that...was amazing
quote:
Rob "ADD...ya Iv got that for real, never get bored"

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Don't dribble, if everyone could go that fast, everyone would have been 8 secs up on Peaty. Sam made a big mistake, thus the rest of the field got lucky.
Exactly. Anyone else, if they tried to go that fast, would have eaten serious **** on one of the hundreds of rocks on the way down. Hill's run was perfect, held it together 100% and then managed to drop it on arguably (for him) one of the easiest sections of the course - I mean who here thinks Sam has a weakness on loose sweeping turns? Nope, that's his thing, and he was very unlucky to get it wrong when it couldn't have cost him any dearer.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hill's run was ridiculous . . . just ridiculous. Even over a grainy, stuttering internet feed, you could see that he was on a completely different level than the rest of those guys. A few of us guessed that he was going to try to cut that last corner way to the inside, but I don't think anyone thought he'd lose the race there.

Although I'm bummed to see him lose, in a way I'm kind of inspired too - because knowing that even superhumans like Hill can succumb to the laws of physics once in while, it reminds me that we're all on a level playing field.

Great race!!! Thanks, Freecaster!

--JP

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Don't dribble, if everyone could go that fast, everyone would have been 8 secs up on Peaty. Sam made a big mistake, thus the rest of the field got lucky.
Have no fear, no one dribbles more than the great akula. You know all those dudes can 'go' that fast, the question is can they control that speed, obviously Sam could not today.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Exactly. Anyone else, if they tried to go that fast, would have eaten serious **** on one of the hundreds of rocks on the way down. Hill's run was perfect, held it together 100% and then managed to drop it on arguably (for him) one of the easiest sections of the course - I mean who here thinks Sam has a weakness on loose sweeping turns? Nope, that's his thing, and he was very unlucky to get it wrong when it couldn't have cost him any dearer.
Agreed. Yet bailing is the price you pay for taking much risks. Probably some fanboys will treat this mistake as some divine pusnishment that had to do nothing with Sam while it actualy was his mistake as almost all bails are (not your's are when you are run over by someone :P )

Jun 11, 2004
Have no fear, no one dribbles more than the great akula. You know all those dudes can 'go' that fast, the question is can they control that speed, obviously Sam could not today.
Wouldn't say it was more unlucky maybe?

He looked pretty in control in the "gnar" and seemed to get unlucky in an easier section........

I mean Hill looked faster than the rest up top....and the splits showed it!

Anyways, that was all just awesome to watch!

Thanks Freecaster!!!!!!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That said, I can't deny the possibility that a few of the top guys could have ridden the top of that course as quick as Hill did, and decided to hold back as a crash is too much of a risk at the Worlds. Who's to say Gee couldn't have gone that quick, the guy aint slow? :)

But still, for entertaining me (and that's what I want!) Hill gets my vote :)

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
well i don´t understand why hill is running with brakes....I think he could ride brakeless also because of the weight.....the man must have the biggest balls of all....when I saw him flying down the big jump I thought he well be shooten straight into the crowd......amazing ! also if he didn´t win......

gee is a great world champ but I think peat would be too !

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yah, thanks freecaster, really awesome.

was pulling for peat the whole time, but I think I feel worse for Hill after that then Peat. To have such a huge fall and still pull such a fast time - amazing

edit: this is a pretty intense podium! Hill and Peat look pumped for Gee!

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Hell ya, I never said I did not enjoy your dribble....

Oh sh1t, I hope someone does not save that as a sig ;)

Awesome seeing Rachel on podium, getting crazy....not the usual serious french womans podium topper!
What I'm wondering is where does damned sexy French shell-suits, ala MC-Hammer are gone? The looked like the back street boys got sponsored by Adidas last year in Fort Bill

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
gee won... nuff said, and will be wearing the stripes for the next year and a half, thats what matters most

however as in champery, hill, despite coming third proves once again that he has something that no one else has.

congrats to gee it is good for the sport to have new guys taking titles each year... but you can call me a fanboy all you want, rainbow stripes or not hill is still the best rider in the world.

will be interesting to hear what his competition has to say. all these guys have massive respect for each other and they are all aware his run was on another level.... and it is obvious the best man did not win today, but thats racing and thats what makes world champs the hardest event.

edit: it is funny that when the same thing happened to peat a few years ago, no one was giving barrel any credit for his win... even to this day folks discredit it.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
That said, I can't deny the possibility that a few of the top guys could have ridden the top of that course as quick as Hill did, and decided to hold back as a crash is too much of a risk at the Worlds. Who's to say Gee couldn't have gone that quick, the guy aint slow? :)

But still, for entertaining me (and that's what I want!) Hill gets my vote :)
Yeah.....I can agree with that!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Page 69 hot.....

The Athertons picked a great year to win (olympic year)....they get to wear the rainbows twice as long....all this season and next....smooth marketing move ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
This is the most bittersweet podium presentation I've ever seen. Even Gee looks a little sad!
Well he probably feels a bit bad that he's the guy that has stopped the guy that every brit wanted to win from winning, and he himself is a brit, how ironic :)

Steve deserves to win for being so close at the age of 34, and having come close so many times. Sam deserves to win for being ****ing amazing, and Gee deserves to win for, er, actually winning. Should have been no podium, just one big top step for all of them :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The Athertons picked a great year to win (olympic year)....they get to wear the rainbows twice as long....all this season and next....smooth marketing move ;)
You what? Oh just because the worlds was done earlier in the season this year you mean? And that was because of the Olympics was it? Didn't know that.

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Well he probably feels a bit bad that he's the guy that has stopped the guy that every brit wanted to win from winning, and he himself is a brit, how ironic :)

Steve deserves to win for being so close at the age of 34, and having come close so many times. Sam deserves to win for being ****ing amazing, and Gee deserves to win for, er, actually winning. Should have been no podium, just one big top step for all of them :)
Could not have put it better myself

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i have to say that watching this live is amazing...

it is one thing to read about it, that sam was up huge, crashed and finished third... that gee came down last to win, as did his sister, etc etc

but to see it live takes the sport to another level... i am glad we get to see what makes racing so great especially at the highest level.

cheers to all that pulled it off... you have taken the sort leaps and bounds ahead of where it was a few years ago:cheers:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i wonder how many people are gonna get a commencal now? ;)

now the real question is...

do i stay up & wait for 4X to start?

or do i get a quick couple of hours of sleep & risk the chance of missing it.... damnit!

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Wouldn't say it was more unlucky maybe?

He looked pretty in control in the "gnar" and seemed to get unlucky in an easier section........
That particular crash has nowt to do with luck. He pushed the front end too hard through a corner and went down. No unlucky rock/tree/rut/fanboy problems, just pushing the bike past its limit.

Anyone how likes watching Superbikes, MotoGP etc should see exactly where I'm coming from here

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Seriously, am I the only one who saw it IMPOSSIBLE for Hill...or ANYONE on the planet to hold that corner when he ripped it off the top of that jump?? He came off the jump and I was thinking "He's ****ed. He just ****ed up" and THEN I saw him yank it to the inside and my gut sank...
I don't remember who right now, but some one a page back nailed it by saying that Gee could have gone that fast, but held it back enough to stay up. That razor's edge...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
And I haven't decided which bums me out more...granted, Sam's wash within sight of the finish is horrible, but I feel for the guys/girls that flatted at the top and lost chains.
Which would dig at your flesh more: KNOWING you had it it and lost it, or not knowing what you could really have done?

Personally, I think knowing you made a mistake, and over-rode the course would be slightly easier to accept.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Seriously, am I the only one who saw it IMPOSSIBLE for Hill...or ANYONE on the planet to hold that corner when he ripped it off the top of that jump?? He came off the jump and I was thinking "He's ****ed. He just ****ed up" and THEN I saw him yank it to the inside and my gut sank...
I don't remember who right now, but some one a page back nailed it by saying that Gee could have gone that fast, but held it back enough to stay up. That razor's edge...
I hope he won a tissot watch or something for 'longest jump' or 'highest speed'. ;)