Quantcast

World Series discussion thread

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
And as as far as bandwagoning goes, hell yeah. There's nothing wrong with it. When the Sabres suck, nobody in upstate NY cares about hockey. The last couple years though, they got good, and fans came out of nowhere. You can't walk 10 feet in Rochester without seeing a Sabres jersey, and we're a good hour from Buffalo. Bandwagons kick ass.

splat

Nam I am
:rofl:

Well it was sold out the day we went. I was shocked at how good the standing room only section was.
3 years ago , I went and Saw a Sox Game in Atlanta and it was Packed! a couple of Atlanta Regulars were telling me how only when the Sox and the Yankees come in did it sell other wise half full. they said even during the play offs tickets were easy to get.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Fenway is like 38,000 right? Don't they pride themselves in having the smallest ballpark? Makes it quite a bit easier to sell out.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Fenway is like 38,000 right? Don't they pride themselves in having the smallest ballpark? Makes it quite a bit easier to sell out.
The new ownership group has added seats in every little ass crack of Fenway park. They're trying like hell to increase capacity. They added the Green Monster seats, the right field roof, and "Conigliaro's Corner" (seats way the hell up on top of right field).

Given the demand though, they'd sell out every game if it was a 50,000 seat stadium.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Even when they sucked?
The new owners bought the team in 2002 and immediately started making renovations to the park. Red Sox tickets have been very hard to get since this new group took over because they've fielded good teams and have marketed the hell out them.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The new owners bought the team in 2002 and immediately started making renovations to the park. Red Sox tickets have been very hard to get since this new group took over because they've fielded good teams and have marketed the hell out them.
So how are the attendance numbers a fair comparison to the Rockies, who have only been around for like 12 years, have never won the WS, never had a 89 year championship drought end, etc?

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I went to game two last night, and it was absolutely amazing experience.

welcome to fenway!

view from our seats

me can't believing that I'm at the world series game two

everyone in boston loves baseball! Prudential center lit up

My 7th inning secret stash

"The Reliever" after I wasn't able to finish my stash.

Paplebon and the cop

The Boston Redsox Bullpen/drumline

Schilling warming up

My friend pissing in the parking garage

My friend on Landsdown st with Boston's finest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the red sox business plan is far superior to the yanks, at least since '01, in terms of playoff appearances and success. :monkeydance:
I think it is going to get a lot harder for them from here on out. Every player they consider is going to demand the big money because they know Boston can spend it. Dice K was just the beginning.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i honestly don't see this as changing too much. the yankees have *always* set the bar high in terms of throwing cash at big name/big ticket free agents, but as JD Drew (as well as Mussina, Damon, Johnson, Clemens, etc for the yanks) has shown, it's no sure bet.

the jury is still out on dice-k, but i have hope.

do you really think anyone else in MLB outside of NYY would take on a-rod and his new contract???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think Boston will get thier noses involved in the A-Rod bidding, but only to drive the price up for the NYY.

Then again, if Mike Lowell isn't resigned there will be a big hole left on the left side of the infield. A-Rod can't play SS for the Red Sox though because they've got JULIO LUGO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
NYY have already said they will not pursue ARod if he opts out. They don't need help getting to the playoffs, they need help in the playoffs where he is worthless. All the other teams who would pay him are in the same boat.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I think Boston will get thier noses involved in the A-Rod bidding, but only to drive the price up for the NYY.

Then again, if Mike Lowell isn't resigned there will be a big hole left on the left side of the infield. A-Rod can't play SS for the Red Sox though because they've got JULIO LUGO.
are you kidding me dude? who would you rather have playing ss, Lugo or ARod? The sox will do whatever they want, they have more money that god. Lugo did not have the best year playing for us. Great defense but was seriously hurting on the other end.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
are you kidding me dude? who would you rather have playing ss, Lugo or ARod? The sox will do whatever they want, they have more money that god. Lugo did not have the best year playing for us. Great defense but was seriously hurting on the other end.
i'm 99.999% sure that IAB was joking about the indispensability of Lugo.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
David Ortiz will play first base for Boston when the World Series resumes Saturday night, and Kevin Youkilis will be benched as the Red Sox adjust to life without a designated hitter.
Seems like a bad idea to me. I would sit Ortiz because he has trouble running bases. Isn't Youkilis hitting 500?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think that Lowell and Youkilis are both hitting as well as Ortiz and they are both fully mobile. Watching Ortiz try to round third was painful, he could use a rest.
It's true that Ortiz can't move at all. I don't agree that Lowell is hitting as well as he is, at least for the most part. Ortiz wasn't productive last night, but overall his numbers are better than Lowell's.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It's true that Ortiz can't move at all. I don't agree that Lowell is hitting as well as he is, at least for the most part. Ortiz wasn't productive last night, but overall his numbers are better than Lowell's.
But the answer isn't to take a yearly gold glove contender in Lowell (in the hot corner, no less...) and replace him with Youk and toss Ortiz into field. Then you have two guys "playing out of position" instead of 1....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But the answer isn't to take a yearly gold glove contender in Lowell (in the hot corner, no less...) and replace him with Youk and toss Ortiz into field. Then you have two guys "playing out of position" instead of 1....
True. It's all a compromise. I'll trust Francona to get it right.

Go Sox!