Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
xbluethunderx said:
I'd say hardtail. A lot of guys I hear plan on running SS rigid 29ers because of the flat speediness of the course.
I was just kidding with the hardtail thing. My back and butt need suspension.

chicken hawk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
So what the hell are the teams anyway? You East Coast Winnies have your shi_ together or what? And West Coast Slackers, what about another dude? Do I have to do all the work looking for someone or what? I have another lead for both the West Hammer Team and the Beer Guzzling Puked on my Riding Shoes Again Slacker Team.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm holding out hope that Westy will come through with his other ringer. If not, I'm sure it won't be too hard to get someone. I was looking at airfares again yesterday and they are DOWN. Sweet!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK I just got tickets for me and Gee Spot. Arriving in Oxnard at 6:45 pm on Feb 14th, leaving Tucson at 2:50 pm on Feb 23rd.

The only airline that flies into Oxnard is United.

w00t!!!!11

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Echo said:
OK I just got tickets for me and Gee Spot. Arriving in Oxnard at 6:45 pm on Feb 14th, leaving Tucson at 2:50 pm on Feb 23rd.

w00t!!!!11
Sounds good, altho too bad you are coming in monday night.....I planned on taking monday off too for riding with the easties....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
T-Dog said:
Sounds good, altho too bad you are coming in monday night.....I planned on taking monday off too for riding with the easties....
Well reschedule bitch! :D

Lisa has to work up to Monday so that's the best we could do :(

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
What good will round trip tickets to Tucson do for you if you are coming to CA first???

I'd like to goto Cali but, it just seems easier/cheaper to head straight to Tucson.........plus isnt it a 10 hour drive from Cali to Tucson??

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
douglas said:
Anyone know if you can ride in Catalina State park?
Yes, you can. The park has the 50 year trail which I think is about an eight mile loop. The trail has a lot of "baby heads" so if you like rocks you will probably like it. People in AZ seem to like it. If you plan on camping at the park-they dont take reservations and you can be pretty sure all of the campsites will be filled by noon or so. Although that might have changed as they added some more sites since I was last there.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
If you are looking for cheaper airfares you should also look at Phoenix. The race course has to be at least 50 miles from the Tucson Airport and my guess is that its only 70 miles or so from Sky Harbor in Phoenix. You definitely will be wasting a couple of days driving if you fly into LA.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
What good will round trip tickets to Tucson do for you if you are coming to CA first???
I can't :( I am a teacher and we have the week after the race off, but I am not allowed to take days off prior to the vacation (I will get docked my paycheck). I will have to see if Earl wants to though.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
I can't :( I am a teacher and we have the week after the race off, but I am not allowed to take days off prior to the vacation (I will get docked my paycheck). I will have to see if Earl wants to though.

what day will you be flying out?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
T-Dog said:
It'll be too bad if Echo and Gee Spot are the only east coast celebrities at the bbq party I'm having on the 15th (after a session of riding in the preserve, of course).....
Maybe they won't be the only Eastcoasters at your BBQ.....I found a pretty good priced flight to Oxnard

questions:

When is the convoy leaving from Cali to go to Old Pueblo?

ECHO: How are you getting your bikes to Cali, and then back from Tucson?

T-Dog/Ghostrider: Are you taking from the 15th & on off from work?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think I'm gonna suck it up and take my bike on the plane. Maybe I'll ship it to CA and take it on the plane from Tucson. I still gotta score a bike box somewhere :think:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:

w00t!!!!11
Awesome!! This is going to kick ass. Dammitall, I forgot to train again this week.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Awesome!! This is going to kick ass. Dammitall, I forgot to train again this week.
I figure it's cool we're leaving for CA on Monday, that way I'll have the weekend to do my training.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Echo said:
I think I'm gonna suck it up and take my bike on the plane. Maybe I'll ship it to CA and take it on the plane from Tucson. I still gotta score a bike box somewhere :think:
Have you checked with shops in your area? I know one of the shops here rents them for like $10. I'd let you use mine....but it's way out here in Bend. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Heidi said:
Have you checked with shops in your area? I know one of the shops here rents them for like $10. I'd let you use mine....but it's way out here in Bend. :D
Yeah Trailblazers has one but Gee Spot already claimed it :mumble:

I'll just get one, or talk T-blazer into getting another one :devil:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:

w00t!!!!11
w00t!!!! w00t!!!!

E-Ticket Receipt and Itinerary

YOUR ELECTRONIC TICKET WAS ISSUED

Arrival: Oxnard / Ventura, CA (OXR) Mon Feb 14 4:22 pm
Departure: Tucson, (TUS) Wed Feb 23 2:50 pm

Yo, couple bucks more but I got on the exact same flight out of Tucson !

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
do you all have Norba licenses??
if so go here:
linky

2 free bike vouchers for United!!! pretty damn awesome - total value $160

if you are not then it would be worth signing up (I think you have to wait until after January 1 being licenses expire at the end of the year)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Ok, time to get serious. Here's my take on the teams as they stand right now. Feel free to change my numbers:

West Coast:
T-Dog, captain, 100% committed
chicken hawk, 100%
ghostrider, 100%
mcgowanc, 100%?
unknown, 0%

East Coast:
Echo, captain, 100%
Gee Spot, 100%
Douglas, 100%
Westy, 110%
Squirrel?, 100%?

Beer Guzzlers:
Treesaw, captain, 100%?
jventura, 97%
Mrs. T-Dog, 99%?
Korona Kalvin, 90%?
chicken hawk's bro in law, 50%?

We need to get these numbers up to 100% and get the teams registered. Nobody here is going to rest until we get this done. Now let's go get some lunch.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yeah, westy & squirrel, time to step up!!

so we can get Team East Coast kicking ass trailblazers and monkeys, or whatever we will be called registered!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I can say with all certainty that Squirrel will not commit to another team until Treesaw's team is 100% guaranteed. And I understand why and support that. So let's make that the priority :thumb:

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Echo said:
I can say with all certainty that Squirrel will not commit to another team until Treesaw's team is 100% guaranteed. And I understand why and support that. So let's make that the priority :thumb:

Okay- I know my GF is in 100%.... She's only been out on 3 real mountain bike rides, but is already faster than Ghostrider. (Wait, not supposed to smack on own team, scratch that.) I will talk to Kalvin again today, but he says he's in every time I ask. GR, your assignment if you accept it, is to confirm james and extract the money from him. Lets pony up the 90.00ea and get registered......the way I did it in the past is to register online; as captain, I collect from each member then pay and reg for the team. Then each team member needs to download a waiver from the site, fill it out and mail in a hard copy (no faxes) right away to avoid the late fees.

So- Treesaw: as captain of the drinking team, if that's ok with you pm me your address, and we'll get the dough out to you.