Quantcast

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
How much is this new DHR....?...Turners prices got super salty even before this...

I thought DW-Link had a floating shock mount or is the DW-thing just the axle path.....?

Looks kind of like a Bastardized Karpiel VPP......

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Damn right I wouldn't buy a bike of that caliber if it isn't pretty. as long as there acontinue to be equally good designs at the same price that don't make my eyes bleed I will reserve the right to be picky.

I predict the the Giant Gloryday will be the hot ticket in 2010 for just this reason (and it will be cheaper too).
Second that, the 2010 Glory looks good and the maestro system works nearly as good or even better than the DW link

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Hopefully some of the old dhr's will be selling for super cheap....
same here,

that being said, it will be interesting to get people who have lots of saddle time on the old/er DHRs onto this new one to see what they think.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I should mention that I am a huge fan of DW and the DW-Link; simply the best feeling design I've ridden. I've been drinking the DW kool-aid since people were bolting Monster-T's on Evil Imperials, so I'm keeping my finsgers crossed that whoever else produces a DW-Link DH bike in '09 makes one that has a little more aesthietic appeal. I'll be all over it like flies on jam.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Damn right I wouldn't buy a bike of that caliber if it isn't pretty. as long as there acontinue to be equally good designs at the same price that don't make my eyes bleed I will reserve the right to be picky.

I predict the the Giant Gloryday will be the hot ticket in 2010 for just this reason (and it will be cheaper too).
Ah, now this gets interesting. Do the DW fanboys of RM go for the prettier looking, yet functionally very similar Giant, and deal with the fact that their stabbing their god in the back just a little due to the rumoured patent infringements etc. Alternatively, do they go with the Turner and have a bike that, whilst a little further removed from the Sunday, allows them to cosy up a little better with DW and not hand in their fan club membership card? :biggrin:

On a more serious note, I do see where you're coming from. All other things being equal, why would you go for the less aesthetically pleasing bike? The thing is, all things are NOT equal. The bikes are sure to ride slightly differently, but more importantly, Turner's customer support absolutely rocks. When you buy a bike, you're not simply buying a bunch of tubing and bearings, and that's where Turner will always win out.

Now my disclaimer. I'm a Turner fanboy. Do I jump on board this bandwagon and start chugging the kool-aid. I'm not sure I want to be associated with the latest movement of RM fanboys. [sigh] where do one's allegiances lie? :nopity:

johnnycash

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
UK
jared rando's glory proto looks very similar to a sunday, and giant will probably make it good value so i don't think this turner will be all that successful.

IH will still be making/selling sundays for most of 09 and that giant will probably come in shortly after.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Ah, now this gets interesting. Do the DW fanboys of RM go for the prettier looking, yet functionally very similar Giant, and deal with the fact that their stabbing their god in the back just a little due to the rumoured patent infringements etc. Alternatively, do they go with the Turner and have a bike that, whilst a little further removed from the Sunday, allows them to cosy up a little better with DW and not hand in their fan club membership card? :biggrin:

On a more serious note, I do see where you're coming from. All other things being equal, why would you go for the less aesthetically pleasing bike? The thing is, all things are NOT equal. The bikes are sure to ride slightly differently, but more importantly, Turner's customer support absolutely rocks. When you buy a bike, you're not simply buying a bunch of tubing and bearings, and that's where Turner will always win out.

Now my disclaimer. I'm a Turner fanboy. Do I jump on board this bandwagon and start chugging the kool-aid. I'm not sure I want to be associated with the latest movement of RM fanboys. [sigh] where do one's allegiances lie? :nopity:

Some consider giant to be one of the evils of the bike industry, but they make a nice product and continue to provide amazing customer support (in my experience) I worked at a Giant dealer for 5 years and had only good experiences with warranty etc. I love my Glory 0 and have a Reign X because I dig the maestro design and now that I don't work in a shop, I will DEF continue to buy Giant bikes. Just my .02, never ridden a Turner I really loved but that's just me. Also, production costs have skyrocketed for frame building so one can only assume a smaller company like Turner's prices will reflect this more so than Giant, whom I think offer some of the best builds for the $ right now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
dw is just some nerd kid on this forum right? I think dropmachine has some thoughts on the types of women he'd be satisfying...

and no doubt having a dw-link bike has given me the same uncanny abilities, i'm chatting with hottie516 right now
Nerd? Yes.
Kid? No, guy's probably poaching 40 at this point.

Aside: the lead on the new History channel show, "how it works" reminds me of a skinny DW.:happydance:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
From the Turner board on MTBR
_dw said:
Everyone who has spent time on the interwebs and cycling forums knows that the Turner homers are some of the most passionate and opinionated riders to ever ride and scrutinize a bicycle. As someone who thrives on riding and scrutinizing bicycles, I am thrilled to join your family.

Thanks to all of you who have sent kind words of support, encouragement, and excitement about the dw-link / Turner partnership. I’m as excited as you are. Many of you who know me, either in person or through years of talking on forums, know that Turner has been one of the brands that I’ve really looked up to since I first got into mountain bikes in the late ‘90s. I’ve always been a big fan of the Turner hallmarks of quality, straightforward design, and customer service. I think that this new dw-linked line really will help keep that tradition going. As a rider, I can say that the Turner dw-links are each as individually unique as the dw-link designs used by Ibis and Pivot. I urge you to test the bikes, whatever opinion you hold from a picture or prior experience will be backed up with real, live experience. I am looking forward to hearing all of the homer feedback. To that end, I’ll be available at the Turner, IBIS, and Pivot booths at Interbike and Dirt Demo for Q&A, general grilling, and hopefully a lot more talk about great rides than the finer points of rear suspension..

I’ve briefly scanned the hundreds and hundreds of posts / questions that have popped up since yesterday on the multitude of boards. I will try to answer some of the more commonly occurring questions that I saw.

- Can you switch links back and forth between different dw-link Turner models?

A: Nope, dw-link is a lot more reliant on specific pivot location and kinematic layout than FSR or TNT. The ability to tune and characterize dw-link’s comparatively complex anti-squat and wheel rate curves comes through closely calibrated suspension geometry. Even very small changes, less than 2mm, can have major and unplanned effects on performance.

- Will the Turner dw-links ride like other dw-link bikes that I have ridden?

A: The development of a new dw-link bike is a collaborative affair. For the Turner bikes, the process starts with frame geometry developed by DT himself. This is the first part that gives each bike a unique Turner personality. All dw-link bikes ever made share one common factor. I was responsible for the development of the suspension kinematics for each of these bikes. Whether it’s an Iron Horse, Ibis, Pivot, Turner, or IF, the how’s and why’s of the dw-link suspension begin and end here. So from one standpoint, the bikes are going to ride similarly in some respects, but for the most part they are all very different.

The heart of the dw-link system is its position sensitive anti-squat, and this is shared by all dw-link platforms. There is a very wide range of variability in wheel rate possible within the dw-link system, and I use this to help create each unique suspension bike’s personality. I work hand in hand with each manufacturer to help them realize their idea of what the ultimate suspension bike feels like on the trail. Based on the feedback that I gathered from talking with and riding with Dave Turner and his trusted advisors, I developed wheel rates and ultimately leverage rates to give us the “feel” that we were looking for.

The realization of these ideas on “feel” are what makes each bike special. For example, an Ibis Mojo was engineered to have a coil-like feel using a lightweight air shock, a Pivot Mach 4 was made to have a racy XC feel with very neutral braking, and a Turner 5-Spot was designed to eat small bumps and still take the big hit.

- I think that the bikes look sweet, ugly, like IH bikes, like a Turner, etc…

A: I think that this is another area that really lets a company like Turner showcase their abilities. If you put these bikes in a lineup of 100 frames, I could pick them out as Turners instantly. Round downtubes, CNC pivot blocks, bushing pivots, square chainstays and seatstays? I can think of only one manufacturer that combines these elements. The bikes are uniquely Turner, and in a world of swoops and forming I think that they are refreshing.

Someone commented that this is what the dw-link Iron Horse line would have looked like moving forward. To all of the you who commented really like the look of the Iron Horse dw-link bikes, thanks for the nice complement, these were my babies, and I developed every inch of them from the ground up. They were my first (and for now I am content to say last) attempt at styling a whole line. For sure there are things that I would have liked to do differently, but the situation at IH did not allow that. Either way, I am proud of those bikes and it was a great experience for me. If I had decided to allow IH to continue building dw-link bikes, they would have been much different looking than the Turner bikes. Aside from the general dw-link layout the similarities would have ended there.

- Is the DHR a new Sunday etc…

Back in 2000 and 2001, when I really was heavily into developing dw-link, I spent more time than I should have posting on the MTBR forums about the finer points of suspension design. During that time, the number one downhill bike that I recommended to riders was the DHR. I knew when I designed the Sunday that this was the benchmark. Since then it seems like the Sunday has become the new downhill benchmark, but I still thought that I could improve upon it based on my experience on the World Cup circuit and feedback from many talented riders. Think of the new DHR as an evolution of the ideas that made both the DHR and Sunday successful.

The things that I specifically put attention into with the new DHR include:

- a pretty nifty dual progressive leverage rate curve that is supple in the early travel, with the end travel ramp that the Sunday lacked.
- modified spring rates, so that a 155 lb rider will now use a 350lb spring rather than a 300lb spring. This will give lighter riders more tuning options.
- lighter weight layout. The Sunday was impressively light, but this bike’s frame takes it to a new level in my opinion. Alone it weighs in the 7’s, and in the low 8’s with shock. Its light and strong at the same time.

OK, I need to do some work here!

Cheers all! :D

Dave

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
...continue to ride their Sundays as they still perform quite well? At least that's my plan.

Why does your decision have to be based around what others are doing? If you like the brand, customer service, and culture of being part of the Turner owner's club, stay your course.

Now, I do have some friends that are fanboys of one company or another so I am fully aware of the illness that fanboys have :), but why does buying a product that works, and works great, turn one into a fanboy? I love my Sunday for many reasons, and hate some aspects of it as well (the love outweighs the hate or I would have sold it already) but nowhere on that love list is "because Dave designed it" or "because Hill rides one".

To answer your question though...where does one's allegiance lie? With whatever bike feels better and makes your purchase make sense. Yep :) Sounds like you are going to be, at the very least, test riding the new Turner out...fan boy! :cheers:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nerd? Yes.
Kid? No, guy's probably poaching 40 at this point.
It was a joke, would expect a man of your username to have figured that one out.

Seriously though - it's nice to read dw's words above, especially the point where he mentions setting leverage ratios more suited to lighter riders to ease spring rate options. Sounds like something I posted pretty passionately about only a couple of days ago, and it's good to see the person that brought low leverage to the masses considering (or re-considering) it.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Whenever I see shock and linkage pivots in that location (DHR) with no singarm member or mud guard (ala V10) I can only wonder how long it will be till they develop play from being sprayed by the rear tire.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
finally some substance in this thread... still looking for pictures of these built up. The picture orven posted looked awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lopes used to race DH. He had a segment in a vid a couple years ago in which he was only aboard a DHi. He's a gravity rider and I bet there's a DH bike in his garage.

Edit: Didn't he just win the Garbanzo DH race at Crankworx?
i think it was the jump race down A-line, so not necessarily a "real" dh course.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I should mention that I am a huge fan of DW and the DW-Link; simply the best feeling design I've ridden. I've been drinking the DW kool-aid since people were bolting Monster-T's on Evil Imperials, so I'm keeping my finsgers crossed that whoever else produces a DW-Link DH bike in '09 makes one that has a little more aesthietic appeal. I'll be all over it like flies on jam.
it was done intentionally... it's to keep the racers who want to be fast apart from the kids who just want to look good. :cheers:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Speaking of TE, does anyone else find this really funny? My gimmick is better than your gimmick. . . . :bonk:

“The folks at Iron Horse share my vision for building bikes with real, proven suspension technology, rather then concocting some gimmick to market for another few years before the next new gimmick,” said Anthony Ellsworth, founder and patent holder of Ellsworth’s ICT technology.

If that's the case then the DW-Link is the best gimmick since pennicilin.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Lopes used to race DH. He had a segment in a vid a couple years ago in which he was only aboard a DHi. He's a gravity rider and I bet there's a DH bike in his garage.

Edit: Didn't he just win the Garbanzo DH race at Crankworx?
I went fishing to see if Mojo had anything mtx/ ds worthy in store for the future, and this is the response I received from Scot at Ibis (quite promptly, too):

Brian is riding a Mojo, you can't really change to much geometry wise as the frame is a molded carbon monocoque. So he rides a slightly longer fork travel to give him a bit less head angle, and a lot of sag to further decreas head angle along with lowering the bb.
We are indeed working on some new bikes that will be closer to the SX you mention, at least as far as travel goes. But we're not going to announce anything for quite some time.
Brian seems to do well on the Mojo, he just won the A-Line downhill in Whistler on the Mojo.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Got DW to take a minute or two out of his schedule to answer a few questions about the bike. Not many, but I can't afford his hourly rate to answer more questions. :D