Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
hey ironhorse guys, would a tuned fox RC work well on a sunday?? cus i love that shock, and the sunday does not need pro pedal....

oh and second question, are the F7 links out for sale yet??

thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...O.K.:think:

Your response to RMboy is cryptic, yet sublime...:)

Anway: to answer your question -
hey ironhorse guys, would a tuned fox RC work well on a sunday?? cus i love that shock, and the sunday does not need pro pedal....

oh and second question, are the F7 links out for sale yet??

thanks

A tuned Fox RC would work fine, but it will need the proper tuning and valving - if you want info send me a PM and I will hook you up with the right people.

F7 links? Still uncertain on that one, but they WILL be released soon (2-3 months best guess)

Hope this helps.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Are the f7 links what the new hardware is called or are they something completely different? Sorry, first time I have heard this term.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
For all the info you could possibly need about the F7 linkage and everything else - check out the first page of this thread - it's set up like a data sheet.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Thanks, so it is just a name for the hardware. That was the first time I heard it referred to by name. I was told end of Feb for this stuff. Gonna be bummed if I held on to my 06' Sunday and that hardware isn't available till mid season.

Thanks S.K.C.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Crap - I need to fix that...

Actually the F7 links are totally new and redesigned for 07' - I guess it wasn't really that clear in dw's response, but I'll post a pic here and more detailed ones on the front page as well.

2007 F7 Linkage as seen on Duncan Riffle's 2006 Honda/Iron Horse Sunday (these are protos but they still look exactly like the production ones) :

Sam Hill's Factory ride from 2006 w/ proto F7 lower link and new 10mm hex-head hardware:

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Thanks S.K.C., no biggy. I just wasn't aware they had a name. That second pic is mine from MSA actually. Here are the others.

I hope these are around the corner. I love my bike but am counting on that new hardware.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Holy Crap!

Those pics are yours! - I didn't notice the connection until you posted you reply above...

Nice shots btw...

I'll send Todd a PM to see what he knows about F7 availability.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
F7 linkage is a bit lighter, plus it uses the new 10mm shock hardware which is a lot more user friendly than the old hardware - easier to adjust and use.

For more info see the first page.

This isn't a performance upgrade so much as a design upgrade.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Holy Crap!

Those pics are yours! - I didn't notice the connection until you posted you reply above...

Nice shots btw...

I'll send Todd a PM to see what he knows about F7 availability.
No worries, I took em' for everyone to see and share ;) I was told beginning of Feb. and that jives with the bikes coming in now so I'll hope for the best. I always expect things to be later than promised but 2 more months would be pushing it for my liking

Thanks S.K.C.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Because the DHX 3.0 doesn't have volume or propedal adjustment, how is the shock off the Sunday Team tuned in comparison to the DHX 5.0?

Is the volume "set" at the minimum? Pro-Pedal all the way out?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
kk thanks, well we got ppl over here to do it like TFtuned..thought the F7 changed the leverage ration slightly? just what i heard but by the sounds of it it is wrong, so no shouting at me

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodles
Because the DHX 3.0 doesn't have volume or propedal adjustment, how is the shock off the Sunday Team tuned in comparison to the DHX 5.0?

Is the volume "set" at the minimum? Pro-Pedal all the way out?

see...now that's a question I'd like the answer to.
This is my best guess, and Todd or Travis can correct me if I'm wrong:

The Bottom Out and Pro Pedal of the DHX 3.0 is permanently set at the factory by Fox to a generalized pre-set to suit the largest statistical cross-section of riders. After that it gets the "Sunday Tune" (light compression/light rebound).

On the DHX 5.0 everything can be adjusted by the rider so there are no permanent "factory set" features on the shock. This shock also has the "Sunday Tune".

So the difference is that with the 3.0, Fox decides what the settings are for Bottom Out and Pro-Pedal and on the 5.0 - you get to choose.

As for what the actual "factory set" values are for a 3.0 off the assembly line translated into the average settings a rider would use on his 5.0 - I have no idea.

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
F7 linkage is a bit lighter, plus it uses the new 10mm shock hardware which is a lot more user friendly than the old hardware - easier to adjust and use.

For more info see the first page.

This isn't a performance upgrade so much as a design upgrade.
So you need the new Linkage to run the new 10mm hardware on a 05 or 06 Sunday?
Thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So you need the new Linkage to run the new 10mm hardware on a 05 or 06 Sunday?
Thanks
Hmmm...

As far as I know the answer to this would be yes for the lower link but no for the top link due to the way the F7 links are made. The F7 top link was redesigned so that it's "spars" that surround either side of the shock eyelet are narrower than the old setup.

I've sent a PM to one of the I.H. guys regarding this, so I'm still waiting for an official response.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Hmmm...

As far as I know the answer to this would be no for the lower link but yes for the top link due to the way the F7 links are made. The F7 top link was redesigned so that it's "spars" that surround either side of the shock eyelet are narrower than the old setup.

I've sent a PM to one of the I.H. guys regarding this, so I'm still waiting for an official response.
no you need both the upper and lower linkage to run 10mm hardware at both ends.

so you will need new upper and lower links, lower screw-in pivot hardware, new MAX-E extended inner race bearings that IH developed with Enduro (no more bearing spacers on the bike), and 10-MIL 10mm shock hardware.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
dang!

let's just hope this new linkage set-up won't be too pricey. I WANT ONE!

how about all the play that is inherent in all 05 06 models, has it gone thanks to the links? are there still faint traces of linkage play on the 07 models?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
no you need both the upper and lower linkage to run 10mm hardware at both ends.

so you will need new upper and lower links, lower screw-in pivot hardware, new MAX-E extended inner race bearings that IH developed with Enduro (no more bearing spacers on the bike), and 10-MIL 10mm shock hardware.
actually you can do the same thing with a hacksaw, a drill with a dull 1/2" bit on it, duct-tape and some JB Weld. a bottle of Glen Fiddich helps too. :monkeydance:

ok, no you can't. the links are made for 8mm bolts, and there's absolutely no room to make them fit 10mm bolts.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
O.K. - thanks guys.

I've never held the new links in my hands, so I was kind of flying blind on that last response.

...but I would substitue a bottle of E-Dub (Evan Williams - Poor man's Jack Daniels') for the Glenfiddich.

It would be a shame to accidentally spill a whole bottle of the good stuff when that dull drill bit snaps and kicks the frame out.

:biggrin:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
actually you can do the same thing with a hacksaw, a drill with a dull 1/2" bit on it, duct-tape and some JB Weld. a bottle of Glen Fiddich helps too. :monkeydance: .
when eveything else fails - bust out the Maker Mark and re-melt that wax - that will hold everything nice and tight! ;)

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I think IRONHORSE should give the new hardware for free. (To every owner of a Sunday \DW bike)
They made a bad hardware on the 05 and 06 bikes and they have to replace it or fix it!!!
When a car manufacturer makes a mistake they call all owners to fix it for free.
This is part of a good costumer care.
Well, that what I think….
And please don’t tell me that the mistake \bad hardware was made by the shocks company's…. (There is nothing bad on the same shocks on other bikes 05\06) IRONHORSE should take responsibility on there bikes.
That’s why accompany should have people who check things before selling them.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think IRONHORSE should give the new hardware for free. (To every owner of a Sunday \DW bike)
They made a bad hardware on the 05 and 06 bikes and they have to replace it or fix it!!!
When a car manufacturer makes a mistake they call all owners to fix it for free.
This is part of a good costumer care.
Well, that what I think….
And please don’t tell me that the mistake \bad hardware was made by the shocks company's…. (There is nothing bad on the same shocks on other bikes 05\06) IRONHORSE should take responsibility on there bikes.
That’s why accompany should have people who check things before selling them.
BS. The new hardware in an improvement - plain and simple. It's an evolution of the design. Products evolve in all markets - cars, motorcycles, bicycles, computers, etc, etc. You aren't entitled to free upgrades just because you have an older product.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Well, my 06 sunday had the problem straight from the box.
Don’t get me wrong, I really love IRONHORSE bikes.
I now ride for 4 years and only had IH bikes.
03 sgs expert, 04 sgs DH, 04 MKIII and now the 06 sunday.
But I think that problems should be fixed without paying more money.
I had to go to a special workshop and make my self new bushings for my new Sunday. Only one day after I got them…

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just ran a search and didn't get anything- my bike creaks a lot and I was wondering what ya'lls think the creaking is from.

It doesn't make much sound on fast hits, but on really slow speed compressions, like pumping the bike or preloading, it creaks super bad. Is this the shock or the linkage? Should I even worry about it?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just ran a search and didn't get anything- my bike creaks a lot and I was wondering what ya'lls think the creaking is from.

It doesn't make much sound on fast hits, but on really slow speed compressions, like pumping the bike or preloading, it creaks super bad. Is this the shock or the linkage? Should I even worry about it?
Is this on a Sunday? If so, you may want to check the axle/bearings on the rear of the lower link. Mine would occasionally get creaky, but pulling it apart and fresh grease took care of it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Is this on a Sunday? If so, you may want to check the axle/bearings on the rear of the lower link. Mine would occasionally get creaky, but pulling it apart and fresh grease took care of it.
Yeah, last weekend I got a 2005 Sunday World Cup. It has the red annodized DW link and a DHX5 coil. So you're saying just pull that axle out, clean it all up, and relube? Are there grease ports anywhere? Would a good way to get rid of the creak be to run no grease, just clean everything a bunch, then re-assemble?

Thanks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah, last weekend I got a 2005 Sunday World Cup. It has the red annodized DW link and a DHX5 coil. So you're saying just pull that axle out, clean it all up, and relube? Are there grease ports anywhere? Would a good way to get rid of the creak be to run no grease, just clean everything a bunch, then re-assemble?

Thanks.
Weed - it could be as simple as the coil spring of the shock making that noise in the pre-load collar.

I had a similar problem with mine, and traced it back to that. I put a bit of graphite under the area of the collar that contacts the spring and it's fine now.

Gregor

Monkey
Oct 8, 2006
Lake Louise, AB
a little bit off topic guys...

does anyone wants to trade his IH sunday frame in 17"
for my 3 times ridden like new in perfect condition IH sunday worldcup frame 2006 in 19"?

just send me a PM!

Thanks!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Weed - it could be as simple as the coil spring of the shock making that noise in the pre-load collar.

I had a similar problem with mine, and traced it back to that. I put a bit of graphite under the area of the collar that contacts the spring and it's fine now.
Sweet, I'll try some pencil lead, and also clean things up. When I bought it, the bike was silent. We drove about 3 hours to a race, and boom, hop on the bike in front of all my friends, and it's the squeekiest bike in the world. Psyched!

Last night I noticed it says "Kinesis, made in USA" on the BB, does that mean it's a World Cup?