Quantcast

WWIII thread

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've heard that the 7th round of EU sanctions is going to include no phone calls for Macron and Scholz. ;)

In other news, this looks like a positive development if true, especially the bit about the kadyrov vermins being exterminated on a large scale

The Kadyrovites (the personal troops of Chechen warlord Ramzan Kadyrov) are suffering heavy losses because they were let in for the first time... It was so important for Putin to capture Severodonetsk that he even let the Kadyrovites, whom he usually does not risk, who usually shoot only video clips — he let them fight. They suffered enormous losses there.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I've heard that the 7th round of EU sanctions is going to include no phone calls for Macron and Scholz. ;)
Keep diplomatic channels open by all means, but don't do that shit in public and turn it into a PR stunt that only reassures Putin. I lose it every time I read about "face saving exit scenarios", saying nothing of foreign heads of state talking about Ukrainian territorial conessions.
This only emboldens Russia to come up with stuff like the wheat exports in exchange for lifting sanctions blackmail. Putin will only come to the negotiating table when he is either comfortable and has achieved his goals or when he wants to end his little adventure. He doesn't need to save face, he can sell the Russians whatever propaganda he wants.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's my system. It takes an F-load of support and training. Many times more complex in every way than towed cannons. I'd be surprised if that ever really happens, it sounds more like someone blowing smoke up someone's a$$. The compatibility alone with Eastern Block equipment and everything else would be a huge logistical problem. To field this you need giant pod-carrying trucks, you need wrecker vehicles that can pull out said trucks and tracked M270s. You need control and command vehicles. Communications nets. Mechanic support and parts (M270 is the Bradley chassis, so some of those engine and drivetrain parts are the same). And we aren't even at ammo. These are not direct-fire weapons and typically they use bomblet dispersals over wide area. They are deadly effective at taking out enemy columns of vehicles and formations, but there can be a lot of collateral damage with a weapon like that. They are also usually integral to SEAD missions, where they saturate an approach corridor literally just seconds before a helicopter passes by, then doing the same as it exits, to keep the enemy air defenses from doing anything. It becomes a pretty high value target for the enemy, so the training and fielding of it have to be all that much better and perfected.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's my system. It takes an F-load of support and training. Many times more complex in every way than towed cannons. I'd be surprised if that ever really happens, it sounds more like someone blowing smoke up someone's a$$. The compatibility alone with Eastern Block equipment and everything else would be a huge logistical problem. To field this you need giant pod-carrying trucks, you need wrecker vehicles that can pull out said trucks and tracked M270s. You need control and command vehicles. Communications nets. Mechanic support and parts (M270 is the Bradley chassis, so some of those engine and drivetrain parts are the same). And we aren't even at ammo. These are not direct-fire weapons and typically they use bomblet dispersals over wide area. They are deadly effective at taking out enemy columns of vehicles and formations, but there can be a lot of collateral damage with a weapon like that. They are also usually integral to SEAD missions, where they saturate an approach corridor literally just seconds before a helicopter passes by, then doing the same as it exits, to keep the enemy air defenses from doing anything. It becomes a pretty high value target for the enemy, so the training and fielding of it have to be all that much better and perfected.

The US, UK and I believe several other NATO countries have committed to providing similar MLRS systems (M142 and M270s) so there is momentum and support to supply Ukraine with the infrastructure necessary. Ukrainian troops are already being trained on the systems by the US. Germany just continuously finds new excuses for why they can't do what many many other countries are already doing. They did the same thing with some anti-aircraft systems they recently promised, said they had to build from scratch as the didn't want to send the ones they had in wharehouses. It is possible that the excuses are valid but it would point to a German military whose equipment may make the Russians look well prepared and maintained.

I've read that Ukraine has developed their own rather novel modern command and control systems for artillery that was easily integrated with the Howitzers they received, the US removed the fire control systems for M777 they provided. It is kind of like an Uber app where people call in for fire missions and the closest available team accepts the job. I am sure they have some kind of plan for integration.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No idea of the tech used, byt teh US of Eh does the same poop and pee collection for the potus and has for years.

National security yo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting read. Reminds me of when I had discussions about export restrictions around the products I sold to my customers. They told me that at the time Siemens would offer to strip the restricted hardware from their systems, allowing my customer to deliver machine tools to Russia without license, where Siemens would then upgrade them to the restricted spec. Customer asked if I could support the same methods. I said no and I would report them to the Department Of Commerce if I had an information that they participated in such a scheme.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting read. Reminds me of when I had discussions about export restrictions around the products I sold to my customers. They told me that at the time Siemens would offer to strip the restricted hardware from their systems, allowing my customer to deliver machine tools to Russia without license, where Siemens would then upgrade them to the restricted spec. Customer asked if I could support the same methods. I said no and I would report them to the Department Of Commerce if I had an information that they participated in such a scheme.

No wonder you suck at business.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Srsly. There's no room for ethics in bidness.
Why I am an engineer and not a salesman. The sales guy on that project got canned so I had to be the acting salesmen for a bit. And it actually worked out really well, that customer knew they could trust me while they knew the folks who would lie and cheat for them would also lie and cheat to get their money.