just got back to Brisbane. Its summer here but our riding time is winter normally. Its 30ºC, humid as fuck and we're on flood alert with 70-100mm per day of rain expected for the next week.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
My set I got at the beginning of summer only made it a couple months before I had the same thing happen.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My set I got at the beginning of summer only made it a couple months before I had the same thing happen.
Weird hey. wonder if they changed a tolerance or something else or if they've always been a bit hit and miss. Those guys that did it are gonna try for warranty and see what the reply is

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not my bike but this happened at yesterday's race. Dude was super lucky because he was standing up and cranking when it let go. Massive crash but walked away. Both levers weren't even tight really. I wonder if the hinged lobster clamp on the brakes isn't great on carbon bars. He did say he'd had a minor off on an earlier stage so maybe it copped an impact?

20220220_111744.jpg

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not my bike but this happened at yesterday's race. Dude was super lucky because he was standing up and cranking when it let go. Massive crash but walked away. Both levers weren't even tight really. I wonder if the hinged lobster clamp on the brakes isn't great on carbon bars. He did say he'd had a minor off on an earlier stage so maybe it copped an impact?

View attachment 172288
Too much Oz sunshine is the obvious answer. Try moar Sunblockers next time, or ride at night.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

View attachment 172288
I scrolled from bottom to top, I thought the crown was cracked, but it's just a spiderweb.

So if you buy the combo you could be running a cracked stem and have your bar snap, fantastic.

I have been lucky, I am on my fourth carbon bar and only one cracked but that was a manufacturing defect that I should have noticed, then again, so should have QC, hahaha!

View attachment 172288
Say no to carbon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

View attachment 172288
The bar breaking caused the crash?

Brakes have some serious scratches on them that would seem to me that they would need to be attached to something to get, said scratches also align with scratches on the bar.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The bar breaking caused the crash?

Brakes have some serious scratches on them that would seem to me that they would need to be attached to something to get, said scratches also align with scratches on the bar.
Let's be real here:

- Sram brakes
- Maxxis semi-slick DHF model
- Crabon bar (a Renthal at that)
- No Secus on the 38
- Rider is probably even less skilled tha @toodles

This guy was asking for it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 172288
A guy I know had that happen in the middle of the Trans BC race a few years ago.

Dude stuck a stick in the broken bar and finished the the race.

F that...haha

But yeah that must be gnarly. One thing of those things that I never want to experience - knock on wood.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A guy I know had that happen in the middle of the Trans BC race a few years ago.

Dude stuck a stick in the broken bar and finished the the race.

F that...haha

But yeah that must be gnarly. One thing of those things that I never want to experience - knock on wood.
Haha that reminds me. A few mates did the Trans Tasmania enduro the other week. This happened on the 2nd day and the guy whittled an internal splint from a stick, and used a tent peg for an external splint and rode the last 3 days with it.

1645477187545.png

I've done three of the Trans Enduros and on each one there have been multiple broken bikes. The first Trans NZ, three Treks broke chainstays. One guy did a successful splint there with a couple pieces of aluminium angle section and a surfboard fibreglass repair kit.