Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

gianthead

Chimp
Jun 26, 2006
Can you drill the 06 links and make them 10mm, like the 07?
Drill the links, drill the bushings and use a 10mm bolts...
Did anyone try it?
I was thinking about doing this as well. I was told that the links are EXACTLY the same except for the 10mm hardware by ironhorse. This would lead me to believe that the new links have the same cross sectional area as the old ones, just with larger clearance holes. In which case drilling the old links properly with a nice end mill setup would be fine. I havent gotten a straight answer out of anybody as to what the exact differences are between the 05 and 07 links. Maybe one of the IH guys that post here could enlighten me. Also, is it possible to get solid models of the new links?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I was thinking about doing this as well. I was told that the links are EXACTLY the same except for the 10mm hardware by ironhorse. This would lead me to believe that the new links have the same cross sectional area as the old ones, just with larger clearance holes. In which case drilling the old links properly with a nice end mill setup would be fine. I havent gotten a straight answer out of anybody as to what the exact differences are between the 05 and 07 links. Maybe one of the IH guys that post here could enlighten me. Also, is it possible to get solid models of the new links?
Who at Iron Horse told you that? The links are not the same - at all.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ok, to clear this up, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DRILL OUT YOUR '05/'06 LINKS! considering who designed these, do you *really* think that the links would have a lot of excess material there?? The top link on the 05/06 has 4mm of material all the way around the bolt hole. If you drill that out by 1.5mm or so (how steady are you on that drill press?), you're losing almost half of the material, in a very, very important place.

So just don't do it. Or do it, and then make sure you videotape yourself riding afterwards so when your link snaps, sends your rear shock *through* the top tube and results in a horrific crash, you can be a warning to everyone else *not* to try it.

j/k

please don't do it.

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
Everyone, here is the official notice as I am 1 of 4 guys who handle the warranty at Iron Horse... IF you drill or modify your linkages in anyway, you will completely, 100%, void any warranty or possible replacement on any parts or frame. So Please DO NOT do this, the warranty dept was made aware of this through the product dept (Todd and Travis) and if we see any modifications done like this you will void your warranty. If you guys have any questions concerning 07 linkages you can email me at:
MikeL@ironhorsebikes.com or MikeL@worldwidecyclesuppyl.com or call 1-800-645-5477 ext 215

Thanks for your cooperation
-Mike L - Warranty/customer service

gianthead

Chimp
Jun 26, 2006
Dante, thanks for clearing that up. I havent actually looked at the linkage closely enough to make that kind of decision as I do not have my sunday yet..(2 weeks:happydance:). Im trying to gather as much info as possible though before I get it. I def agree that dave probably shaved as much weight as possible when designing them. That is also a very critical location and considering the stress concentration increase with the larger hole, 2mm of material would not be sufficient. Thanks.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Ok ok ok
Just asking…
I was thinking on doing that because of the little annoying loose upper link….
I've just changed the shock upper bushings (went to someone who made them for me… cost me some money)
Now there is nothing loose on the links. It's great!!! Peaty a new bike has to be like that…. (I have the bike only for 3 days)

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I just bought an 06 Sunday Team, size small. I am 5'1 and pretty small, will this fit me? I had to order it and was not able to sit on one. Any recommendations for how to set this up for a petite rider?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
DirtDivaDH:
I just bought an 06 Sunday Team, size small. I am 5'1 and pretty small, will this fit me? I had to order it and was not able to sit on one. Any recommendations for how to set this up for a petite rider?
Wow.

You are tiny. My ex-girlfriend was about your size.

I'd say a small would be a bit big for you, but if you ran a direct mount stem with almost no extension or a regular stem that is about 30mm in length or less (Race Face makes the Diabolus in 30mm) you should be O.K.

I know it's impolite to ask a Lady her weight, but I'm guessing you'd want to be running either a 250 or 200 lbs. spring on your shock depending on your riding style and weight.

Also you could definitely get away with some lightweight components, like maybe DT Swiss 5.1d rims - they do dent easily, so if you are an AM class rider, maybe something like a set of Mavic 721's would be better. I'd also go with 2.5" tires to save some more weight.

Hope this helps.

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I am 120 pounds and a pretty agressive rider for my size. I race pro dh and like drops and jumps. Doesn't the bike come with the direct mount stem and DT swiss wheels? Do they actually make a spring that small, because the smallest I have found is 300. I have been trying to find the length of the top tube-is it around 22 inches? Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Christine

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The Sunday Team comes spec'd w/ 5.1's. For a race bike they more than work out. They shave good weight and are decently durable. They ding up less than the 6.1's. All Sundays come w/ Funn direct mount stems. The Boxxer one has 5mm of adjustment for fine tuning position.

Light springs are out there, you just sometimes have to do some digging to find them. Fox makes 250#'s and I think RCS might have a 200# ti.

Anka Martin is wee sized and rides a 16" Sunday.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
a ti coil will also be more plush
No it won't. A spring rate is a spring rate. However, it does make your bike lighter in a crucial area, which depending on the bike, can significantly change the ride characteristics of the bike.

-ska todd

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
ska todd know the wieght of the 5.1 wheelset, i just got some 2350, wonder which is lighter. . reasin i ask is because i dont know the wieght of the alloy hubs

and also when the sundays should be out in the us, i hear theyve been shipped from taiwan already, i heard another week till they hit customs? this true?

thanks
\Eren

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
ska todd know the wieght of the 5.1 wheelset, i just got some 2350, wonder which is lighter. . reasin i ask is because i dont know the wieght of the alloy hubs

and also when the sundays should be out in the us, i hear theyve been shipped from taiwan already, i heard another week till they hit customs? this true?

thanks
\Eren
the dt swiss 5.1 wheelset on the sunday is supposed to be 1750g.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
the dt swiss 5.1 wheelset on the sunday is supposed to be 1750g.
Doubtful. Back in my wieght weenie days I had a set of xc disc hoops built by oddsnendos.com - great wheels, 32h American Classic lite disc hubs, double butted spokes, aluminum nipples, ~400g Sun DS1 rims - came to 1697g for the set. I don't believe you can build a set of wheels with rims that weigh ~200g more and a 150mm rear hub (most likely with brass nips) for only ~50g more.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Of course you could go to the DT swiss web site and read about the wheels rather than making up guesses......just a thought...

BTW the wheels are called the 1750 and they weigh 1750g. Bladed spokes, Al pro lock nipples, and 500g rims. The hubs are essentially the 240..they are quite light. Keep in mind that a 150 rear hub does not include an axle, so it is quite possible for the 150mm hub to be lighter than a 135mm that includes an axle.

now I would not expect these things to last very long if ridden hard, but you have to give IH props for spec'ing what their racers actually use...whether it is the best for the average consumer or not.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
now I would not expect these things to last very long if ridden hard, but you have to give IH props for spec'ing what their racers actually use...whether it is the best for the average consumer or not.
I'll honestly say that the 1750's held in for a lot longer than even I gave them credit for up-front.

I had an original proto set on my bike up at Whistler for 5 days last summer. They held on well for that time + the following weekend at Diablo. I tried my damnedest to kill em too and didn't puzzyfoot em. I cased the crap out of the rear on a rock and thought for SURE I exploded the wheel (and would be walking down off Garbanzo) but, it held in there. By the end of my purposeful thrashing of them I put a couple dings in (less than on 6.1's) and a crack but considering what I put them thru I surely expected worse. They still roll true and tension was ok. The front one seemed 100%.

-ska todd

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I'll honestly say that the 1750's held in for a lot longer than even I gave them credit for up-front.

I had an original proto set on my bike up at Whistler for 5 days last summer. They held on well for that time + the following weekend at Diablo. I tried my damnedest to kill em too and didn't puzzyfoot em. I cased the crap out of the rear on a rock and thought for SURE I exploded the wheel (and would be walking down off Garbanzo) but, it held in there. By the end of my purposeful thrashing of them I put a couple dings in (less than on 6.1's) and a crack but considering what I put them thru I surely expected worse. They still roll true and tension was ok. The front one seemed 100%.

-ska todd
sounds like a perfect set of race wheels, and trail ride/training wheels... i know that is what i am going to be using them for. i will just build a spare set of good soild whels for dh training and courses like mount snow's ncs and the mount st anne world cup track.

i think they are a great spec for a world cup level race bike

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Doubtful. Back in my wieght weenie days I had a set of xc disc hoops built by oddsnendos.com - great wheels, 32h American Classic lite disc hubs, double butted spokes, aluminum nipples, ~400g Sun DS1 rims - came to 1697g for the set. I don't believe you can build a set of wheels with rims that weigh ~200g more and a 150mm rear hub (most likely with brass nips) for only ~50g more.
Ok here's an example of how you can build a sub 1750g wheelset. The 1750g weight is for the 20mm/135.

20mm hope 174g
135mm QR Hope 286g
Dt aerolite spokes 139g/32
Dt swiss 5.1 rims 500g ea

=1738g complete wheelset

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Not a lot of pros run them on their bikes for general track use because lack of performance under race conditions, plus the shock bodies tend to heat up from rough terrain.

SkaTodd had a DHX Air on his bike at Diablo, and he said the thing got so hot you could barely touch it! Mid-stroke is lacking too.

I would only use the DHX Air for really smooth tracks, like Sea Otter which is probably the only place you'll see a lot of riders using one.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Ok here's an example of how you can build a sub 1750g wheelset. The 1750g weight is for the 20mm/135.

20mm hope 174g
135mm QR Hope 286g
Dt aerolite spokes 139g/32
Dt swiss 5.1 rims 500g ea

=1738g complete wheelset
Uh oh, feeling a weight weenie flashback coming on...
Pretty impressive, but think ya forgot nipples. And as you know your wheelset wouldn't work on a Sunday, so you need to add a bit of bulk to get the proper rear hub. According to the weightweenie website, a rear Hope 150mm hub w/ ti freehub weighs 375g. If they make a lighter one, they don't have it listed.
And I personally wouldn't build a xc wheelset with those spokes, either, but that's just me...
Also, it's misleading to use manufacturer's weights. Real world weights almost always end up being more. My Am. Classic xc wheelset started out with 355g worth of hub (ft and rr) and 400g rims, but with skewers still ended up around 1700g.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Uh oh, feeling a weight weenie flashback coming on...
Pretty impressive, but think ya forgot nipples.

Those ARE all real numbers. I wouldn't use claimed numbers when i'm telling you how to do it.

The nipples are included in the spoke weight.

I never said the Sunday wheelset was 1750g with a 150mm rear end, just that the 20mm/135mm version can easily be 1750g.

Rim
Front Hub
Rear Hub
I don't have a picture of the spokes, but thats what they weigh. Sapim CX-ray's are the same weight pretty much as well.

end

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hope claims 295g on a 32 hole 150x12 Pro II rear hub. I realize that's a claimed weight.

On another note, I'll weigh the 1750 wheels on my digital scales. Just give me a day or two since I need to pull off the tires, cassette, and rotors.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Hope claims 295g on a 32 hole 150x12 Pro II rear hub. I realize that's a claimed weight.

On another note, I'll weigh the 1750 wheels on my digital scales. Just give me a day or two since I need to pull off the tires, cassette, and rotors.
Don't forget the rimstrip tape :)