Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
God bless Chuck Norris!!!

" God said: It shall be light! Chuck Norris answered: Say please!!!"

" Chuck Norris donates blood sometimes. But never his own!"

:busted:

Jul 31, 2006
Ive got a setup question.

Im 6'0 tall and weigh 205lbs without gear. The first page in this thread shows spring rates up to a 180lbs rider.

My current setup:

2006 Iron Horse Sunday w/ Big Bolt Kit
DHX 5.0

450# Spring
110psi
Full Bottom Out
Rebound set just before "top out"
4 Clicks Pro-pedal
Minimum Spring Preload

The bike feels "ok" but not amazing. I feel like I'm missing the suppleness. I think I made the mistake of letting the Fox booth rebuild my shock during crankworx this year. My friend said that they were changing peoples base valving to the newer set-up, it worked well for my friends DHR. I brought my shock in for a rebuild, may as well it was free... And now I'm scared its no longer got the DW Link specific damping.

For my weight what spring rate should I be at, maybe I'm just riding too deep in my travel?

Thanks guys.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would say you are pretty close on the spring rate..if anything try a 400. I am about 190-195 without gear and run a 350 with about 100psi full bottom out, rebound all the way out, couple of clicks pro pedal.

It certainly is not enough spring for me to go hucking..but it seems perfect for general DH...only occasional bottoming on larger flatter landings.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Ive got a setup question.

Im 5'10 to 6'0 tall and weigh 205lbs without gear. The first page in this thread shows spring rates up to a 180lbs rider.

My current setup:

2006 Iron Horse Sunday w/ Big Bolt Kit
DHX 5.0

450# Spring
110psi
Full Bottom Out
Rebound set just before "top out"
4 Clicks Pro-pedal
Minimum Spring Preload

The bike feels "ok" but not amazing. I feel like I'm missing the suppleness. I think I made the mistake of letting the Fox booth rebuild my shock during crankworx this year. My friend said that they were changing peoples base valving to the newer set-up, it worked well for my friends DHR. I brought my shock in for a rebuild, may as well it was free... And now I'm scared its no longer got the DW Link specific damping.

For my weight what spring rate should I be at, maybe I'm just riding too deep in my travel?

Thanks guys.
Yikes...

Do you have a receipt or record of their work? If you can find a work order #, you MIGHT be able to contact Fox and then have them re-trace back to what the guys in the trailer were doing on site that day. Maybe.

Davep has some good suggestions, but you say:

The bike feels "ok" but not amazing. I feel like I'm missing the suppleness.
I'm assuming you are referring to small bump sensitivity, correct? Try running this set-up:

400# Spring
80psi Be Careful! DO NOT go below 75psi! To be safe make sure the dial on the shock pump reads 85psi just in case you loose some air disconnecting the hose. (probably won't happen, but to err on the safe side...)
Full Bottom Out
Rebound - add a few clicks to slow this down some more (experiment)
2 Clicks Pro-pedal
Spring Preload = 1 Full turn from engagement (this means to tighten the collar until it initially contacts the spring and doesn't rattle. Then add 1 complete turn of the collar)

EDIT: ALSO - make sure that all of your suspension linkage hardware is greased properly AND tightened to the proper torque values. Check the first page of the thread to find this info.

If you are still lacking small-bump sensitivity, decrease Pro-Pedal to zero. If you are still having issues after this, then it would seem that Fox may have changed some things.

Hope this helps.

Don Diablo

Chimp
Jan 18, 2005
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm trying to replace the bearings of my SUnday. But I'm having a bit of trouble getting the old ones out. Especially the black outer bearing cup / thingy on the drive side, lower link, the one that has the shock attached to it.
And with putting the new bearings in, do I need a bearing press or are there alternatives?

Tips anybody?

Jul 31, 2006
Yikes...

Do you have a receipt or record of their work? If you can find a work order #, you MIGHT be able to contact Fox and then have them re-trace back to what the guys in the trailer were doing on site that day. Maybe.

Davep has some good suggestions, but you say:

I'm assuming you are referring to small bump sensitivity, correct? Try running this set-up:

400# Spring
80psi Be Careful! DO NOT go below 75psi! To be safe make sure the dial on the shock pump reads 85psi just in case you loose some air disconnecting the hose. (probably won't happen, but to err on the safe side...)
Full Bottom Out
Rebound - add a few clicks to slow this down some more (experiment)
2 Clicks Pro-pedal
Spring Preload = 1 Full turn from engagement (this means to tighten the collar until it initially contacts the spring and doesn't rattle. Then add 1 complete turn of the collar)

EDIT: ALSO - make sure that all of your suspension linkage hardware is greased properly AND tightened to the proper torque values. Check the first page of the thread to find this info.

If you are still lacking small-bump sensitivity, decrease Pro-Pedal to zero. If you are still having issues after this, then it would seem that Fox may have changed some things.

Hope this helps.
Im gonna stay away from a 400# spring. Im around 215-220 in riding equipment and the 350# was completely imberable.

Ill try decreasing the airpressure and propedal and get out for a rip tomorrow morning.

As it stands a 04 specialized big hit feels leeps and bounds better than my current set up on the sunday.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I Cant Get Those Freaking Bearings Out!!!!!!!!
Dood...chill...you haven't even told anyone what method you are using to get them out. So how easy is it for anyone to give you some tips?

Here's a few methods I have used:

1) A US quarter (or any large, thick coin), a punch and a hammer. Not so useful for putting them back in. In a pinch, you can get away with using a vice.

2) C-clamp and sockets. You'll need a pretty large socket for the large bearings.

3) Bearing press. I used one from Santa Cruz, but still had to use the large socket for the big bearings.

Hope this helps.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Im gonna stay away from a 400# spring. Im around 215-220 in riding equipment and the 350# was completely imberable.

Ill try decreasing the airpressure and propedal and get out for a rip tomorrow morning.

As it stands a 04 specialized big hit feels leeps and bounds better than my current set up on the sunday.
Brilliant - so why ask for advice if you're gonna ignore it?
I weigh 195 suited up, and I found the 350lb spring w/ no preload to work great. So for you at 20 lbs heavier, more than likely a 100lb stiffer spring is too much, and that's why a big hit feels better than your Sunday currently. A spring is what - $40 bucks? Cheap experiment, and you can resell it if you really don't like it. Or just keep messing around with other settings that aren't going to help. :clapping:

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Currently running a DHX on 2006 sunday. since it's the end of the season, was going to do some upgrades when things are availble like the 07 linkages. I was thinking ahead to send back my Fox to service and if I upgrade to the 07 links, Is there special bushings required to fit the new linkages? Reason I asked I see a couple of guys running them o the 07 frames and the bushings looks way wider.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Bushings have nothing to do with the frame....are you talking about reducers??

The '07 linkage kit comes with reducers, harware, and the links. The '07 links 'step in' to the upper shock mount so that mount width is significantly shorter on the '07 and up links vs the older ones.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I weigh 230, and with a 450# spring, I have about 25% sag, I wouldn't go any heavier. The 400 was decent, that's what I ran for the 06 season.

That said Dante, I'd try the 400. I think it'd work well for you. If it doesn't, you may need to adjust your riding style. Maybe hit less roof drops to flat?? (just a guess). I think the Sundays ride best between 25 and 30% sag. Staying sorta high in the travel helps when you're going quick in the rough. I tried a 500 and it felt like ass.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Currently running a DHX on 2006 sunday. since it's the end of the season, was going to do some upgrades when things are availble like the 07 linkages. I was thinking ahead to send back my Fox to service and if I upgrade to the 07 links, Is there special bushings required to fit the new linkages? Reason I asked I see a couple of guys running them o the 07 frames and the bushings looks way wider.
Tank - just so we can get our nomenclature (terminology) straight - could you be more specific as to what you mean when you refer to "bushings"?

There are bushings, reducers, pin axles, etc.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here... :)

blairxx

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
HI there ,
Im about to get an 08 worldcup sunday and am unable to get hold of a spring for the vivid or find out what the ID is of the standard spring to see if any others will fit . Whats the deal ? Im picturing all owners rolling round snapping their bikes due to being undersprung . Im 200lbs so the 300 lb spring is way to light . Im assuming ill need about a 350 , what increments will the springs come in ? All the wholesalers Ive spoken to just say they are waiting .
Thanks

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Vivid springs are not yet widely available...the shocks themselves are very hard to come by at this time still....the deal is that in the US, there are about 20 vivid shocks in non-sponsored riders hands...so aftermarket springs are not at big deal YET.

The I.D is 1.5 inch....a romic or an avalanche spring should work.

Jul 31, 2006
I weigh 230, and with a 450# spring, I have about 25% sag, I wouldn't go any heavier. The 400 was decent, that's what I ran for the 06 season.

That said Dante, I'd try the 400. I think it'd work well for you. If it doesn't, you may need to adjust your riding style. Maybe hit less roof drops to flat?? (just a guess). I think the Sundays ride best between 25 and 30% sag. Staying sorta high in the travel helps when you're going quick in the rough. I tried a 500 and it felt like ass.
Thanks man, thats the kind of info I want. Need real experiance. Since your heavier than me and like the 450 and 400 worked ill try going down a size.

I lowered my air pressure from 110 to 80 and it made a great difference as well. A much livelier feel.

Jul 31, 2006
Vivid springs are not yet widely available...the shocks themselves are very hard to come by at this time still....the deal is that in the US, there are about 20 vivid shocks in non-sponsored riders hands...so aftermarket springs are not at big deal YET.

The I.D is 1.5 inch....a romic or an avalanche spring should work.
If avy springs work he may be able to try a motocross suspension shop....

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yep - it's still pretty early for vendors and retailers to have enough parts in stock (if any) to help support the Vivid.

Give RS a couple of months for Vivid shipments to circulate and then everything should be good to go.

:biggrin:

blairxx

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
cool thanks ,
Ive got the bike and tracked down a spring , any tips as far as base line settings go for the shock ?

mann

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
Hi all
I've managed to get hold of a Sunday WC Ltd Ed.Problem is it comes with DHX Air shock.
Shud I keep it and run my races with it?
I'm only 5'3" and abt 140lbs.I don't do much freeriding anymore.It'll sure make the bike much lighter but not sure if i like the feel of air compared to coil.
Advice anyone?

blairxx

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
I ran an air shock for a while last season , good for flatter tracks but crap when it gets rough , seal friction causes alot of extra heat and they loose rebound as a result ( and a bit of compression damping ) . Great fun though , corners awesome and I didnt manage to blow it up . Even with a couple of runs down Schladming with 240 PSi in the can .
The gist of it is probably get a coil and keep the Air shock as a spare , or so Id reckon . I beleive the bike you got was owned by a freind of mine and she loved it with the air shock , hence me bothering to reply to this , depends how much and what sort of riding yourre doing I guess .

mann

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
I ran an air shock for a while last season , good for flatter tracks but crap when it gets rough , seal friction causes alot of extra heat and they loose rebound as a result ( and a bit of compression damping ) . Great fun though , corners awesome and I didnt manage to blow it up . Even with a couple of runs down Schladming with 240 PSi in the can .
The gist of it is probably get a coil and keep the Air shock as a spare , or so Id reckon . I beleive the bike you got was owned by a freind of mine and she loved it with the air shock , hence me bothering to reply to this , depends how much and what sort of riding yourre doing I guess .
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah maybe get me a coil shock n keep the air as spare.Ahahahah....so you're Amy's friend.:cheers:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Hi all
I've managed to get hold of a Sunday WC Ltd Ed.Problem is it comes with DHX Air shock.
Shud I keep it and run my races with it?
I'm only 5'3" and abt 140lbs.I don't do much freeriding anymore.It'll sure make the bike much lighter but not sure if i like the feel of air compared to coil.
Advice anyone?
ltd edition? have any pictures? or are you talkinga bout one of the worlds frames from 06?

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Tank - just so we can get our nomenclature (terminology) straight - could you be more specific as to what you mean when you refer to "bushings"?

There are bushings, reducers, pin axles, etc.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here... :)
I'm referring to the area when you overhaul the shock off the bike and if you're holding the shock, there's 2 pieces of aluminum(bushings),,sort of like dime sizes. Basically it's 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. I refer them as bushings since I know they're worned out and it gives a bit of lateral play when I pull on the seat up&down. And I see it has play in it. So I was thinking does the new linkage require wider ones? Also wondering if I don't go with the upgrade, maybe I can still get wider bushings from fox and still run it on the old 06 linkages?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm referring to the area when you overhaul the shock off the bike and if you're holding the shock, there's 2 pieces of aluminum(bushings),,sort of like dime sizes. Basically it's 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. I refer them as bushings since I know they're worned out and it gives a bit of lateral play when I pull on the seat up&down. And I see it has play in it. So I was thinking does the new linkage require wider ones? Also wondering if I don't go with the upgrade, maybe I can still get wider bushings from fox and still run it on the old 06 linkages?
Reducers is what you are referring to. They press into the DU bushings which in turn press into the shock ends. You will probably want to replace the DU bushings as well as the reducers. I'd recommend the heavy duty steel reducers since you are replacing them - they will wear much longer.

Jan 1, 2008
Can anyone tell me where I can get a T.H.E Chainstay Protectors in the UK? I'm looking for the one that comes on the Sunday Frameset. I've dona little searching around here and had a look on the THE website, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

HappyMullet.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Whew... managed to get through New Years relatively unscathed... :biggrin:

Tank - just what Dog said - those are reducers and DU bushings you are dealing with - I'll check with the guys in the front office to see what the deal is on width. Gotta run but I'll be back on here tonight.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Can anyone tell me where I can get a T.H.E Chainstay Protectors in the UK? I'm looking for the one that comes on the Sunday Frameset. I've dona little searching around here and had a look on the THE website, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

HappyMullet.
Mullet - your best bet is to try and contact Mike L. in Customer Service here in the States. If you go to the first page of this thread you will see all the inof posted in archival format along with Mike's contact info.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
*NOTE:

Guys, what's up?

I'm moving into a new apartment over the next few days so if I don't get back to you with the usual speed, I apologize.

Everything should be back to normal by... oh... next Thursday.

Please try to bear with me.

Thanx

:biggrin:

S.K.C.