Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Raceface is pre broken before purchase
its just a matter of time
I thought their SixC carbon bar was one of the more durable carbon bars?

I'm too friggen careless to run carbon bars, and also 100% know I'd run them damaged longer than I should because they're expensive to replace and I'm a moron.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I thought their SixC carbon bar was one of the more durable carbon bars?

I'm too friggen careless to run carbon bars, and also 100% know I'd run them damaged longer than I should because they're expensive to replace and I'm a moron.
lol. mine last years. but i'm a tentative rider who certainly never smashes things or wrecks. also @jackalope that was dirt not a scratch...you can breathe again...

gonna hit some random remote shit on friday. if you don't hear from me again you know why.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got a SixC bar too, no issues. My general philosophy though is to buy 1 level "higher" than you need, so if it's my XC bike, that's running a Hixon SL 780 bar/stem thing, which is supposedly for at least trail riding, but still lighter than a skinny NextSL+100g stem. Got a few DH bars on other bikes, crabon, but they seem to be holding up well to tagging trees.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I got a SixC bar too, no issues. My general philosophy though is to buy 1 level "higher" than you need, so if it's my XC bike, that's running a Hixon SL 780 bar/stem thing, which is supposedly for at least trail riding, but still lighter than a skinny NextSL+100g stem. Got a few DH bars on other bikes, crabon, but they seem to be holding up well to tagging trees.
I didn’t get that memo. I just got an 83mm spindle for my Next cranks haha
Weight weenie destiny dice roller.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A 1.5-2" tear from tread to sidewall, went completely through the center of a side knob too.. Maxxis Dissector 29 2.4 exo+ new 60 tpi.
This exo DHRII with a similar sized cut survived for 6months until the tread was bald with two automotive patches inside it holding it together and it still held up tubeless.

Polish_20220610_165458647.png

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
1655336954820.png

:(

2016 Transition Patrol Carbon seatstay. Noticed a crack on the weekend when I took the wheel off, so emailed them a picture asking if it was superficial. Got a response today saying it looks "more than the paint, don't ride it". Rode it anyways (thinking it was just the paint). Sure enough, I shouldn't have ridden it! Luckily, nothing bad happened to me or any other part of the bike.

Timing sucks as this weekend is my annual fathers day extravaganza at my buddies who has a house at one of our better local riding spots... Fingers crossed I can find a loaner bike.

the crack I saw on the weekend:
1655337341446.png

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
View attachment 177780

2016 Transition Patrol Carbon seatstay. Noticed a crack on the weekend when I took the wheel off, so emailed them a picture asking if it was superficial. Got a response today saying it looks "more than the paint, don't ride it". Rode it anyways (thinking it was just the paint). Sure enough, I shouldn't have ridden it! Luckily, nothing bad happened to me or any other part of the bike.

Timing sucks as this weekend is my annual fathers day extravaganza at my buddies who has a house at one of our better local riding spots... Fingers crossed I can find a loaner bike.

View attachment 177781

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 177781
Yeah, zig-zag pattern of busted fibers, as they bust, the paint on top of them cracks. Here's my Pivot when I checked it for a known issue with the 429SL:

IMG_5836.JPG
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5840.JPG

They ended up replacing the frame with the 429SL V2, which was redesigned in this area.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Knock on wood... I have bent multiple aluminum bars, but no issues with carbon Sixc
I have run sixC for maybe ten years, nary a problem. But I am an old lady that NEVER crashes. :busted: .
lol. mine last years. but i'm a tentative rider who certainly never smashes things or wrecks.
Same here, SIXC is one of the tougher carbon bars out there. I've crashed on all mine a few times.
Worth noting they've gotten a little stronger and heavier each version. Never managed to break any, but I do downgrade the old bars to a lighter-duty bike every few seasons to be safe. As with any carbon bar though - no crappy clamps (esp. anything made by sram).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
oops.jpg

Not mine, but one of the girls at Trans Madeira. Not even her bike - wrecked hers so got a loan bike to finish the race. Crashed and snapped the bar (at the lever clamp originally I think), then rigged up this setup to roll down the last stage and avoid a DNF. Tough cookie.

Not really a reflection on the bar - a lot of shit was getting destroyed. I wrote off/wore out two sets of brake pads, a WTB seat, an X01 mech and chain.

*edit* speaking of which - some poor unlucky bastard put an XX1 AXS mech into an I9 wheel wrecking both until it rotated around and snapped the seatstay on a S-Works Enduro. Oooofft

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 177780

View attachment 177781
Pulled the seatstay off today:
1655495707524.png

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Norco bike? The Sights have all been doing that. I've replaced my the broken bolts on my friend's bikes with non-hollow bolts for now
yeah…. What sort are you using? These look profiled to act as a cap and seal up a bit. But they are made out of bread…