Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I don't have enough time to read all the posts here, but what weight spring should I be looking to get for a vivid on a sunday when I weigh about 145 with gear? 300? 275?

And where do I get vivid springs from?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would say 275. I run a 350 on mine on a pushed DHX at ~190lb. You weigh approx .75 of me....275 is approx .75 of 350.

I any bike shop can get you Vivid springs through BTI (or possibly QBP), although it looks like they are only available in 50# increments ie 250, 300, 350.

If you want to go bling, Obtainium makes Ti springs developed around the Vivid.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Have a brand new 08 Factory and just wanted to know if the frame has to be faced/reamed (BB, headtube)?

Thanks!
It cannot hurt....but

My 07 world cup (US made) looked good but there was some paint on the bb shell face, so the shop ran a tap/facer on the BB for me.

As far as the heaset....good luck finding a shop with a 1.5 facer/reamer. They are very few and far between.

I just cleanded up the face of the headset (again some paint over what looked like a faced surface) with some very fine grit wet/dry paper on a flat block...then ran the paper around the bevel area to get any burrs

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I would say 275. I run a 350 on mine on a pushed DHX at ~190lb. You weigh approx .75 of me....275 is approx .75 of 350.

I any bike shop can get you Vivid springs through BTI (or possibly QBP), although it looks like they are only available in 50# increments ie 250, 300, 350.

If you want to go bling, Obtainium makes Ti springs developed around the Vivid.
I assume this is what I want?
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=20982&category=3108

It says it's a vivid spring but will also work with many other shocks. Isn't the vivid spring a different diameter than other shocks?

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
It cannot hurt....but

My 07 world cup (US made) looked good but there was some paint on the bb shell face, so the shop ran a tap/facer on the BB for me.

As far as the heaset....good luck finding a shop with a 1.5 facer/reamer. They are very few and far between.

I just cleanded up the face of the headset (again some paint over what looked like a faced surface) with some very fine grit wet/dry paper on a flat block...then ran the paper around the bevel area to get any burrs
Thanks for your fast response!

So I think I will ream/face the frame. As you said: cannot hurt!

As far as I know my lbs has a 1.5 facer/reamer, but I'm not quite sure!?
Maybe I have to check out the method you were using!
Did you have any problems with the headset/ reducer cups?

:cheers:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok so this is a longshot but I am going to take it anyway.

I am trying to find some touchup paints for my 06 Sam HIll Green frame. I was just wondering if anyone got a good match off the internet before I start gonig around to trying to paintmatch it on my own. Just doing some touch up so size of the bottles doen't matter.

Any responses or PM's would be huge helps.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thanks for your fast response!

So I think I will ream/face the frame. As you said: cannot hurt!

As far as I know my lbs has a 1.5 facer/reamer, but I'm not quite sure!?
Maybe I have to check out the method you were using!
Did you have any problems with the headset/ reducer cups?

:cheers:
Everything went together easy as cake. The headset takes a bit more time as you pressing cups into the frame, then bearings into the cups...and I do each part sepeately (ie one cup/bearing at a time) as it is easier to keep everything aligned.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ok so this is a longshot but I am going to take it anyway.

I am trying to find some touchup paints for my 06 Sam HIll Green frame. I was just wondering if anyone got a good match off the internet before I start gonig around to trying to paintmatch it on my own. Just doing some touch up so size of the bottles doen't matter.

Any responses or PM's would be huge helps.
PM skatodd. I am pretty sure he was the one to do all the colors then. The stock colors were all VW colors IIRC.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The Vivid springs are 1.5" ID same as Romic and Avalanche. Most others are either 1.37 or 1.43" ID.

Yes those should work, but as you can see, there is no 275..only 250 or 300...
Thanks for the help Dave. I think the 250 would be a better option as I think the vivid runs a bit lighter spring. Will the vivid fit fine on an 06 sunday? I am pretty sure it has the new link.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The vivid will hit the lower link. If you search around, someone (acadian maybe) modded the older link to fit by just a small bit of filing (your frame is out of warranty anyways).

Is this Vivid comming off of a sunday? They have a specific tune for the sunday (called tune 'A') that is not available aftermarket and based on your weight, it might not ride so well without that tune....

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The vivid will hit the lower link. If you search around, someone (acadian maybe) modded the older link to fit by just a small bit of filing (your frame is out of warranty anyways).

Is this Vivid comming off of a sunday? They have a specific tune for the sunday (called tune 'A') that is not available aftermarket and based on your weight, it might not ride so well without that tune....
I was going to order a vivid off the internet. Would it be in my best interest to just get the dhx 5.0 the frame will come with Pushed? The shock needs a rebuild.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I was going to order a vivid off the internet. Would it be in my best interest to just get the dhx 5.0 the frame will come with Pushed? The shock needs a rebuild.
IMO the Vivid (stock 'B' tune which is the only tune that is available) will be over-damped for the Sunday.

I have a pushed DHX on mine and it is pretty nice. THey were able to do all the things I wanted to have done/....sped up rebound, little less HSC, better bottom out control, great chassis control.

Of course. Push is supposed to work on the Vivid sometime in the future and I am sure they could make it work great, I am just not sure it would be that good stock.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Hi
Just bought 08 sunday factory frame...
It came disassembled. Should I put grease on all shafts that connects links and shock and locktite on the bolts? Is there any place where the grease shouldn't be? Any Suggestions?
Thnx

One other thing.... what's your general dhx settings. I can see that most of the guys are running bottomout +100%, Propedal max 2 clicks... air pressure?

Last edited:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
It came disassembled. Should I put grease on all shafts that connects links and shock and locktite on the bolts? Is there any place where the grease shouldn't be? Any Suggestions?
Thnx

One other thing.... what's your general dhx settings. I can see that most of the guys are running bottomout +100%, Propedal max 2 clicks... air pressure?
Yes, you should put a lighting coating of grease in between the bearings and the frame, the bearings themselves, the bolts, and putting a light strand of (non-permanent loc-tite is never a bad thing. Make sure to torque all bolts to torque spec. Don't over tigheten stuff as it will only give you problems later.

See page 1 on this thread for proper settings for DHX. Depending on your weight and riding style settings will be different. As a general rule you want to run a 30% sag, and then the rest is pretty much preference.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
What titanium spring you recommend that will replace steel one on my sunday 08 fox dhx 5.0 9.5"X3" 350?
Something proven and size that will fit the frame.
I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/tisprings.htm

You can see that there is normal version and race only version. I tried to email them to get them to explain the difference between two exept in weight but they didn't replied... :rant:
Maybe you know?

P.S. Because I live in Europe I don't have the opportunity to easely send the spring back if something is wrong or don't fit. So you must be 100% :clue: sure that it will fit the frame.
Thnx

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have the exact spring (non race version) from a different source and it fits perfectly. These springs were designed specifically for the DHX.

The race version has fewer coils (loops) or material. That is why it weighs less. Because it uses fewer coils, each coil will bend more, increasing stress levels and thus fatigue over time..

icon27

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
Longmont Colorado
Need any ideas to remove the pin from the rear lower link that holds the DW link to the rear triangle. Tried PB Blast, C clamps, Light pounding, Etc.... It will not budge. Hey Carl, would Randall Scott be able to remove it for me? They are located locally. any info would be appreciated.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Just one more thing. I've noticed that my spring is 3.25x300 (On spec. it says 300) If I put 3.00x300 titanium, would it fit?
Btw do you feel any difference in preformance, exept in weight?
thnx

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Just one more thing. I've noticed that my spring is 3.25x300 (On spec. it says 300) If I put 3.00x300 titanium, would it fit?
Btw do you feel any difference in preformance, exept in weight?
thnx
You will think that the ti will perform better than your steel one as soon as its on your bike but in reality there are no real performance differences.

But it is a lot lighter and looks bling bling.....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Need any ideas to remove the pin from the rear lower link that holds the DW link to the rear triangle. Tried PB Blast, C clamps, Light pounding, Etc.... It will not budge. Hey Carl, would Randall Scott be able to remove it for me? They are located locally. any info would be appreciated.

make a simple puller (you are 100% certain that you are attempting to remove in the correct direction??)...

Get a bolt of the same thread (6 X 1mm metric IIRC) with a large square head like a cap head or such and good thread engagement in the pin. Then find a few washers that (fender washers are what you are looknig for) are samll enough ID for the bolt, AND large enough to sit on the face of the large hex bold in the frame.

Stack the washers and thread the bolt in to the pin. Tighten the bolt to use as a puller. You can combine this pulling tension with some taps with a hammer and another bolt from the other side...

Vule, Fox labels springs different than every one else. A fox 3.25 = 3.00 from every one else....it will fit, they are the same. The only noticable difference will be the weight loss (w/o loss of durability).

Last edited:

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'd give RS a call and ask before bringing it down. If the standard back the bolt out and hit it with a rubber mallet didn't work then I would try davep's idea of a puller.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
I had that problem a few pages ago. I didn't succeed with that puller idea.
The idea was good but my pin did not move a bit! I went to a car garage that had a hydraulic press and had it pressed out. Try this.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
It is kind of funny/odd...they set the B/O all the way open (largest volume) on mine, and dont specifically say anything about the pro-pedal. The card of settings has a place for 'compression' and I would that they are refering to PP with that term...I think it says something like 3-5 clicks. Yours could certainly be different.

I specifically mentioned wanting to prevent chasis movement yet having min HSC to allow fast square bump absorption. I also ran my rebound all the way out (felt fine), but asked them to speed it up a bit so that I could find the 'too fast' point to know I was not missing something.

The thing that certainly struck me as odd is the max volume setting on the B/O. THe bike is very linear and I had always run min volume to create progression. They (PUSH) do say that they control bottoming with the B/O bumper more-so than the air volume, so that must be the deal.

I run a 350 spring and weigh about 185-190. Sag is spot on with a single turn of preload....
how much pressure do you run?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
how much pressure do you run?
I will have to go check the tune card from PUSH. They build the tune with a certain pressure in mind, so it is not designed to be adjustable like a stock DHX (although I am sure you could vary it a bit). Keep in mind that those pressures dont really corelate to a stock DHX as the shock is differnt internally and I do not know where the IFP is set any more....so boost volume could in reality be anything...

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Hi

Here's my problem.... Just bought sunday 08 factory
Got it from goride and they send it to me from US to Croatia Europe. Everything was fine, I've put all the parts on the frame and went for first easy ride. (no jumps or anything agressive) When I came home I've noticed that when I pull the bike gently up and down, there was play around 3-4 mm at the saddle. After inspection I found that play was between shock reducer and axle. Mostly on lower part of the shock. I removed all the parts and measured reducer and axle.
I will repeat that frame is brand new and I've checked that every bolt is tighten as recommended.

Measurement are:

Shock reducer hole

down ....... 10.00 mm
up ....... 10.00 mm

Axle width
down ....... 09.94 mm
up ....... 09.94 mm

You can see that difference is 0.06 mm upper axle and 0,06 mm down axle. That's 0,12 mm !!! (It should be max 0.015 mm). That's way too much and now you can see why I have that play on the back side of the bike. :bonk:

Now what can I do???

Where do I go for help? There is no IH dealer or service near me. Does somebody have the same problem??

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
Anyone having problem with the axle holding the backwheel? Cant get mine to close enough to hold the rear hub in place without play. Have meassured the space thats left when I close the axle and it is 149 millimeters and my hub is 149,5 millimeters.

Any ideas?
you might be missing a spacer on the hub (some hubs have one on each side)

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
I weight 185 lbs and when I rode the bike felt too soft with 300 spring (on dhx). I've ordered a new fox spring 400 referring to 1st page of this thread (170-180#lbs - 350-400#)...
Did I make a mistake, because I see that lots of riders here have softer spring for that weight... :brow:
I don't know the SAG with 400# spring because spring is still on the way...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Depends on how and what you ride. I weigh a little bit more than you and use a 350. On the stock shock I bottomed hard a couple of times and would have wanted to try a 375....

The shock is now pushed and the 350 is great with the tuning chainges.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
Hi

Here's my problem.... Just bought sunday 08 factory
Got it from goride and they send it to me from US to Croatia Europe. Everything was fine, I've put all the parts on the frame and went for first easy ride. (no jumps or anything agressive) When I came home I've noticed that when I pull the bike gently up and down, there was play around 3-4 mm at the saddle. After inspection I found that play was between shock reducer and axle.

You can see that difference is 0.06 mm upper axle and 0,06 mm down axle. That's 0,12 mm !!! (It should be max 0.015 mm). That's way too much and now you can see why I have that play on the back side of the bike. :bonk:

Now what can I do???

Where do I go for help? There is no IH dealer or service near me. Does somebody have the same problem??
another way is to take an empty coca cola can (papsi wont work!:)
and cut a piece of it and use it as a filling! cheapy work, wont last long, but instant!:))