Quantcast

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Ive been running the 2011 Evo Ti's for the last 2 weeks and ive been blown away by the performance.

After running 40's for the last 2 years I wasnt sure what to expect. Id heard lots of good reviews about the new 888s but still a bit unsure after all the negativity around them.

The control I seem to get through rough sections is crazy with the 888s, it just eats everything. Havnt noticed any brake dive and I havnt touched any of the settings since getting them, spot on straight away.

Also from what I can see, they are the lightest coil DH fork? Lighter than 2011 40s and Boxxer R2C2 anyway.

After only 2 weeks I wouldnt know of any long term problems but id defiantly take them over a set of 40s now. Havnt riden boxxers in years but im not a fan of them.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
and you dont think changing the oil 3 times a year is ridiculous? i had my 888's oil changed once a year and it didnt look bad at all...and thats with riding every weekend.

its funny how Boxxer owner's try and justify that constant oil changes(3 for you) and having to re-lube their fork all the time is okay.
How is that constant? 3 times a year with a season from april to october is really that often for you? Is it really so hard to spend some time checking your bike every couple of months? I'm not justyfing. I have to do something on my bike even more often so what's the problem? Not to mention that oil changes in the boxxer as incredibly easy and fast.

Are you annoyed by the fact that you have to CONSTANTLY wash your bike to keep it clean? We need a self cleaning bike for the marz people. Oh maybe it should also push itself up the mountain. Yes, I'm calling you lazy ;)

Also if being lazy is the last argument marz fans have than you answered the question why am I not running the 888. I'm not lazy enough to really be hyped by "look at my bitchin' forks, no service even after I was riding in the acid snowstorms of mercury. hardcore man!"

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
The 888 is past it's prime. They were good when other companies still did not fine tune their compression dampening. But now that companies like fox, rock shox, bos, elka, and dare I say it...Manitou, have really progressed the technology in their cartridges. Marzocchi seems like that have been set back a couple years right after they were bought out by sr suntour. I don't know about now but I don't get a good vibe off their forks.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
So you finally found out, why you got the new cartridge? That's awesome:thumb:
hahha, actually, both myself the local service rep havent had a reply from Marzo yet. I checked out the original cart, it looks exactly the same as the RMA replacement :think:

One thing the service rep did mention is fine bits of dirt, not sure if that will affect anything, but if the dirt's fine enough, it will explain that silver button's lack of proper function. It's that button that gives the detention when u turn the gold adjuster. the old button is practically stuck, indicating either the spring inside is stuffed, or it's packed with dirt, which in turn might have affected the shim stack's performance. That ws the service rep's stab in the dark at the problem, but right now, i dont care. I'm just amped my fork is back to being better than new :P
but one thing i do get from this whole thing, is a set of shims! At 140 Euros per shim :eek: from the marzo ITA e-shop, it's worth more than their weight in gold! :thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cliffy: do yourself a fava and get the stiffer spring. we about the same weight, and i too had the preload cranked to nearly full on the stock spring.
im about 220 and find the stock spring fine w/ almost no brake dive....even before i had the fork re-shimmed.

Marzocchi seems like that have been set back a couple years right after they were bought out by sr suntour.
before you start babbling more, do some research on who actually bought them

its great that everyone who is hatin has ZERO time on one but trys to compare it to their old forks. it seems from the few people who have spoken up about the fork, they all seem to love it.
how about we compare all new Boxxers to the first batch of sh!t forks.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
The 888 is past it's prime. They were good when other companies still did not fine tune their compression dampening. But now that companies like fox, rock shox, bos, elka, and dare I say it...Manitou, have really progressed the technology in their cartridges. Marzocchi seems like that have been set back a couple years right after they were bought out by sr suntour. I don't know about now but I don't get a good vibe off their forks.
your infos seems more like past it's prime...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
hahha, actually, both myself the local service rep havent had a reply from Marzo yet. I checked out the original cart, it looks exactly the same as the RMA replacement :think:

One thing the service rep did mention is fine bits of dirt, not sure if that will affect anything, but if the dirt's fine enough, it will explain that silver button's lack of proper function. It's that button that gives the detention when u turn the gold adjuster. the old button is practically stuck, indicating either the spring inside is stuffed, or it's packed with dirt, which in turn might have affected the shim stack's performance. That ws the service rep's stab in the dark at the problem, but right now, i dont care. I'm just amped my fork is back to being better than new :P
but one thing i do get from this whole thing, is a set of shims! At 140 Euros per shim :eek: from the marzo ITA e-shop, it's worth more than their weight in gold! :thumb:
there you go: moar shimz for less!!!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
How is that constant? 3 times a year with a season from april to october is really that often for you? Is it really so hard to spend some time checking your bike every couple of months? I'm not justyfing. I have to do something on my bike even more often so what's the problem? Not to mention that oil changes in the boxxer as incredibly easy and fast.

Are you annoyed by the fact that you have to CONSTANTLY wash your bike to keep it clean? We need a self cleaning bike for the marz people. Oh maybe it should also push itself up the mountain. Yes, I'm calling you lazy ;)

Also if being lazy is the last argument marz fans have than you answered the question why am I not running the 888. I'm not lazy enough to really be hyped by "look at my bitchin' forks, no service even after I was riding in the acid snowstorms of mercury. hardcore man!"
Funny because I remember that some engineers from Santa Cruz Bikes (if I remeber correctly) said that the number one piece of advice they'd give to mountain bike owners is to stop washing their bikes so often.

All other things being equal, even if you have other stuff to fix on your bike every now and then, wouldn't it be better if you could spend LESS time doing that overall?

When you choose to bash a redesigned, improved product Þbased on previous missteps by the company in the past, especially without even trying the product, it just makes you seem a bit...well, the words "vindictive" and "silly" come to mind. From reading the thread, it seems as if the arguments that Marz fans have are performance, and now, reliability at the same price point. All you seem to argue are things in the past, and the "laziness" of an entire group of consumers.

It really seems as if most of the people with negative comments about Zoke haven't had any experience on the new products. If the new forks ride well and require less maintenance I fail to see how that's a BAD thing.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Funny because I remember that some engineers from Santa Cruz Bikes (if I remeber correctly) said that the number one piece of advice they'd give to mountain bike owners is to stop washing their bikes so often.
I've been saying that for years and people think I'm nuts. The more maintnenance you do, the more you HAVE to do. Seriously. The people I know that do the most maintenance on their bikes have the most problems. I rarely wash my bikes and don't do any unneccessary "fixes" and rarely ever have any problems. And no, I do not check rotor bolts or pivots before every ride. Heck, I have an '06 SX trail and never once checked a pivot bolt.

Of course, I live near those SC engineers and rarely ride in the wet or mud. I guess I was also tramatized by having to rebuild the Zyzzxx after every run all those years ago.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been saying that for years and people think I'm nuts. The more maintnenance you do, the more you HAVE to do. Seriously. The people I know that do the most maintenance on their bikes have the most problems. I rarely wash my bikes and don't do any unneccessary "fixes" and rarely ever have any problems. And no, I do not check rotor bolts or pivots before every ride. Heck, I have an '06 SX trail and never once checked a pivot bolt.

Of course, I live near those SC engineers and rarely ride in the wet or mud. I guess I was also tramatized by having to rebuild the Zyzzxx after every run all those years ago.
I let the mud dry out and then brush it off.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I let the mud dry out and then brush it off.
Squirt it down and hit it withtbe air compressor..... works decent... don't use high pressure water and spray bb directly... with the air hose hit it at an angle to avoid slamming water Into the bb.....love mud rides, snow and rain rides.....breaks up the dust in the eyes.... adds a different spin on logs, rocks, roots and wood structures

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not justyfing. I have to do something on my bike even more often so what's the problem? Not to mention that oil changes in the boxxer as incredibly easy and fast.

I think that's the worst argument I've read in this thread so far. You're trying to turn the benefit of long service intervals into some garbage about lazy owners?

I've owned at least 15 boxxers since they switched to semi-bath (2006); something keeps me coming back to them, but maintenance is definitely not one of the reasons.

It's a royal pain having to change the lower lube and seal grease every month to keep a boxxer feeling good, and a huge difference from the marzocchi days when I would service a fork once a year and then actually be disappointed because it didn't feel any better (because it never started feeling bad in the first place).

NOK seals rocked, marzocchi's bushing system rocked. I'm not sure if they've got their dampers sorted out yet but if they do that in a sub 3kg chassis then I would happily try one again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

All other things being equal, even if you have other stuff to fix on your bike every now and then, wouldn't it be better if you could spend LESS time doing that overall?

When you choose to bash a redesigned, improved product Þbased on previous missteps by the company in the past, especially without even trying the product, it just makes you seem a bit...well, the words "vindictive" and "silly" come to mind. From reading the thread, it seems as if the arguments that Marz fans have are performance, and now, reliability at the same price point. All you seem to argue are things in the past, and the "laziness" of an entire group of consumers.

It really seems as if most of the people with negative comments about Zoke haven't had any experience on the new products. If the new forks ride well and require less maintenance I fail to see how that's a BAD thing.

Where did I bash marz? I find it silly that having a different opinion on ONE point in the topic on RM means you have different opinion on them ALL. WTF?

Seriously read my previous posts: I had 07 rc2x, liked it but it had some issues I didn't like. I would LIKE to try a new gen marz but I'm not to eager to throw money at it before I try because of the reasons I mentioned in the previous posts.

btw. Spending less time is cool but really even if I spend a whole day ie. 8h fixing my bike 3-4 times a season it's not going to kill me. Seriously it's 3-4 days a season usually it's closer to 3-4h if I want to look over everything, have a beer and pizze while doing it. Why is that a lot for some people?

As for washing too much. I have no problems with my bikes unless I crash. Apparently some people must be washing their bikes more ;)

UDI - sorry but that's not a problem for me. I'm not pretending I wouln't like to service my boxxer less often but it is not a selling point for me like it is for some of the marz fanboys. I may have explained it wrong. I just claim that if the main reason you buy one fork over another is maintanance that is lazy for me. Not wanting to maintain your bike as often is normal ;)

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
im about 220 and find the stock spring fine w/ almost no brake dive....even before i had the fork re-shimmed.

before you start babbling more, do some research on who actually bought them

its great that everyone who is hatin has ZERO time on one but trys to compare it to their old forks. it seems from the few people who have spoken up about the fork, they all seem to love it.
how about we compare all new Boxxers to the first batch of sh!t forks.
your infos seems more like past it's prime...

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/3197/sr-suntour-becomes-biggest-in-bike-suspension.html

After Marzocchi was taken over by Tenneco Inc. in August 2008, the complete production of the bike suspension products was switched to SR Suntour. All Marzocchi suspension forks as well as all shock absorbers are now produced at SR Suntour’s HQ and hi-end production unit in Changhua, Taiwan. This facility was expanded in particular to cater for the Marzocchi production.
I want you both to read what has been written. SMD!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you should re-read what you posted. in no where in that article does it say that Marz was bought by SR Suntour. it says production was switched over to them after being TAKEN OVER by Tenneco

now that SR Suntour is producing all forks for the renowned Italian brand called Marzocchi.
Marzocchi’s new owner Tenneco Inc.....
now i want you to read what has been written.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
you should re-read what you posted. in no where in that article does it say that Marz was bought by SR Suntour. it says production was switched over to them after being TAKEN OVER by Tenneco

now i want you to read what has been written.

You are right there. But, I would like to think when a fork is owned by an auto parts company and produced by SR Suntour, it has a high chance of being sh!tty.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You didn't really give me any support for marz there. All you did was call me dumb. Can you please tell me how the buy out was a good thing?
while i cant speak for their business plan, their model lineup has increased significantly. and after their initial hiccup, they continue to make great products like they used to

edit:
im sure this doesnt hurt either:
Marzocchi’s new owner Tenneco Inc. is one of the world’s largest designers, manufacturers and marketers of emission control and ride control products and systems for the automotive OE market and the aftermarket. The company is based in Lake Forest, Illinois; has a yearly turnover of about US$ 6.2 billion and approximately 21,000 employees worldwide.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
while i cant speak for their business plan, their model lineup has increased significantly. and after their initial hiccup, they continue to make great products like they used to

edit:
Well, the fact that tenneco makes mediocre OEM parts for Hyundai, Suzuki, Ford makes the Marzocchi product a lot more desirable, doesn't it? McDonalds is a multi billion dollar company, but I don't see them doing research about how to make their food healthier. Companies like these care less about their product and more about their wallets. IMHO I would rather have my fox 40 built by a company who specializes in suspension and likes to innovate, rather than a company that just specializes in mass producing parts. While you might make a good point on another planet, your reasoning does not apply here. Ih8whenyoudon'tmakesense.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009

edit:
Well, the fact that tenneco makes mediocre OEM parts for Hyundai, Suzuki, and Ford makes the Marzocchi product a lot more desirable, doesn't it? McDonalds is a multi billion dollar company, but I don't see them doing research about how to make their food healthier. Companies like these care less about their product and more about their wallets. IMHO I would rather have my fox 40 built by a company who specializes in suspension and likes to innovate, rather than a company that just specializes in mass producing parts. While you might make a good point on another planet, your reasoning does not apply here. ih8whenyoudon'tmakesense.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well, the fact that tenneco makes mediocre OEM parts for Hyundai, Suzuki, and Ford makes the Marzocchi product a lot more desirable, doesn't it? McDonalds is a multi billion dollar company, but I don't see them doing research about how to make their food healthier. Companies like these care less about their product and more about their wallets. IMHO I would rather have my fox 40 built by a company who specializes in suspension and likes to innovate, rather than a company that just specializes in mass producing parts. While you might make a good point on another planet, your reasoning does not apply here. ih8whenyoudon'tmakesense.
I buy the product, not the company. As long as it's good and they treat the customers right I don't care who owns them. It can even be that evil kid from pokemon.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Actually, Hyundai and Ford are multibillion dollar companies because they focus on making their vehicles drive well and reliably. McDonalds is another multi billion dollar company, and they spend ALOT of money on research for how to make their food healthier. And it shoes, if you compare food quality of McDonalds (and caloric intake) its way higher quality and lower calories then most of the other fast food joints out there (although they still have their gut buster options). At any rate, its not that I think you're entirely wrong, I just think your examples sucked. But actually, I do think you're entirely wrong too.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
Actually, Hyundai and Ford are multibillion dollar companies because they focus on making their vehicles drive well and reliably. McDonalds is another multi billion dollar company, and they spend ALOT of money on research for how to make their food healthier. And it shoes, if you compare food quality of McDonalds (and caloric intake) its way higher quality and lower calories then most of the other fast food joints out there (although they still have their gut buster options). At any rate, its not that I think you're entirely wrong, I just think your examples sucked. But actually, I do think you're entirely wrong too.
Hahahaha! You are soo dumb! I can't believe you even said that!! My chest hurts from laughing so hard!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
what, the misspelling? shoes? sorry, I meant "shows." Do you really want to get into this? take a step back and look at your success with claiming marzocchi was owned by suntour. I suggest using google, its your friend, and look before you leap.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
william42 is absolutely right.

McDonalds actually do pump a large chunk of change into research on creating healthier options, not because they feel like being healthy, but thats what laws and regulations make them do. His argument stands, where your falls.

Now back on topic.

the new 888s evo and evo Ti, while we can all appreciate being careful when buying a brand that ruined its rep in 2 seasons. Try before you buy- always a solid choice regardless of brand.

There is a lot of talk going on here based purely on speculation, as i read it, most of those bashing the new 888s havent even tried one :) try one then comment with a qualified opinion, dont bash them because marz is part of a larger company that makes OEM parts of ?? quality, thats just plain retarded.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
McDonalds spends a ton of money on research on how to make their food "healthier." if they didnt, they wouldnt be changing with the market.
comparing McDonalds to Tenneco/Marzocchi make my lol all over myself....hold on and let me get a tissue to clean it up

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
mcdonalds adding healthier options to their menu doesn't change their other items. The flavor of the burgers and fries is still chemically engineered in a lab then added into whatever the sh*tty regional supply of potatoes and meat paste is to ensure consistent flavor.

that being said, marzocchi should bring back the monster t. they need to diversify their menu.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
william42 is absolutely right.

McDonalds actually do pump a large chunk of change into research on creating healthier options, not because they feel like being healthy, but thats what laws and regulations make them do. His argument stands, where your falls.

Now back on topic.

the new 888s evo and evo Ti, while we can all appreciate being careful when buying a brand that ruined its rep in 2 seasons. Try before you buy- always a solid choice regardless of brand.

There is a lot of talk going on here based purely on speculation, as i read it, most of those bashing the new 888s havent even tried one :) try one then comment with a qualified opinion, dont bash them because marz is part of a larger company that makes OEM parts of ?? quality, thats just plain retarded.
That's a bit BS. They only put cash into research of finding the Cheapest (!!!) way to fit the norms. In every country they are pushing them. The looser the norms the less healthy mac is.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mickey d's tricked me into ordering one of their Mocha coffee iced diabetic comas not long ago. While they may have added salads to satisfy the grazing gazelle in your family, they're tipping the balance back to your cousin the slothful sow

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i dunno, i guess what they teach at marketing/economic seminars and how things work for large companies is all BS then.

we do case studies on these companies for a reason, they do try to go for the best economical option, which isn't always the "cheapest", if you bothered to read what i stated, i said they are forced to do so via laws and regulations.

As hard as it is to believe to those who know nothing about this, customers are actually also requesting healthier options with the same flavour.

Fact is still, they do use a lot of money on research into having healthier options.

Stick to facts not calling BS when you got no clue what your on about :)

and again back on topic, no real experience with the new 888s ?? then how can ya comment on their performance??

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Hahahaha! You are soo dumb! I can't believe you even said that!! My chest hurts from laughing so hard!
I hate to compare things to things I see on Pinkbike, and I don't know you, so maybe you're not really like this in real life, but everything you posted in this thread just reminded me of the drivel I saw on that site the one time I tried to read their forums. The lack of real world understanding, the quick descent to name calling, the absolute knowledge that your understanding of the world is bulletproof, it's like the whole thing is just copied and pasted from the juvenile rantings on that site.

The internet is a funny place.