Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Hey Ozzer,
While the e13 setuop you have on there now will work, you may be going through some upper wearplates more frequently than normal. Bewteen the fact that there is a good amount of travel in the Socom and that the VPP designs run a little more sag than most other designs the upper wearplate will be getting a good amount of rub from the chain on the crossmember (where the bolts go through). A more ideal setup would be to get a wide angled SRS backplate for your setup. It does seem that you're limited buy the ISCG adjustment range, which is strange since we have 22 degrees of rotational adjustment built into our design. Give us a call at the office if this doesn't make seems to be unclear.
Regards,
Jonas

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Hey Ozzer,
While the e13 setuop you have on there now will work, you may be going through some upper wearplates more frequently than normal. Bewteen the fact that there is a good amount of travel in the Socom and that the VPP designs run a little more sag than most other designs the upper wearplate will be getting a good amount of rub from the chain on the crossmember (where the bolts go through). A more ideal setup would be to get a wide angled SRS backplate for your setup. It does seem that you're limited buy the ISCG adjustment range, which is strange since we have 22 degrees of rotational adjustment built into our design. Give us a call at the office if this doesn't make seems to be unclear.
Regards,
Jonas

Fockin acadian calling the E13 cops on me.. I'll get you, Luc!!!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Yeah, it's the 07 Swinger. I still switch back and forth with the Evolver depending on where I'm riding. The evolver is harder to actuate on the initial stroke and this is mainly due to the Socom suspension. I (no, we) think the air shock wallows too much on the linear stages of the SoCom suspension that it feels like it's packing. Another thing on the Socom with Evolver is that you have to load up the suspension coming into corners and rock strewn sections. I mean, the rear tire would bounce a lot if you just point and shoot. You kinda have to load/compress (get the rising rate out of the way), then point and shoot. Otherwise, the weight advance and the stable platform on the evolver makes the learning curve on riding it worthwhile. This is just true on the Socom (and M3 and maybe VPP) because on my single pivot Nicolai, the evolver acts like a coil over shock.
I really want to try an Evolver as I have heard some very good things. I tried a DHX Air for some runs and have not been overly satisfied. Dont get me wrong, it is ok but it is not like the coil Swinger that I ran last year.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Here's the 36 pounder setup I had last Sun... with the Evolver on.

How do you save 2lbs with a shock change? :disgust:
I had an Excel spreadsheet for you but I can't seem to post it but here are the changes which dropped the weight:

enduro casing tires (instead of DH casing)
lighter cranks (hone vs isis bb/cranks)
trimmed 12 twines from the derailleur cable
shaved the ferulles down on the end caps
cut the seatpost shorter and butted the inside diameter
cut my handlebar to 24" wide
it was 80 degs f out that day so that's a .25 lb savings
I was less grumpy so the bike rode 1/2 lb lighter
the ground was tacky so it was perceptively .22 lb lighter.

do the math and it will actually come closer to 35.4 lbs.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Hey Orven did you lay it down or ride it out here?
Barely rode it out. If the dirt was any dryer, I'd have a map of china printed on my right knee-- on red ink.

Here, nearly identical near-slide but pulled it and almost taking my wife out in the process. I was really trying to get to know the Socom which is so far different that the Be One and Mpire I've gotten used to and loved on corners.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Dave, tell your homies (whoever owned the Be Ones I got from G.Ryan), that the Be Ones are back in action too and I like it!!!

The sub-44 lb orange mango Dutch

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
thats the dumbest thing every. A 35 pound dh bike, I hope everything explodes on your first ride. just kidding but whats the world comming too.

does anyone ealse think cove bikes are reallllly ugly?

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
Here is my 38lb Morewood Izumi DH. I am waiting for a few more parts to come in which is the E13 LG-1, E13 chainring, Sic Direct mount stem, Avid Cleansweep G2 2007 rotors(8" front, 7" rear), maxxis minion 2.35 and 2.5 tires, Race lite tubes, Sette race Ti seat, chris king heatset.

I'm really thinking of building some wheels. some hadley hubs, mavic 728's or something like it.

Specs:
2006 Morewood Izumi DH with rare paint.
2006 Crane Creek Double Barrel shock/Ti spring
2006 Rockshox Boxxer World Cup with Team lowers
2007 Azonic Outlaws 150mm white.
2006 Shimano XT 170mm Cranks
Specialized Low Pro Mags
2006 Avid Juicy 7's
2006 Easton Monkey lite DH carbon bars
Thomson Elite cut seatpost
Specialized Avatar gel saddle
2006 Sram 990 cassette
Sram 990 Chain
Maxxis High roller 2.35
Standard 2.35 tubes
2006 MRP system 3 chainguide
2007 Sram x.9 mid cage rear derailluer
2006 X.9 rear Shifter
FSA Pig DH headset
carbon spacers
ODI intense lock on grips

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS

Got a digital scale today.

SX Trail: 38 pounds 5 ounces
and the astrix: 31 pounds 9 o ounces.

Got a few things to swap on the SX still, I'd like to have it down to 37.0 and the Union will hit sub 30 this summer.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
update on my SX-trail. I got my new wheel (823/hadley) chain guide and 6" rear rotor then tossed it on my digital scale at 37lbs 3 ounces (weight is with the chain thats missing in the pic)

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
commencal mini dh racer
supreme fr frame with 12mm maxle, adjustable head angle(set up steeper)
66rc2x 170mm
manitou swinger 4way air 7.5 i2i
thomson x4 50mm
thomson elite cut down
slr xp (extra padding)
diabolus bar uncut
cane creek s3
xt crank
saint bashguard/36t/26t
xt front deraileur(took off the limit adjust screw parts)
105 med. cage rear deraileur
xtr shifters
sram pg970 11t-21t
e.13 drs guide
dura ace/xtr chain
odi ruffians
red clamps
syncros mental magnesium pedals
hope m6 ti brakes 205mm front 185mm rear
hadley front hub
ringle rear hub
mtx rims with stans rimstrips
dt prolock 12mm nipples
dt strait guage spokes black/silver
wtb timberwolf race tires 2.5
38lbs

i dont want it any lighter, otherwise i cant look forward to having a light dh bike when im older. i could make it lighter if i put on an lg1, some 2.35 highrollers or minions, 721s on hope bulbs with sapim bladed spokes and took the other coil out of my fork.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
thats lookin good. but what rims. pedals, and seat post are you running? the peadals look like v12 mags. and the rims look like 117s.