Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What's going on in Canadia?

Never heard of that news source and a quick look on the CDC website does not show anything about it. Hmmm...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just checked with my Bro in London, ONT. They are only vaccinating 65+. Holy shit! He said he's spending a last day with his GF because they are about to go back into lockdown. Cites the totally incompetent conservative gov.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just checked with my Bro in London, ONT. They are only vaccinating 65+. Holy shit! He said he's spending a last day with his GF because they are about to go back into lockdown. Cites the totally incompetent conservative gov.
Ftfy.

Yep lockdown for all 350000 square miles of Ontario.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The UK's approach of prioritizing 1st doses over fully vaccinating people seems to be having some positive effect. 45% or so of the population has a 1st dose with only 8% fully vaccinated. However case numbers and deaths have avoided the spring bump seen elsewhere and everything continues to trend in the right direction. Statistics are similar to Texas which has twice the population over 3 times the area with a quarter of the intellect.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
With MA beginning to open up eligibility requirements, I continue to hear more and more stories of people being dishonest in order to obtain a vaccination. Not surprising, yet still upsetting, given that there are people out there who need it far more that cannot get appointments.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
With MA beginning to open up eligibility requirements, I continue to hear more and more stories of people being dishonest in order to obtain a vaccination. Not surprising, yet still upsetting, given that there are people out there who need it far more that cannot get appointments.
It is a lottery.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It is a lottery.
That relies upon your honesty when attesting to meeting the eligibility requirements. Nobody makes you prove it before you'll get vaccinated. Technically speaking, I am in the overweight category and would be eligible, but pretending that I should get it over say, a pregnant woman, is ludicrous.

The lottery thing also doesn't apply to CVS and Walgreens.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That relies upon your honesty when attesting to meeting the eligibility requirements. Nobody makes you prove it before you'll get vaccinated. Technically speaking, I am in the overweight category and would be eligible, but pretending that I should get it over say, a pregnant woman, is ludicrous.

The lottery thing also doesn't apply to CVS and Walgreens.
If you meet requirements, why not get it? Presumably, we'll all be in a better place if most folks get vaccinated and do it as soon as possible. You not being proactive isn't going to get a syringe sitting around in a pharmacy into someone else's arm. Vaccination sites and pharmacies are literally left with cancelled appointments every day and are giving shots to those that are asking because they don't want to waste shots.

And what makes you think a pregnant women is more at risk than you if you have a high BMI? It seems foolish not to get the shot if you qualify. I get you about the outright lying thing and I struggled and waited quite a while myself with the ethical conundrum of getting a shot or not since I qualified as an employee that is responsible for the development and manufacture of medical products, but I didn't make the rules. If others are unable to get shots because of the systems in place, that is far too large a problem for me to solve or even help with. It sucks that those more privileged are in a position to benefit over those in more challenging situations, but in my mind the best way to help others at this stage is to get vaccinated if you qualify.

To be clear, outright lying is crap.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you meet requirements, why not get it? Presumably, we'll all be in a better place if most folks get vaccinated and do it as soon as possible. You not being proactive isn't going to get a syringe sitting around in a pharmacy into someone else's arm. Vaccination sites and pharmacies are literally left with cancelled appointments every day and are giving shots to those that are asking because they don't want to waste shots.

And what makes you think a pregnant women is more at risk than you if you have a high BMI? It seems foolish not to get the shot if you qualify. I get you about the outright lying thing and I struggled and waited quite a while myself with the ethical conundrum of getting a shot or not since I qualified as an employee that is responsible for the development and manufacture of medical products, but I didn't make the rules. If others are unable to get shots because of the systems in place, that is far too large a problem for me to solve or even help with. It sucks that those more privileged are in a position to benefit over those in more challenging situations, but in my mind the best way to help others at this stage is to get vaccinated if you qualify.

To be clear, outright lying is crap.
To be clear, I have no issue with people getting the excess vaccines at the end of the day, eligible or not. No doses should go to waste if there are unvaccinated arms in the vicinity. I fully intend to get vaccinated at the first opportunity.

But, I live next to an area that's low income, with a high population of minorities. The exact demographics that have been hardest hit by this thing. As a healthy person who can WFH full time, with my only public interactions being at my discretion, my moral compass says that the extra 10 lbs I'm carrying around doesn't make my need more urgent than theirs. I can wait, but some of those folks don't have that luxury.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I’ve seen and heard of this here in SoCal. When I went for my shot there were several folks in line who didn’t “look like” they met the requirements for age or weight. I know people who have jumped the line for various reasons, and there’s no “proof of eligibility” required other than saying you’re eligible. With stories of shots going wasted, I’m not sure I’m terribly opposed to people jumping the line if appointments are available. It’s a moot point as we are a week away from wide open eligibility.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I’ve seen and heard of this here in SoCal. When I went for my shot there were several folks in line who didn’t “look like” they met the requirements for age or weight. I know people who have jumped the line for various reasons, and there’s no “proof of eligibility” required other than saying you’re eligible. With stories of shots going wasted, I’m not sure I’m terribly opposed to people jumping the line if appointments are available. It’s a moot point as we are a week away from wide open eligibility.
If there are shots being wasted around here, it's not because appointments are going unbooked. Been trying to get one for my wife for several days and there's nary a thing available.

Either way, they'll be opening things up to everyone on 4/19, so we aren't too far away from that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I waited until I qualified but I know several people who cheated all young and healthy. However the old and fragile crowd has been
If there are shots being wasted around here, it's not because appointments are going unbooked. Been trying to get one for my wife for several days and there's nary a thing available.

Either way, they'll be opening things up to everyone on 4/19, so we aren't too far away from that.

As @jonKranked said, just look in a red county.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you're worried about "cheating", fuck it. the roll out has been so poorly handled i have no qualms about it (and i work in med device, and my parent company is the mnfg of one of the vaccines that has EUA). the HCP's administering it don't care, they just want as many people vaccinated as possible, and don't want to see doses go to waste.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's going on in Canadia?

It probably stems from the ongoing restrictions, changes and lockdowns.

And oh yeah, only a small percentage of the population here has had the 1st vaccine shot.

Only 70% of the doses delivered, have been given.
Only 750000 people have been fully vaccinated. Canada has a population of ~38 million.

This page is interesting. You can see that not only was the delivery of doses very low and slow to get rolling, but there is an increasing gap between what has been delivered and what has actually been administered.

@slyfink mentioned, its been poor, at best.

My workplace had a broadcast on Monday regarding vaccine information, as we are considered essential workers in a manufacturing environment (supply chain, not able to social distance/work from home in some cases etc etc). The meeting was great for us, but at the end of it there was still no mention of WHEN the government is actually going to provide us with dates for the vaccine clinics - we'll have our own, due to the number of employees in Ontario (guessing +50000 workers in the greater Toronto area).

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I waited until I qualified but I know several people who cheated all young and healthy. However the old and fragile crowd has been

As @jonKranked said, just look in a red county.
Every single county in this state went blue during the past presidential election.

We certainly have redder areas, but no red areas.

if you can get an appt scheduled before that date, do it. it's gonna be an absolute clusterfuck trying get an appt after that.
Oh it surely will be. And to think I heard on NPR recently that MA has had the best rollout of the populous states.

I can only imagine what it's been like in the other states.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

When/where have you been checking? I went on the CVS site at like 1:30am one morning (since I'm always up anyway), and there was a shitload of slots open. I'm told that's frequently when slots open, super early AM, or late late night, however you want to look at it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
if you're worried about "cheating", fuck it. the roll out has been so poorly handled i have no qualms about it (and i work in med device, and my parent company is the mnfg of one of the vaccines that has EUA). the HCP's administering it don't care, they just want as many people vaccinated as possible, and don't want to see doses go to waste.
In most places, you can call walgreens or cvs at the end of the day to see if they have any extra doses that would otherwise go to waste.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When/where have you been checking? I went on the CVS site at like 1:30am one morning (since I'm always up anyway), and there was a shitload of slots open. I'm told that's frequently when slots open, super early AM, or late late night, however you want to look at it.
Ironically, she just got one through her PCP/hospital.

Now it's just me that'll be unvaccinated.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In most places, you can call walgreens or cvs at the end of the day to see if they have any extra doses that would otherwise go to waste.
tried that route for a couple weeks. the only pharmacies in our area that actually offer the vaccine are always fully booked, so there's never any leftovers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
48 hours after my J&J shot and I feel fine. I did have a minor headache and felt pretty fatigued yesterday but nothing too bad. Kind of how I feel when I think I am coming down with something but never do. Which kind of tells me I get infected with shit regularly but my immune system does a good job of taking care of it. I haven't had full blown symptoms of any illness short of a common cold for the last 23 years.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Some pointers from a coworker

Only read if you are interested in scheduling now and/or at CVS:

Just sharing in the event it is helpful. I am not eligible until Monday but I checked the boxes that would allow me to be eligible now - and then just picked Monday as my vaccine date. If you want to try CVS (vs waiting for the Mass Vax sites) then register ahead of time. After you sign up try to schedule a vaccine. If it's full choose a different state like Alabama or Louisiana. Then once you're in you can switch to a MA zip code. I had to try remote areas (western MA zip codes - chicopee, ma worked) before I could find anything. You have to be able to schedule 2 appts so if there is no availability for the 2nd it won't let you proceed. I chose anything I could find and then went online after midnight and was able to switch to a local CVS. Alternatively, you could just register on CVS then try for the first time after midnight but rescheduling what you already had secured seemed best route. I hear CVS populates appts at midnight and 4am and it seemed true last night. Moderna auto schedules 2nd vaccine 28 days out, Pfizer 21 days. CVS has both at different locations. My first is 4/5 my second is 5/3.
That is my wisdom for today!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Only 70% of the doses delivered, have been given.
Only 750000 people have been fully vaccinated. Canada has a population of ~38 million.
Those numbers are close to those in Peru. 650k vaccinated vs 33 million people.
There have been shortages and delays in the supply of vaccines worldwide.

And the new variants seem to be more contagious and have worse outcomes for younger people.
Chile has more people under 40 in ICU than over 70 for the first time since it all started. They had over 85% occupancy in UCI beds since January.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My mRNA-hesitant, highly educated parents were being sticks in the mud. My sister and I had both laid down the law of no visiting us in Denver (we're both in the metro) until they are vaccinated, both to lower transmission and because my dad would be very high risk were he to contract COVID.

Tonight I found a nice website that listed out pharmacies in their small Oregon town, including which vaccines they offered at each site! So now my parents are signed up to get their shot of Johnson and Johnson adenovirus-vector vaccine a week from today. Intra-family warring can soon cease.

Update: they backed out and now are waiting at least 6 months more yet

Last edited: