Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
i can't get the bottom pin bolt out of my 2007 sunday frame i took the 2 bolts off but the pin is hard to push out any ideas?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
You work for IH SKC? Cheers for being so pro-active with the customer support (and Todd has been great too), however I have to say that the 05/06 model linkage issues were VERY widespread down here in Oz - as in, literally 100% of 05/06 sundays I've seen/ridden/lifted up have had play in them. There weren't any exceptions, they all had it. Maybe you guys in the US got the problems fixed quicker, but we sure didn't. If you've got the problem fixed now, fantastic, I'll probably end up with a Sunday at some point, but seriously there were huge problems here in Aus, and the Aussie distributor is among the worst I've ever dealt with ...

Anyway I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging the crap out of the company, because you and Todd have been extremely helpful to me and others, and the bikes really do ride nicely. Cheers!
I'm Back...

Went on holiday this past week where the ocean was beautiful as well as the ladies... :biggrin:

No, I am not an employee of I.H. however - you could think of me as their "extended family". :) I've raced DH with Todd and Travis here at Diablo in New Jersey as well as with some other I.H. employees. They are all a great bunch of guys to hang out and ride with, so that's how I got started in this. I communicate with Mike L., Todd, and some other guys at I.H. as well as dw from time to time when it comes to helping you guys out.

I love DH and I like to hear from all of you guys as you share in the knowledge base for the Sunday. The easier it is to find info on setting up your ride properly the more fun you'll have tearing it up on the mountain. :biggrin:

As far as the Aussie distributor goes - I can't really say much about that, but I DO agree with you that you guys need to get better service/support down there. :)

Olliec - gonna send you a PM to get things sorted out for you. :)

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
The bike shop took care of it? So custom stuff? Because myself and several mates have tried to deal with IH AU and they are A-grade useless. They never fixed the problems for the guys I know (myself included, I've had custom hardware made up for my SGS).

On a side note, I met a guy at Buller who was up there with his brand new 06 Sunday, as in first ride ever, and he pulled it out of the car... it had play in it. ANYWAY... like you say, broken record, so I'm just gonna say I'm glad they fixed the 07s and leave it at that.
ha no way bud, the IH dealer in England is useless, an di mean, they did not even know what the new linkage kit was called!!!:clapping:

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ok, im tryin to dial in my new fox dhx 5.0 on my 2007 sunday frame, i started with the tips from the first page, but i want some more tips to get in exactly dialed for my weight im about 155, i like it really plush feelin, can i get some recommendations for psi, and other settings thanks.

Jan 10, 2007
east bay
hey guys, Ive posted a few comments about my shock before but heres the deal now. Im just startin to get used to my sunday and im likin it alot now. Im just wondering because I am a very light rider at 120 pounds and im running a 250 lb spring. It feels right but I am also running minimum air pressure and it can feel a bit sluggish at times. Would increasing my air pressure to 110 like reccomended make it that much stiffer? or does the spring determine most of the stiffness?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
hey guys, Ive posted a few comments about my shock before but heres the deal now. Im just startin to get used to my sunday and im likin it alot now. Im just wondering because I am a very light rider at 120 pounds and im running a 250 lb spring. It feels right but I am also running minimum air pressure and it can feel a bit sluggish at times. Would increasing my air pressure to 110 like reccomended make it that much stiffer? or does the spring determine most of the stiffness?
DHX or 5th? What year sunday?

By sluggish, do you mean it won't rebound fast enough, or does it feel like it just sucks the life out of all your movements?

Since your so light, and need such a soft spring, there is often too much rebound damping for said spring weight. Lightening the rebound circuit is difficult, but that also depends on your shock.

Air pressure generally affects progressiveness, and indirectly affects compression and spring weight. So, having more air primarily makes it ramp up faster, but will also make it slightly stiffer.

If by "sluggish" you mean it's wallowing under rider input, more psi or a hair more compression could help.

Terppa

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Finland
Is there anyone else who has fractured Sunday frame? I have owned Sunday frame year and three months now. Couple of days ago I noticed fractures shown in a picture. Link to the picture -> http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8210590vf7.jpg

There is fractures both sides of the frame. Fracture shown in a picture is longer one.

F*** :banghead: . There has been enough problems with this sh** without these fractures. Linkage, shock etc.

Now it looks like that Iron Horses customer service is not nearly in the same level as what Turner has.

There is a one good thing. Now I know that this is my first and last Iron Horse.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Guys - take it easy now.

:)

Retro - I emailed all of your info to Mike L. at Iron Horse, - I'll keep on top of him to make sure you get taken care of and get a replacement frame. He will get back to you soon.

Terppa - could you give me your frame serial number?

I'll send it along to Mike and see if they can get you a replacement frame as well.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
Guys - take it easy now.

Retro - I emailed all of your info to Mike L. at Iron Horse, - I'll keep on top of him to make sure you get taken care of and get a replacement frame. He will get back to you soon.

"Easy like a Sunday morning !" :busted:

Nice info to hear!!!

Hope to hear some news soon!

Thank you and Mike as well for your efforts!

malymato

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Hi guys, does anyone have a personal experience with a DHX5 AIR on a Sunday. How does it feel? Sensitive enough? Reliable??? thanks

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
S.K.C. do you know if Mike will be at the Eurobike this week?

Maybe I can handle the issue with my frame there, because I´ll be there on friday!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hi guys, does anyone have a personal experience with a DHX5 AIR on a Sunday. How does it feel? Sensitive enough? Reliable??? thanks
Pity you didn't ask for internet hearsay, you would have gotten plenty of that!

Anyway - personal experience, I've been running an 07 DHX5 Air in an 07 sunday for a few months now and it has been nothing short of brilliant. Have done countless runs on some of the rockier/looser tracks here and it has handled it all perfectly. No dramas at all in the reliability department either, as long as you regrease/oil the air sleeve at the recommended intervals (fox provide instructions) it shouldn't give you any trouble in the long term.

Personally I think the sunday is probably the best suited frame for the shock - nice low leverage ratio means less pressure / less heat for a given body weight.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
It really depends on rider weight - Udi, I'm guessing you're probably under 90 kilos, because Todd ran his Sunday with the DHX Air 5.0 for a few DH runs last year at Diablo and the thing built up so much heat you couldn't even touch the shock body. He also said that the performance wasn't all theat great either - lacking mid-stroke performance - probably due to the overheating.

Keep in mind that Tod is in the neighborhood of about 200 lbs. or 90 kilos...

If you weigh between 55 and 75 kilos, I would say that you would be fine on the DHX Air and have a similar experience to Udi's.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
About how much for a replacement, red DW link from an '06 Sunday? Mine's quite ovalized at the hole for the swingarm bolt/pin.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Hey,

Does anyone know if Iron Horse have the 08 Sunday stickers for sale?

I'm thinking of coloring my sunday.

Before i do, Does anyone want the Gold sunday that Duncan Riffle used at last years world?

Cheers

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
Just came back from Eurobike with some news for the 08´Sundays you won´t find on the updated homepage!

First of all: all complete-bikes and frame-kits will be available something between oct/nov this year! Hope so!

Complete-bikes are all made in taiwan and there is nothing new except from colours and graphics!

There will only be two frame-kits this year and they will be made in U.S.A.!

One in white with green graphics and a black lower link, and a black one with white graphics and a green lower link!
And they will be specd with a DHX 5.0 and come with e.13 reducer cups and a orbit head-set!

All these informations are supplied without liability.

For pics check the new homepage!

Jan 10, 2007
east bay
hey guys I have a big problem. So I was up at northstar last weekend and as usual it beat the hell out of my bike. As I was riding my derailer hanger came loose and then I hit it on a rock. It knocked the bolt sideways and stripped the threads inside the frame. So know im with one hanger bolt that comes loose every half of a run for some reason and a stripped other one. Im not so sure about tapping it because it would void the warrenty right? If you could please help me that would be great thanks!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
hey guys I have a big problem. So I was up at northstar last weekend and as usual it beat the hell out of my bike. As I was riding my derailer hanger came loose and then I hit it on a rock. It knocked the bolt sideways and stripped the threads inside the frame. So know im with one hanger bolt that comes loose every half of a run for some reason and a stripped other one. Im not so sure about tapping it because it would void the warrenty right? If you could please help me that would be great thanks!
Heli-Coil is your best bet.

mugs4pres

Chimp
Jul 8, 2007
i have a 06 sunday and its making some creaking noises. the top shock mount is loose so that may be causing it. i looked at all my bearings and linkage and it seems fine. did anyone else experience the shock coming loose and creaking?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I'm assuming you have the original 06' Linkage correct?

All you need to do is put some blue threadlock on the screws that thread into the pin axle that goes through the shock eyelet.

The "loose" feeling is probably due to the original hardware that came with the shock. After general wear and tear, the bushings will get worn out and need to be replaced.

A good upgrade is a heavy duty kit like this that replaces the 2 bushings with one solid piece:

Standard Kit:

Heavy Duty:

Heavy Duty Assembled:

A good place to get this is either TFTuned in the U.K.:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/mount_kits.htm

OR from PUSH Industries here in the states:
http://www.pushindustries.com/

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
can you guys recommend me a good rear wheel/hub combo for my sunday?? i need a new one for a race next weekend thanks

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
well im willing to spend on something good, but not like crazy expensive if you know what i mean

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Sory to ask this cos' its probably been asked a million times in this thread.

So just got an 07 sunday, havent finished building it yet but im guessing the stock dhx/300lbs spring will be too sitff for me so...
what spring is reccomended for a 145lbs(kitted) rider? i tend to prefer a firmer feel over a wallowy feel, not such a plow rider however i think that with the dw link that It may not proform will with a stiffer spring than reccomended, so what do I need?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hmm the stock rear wheel from my 06 sunday team, the hub is getting a little wobbly is there anyway to get this repair?

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
CJM. you can try using a 5th spring (275x3.0)
or just add air to the shock.
it comes stock with a 300lbs, so i recon its 275 or 250 for my weight, i have a 275 5th but the fox strock is 3.25 and the 5th is 3.00 also from where im sitting the 5th spring looks a fair bit bigger in OD to me so i dunno if itll clear everything

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Right Guys - I've trawled through much of this thread - which Ive gotta say is fantastic and full of info! Wish more of the UK forms I use were as informative.

I've got an 06 Iron Horse 7point9, red anodized linkage etc. ...

Reading through this ive read a lot about the 'sunday' tune - but was wondering if this applied to all DW bikes - including my 7point. If so I was thinking of sending it to TF tuned to have it done.

Secondly, it has developed some play and its time for the bushings to be changed, this has taken several months however so no complaints there. But what bushings do i need? Are they 30mm x 8mm? which is what they seem to measure.

Anyone shed anymore light on this. Thanks.
Kav - Timmy at TFTuned would know exactly what kind of bushings you need - so while you're getting you're shock tuned, (TFTuned knows how to do the Sunday/DW-Link tune) he can take care of the bushings for you as well. :)

hmm the stock rear wheel from my 06 sunday team, the hub is getting a little wobbly is there anyway to get this repair?
Xemini - could you be more specific? What is happening exactly?