Quantcast

World Series discussion thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
beats me. In football, they purposefully try to fake out the other team all the time.

Is it a rule or just professional etiquette.
Etiquette I'd guess.

BV. I'd think that with only a little practice in the right situation a pitcher could easily throw a gimme strike when someone with a drawn out routine is busy tapping the dirt out of their cleats while standing in the box. It makes sense that it is not a regular thing but in a big game you have to pull out all the stops.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Etiquette I'd guess.

BV. I'd think that with only a little practice in the right situation a pitcher could easily throw a gimme strike when someone with a drawn out routine is busy tapping the dirt out of their cleats while standing in the box. It makes sense that it is not a regular thing but in a big game you have to pull out all the stops.
Oh, I forgot...

anyone can call a Time Out when play has stopped. A baserunner can slide into second, get dirty, be safe, call TO and step off while he shakes dirt out of his crack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you ever Been By Fenway Park ? it is surrounded by Bars ! and I use to be able to say I had gotten drunk in every single one of them! ( and thrown out of 3 of them )
I've only been to Boston once and I was too drunk to remember if I was anywhere near Fenway. I notice a patern. That day I did manage to get kicked out of a bar, a hockey game and a taxi cab.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've only been to Boston once and I was too drunk to remember if I was anywhere near Fenway. I notice a patern. That day I did manage to get kicked out of a bar, a hockey game and a taxi cab.
I think staying sober in Boston is more difficult than getting drunk in Boston.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
all these fairweather fans in colorado, suddenly snapping up WS tickets for hundreds if not thousands of dollars....where were they for the regular season?

the rockies (rank/team/# of home games/gross attendance/average/% of capacity):

11 Boston 81 2,970,755 36,675 101.4
19 Colorado 82 2,376,250 28,978 57.4

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
all these fairweather fans in colorado, suddenly snapping up WS tickets for hundreds if not thousands of dollars....where were they for the regular season?

the rockies (rank/team/# of home games/gross attendance/average/% of capacity):

11 Boston 81 2,970,755 36,675 101.4
19 Colorado 82 2,376,250 28,978 57.4
good job looking at a very specific piece of data that is not at all representative.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm looking forward to seeing how much red invades Coors Field these next three games. The Sox have a good draw in every park.
When Jenn and I attended an Atlanta/Boston game, we were talking to some of the Braves fans. They all said that attendance for their games was usually decent, but every time Boston showed up, it was a complete sellout.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
When Jenn and I attended an Atlanta/Boston game, we were talking to some of the Braves fans. They all said that attendance for their games was usually decent, but every time Boston showed up, it was a complete sellout.
MBC and I are going to take to the road to see some Sox games next year, since getting tickets to Fenway is so damn difficult. I'm thinking Tampa and Baltimore...maybe some interleague games, depending on who they play. We should have gone to see the San Diego series this past seson. :disgust1:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Camden Yards was a really beautiful ballpark. Jenn's mom scored us some club level seats, nothing like watching a ball game and having a guy standing there to fetch you beer and nachos :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Camden Yards was a really beautiful ballpark. Jenn's mom scored us some club level seats, nothing like watching a ball game and having a guy standing there to fetch you beer and nachos :D
We opt for the club level seats (if available) at every park we go to. Most club seating in MLB parks is cheaper than grandstand seats at Fenway, so they seem like a bargain to us. Our $50 club seats in Pittsburgh were friggin MINT.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ok, lay the representative data set on me.
hell if I know it off hand, but I believe the Rockies topped 3 million a year for the first several years.

The lower attendance in recent years is due to the owners not investing in the team. If the team isn't interested in fielding a quality product, why should people buy it?

And the fans here are savvy enough to understand the situation... they boo'ed the owners at the NLCS award presentation.

I think it's unfair to the Rockies fans.

(that doesn't include me, I'm totally a bandwagon jumper... hell, I'm barely a fan of the sport)