Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Eren - check out the first page of this thread - I have it set up like one giant list of specs, info, parts... damn near everything you could think of.

:biggrin:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
185 # with gear -> 300 # spring -> 35 % sag
correct?
im about youre weight and i run 350# spring with no preload
i found the 300# wallowed (sp?) in the travel too much, i thought thats how it was meant to ride until my LBS recommended i try the 350
and it works a treat.

I changed to the 350 when i was 175lb now being 190lb with gear it is definately much better then the stock 300

side note: where did you find that spring calculator you used?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So here are the weights of the EX1750 wheels as spec'd on the Sunday World Cup - 110x20mm front = 845g, 150x12mm rear = 1015g. More than the claimed weight on the DT Swiss website, but that is with a 135x10mm 240 rear hub and the 150x12mm version uses the 340 rear hub. The difference in hub weight is basically the difference in the two wheel weights. 1860g is still pretty darn light for a DH race wheel setup.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
How much sag is recommended on the Sunday?
With a #300 coil I get 25% of sag
With a #275 coil I get 35% of sag.
I weight 72 kilos and I have a 16" Sunday with a dhx5

thanks

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I remember reading somewhere that the Sunday doesn’t need as much sag as other DH bikes. Is that truth?
Maybe the #300 spring is good enough for me??...

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
In your situation, I'd run the 275lb spring with a couple turns of preload. Recommendations for Sunday sag are what Nugget posted.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
hey hey sunday owners....

got a problem, seem to have a small amount of side to side movment comming form the DWlink.. ins not at the shock mount its on the pivot back form that (infront of the wheel) took it apart, bearings are fine and spacers are there...

any ideas what it could be, or how it could be fixed???????

thanks

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
hey hey sunday owners....

got a problem, seem to have a small amount of side to side movment comming form the DWlink.. ins not at the shock mount its on the pivot back form that (infront of the wheel) took it apart, bearings are fine and spacers are there...

any ideas what it could be, or how it could be fixed???????

thanks
Have the same problem the spacer isn't quite wide enough you need another one that is a fraction of the width to fix it. A good way to tell if it is this is take it all apart and feel how smooth the bearings run then put back together but still not attached to the bike and see if bearings have gone rough if this is the case then when you tighten it the bearings aren't running square as they should be. The way i solved it was to push one bearing out a touch and then get a new spacer either the same already there or smaller and then tighten up with that in. The bearing will then get seated where it should be and run smooth once tightened up. Bit of a strange way to fix but it does work and shouldn't cause any issues. Hope this helps.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
RM & macduck,

We saw this happen on a run of frame last year. We remedied it with the use of some spacers made in different sizes. Call up Mike L in warranty (or email mikel@ironhorsebikes.com) and ask for the 05/06 Sunday main pivot spacers. The ones you'll need are the colored ones (each color is a slightly different width). This will fit your problem.

-ska todd

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
hye thanks bud, may be abit of a prob as im in england but will have to see...

yeah there is a bit of a space goin on there, but spacers should sort it not prob...

oh Ska todd i need ur help, i have a slight knock noise when my shock gets back to the top of its travel, its somthign on the frame touching, or is it the shock...im sure its not the shock becuse it has just been tftuned(oh and i dont run stupid fast rebound i like it pritty slow)...the linkages are all tight, and there is zero vertical play??help

:imstupid: thanks

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
hye thanks bud, may be abit of a prob as im in england but will have to see...

yeah there is a bit of a space goin on there, but spacers should sort it not prob...

oh Ska todd i need ur help, i have a slight knock noise when my shock gets back to the top of its travel, its somthign on the frame touching, or is it the shock...im sure its not the shock becuse it has just been tftuned(oh and i dont run stupid fast rebound i like it pritty slow)...the linkages are all tight, and there is zero vertical play??help

:imstupid: thanks
Did they replace your shock bushings?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I think this is covered somewhere back in this mega-thread somewhere but, it could be one of three things:

1. upper shock bolt / shock reducer tolerance - If using a stock hardware and stock bolt, you may need a "big bolt" to cinch it down tight. You can get these thru Jim Walker (our UK distro) or thru Iron Horse warranty.
2. shock DU - If these are chowdered out and the reducers easily slip in/out of them, then this can cause some knock.
3. internal shock prob or running low, low pressure on a 5th - You said you just got the bike back from TFT. Did you check the pressure and make sure it's set right?

-ska todd

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
yeah well the 5th i had taken apart and had all the platform vaving taken out, so its just shim shock now like a fox rc (it works amazing) but it still has pressure in it, i will check and see if its att eh same rate they left it at, even though it wont do much f i changed it...

the du are new, the bolts are all the upgraded ones and the bolts are tighening really well and are allowing no movment...

uhmmmm :disgust:

thanks for the help btw

oh not been rude but jim walker are crap...really are why did you leave perce cycles(or did they leave u) they are so helpfull and know so much about your bikes, jim walker are a bunch of idiots sorry...

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
THANKS IRONHORSE

there service is the best, need a new speacers and they sent them to me for free!! thanks

and i live in the UK...wow more bike companies should be liek this!!!!!:clapping:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
"Monster Green" is actually a pretty detailed process. PM me your email address and I can give you the painting info.

-ska todd

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
What is the optimum chainline dimension for the Sunday frame
55mm, 56mm, 57.5mm or another dimension ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Just trying to find out what the optimum chainline dimension should be for a 2007 Sunday frame, so i set my cranks up correctly
as i'm not too sure if the shop has set my cranks up right

I looked on the FSA website for installation instructions for the megaexo quad BB'S and gravity gap cranks but only has the instruction sheets for 68/73 bb's not 83mm bb's so no info on spacer positions

I have a FSA megaexo quad bb that has 2 x 2.5mm spacers on the
non drive side and no spacers on the driveside giving me a chainline
approx 55mm, does this sound correct or should the chainline be more closer to 57.5mm by moving one of the spacers from the non-driveside
to the driveside ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
spot on Dogboy,
just got the word up from Todd
57.5mm is the one for the Sunday for anyone else interested

Many thanks again to Todd @ Ironhorse for great backup service

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wish they'd released one of the US-made frames in that gold colour Sam and Sabrina were riding at the World Champs...

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
I can't figure this out! when i pick up the back of my bike off the ground, it feels like my rear shock did not extend all the way and drops maybe a centimeter or two. I also feel it when i jump or do drops.
i thought it was the shock but i put a swinger on there and it does the same thing. any ideas what it could be???

if this has been covered before ..my apologies.. i was cross eyed by the time i got to the 10th page!!!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Check the air pressure in your shock. For a 5th or Swinger you have to have a minimum of 50psi for it to work.

Also, try speeding up your rebound and make sure you don't have the rebound full slow.

-ska todd

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Does anyone know the weight of the frame, shock, rear axle and seat clamp for the 07 factory frames?

No headsets or other stuff.

Sorry is its been asked before, i can't seem to find it..

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Would a standard off the shelf Fox DHX5.0 still work fine
on a 2007 Sunday Team which I want to upgrade the DHX3.0 that came with it with DHX5.0 as the Australian Fox distributor and tech guys
apparently haven't heard of the Sunday Tune

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Would a standard off the shelf Fox DHX5.0 still work fine
on a 2007 Sunday Team which I want to upgrade the DHX3.0 that came with it with DHX5.0 as the Australian Fox distributor and tech guys
appaarently haven't heard of the Sunday Tune
No. it would not work properly. Perhaps they should contact Fox in North America for details on the Sunday tune.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
if i use just a off the shelf dhx5.0
what problems am i going to encounter.
I am running one I pulled off a SOCOM and it feels dialed on my 06 Factory. I ran a Sunday DHX last season and I don't notice the difference. I'm real picky about suspension setup, too. This may be in part to me running a stiffer spring, though.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Thanks mate
i may not have too much of a choice
seeing nobody i have spoken to in Australia
including the Australia fox service centre (dirtworks)
knows anything about the Sunday Tune

i'll probably will be running a 400 x 3.25 spring
as i about 240lbs (110kg) with gear

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jungle, you can compensate by running zero Pro-Pedal on a regular DHX. Hopefully the left hand will eventually be aware of what the right hand is doind at Fox soon with regards to offering a "Sunday Tune".

The "Sunday Tune" (1/3 compression & rebound) of a regular DHX is done by Fox but those shocks go directly to Iron Horse for the production of Sundays.

If you've got the cash I'm pretty sure Tim Flooks at TFTunedshox.com in England offers the "Sunday Tune" for DHX shocks:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/fox/foxfaq.htm#service
From TFTunedshox.com: What can Custom Valving of my rear shock achieve?
The oil flow through the piston of the rear shock is controlled by port volume (size of holes) of the piston, the amount & configuration of shims (very thin washers that bend under the pressure of oil) & the position of the rebound control needle. By balancing all these elements you can change the characteristics of the shock to help match how YOU want your bike to ride. You may want to have more low & mid speed compression damping to help reduce pedal bob, or perhaps you've been down the pub a little too much (put on weight) & need to up the compression throughout the range. Whatever improvement you want, it can usually be achieved, or if it can't I'll tell you. Fox rear shocks produced before '03 & '04 Pro Pedal have plenty of scope for improvement on most bikes, especially if you are in excess of 70kg or ride DH/Extreme.