Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Please tell me you have a Cunningham, Yeti PRO, or Doug Bradbury in there somewhere? Maybe even one of these? If so I can send you some lowball offer cause well it's all I have got.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 5.19.05 AM.png

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Please tell me you have a Cunningham, Yeti PRO, or Doug Bradbury in there somewhere? Maybe even one of these? If so I can send you some lowball offer cause well it's all I have got.

View attachment 160691

I never understood the point of that frame architecture. Were the cranks not noodly enough that they wanted more BB flex?

I guess the water bottles were easier to reach.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van

did i somehow forget that you had a lahar? what was the story behind this one? original owner?

and a zerode? aaaand a pull shock yeti?? are the other two frames equally exotic (can't id)? quite the collection, there.

the 1st gen S8 was my first proper big bike (in red, as well). broke that. and it's replacement...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

did i somehow forget that you had a lahar? what was the story behind this one? original owner?

and a zerode? aaaand a pull shock yeti?? are the other two frames equally exotic (can't id)? quite the collection, there.

the 1st gen S8 was my first proper big bike (in red, as well). broke that. and it's replacement...
I got it off of a guy named Ross who spent a few seasons in Châtel, FR a long time ago. We rebuilt it 2 times at the bike shop in Champery (made headset cups the 2nd time for it after getting sick of the glue’d in headset bearings) and I mentioned I would be interested if he ever sold it. There were a couple around here and Morzine back then.

No, the other two are Scott Voltage FR frames but I helped design them so I kept a couple.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I got it off of a guy named Ross who spent a few seasons in Châtel, FR a long time ago. We rebuilt it 2 times at the bike shop in Champery (made headset cups the 2nd time for it after getting sick of the glue’d in headset bearings) and I mentioned I would be interested if he ever sold it. There were a couple around here and Morzine back then.

No, the other two are Scott Voltage FR frames but I helped design them so I kept a couple.
You are making feel bad,do I need took go dig up some fork’s? Those look like 2000(forks)?
Avy

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I never understood the point of that frame architecture. Were the cranks not noodly enough that they wanted more BB flex?

I guess the water bottles were easier to reach.
Zap wanted a bike without chainstays so his under chainstay mounted u-brakes stopped getting the chain sucked into them.
That bike is like Homer’s clown car, the results of a MBA “bikes of the future” article.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
What forks are you going to dig up? I don’t want to make you feel bad.
No,I was saying you took a lot of picture’s which was cool. Couple of em being the Fork’s. Hence I should dig around. I have, 2 02 Monster,66RC2X,DJ,and the Pearl of the Fleet,#31 of only 300 made,the 98 Mr.T 6”. Don’t know how to get em all?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
No,I was saying you took a lot of picture’s which was cool. Couple of em being the Fork’s. Hence I should dig around. I have, 2 02 Monster,66RC2X,DJ,and the Pearl of the Fleet,#31 of only 300 made,the 98 Mr.T 6”. Don’t know how to get em all?
Avy

Attachments

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice dh-8. Used to have one for a bit. Mine had the extra linkage on the shock though.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Zap wanted a bike without chainstays so his under chainstay mounted u-brakes stopped getting the chain sucked into them.
That bike is like Homer’s clown car, the results of a MBA “bikes of the future” article.
The Nishiki ALien was the cost-effective variant of that idea. Not sure what a Cunnigham would fetch now but I could see $10K easy. I wish I had kept my 87 Stumpy and Fisher AL1 they would be worth some okay money maybe.

Also, @buckoW did you guys get the Zerode to test it out as the Specialized guys did? They had one before I began distributing them and had me come and check it out.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I feel much better about the boxes of old useless bike shit I still have now
Yeah,too much stuff. It’s funny,I wanted to build a Highline(raw) with that raw Mr.T. I have in the Box Saint Drivetrain. The first Saint,forgot which model? But Wade had it on his Rocky.2006? Not the cranks,have Race Face for that. What ta do.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
well more grip shifters for me then.........
I reckon. I have Never ran grip.My hand is too big. I would be shifting in air by accident trying to do anything. I don’t care for SRAM. Save for their chains,which I love.
Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nice dh-8. Used to have one for a bit. Mine had the extra linkage on the shock though.
It was a DH-6 but with the paint of a DH -8. That bike blew up shocks every two weeks like a clock. Maybe that linkage would have helped that? Those DH-8’s were had pretty modern geometry for their time. I got it from Chris Herting when he worked at Yeti before he started 3D. Anybody remember 3D? Chris O’Driscol rode one with Myles Rockwell in a Kranked movie.

@ianjenn Nothing work related on that one I just like interesting bike designs and I would let friends know that I‘d be interested if they ever changed frames. I traded bike parts for it and that was about it. There are a lot of bike parks in close proximity to each other around here and I’ve been here for 20 years. People just kinda bring me stuff.

A Katipoo and a Keewee would be nice to have for the NZ theme but I’m not a really a collector. More of a hoarder.... if it comes to me then I might keep it.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I feel much better about the boxes of old useless bike shit I still have now
It is so much worse than what I showed there, haha. I’m glad I could help. What you got? Any Carpiels or sick freeride huck stuff? A friend set up his Armagedeon with only 9” of travel and light parts for racing. It worked pretty good like that.
My colleague will buy any old Syncros cranks and stems if any of you guys have anything.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It was a DH-6 but with the paint of a DH -8. That bike blew up shocks every two weeks like a clock. Maybe that linkage would have helped that? Those DH-8’s were had pretty modern geometry for their time. I got it from Chris Herting when he worked at Yeti before he started 3D. Anybody remember 3D? Chris O’Driscol rode one with Myles Rockwell in a Kranked movie.
Oh nice, I didn’t look closely. Had a dh-6 as well (Schwinn straight six). Mine also blew shocks and was incredibly frustrating as a result... was not compatible with my huck to flat stage and getting that shock rebuilt required going to nationals and finding the rock shox trailer. Loved that bike though. Decent at trail riding too. Super linear.

I definitely remember 3D.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It is so much worse than what I showed there, haha. I’m glad I could help. What you got? Any Carpiels or sick freeride huck stuff? A friend set up his Armagedeon with only 9” of travel and light parts for racing. It worked pretty good like that.
My colleague will buy any old Syncros cranks and stems if any of you guys have anything.
running any karpiel in longer travel mode was dumb. They actually worked really damn well in whatever the lower leverage rate was.

As saturated as this area was at one time with those things (The karpiel biz was here), I'm kinda bummed I didn't grab an old 2nd gen disco. A buddy of mine who used to kill it in US pros on one still has one.

I've just got an old sparkleen green/purple max backbone speccy frame with a risse seatstay, betd chainstay and a swinglink off a first gen enduro that all works pretty well together.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh nice, I didn’t look closely. Had a dh-6 as well (Schwinn straight six). Mine also blew shocks and was incredibly frustrating as a result... was not compatible with my huck to flat stage and getting that shock rebuilt required going to nationals and finding the rock shox trailer. Loved that bike though. Decent at trail riding too. Super linear.

I definitely remember 3D.
Yep! I had 2 shocks for that bike and it seemed like one was always in for service and the other one on the bike was blown. I got a Foes DHS Mono after that Yeti. Those early Schwinn Factory Homegrown frames were made in Durango, i think.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
running any karpiel in longer travel mode was dumb. They actually worked really damn well in whatever the lower leverage rate was.

As saturated as this area was at one time with those things (The karpiel biz was here), I'm kinda bummed I didn't grab an old 2nd gen disco. A buddy of mine who used to kill it in US pros on one still has one.

I've just got an old sparkleen green/purple max backbone speccy frame with a risse seatstay, betd chainstay and a swinglink off a first gen enduro that all works pretty well together.
Justin Leov had all the crazy Yeti rail prototypes when he lived in Morzine. I would have liked to get one of those but I spent all the money I had back then on more laps.

Is this the old DH stuff collectors thread now?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004

If you ever sell the Lahar, sell me it I need another one in my life to compliment my one.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
yeah a yeti rail would be a good museum piece for sure

those bassboat blue hardtails were the first bike I ever rode that made me think mountainbiking was feasible and not just dirt road cyclespandexheartrateshit. Looked cool and you could throw them around.
Speaking of Yeti-Rail,my boy Gwin rode that in his 10th place Finish on his pro debut no? Or was that the 9 kidwoo? That was a bad lookin bike. Wish I could ride one.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Id like to find one of the first ones they did that had the rail as the top tube

The frames both weighed 30lbs, and broke, or yetied as the nomenclature goes
My Lord how beautiful are those Yeti’s. That one shot(frame)had the Top Rail? It was the only one I saw. He has one of them at his Parents house,not sure which one,it had two flats and just sitting on the side. You know it was Gary Housman(spelling?)who brought Gwin to Yeti. Get um Gwin!
Avy
Sorry bro,I know what you mean,that is not on the Top Rail. I remember it was on it,not below it. I have not seen that Frame before? Was it before or after the top tube Frame?
Avy

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Idk, yeti just kept coming up with bizarre stuff. They do with the SI. When I saw the rail frames I just couldn't take that seriously, there was no way it was going to make it. Didn't they call it the 303 or something?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Idk, yeti just kept coming up with bizarre stuff. They do with the SI. When I saw the rail frames I just couldn't take that seriously, there was no way it was going to make it. Didn't they call it the 303 or something?
Yea the 303. They were good* bikes. But they weighed a ton, and from what I heard on a podcast the pro team ones had to be rebuilt like every other run.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
When I heard the name was gonna be "303" I got all excited thinking that was the travel in mm. Kinda made sense since that's almost exactly 12". Considering I live in Colorado it shouldn't have taken a couple weeks to remember that's the area code for Denver/Golden/Boulder where Yeti is.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My Lord how beautiful are those Yeti’s. That one shot(frame)had the Top Rail? It was the only one I saw. He has one of them at his Parents house,not sure which one,it had two flats and just sitting on the side. You know it was Gary Housman(spelling?)who brought Gwin to Yeti. Get um Gwin!
Avy
Sorry bro,I know what you mean,that is not on the Top Rail. I remember it was on it,not below it. I have not seen that Frame before? Was it before or after the top tube Frame?
Avy
The one I'm talking about was the very first prototype, like 2005 or so when gwinn was still digging ditches and riding his 20". He came later.

It had a twin top tube with funky carriage that was way bigger than the ones that went into production. I think Ross milan had one, which would explain breakage.