Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
I've read and read and probably missed the answers but here are my questions. BB size on my 05 team? And what can I do to run a different shock. 1st page says nothing but ive seen people run roco's on 05's.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
83 mm bb.

newer linkages allow more shock variation. for example, the ?06? was changed to allow the DHX to fit.....the 08 was modified to fit the vivid.

I am 99% sure the roco will fit the 06 and above linkage...but I would spend the $ for the newest versions (F7) that use different shock hardware and narrow at the top shock mount.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've read and read and probably missed the answers but here are my questions. BB size on my 05 team? And what can I do to run a different shock. 1st page says nothing but ive seen people run roco's on 05's.
Actually all this info is on the front page BUT... :biggrin:

To clarify:

Like davep said, the BB for your Sunday (and all model years for that matter) is 83mm.

A Rocco will not clear the 05' lower link, but you can upgrade to the 08' lower link and run the Rocco without any problems. You will need new hardware to run this shock however. Talk to CarlE at Iron Horse to get hooked up with the hardware you need:

CarlE@ironhorsebikes.com

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
but you can upgrade to the 08' lower link and run the Rocco without any problems. You will need new hardware to run this shock however. Talk to CarlE at Iron Horse to get hooked up with the hardware you need:

CarlE@ironhorsebikes.com

????? Carl told me that I could only get the 08 lower link if I bought the entire linkage kit. He said the only way to buy a link only would be to get the red '06. Not gonna run a Vivid since they are NO where to be found but it better clear the Roco I got last night.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
alright. so i think it's finally time to replace the 5th element that has been slowly dying on my 05 seven.seven. i'm thinking either roco or vivid at the moment and am wondering if shocks still need a special tune to work well with dw link?

sorry if this has already been covered, but i've been out of the loop for awhile and 70 pages is a bit much to sift through.

ps, anyone know how much a derailur hanger sets you back?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
sorry skc thanks
Hey man - it's OK. :)

I do my best to make sure all the info is easy to get to.

????? Carl told me that I could only get the 08 lower link if I bought the entire linkage kit. He said the only way to buy a link only would be to get the red '06. Not gonna run a Vivid since they are NO where to be found but it better clear the Roco I got last night.
Really?

OK - because when I spoke with him when they first got the new linkage bits in a few months ago I was told that people could buy the lower link seperately. I'll have to get in touch with him to see if this has definitely changed.

I was also not aware that they still had the red ano 06' lower links for sale... yeah - I definitely need to talk to Carl. :)

The 08 Linkage and Lower Link will definitely clear the Rocco - to make the 07' lower link (which already worked with the Rocco) compatible with the Vivid, they had to make the inner space of the linkage a bit bigger to accomodate the adjusters on the Vivid.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
If your bike is an 07 then you could purchase just the lower link but if it's an 05/06 then you would need to purchase the main pivot also as it threads into the new lower link. This would also change the lower shock pin to 10mm so you would need new lower shock hardware. If you're running the 06 red lower link then you'll be fine with your Roco. So you could purchase an 08 lower link by itself but if you don't have an 07 Sunday then it's not going to work without the new main pivot. Hope that clarifies what I meant.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Dropping in with a quick question.
Some time ago, when people were asking about the double barrel in the sunday, the answer was a resounding no - overdamped at minimum settings.

But you look on cane creek's db faq, and they say it "..will work very well with the sunday's leverage ratio".

But it also suggests that nothing has been changed about the shock, and they don't do custom tunes - and any shock will need not only a custom tune but essentially a re-port / re-valve to give LESS damping than at minimum settings.

So it begs the question - are they full of it, or will the db work well in the sunday like they say? I'm curious. :)

http://www.canecreek.com/double-barrel-faqs.html

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Dropping in with a quick question.
Some time ago, when people were asking about the double barrel in the sunday, the answer was a resounding no - overdamped at minimum settings.

But you look on cane creek's db faq, and they say it "..will work very well with the sunday's leverage ratio".

But it also suggests that nothing has been changed about the shock, and they don't do custom tunes - and any shock will need not only a custom tune but essentially a re-port / re-valve to give LESS damping than at minimum settings.

So it begs the question - are they full of it, or will the db work well in the sunday like they say? I'm curious. :)

http://www.canecreek.com/double-barrel-faqs.html
...curious to start trouble young man?!

:biggrin:

The Cane Creek DB will indeed work with the Sunday's lev. ratio, however both test riders for I.H. and others have said that they could not get the rebound "fast" enough to suit their riding conditions / style. So, as a warning to prospective DB buyers information about the rebound was put out so that Sunday owners could make an informed decision. It's really up to the rider if they feel it's too slow or not, but they should be aware of this before they make the purchase.

All OEM shocks that go on the Sunday have had a re-port / re-valve of some sort (I do not know the specifics) I do know that the OEM 5th Element, DHX, and now the Vivid all have less compression and rebound damping than OEM shocks found on other bikes.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
If your bike is an 07 then you could purchase just the lower link but if it's an 05/06 then you would need to purchase the main pivot also as it threads into the new lower link. This would also change the lower shock pin to 10mm so you would need new lower shock hardware. If you're running the 06 red lower link then you'll be fine with your Roco. So you could purchase an 08 lower link by itself but if you don't have an 07 Sunday then it's not going to work without the new main pivot. Hope that clarifies what I meant.
Thanks for the clarification. Worked out better for me to get the red link since I can't find a Vivid ANY where. I wound up with a Roco WC which fits fine with the red link and the total price that made the wife happy since I took the least expensive way out. Now I just need to get the bike on the mountain!!

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Hey fellas. I just refabed my new used frame. What parts of the links (old style links) do you guys lube up? I rebuilt it using minimal grease and she has some wicked a*s creeks. On the lower link do you guys lube the aluminum link pivots that the lower shock axle goes through?
Thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey fellas. I just refabed my new used frame. What parts of the links (old style links) do you guys lube up? I rebuilt it using minimal grease and she has some wicked a*s creeks. On the lower link do you guys lube the aluminum link pivots that the lower shock axle goes through?
Thanks
Lube the shock pins that go through the links, and the alu cups that insert into the frame/links (lightly).

If you still have creaks it could be that a piece of shock/linkage/pivot hardware is worn out somehwere.

Hope This helps!

NOTE*: I'm currently moving into another apartment right now so I don't have a computer connection at my place yet (using other people's computers temporarily). If it takes a day or two to reply, I apologize for the inconvienience, but this is only temporary and should have my computer set up soon.

bikemuscle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
The frame came with the Rockshox Vivid and a 300lb spring, I switched it to the 450lb spring about a week ago and haven’t had any problems, when I was cleaning my bike I noticed that it was touching against the frame and rubbing a small amount of paint off the frame and there is scratches on the spring where it was resting against the frame. The spring rests against the right side of the frame, the other side has almost 2mm of space, which is not very much space. This only happens when the bike is not weighted, when I sit on the bike the spring moves away from that spot. Rotating the spring dosent help either, I also tried to retighten all the bolts, but then again I only have 2mm of space to work with.
Without gear I weigh 230lbs and I’m getting 1/3 sag without having to preload the spring. I’m thinking the 400lb might be too soft for me but maybe I should try it. I’m also concerned about when the pivots start to stretch out, possibly causing the spring to hit the frame more. Is there any other riders out there running 450lb spring with this setup, any suggestions?

Attachments

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
The frame came with the Rockshox Vivid and a 300lb spring, I switched it to the 450lb spring about a week ago and haven’t had any problems, when I was cleaning my bike I noticed that it was touching against the frame and rubbing a small amount of paint off the frame and there is scratches on the spring where it was resting against the frame. The spring rests against the right side of the frame, the other side has almost 2mm of space, which is not very much space. This only happens when the bike is not weighted, when I sit on the bike the spring moves away from that spot. Rotating the spring dosent help either, I also tried to retighten all the bolts, but then again I only have 2mm of space to work with.
Without gear I weigh 230lbs and I’m getting 1/3 sag without having to preload the spring. I’m thinking the 400lb might be too soft for me but maybe I should try it. I’m also concerned about when the pivots start to stretch out, possibly causing the spring to hit the frame more. Is there any other riders out there running 450lb spring with this setup, any suggestions?
Is this a stock Rock Shox spring or an aftermarket spring? The Vivid's a tighter fit then the DHX but it shouldn't rub so it leads me to believe that the spring is slightly wider then the stock spring.

bikemuscle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
Is this a stock Rock Shox spring or an aftermarket spring? The Vivid's a tighter fit then the DHX but it shouldn't rub so it leads me to believe that the spring is slightly wider then the stock spring.
This a Rock Shox 450lb spring, I just compared the RockShox 300lb to a Fox 700lb and the diameter of the spring dosent apear to increase, only the size of the coils increase, and there less space between the coils, which increases the chances of it hitting the frame. I'm not sure if this is consistent with RockShox springs though. I have to take the 450lb off to compare to the 300lb. I'm just going to take it down to my bike shop to see what they say. :banghead:

Attachments

bikemuscle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
just came from the bike shop he measured a 300lb fox spring and a 300lb rockshox spring, and I believe that he said the fox was 3mm smaller, you could also see the difference. He said the fox spring wont work on the vivid though. Also, they said the diameter of the springs get bigger with a heavier spring. They are calling Iron Horse and RockShox for me, then he will give me some options, one possibly being just switching the vivid shock for a fox.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Thought this would be of interest to those with sundays;

My roommate has a sunday tune DHX 5.0 which has a dented main body from the prior owner running the shock backwards in the frame (true genius). If anyone wants to pick it up for spare parts for a dhx rebuild, or to convert a non-sunday tune DHX to a sunday-tune then he will let it go for cheap. The shaft, shim stack, resevoir, IFP, piston head etc are all good.

Make an offer, send me a PM.

Icy

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Hi guys,

Im new to the Sunday so I was wondering if anyone could be able to help me..I bought a Sunday Team 08' about two months ago but after a couple of rides I get this "cracking" sound whenever I put weight on the pedals. At first I thought that it was coming from the cranks and didn't pay too much attention too it since _everything_ was from crank bolts to upper/lower link bolts. But now im pretty sure that the cracking is not coming from the cranks rather the lowerlink, which I can't seem to get tight enough anymore. However I got the same cracking sound when it was tight ?

Is this a common issue on the Sunday and what should I do, change the bearings for the lower link ?

Thanks for any help, it's really annoying to ride when you know theres something not quite right..other than that I love the bike :)

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hi guys,

Im new to the Sunday so I was wondering if anyone could be able to help me..I bought a Sunday Team 08' about two months ago but after a couple of rides I get this "cracking" sound whenever I put weight on the pedals. At first I thought that it was coming from the cranks and didn't pay too much attention too it since _everything_ was from crank bolts to upper/lower link bolts. But now im pretty sure that the cracking is not coming from the cranks rather the lowerlink, which I can't seem to get tight enough anymore. However I got the same cracking sound when it was tight ?

Is this a common issue on the Sunday and what should I do, change the bearings for the lower link ?

Thanks for any help, it's really annoying to ride when you know theres something not quite right..other than that I love the bike :)
Pedals, bottom bracket, a loose pivot, they all could cause creaking. My money's on the bottom bracket cups needing a dab of grease but without seeing the bike I'm just guessing.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
This a Rock Shox 450lb spring, I just compared the RockShox 300lb to a Fox 700lb and the diameter of the spring dosent apear to increase, only the size of the coils increase, and there less space between the coils, which increases the chances of it hitting the frame. I'm not sure if this is consistent with RockShox springs though. I have to take the 450lb off to compare to the 300lb. I'm just going to take it down to my bike shop to see what they say. :banghead:
PM Todd...

I had the same issue in 06 and my frame was replaced. All mickey mouse now.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
can anyone give me the weight of the 2008 Sunday world cup and sunday factory respectively? I have looked through the thread and couldn't find it...i have seen it somewhere before but can't remember where, and now i'm conufsed as to whether or not the 2008 frame kits ended up being the same weight. Someone please enlighten me.

cheers, Will

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Tuning assistance please. I just picked up a 2008 Sunday Expert. I trust its setup for a 150lbs rider and I'm 190. The forks are Marzocchi 888RV and shock a Marzocchi Roco 9.5"x3" shock with a 300lbs spring. I changed the fork oil to 15 weight and it made little to no difference. The reason for the request comes from two main concerns. I feel the forks dive when rolling a drop and when I hit the face of a jump both the front and rear bottom out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Added info to the above. I found my forks only came with 125cc of oil. they require 220cc.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
can anyone give me the weight of the 2008 Sunday world cup and sunday factory respectively? I have looked through the thread and couldn't find it...i have seen it somewhere before but can't remember where, and now i'm conufsed as to whether or not the 2008 frame kits ended up being the same weight. Someone please enlighten me.

cheers, Will
For 2008 the World Cup (WC) and Factory frame kits use the 6069 tubing which is lighter than the 6061 tubing that the Team, Elite, and other models are made with – but I could be wrong. I’ve got Harry checking on this for me, and he should get back to me soon with a response. I.H. has changed up a few things in the production process from last year so I need to get confirmation on this.

Tuning assistance please. I just picked up a 2008 Sunday Expert. I trust its setup for a 150lbs rider and I'm 190. The forks are Marzocchi 888RV and shock a Marzocchi Roco 9.5"x3" shock with a 300lbs spring. I changed the fork oil to 15 weight and it made little to no difference. The reason for the request comes from two main concerns. I feel the forks dive when rolling a drop and when I hit the face of a jump both the front and rear bottom out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm… it sounds like you need to go to a stiffer spring rate in your fork and shock. Changing the damping fluid will help, but not as much as changing the spring rate. (I'm assuming you have added extra pre-load to the springs in the front to try and combat this situation)

If you have maxed out the pre-load and you are still bottoming out (the RV can't really be tuned to negate fork dive unless you get the LSC Sleeve - I believe Go-Ride still sells these and should be compatible with your fork) For your weight, I would go with the Firm Coil Tune Kit from Marz (Marz. P/N# 5141517/C). These new fork springs will suit your body weight better than the stock Medium springs.

For the Rocco, I would go with a 400 lbs. spring. Get a steel one (they are about $30).

Added info to the above. I found my forks only came with 125cc of oil. they require 220cc.
Really? Yeesh... Unfortunately that's a Marz. issue since I.H. gets the forks from them to put on the bikes. Whenever I buy a new fork or get a new bike, it's a good rule of thumb to always check the fluid levels in your suspension. Every once in a while no matter what the vendor (Marz. RockShox, etc.) a couple of forks will get through without the proper oil height. My apologies on behalf of I.H. for that issue.

Hope this helps!

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
cheers S.K.C, once again, you're the man.

now the question is, assuming the two frames are the same weight, do i go for the one with the dhx5 (factory) or the one with the Vivid (WC)?

I'm thinking full RS (I'm putting Boxxers up front).

Opinions?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
cheers S.K.C, once again, you're the man.

now the question is, assuming the two frames are the same weight, do i go for the one with the dhx5 (factory) or the one with the Vivid (WC)?

I'm thinking full RS (I'm putting Boxxers up front).

Opinions?
OK - Harry hasn't been able to get back to me yet - but let's not assume anything about the frames. I recall the guys telling me that there were some changes to the frame production so I'll give a buzz to HQ tomorrow to get a firm answer on that.

As far as suspension selection goes - the options sound like this:

Fox DHX 5.0 - a great shock and low maintanence. PUSH Industries currently has tuning options for it as well as rebuild services. Timmy over at TFTuned in the UK also has tuning and service options.
The Ride: Like most Fox running gear the travel is very smooth and linear, meaning that there isn't a lot of progressiveness to end travel (in other words the shock doesn't ramp up in resistance near end travel). ProPedal works very effectively on the Sunday although many riders don't even feel the need to use it because of the pedaling efficiency of the dw-link. You only need maybe 2 to 3 clicks max. The Bottom Out is usually adjusted to "full-on" at 100% (turned all the way in) and works pretty well, but the shock is still for the most part linear in feel. The shock tracks fairly well over small bump terrain and can be dialed to suit race needs by tweaking the rebound and Air Chamber pressure. Due to pressurization of the shock, service is only recommended by a bike shop with the proper experience and equipment. A Fox dealer is preferable.

Rock Shox Vivid: - a new shock on the market from the SRAM/RS partnership. PUSH will be offering the exclusive "Factory Race System" for it in the near future which is similar to the tuning system that was used on the Santa Cruz Syndicate team bikes back in 06'. This tuning should open up the Vivid to a multitude of different behavior characteristics which can be tailored to rider preferences.
The Ride: Again - I have no saddle time with this shock - yet... but from what I've heard it is very tuneable and can be dialed to suit track needs without much hassle. The feel can be adjusted from linear to progressive, but for the most part this shock is more progressive than the DHX 5.0. For more info on the Vivid try this thread:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195676&highlight=Vivid

Hope this helps!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

cheers, Will
Will

OK - there is no difference between the frame materials on a 2008 World Cup (WC) and a 2008 Factory frame. Both use the lightweight 6069 aluminum tubing. The only difference is that the WC is made in Taiwan and the Factory framekit is made in the USA.

As for the weights, I have no concrete figures yet - I'll try to get the guys to weigh a frame if they have an accurate digital scale in the offices.

For reference, the Team, Elite, and Expert use 6061 aluminum tubing in their frame structure.

Hope this helps.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
Cheers SKC. I actually called Josh at Go-Ride yesterday and he told me exactly that, just wanted to wait and see what the guys at IH would have told you...

Turns out i'll be getting a Factory frame in any case because it's the only one available in my size.

Will

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
*NOTE:

Hey everyone! -

Just wanted to let you know I'll be off the internets :) for the next 4 to 5 days while I'm at the U.S. Open. If Transcend is there I might be able to get on a few times to check up on everyone, but if you have any questions call 1 800 645 5477 OR email to: inquiries@ironhorsebikes.com

CarlE. is also away on vacation but should be back next week. Mike P. and M.J. are available to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

If you are heading out to the Open, look for me by the Monster Energy / Iron Horse trailer in the pits.

For everyone in the U.S. - have a happy and safe Memorial Day, and to everyone else - have a good weekend.

Cheers!
:cheers:
S.K.C.

FYI my 08 Sunday Team frame weighs in at just under 9lbs (without shock - as springs vary so much in weight I left it out).

This includes shock mounting hardware, headset reducers and headset bearings.

That bodes well for IH claimed weights here - http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/faq/2008/01/what-does-my-frame-weigh_2285.html - unlike weights provided by other manufacturers which have proven to be very optimistic.

It's been a great bike except for the absolutely appalling quality of the paint. It just chips off in lumps. The bike looks as old as my anodised 3 year old demo 9, after just 2 mths!

JT

Attachments

jbrookeiv

Chimp
Apr 8, 2008
I'm sure this has been answered, but I didn't feel like reading through 99 pages of posts. I just want to make sure I am ordering the right set. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html
I'm thinking these will work, correct? Again, I have the 2006 Team, just making sure the MAX-E bearings will work with my frame. Thanks.

May 16, 2008
yeah so any one that is looking to get a new vivid, dont bother. The vivid on my new sunday lasted all of three days before calling it quits (blew it up on flat ground bouncing up and down playing with begginning rebound) So no shops around know how to re build so the shock has been sent away and I am looking at a week without a shock on a brand new bike. Talk to my buddy at RS who says get rid of it if u dont want to be getting it re built all the time.

Gonna be going back to the Rocco this season. Did 97 days last year on a sunday, rocco equipped and never had to touch it

You would think RS would build a fork or shock that u didnt constantly have to change the seals.

Dirt 1st

Chimp
May 23, 2008
Australia
G'day,
I have been lurking around this thread for a while absorbing some of
the great information that is all things Sunday.
I currently own a 08 WC Iron horse Sunday that I ride in my local
family fun day series and after a spring change from the standard Rock Shock 300lb
spring to a 400lb genuine Rock Shock spring I am having the same issues that some other
WC owners are having, the spring rubs against the frame, just like the previous post :disgust:
I am currently in negotiations with Iron Horse to resolve this issue

Last edited:
May 16, 2008
Ha i love it. Not saying the guys that work at Iron Horse are **** because a few have them have been super nice to me but the company as a whole needs to get its **** together. Selling a shock that not only blows up after a few rides but offering it as a build when u cant even put a 400 spring on it. anyone 6 ft will probably be on a 350-400 and still be riding a medium. its not like an un-normal size spring for that bike. wondering how the company is going to go if they lose the dw design

Last edited: