I've used nylon when I had this problem
it stays good for a few days of riding.
just take out the axle of the shock out
put some nylon on it and push it back.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
I think the best way is to leave it as it is and put that black bearing grease and order a new ones. If you put can or something like that you can damage axle and shock reducer, if you put nylon there would be too much friction causing poor performance...
We made a blueprint of those 2 axles (pins) that goes thru shock reducers. So if you know a good turner or engineer you can do it your self...(but I doubt that you can - it's way to complicated :plthumbsdown:)

Here it is:

Cheers
:cheers:

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
sorry to interupt, but i was thinking about buying a sunday for next season, but am worried about support from IH, will they be carrying replacement parts for the sunday after this season?

thanks

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
yes, but there are new contact details in that thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, this is Mike with Ironhorse. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I will be on here as often as possible to try to help out with any questions or problems that you're having. I apologize, it may not be as often as Carl was, but needless to say we are shorthanded.
Carl's knowledge and willingness to help will be sorely missed by almost everyone at this company. I'm sure that there are good things ahead for him, and he will be an asset to any company that he is with. Personally, I wish him nothing but the best.
A few of you have been in contact with me already. For those of you who haven't, I can be reached the same way you got in touch with Carl or Mike (MJ) before him. ( 800-645-5477 , menu option 3). You can speak with either John or myself.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
First time poster, long time reader.

Been sent here from another member from an Australian based forum farkin.net as I am need of some help!

And really, the solution would have been using locktite, but I didn't, so now I pay the price.

I had the lower linkage / bearing (6903) cover fall out of my 05' Sunday while on the trail, and it's well and truly gone.

Any clues as to where I could get ahold of one? Anyone have a spare?

Thanks for any help!
Regards
-Mike
I'm super surprised your 05 linkage has lasted this long! Congrats on that.

Honestly, I'd recommend doing the 07 link upgrade. That is the most correct answer for many reasons. But anyway, I probably have a spare cover lying around somewhere. PM me.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
nice one.
by the way, i heard of some insane-wheight-reducer-guys drilling a hole into the front triangle, below the seat-tube, on those flat areas.. i wouldnt dare :)

dwlinkmayo

Chimp
Dec 29, 2008
hey guys

first time poster on ride monkey

and yes it was ben reid who drilled out his frame to save "weight"

i have a question regarding my 2006 ironhorse sunday factory

the bolt that holds the dw link at the front together (in front of the bb)

recently the bolt snapped in half by an incomptent mechanic and i was just wondering

if you could give me the specs of that bolt eg. width of the bolt as im going to get a bolt and nylok nut for it to hopefully give it a bit more strength

this would be greatly appreciated

cheers mayo

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Lots of information here, spent a few hours last night reading/skimming the whole thread.

My 08 Sunday WC should arrive Friday, the day before a race. Not ideal, but having a frame crack and getting no support from the manufacturer sucks. But that's what you get for buying a used bike.......

I'm coming off an 05 V10, and have a few questions about the Sunday. Although I am very excited to have a bike with a firmer rear suspension, the V10 always felt too soft in order to achieve 4" of sag.

After reading the thread, I went ahead and ordered a 350lb spring, going to make sure it is right before I go Ti.

But I am curious as to what amount of sag everyone is running. On my V10, Santa Cruz recommended 4" or 40% sag in order for the VPP to pedal "properly." Is there a sag recommendation from IH, or is the standard 30% sag good?

And any other tips for setup would be awesome, I wish I had time to tinker, but like I said my frame broke at the absolute worst time. At this point I will be happy if I am able to leave Saturday morning on time and be able to get enough practice runs in to learn the course before race day.

Thanks,
Brent

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
But I am curious as to what amount of sag everyone is running. On my V10, Santa Cruz recommended 4" or 40% sag in order for the VPP to pedal "properly." Is there a sag recommendation from IH, or is the standard 30% sag good?

Thanks,
Brent
If my memory is correct(without searching this thread) sag should be about 33%. I used to set my Sunday up a tad less about 30-31% cause that felt best to me considering I didn't do much racing with it.

tonyliu

Chimp
Jan 4, 2009
where can buy the Ironhorse sunday linkage kit or the lower link.
and is the lower link can be install to 05 sunday team?
if not,who have the drawing paper of the lower link?
please help me.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hi, could you guas tell me, which iscg standard fits the 08 sunday?
and how many iscgs there are?
Lg1 E13 would do?
thanks
From the first page of this thread:
Sunday Measurement Specs (ALL Model Years):
Seat Post Diameter: 30.0mm
B.B. Width: 83mm
Rear Hub Width: 150mm
Rear Axle Diameter: 12mm Proprietary Thru-Axle (comes with each frame)
Head Tube Length: 127mm
Chain Guide Mount: ISCG 05'
Chainline: 57.5mm

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Why is this happening? What can be done to rectify the situation?

I go to install the lower link and there is a big gap on each side of the link. Can a couple washers from a hardware store be used to solve the problem?

08 linkage on an 06 frame. They have both been used successfully together before.

*Picture taken with link as far to the left as possible*

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I go to install the lower link and there is a big gap on each side of the link. Can a couple washers from a hardware store be used to solve the problem?

08 linkage on an 06 frame. They have both been used successfully together before.

Did you put new bearings in at that pivot? If so were they Max-E type? The E has an extended race - basically a spacer that is built into the bearing. If not, you need the equivalent spacers or the E type bearings.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I have some new bearings from Mueller that appear to be the E-type. I thought they were the wrong bearings. I'll see if it will fit.

*And do I use the Max-E type bearing on the main frame at the lower linkage?

Last edited:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I did this conversion on my Sunday about a month ago. The bearings will stick out of the frame, but the fit will be perfect with the 08 link in. If that doesn't work I would contact the guys at IH.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Has anyone got any idea how to set up a vivid for a sunday?

I have just got one on A tune and dont know where to start.
It has a 300lb spring on it and tend to run my dhx on medium rebound going on slow.

thanks

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I have some new bearings from Mueller that appear to be the E-type. I thought they were the wrong bearings. I'll see if it will fit.

*And do I use the Max-E type bearing on the main frame at the lower linkage?
Both ends of that lower link use Max-E bearings. 6903 up front and 6902 at the rear.

I had a similar issue with my 08 frame, from recollection less than 1mm gap.

Looks like you resprayed your frame. Make sure there is no paint residue in the bearing seat in the frame/rear triangle. If there is scrape it out with a small screw driver.

Then press the bearings back in fully each side.

I use the e-type bearings from enduro (I have some spare ones out of the frame and can measure the length of the inner race if you want).

There will still be a small gap but this is taken up by the compression of the bolt. Once everything is snug, rotate the rear triangle relative to the lower link and see if there is free movement or if the bearings are catching. Don't have the rear triangle attached to the upper link when testing this. If the bearings seem grindy i.e. are catching, you may need to make up some custom shims. Not too easy.

Search in the forum, someone has done this.

Best of luck.

JT

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Got everything worked out! I taped off the inner side of the bearing seat before painting. Put the new bearings in and it works good. The link smoothly rotates. Now I just wait for my shock to come back before building it all up.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Next issue: I can't get one of the 23mm bolts to thread into the lower linkage on the main frame. I got one in, but the other I just can't seem to get started. It's not stripped. I shouldn't need the shock in place for it to thread should I?

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Any of you fellers have a good condition medium frame, but would really like a small? I dented the downtube on my medium...ordered a new one off ebay, clearly marked medium, and got sent a small. A swap would be ideal, instead of going thru the hassle of getting my funds back from this douche.

08 sunday/factory, small, ano black/green graphics

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
does anyone know the paint codes used in the 2007, or even better 2006 sunday factory frames in monster green?
thanks
(emailed IH with no helpful response "just ask monster")

ska todd couldnt help me as he no longer works for IH anymore, but surely he would still knows details about it?

can anyone help me out? :S

Last edited:

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Just got my 08 and have a couple questions. I rode it for the first time at the Fontana Winter Series race over the weekend and love the bike, hands down a more fun/faster bike than my 05 V10.

Any tips for getting the shock off? I weigh 180-185 with gear and the 300lb spring just feels too soft. I have a 350 I want to try before I purchase a Ti spring. I ran the 300 this weekend, but am running a ton of preload, would rather not continue doing so as I am worried about coil bind.

Do I need to take off the larger nut that holds the linkage on, or just remove the 4mm allen bolts? I am extremely worried that they will strip, I was cranking on the 4mm on the drive side pretty hard and it was not budging. I got the non-drive side 4mm out but the axle would not budge. If I can get them removed, first thing I am doing is finding some 5 or 6mm allen bolts to fit. 4mm is too small for something that needs to hold torque.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Leave the big aluminum nuts alone, they hold the rear triangle on...

All the info you need is clearly written (by DW) on the very first page of this thread. There is also an exploded drawing/diagram of the frame and all parts that is helpful as well...it is also on the IH web site as well under 'downloads'.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Read it, and downloaded the tech drawings. I'm not a complete n00b. I didn't think I had to touch the Al nuts, but M6 flat head appears to be seized. Not sure how I would ever get the shock out if the bolt stripped, and it is NOT budging.

Anyone else have some ideas/insight? I had 4 people looking at it over the weekend and nobody could get the bolt out, all said if it strips I'm screwed.