Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cold little loop i did just now. i like the roads up north, yes i do! the problem is that there aren't that many good roads that link to the northern roads.

clickable route: http://tinyurl.com/yb4gm6w

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
motorcycle rental: an intriguing idea, and local, too!

http://www.jupitersnyc.com/rentals.php

Rental Prices
BMW 650 GS — Weekdays $99 — Weekends $129
BMW 800 GS — Weekdays $129 — Weekends $159
BMW 1200 GS — Weekdays $159 — Weekends $179
Harley Davidson (Fat Bob or Soft tail) — Weekdays $159 — Weekends $179

hmmmmmmmmm

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
semi-breaking news:

jessica informs me that the MP3 isn't in its usual parking space. i'm 99.9% sure i parked it there after riding it yesterday afternoon...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it does suck to see that empty parking spot each time i walk by.

if the insurance company still will write a comprehensive motorcycle policy at our current street address after this incident (and this is a fairly big if) then i might try to angle for this as a replacement, in lightly used form:

(Wee-Strom for the uninitiated)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i already got kicked out of one and banned from their forum! it's not my fault if people get mad if i leave their group ride midway if it's horribly organized and led… from now on i think i'll try to stick to riding with 2 or 3 others, tops. big groups, especially on slow machines, are a huge pain in the ass.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if i'm insurable after this whole deal with the MP3 being stolen is resolved then i think i'll park the replacement bike on the grass in front of my apartment, locking it through the rear wheel to a 5" metal lamppole with a Kryptonite Fuhgetaboutit chain…

one thought that i did have today that i'd like to bounce off of people: if the insurance company will either not write a comprehensive motorcycle policy at this same address or will only write it at great expense (e.g., over, say, $1200/yr--i'm at $650/yr currently for reference) then i'm presented with a dilemma. my options:

1) buy a bike anyway, perhaps a cheaper one, and risk it with just liability. i don't like this option as i think there's a very non-negligible chance that this will happen again just due to where i live.

2) don't buy a bike until i'm an attending and have a house with a garage. i don't like this option since i like to ride, and, honestly, if i don't ride for a few years and jessica and i have a kid in the hazy future then she'll campaign mightily for me to not resume riding.

3) don't buy a bike but instead rent BMWs during the traditional "riding season" from Jupiter's. for an BMW F 650 GS their daily rate is $99 for a weekday, $129 if on a weekend, and they have a two day minimum. alternatively they have "locals" packages where for $2-2.5k you get 25 days throughout the riding season in blocks up to a week where you can take out any of their bikes, including the big F 1200 GS and the like.

this means i'd only be able to ride on weekends when i'm free on both days, and i'd have to pick up and return the bike from brooklyn, which would be quite the royal pain. it's also not cheap. finally, i don't think i'd go on many club rides with the scooter crew so as to maximize the expensive rented time on a big, fast bike, instead doing long loops in the catskills and the like.

on the other hand, if i elected to do this without buying a bike the money i'd save in purchase cost would go quite a ways towards the rental fees. it'd also solve the problem of parking a semi-portable, stealable hunk of metal in front of my apartment.

thoughts? thoughts? ideally the insurance company will simply continue to insure me for comprehensive coverage at a reasonable rate and then i can go out and get a Wee-Strom or something along that vein and lock it to a metal pole with a big honkin' chain, but i figure i need a contingency plan as well…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
with regard to chain choice, a poster on another forum alerted me to these videos, and perhaps the Kryptonite isn't the best choice after all!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Buy the bike you want now, life's too short.
I would be surprised if your insurance for an identical MP3 doubled because of the theft. I would expect a 'real' MC to cost more to insure (I assume the mp3 is cheaper than what you'd replace it with?)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i'd think a MP3 would be cheaper than most bikes since it's a 250 (although there are 400 and 500 flavors). on the other hand it's not cheap to repair with that fancypants suspension and wasn't cheap in outright terms either, so perhaps there's hope that a non-sportbike type regular motorcycle would be roughly comparable in cost to insure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd love to ride all of these some day:

PopMech: The World's 18 Strangest Roads

i already drove the Hana Highway in a Chevy Cavalier and a Lincoln Town car on two different occasions. even with that equipment it was quite entertaining. also did the Dalton Highway up to the Arctic Circle, and Lombard St, of course.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Of those I've already done 3! :D
Number 2 last year in September on a motorbike
Number 6 in a campervan years ago
Number 12 on a mountain bike back in 1995.

The Norwegian Bridge (number 5) looks awesome! :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Of those I've already done 3! :D
Number 2 last year in September on a motorbike
Number 6 in a campervan years ago
Number 12 on a mountain bike back in 1995.

The Norwegian Bridge (number 5) looks awesome! :thumb:
#1,2,6,16,17, done so far.
i am envious of you guys for Stelvio Pass! and, dave, #12 is the one that you have those old-looking photos of with you in teal and fuschia 90s-wear, right? heh. that must have been a trip and a half.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i looked up this info a few months back but lost track of the reference. posting it here for posterity.

AmatiN, Festini A, Macchi P, et al. ANALISI DI STABILITA’ DI VEICOLI INCLINABILI A TRE RUOTE: CONFRONTO CON MOTOVEICOLI CONVENZIONALI. Associazione Italiana per l’Analisi delle Sollecitazioni (AIAS)
XXXVI Convegno Nazionale – 4-8 Settembre 2007

The aim of the present work is to investigate the lateral stability of the three tilting wheels scooter. The results are intended to be compared to that of an equivalent two wheels vehicle circulating from several years.
A multibody modelling approach ([4], [11], [12], [13]) will be undertaken to take into account the main dynamic effects outlined in the recent literature on motorcycles ([8] - [14], [10], [21]). The literature on motorbike’s dynamic is considered the most appropriate reference being that on commuters very poor. Only analytical first approximation models are available to illustrate specific control properties ([16], [17], [22]). The most sophisticated model is based on approximations that neglect relevant effects (i.e. chassis compliance, dynamic behaviour of the tires, suspension’s kinematics) ([15]). A multi-body model will therefore be developed using a multipurpose environment. Commercially available tools are not appropriate for non standard three or four wheels tilting commuters. The derivation of the equations of motion starting from an energetic approach is almost impossible considering the complexity of the problem.
and here's the money paragraph:

Stability analysis
The analysis of the stability is investigated in the present section using the numerical models previously validated. To this end, the eigenvalue of each mode is computed in the speed range of interest (20-240 km/h) considering the vehicle at constant speed during straight running. The results are plotted in the root loci graph of Fig. 10. In the same graph are reported the root loci (circle marks) extrapolated by the experimental curves of Fig. 8 and 9. The good correlation between the numerical and experimental results is confirmed also by these graphs.
The comparison of the root loci evidences the following considerations:
• the weave mode of both the vehicles moves towards the threshold of instability with increasing velocities. The frequency of the three wheels vehicle remains quite constant while that of the two wheels one increases with the speed. Additionally, the weave mode of the two wheels scooter becomes unstable at a speed that is about 20 km/h lower that the three wheels one
• The wobble modes of the three wheels scooter results to be much damped and therefore far from becoming unstable. On the contrary, most of the roots related to the two wheels vehicle lies on the imaginary axis for a wide speed range
i'd be interested to see an extension of the above work for large-wheeled (ie, "regular") powered two-wheelers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
when the insurance company finally cuts me a check for my stolen MP3 i'm going to start looking for a new ride. there should be some deals out there in the used market from people who overextended their finances and now are seeking to downsize, and i'm not looking for new prices (or new-vehicle depreciation) in any case.

i won't be buying anything immediately as i'm going to make sure all ducks are in a row cash-flow wise before pulling the trigger (and we have some expensive purchases that we're planning to make in the near future including tickets to Tokyo for the both of us as well as building a new computer for me). i should be in the market by february, i estimate.

in the following posts i'll go over different possible ride choices.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #1:

2004-2009 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/V-Strom 650/2009/DL650.aspx

new MSRP is $7500 without or $8000 with ABS. used models go from $3500 on up and are relatively plentiful, albeit not at this time of year or necessarily close to NYC.

specs include 478 lb weight, ~65 hp from a 645cc FI V-twin, 6 speeds, and a 32.3" seat height with ~1" lowering available, and decent suspension travel. the riding position is upright, sort of like my MP3 but roomier, hard bags are available, and there are lots of windshield options. people take these things everywhere, from mild off-road trails to all-day spins on back roads.

pros:
- ABS is available, which would be good for both my and jessica's peace of mind, especially coming from a dual-front-wheel MP3
- available used for decent prices
- lots of windscreen and luggage options, and should be possible to get one that's already set up nicely
- adequate power, decent weight, and manageable seat height, especially with the low seat
- huge 5.8 gallon tank combined with 50+ mpg ==> tremendous touring range

cons:
- not the most exciting machine nor the fastest with "only" 65 hp
- jack of all trades, master of none
- lots of wind noise at helmet level with the stock windscreen setup
- too big and heavy for real off-road trails

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #2:

2008-2009 Kawasaki Versys.

http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/product-specifications.aspx?id=363

new MSRP is $7100 without ABS. europe gets a model with ABS but we don't, go figure. used models are apparently possible to find as evidenced by sergio but i don't imagine that i could find one for less than $5000.

specs include 454 lb weight, ~65 hp from a 649cc FI parallel twin, 6 speeds, and a 33.1" seat height, and decent suspension travel. the riding position is also upright, sort of like my MP3 but roomier, hard bags are available from Givi, and there are at least 3 windshield options. the bike has stacked up well with the V-Strom in comparison tests, with a bit more of a sporty edge as opposed to the V-Strom's pack-mule/long-days-in-the-saddle personality.

pros:
- lighter and more entertaining on the road than the V-Strom from what i've read
- looks kinda alien
- sergio has one
- 5 gallon tank will make for adequate cruising range

cons:
- no ABS available
- only 2008 and 2009 models to pick from ==> higher prices than an older V-Strom
- looks kinda alien
- sergio has one
- slightly less capacious 5.0 gallon tank vs. the V-Strom's 5.8
- needs a Givi screen for adequate wind protection at speed from what i've read

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #3:

2004-2006 (gen 1) or 2007-2009 (revised, better) Yamaha FZ6.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/273/home.aspx

new MSRP is $7300 without ABS. europe gets a model with ABS but we don't, go figure. i'm not sure about used availability, and the 2010 model is discontinued, for what that's worth.

specs include 459 lb weight, ~90 hp from a 600cc FI inline 4-banger, 6 speeds, and a 31.3" seat height, and decent suspension travel. the riding position is aggressive, halfway between a sportbike and a standard like the V-Strom. inline 4s have their power up high, for what that's worth.

pros:
- lots of power at the same price and weight with decent wind protection
- more aggressive riding position
- 5.1 gallon tank will make for adequate cruising range
- low seat height since it doesn't have the pretense of off-road worthiness

cons:
- lots of power is not necessarily a good thing
- no ABS available in the US
- slightly less capacious tank versus the V-Strom's 5.8
- less light-off-road abilities than the V-Strom or Versys
- peakier 4-cylinder engine vs. the twins on the previous two
- complaints about snatchy fuel injection and grabby clutch ( http://motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/7k/ )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
any other suggestions in a similar price range (e.g., no BMWs, Aprilias, Ducatis) and category? note that i don't want a true sportbike as i want to be a bit more upright and i also don't want a cruiser or even a standard without a fairing. i like wind protection.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
ktm 690 adv, or supermoto? (might be out of the price range), kawasaki klr 650 (more dirt road friendly, although its carb'ed, so may not be hippy-friendly, but they are reliable and easy to work on)...
the versys is a cool bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contenders #4/4.5:

2006-2009 (650R only) and 2009 (revised 650R, only year for ER-6n) Kawasaki ER-6n and Ninja 650R/ER-6f.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=430
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=429

new MSRP for the unfaired/faired twins is $6700 and $7100, respectively. the ER-6n was new for 2009, and the 650R was revised for 2009.

specs include 441/450 lb weight, ~65 hp from a 649cc parallel twin nigh-identical to the one in the Versys, 6 speeds, and a 29.7"/31.1" seat height. suspension and ground clearance is definitely road-oriented. the riding position is aggressive, halfway between a true sportbike and a standard like the V-Strom.

pros:
- lower seat height than the Versys
- slightly more aggressive riding position
- low-end torque/rideability as it's a twin, not a 4-cylinder

cons:
- small 4.1 gallon tank
- i'd look a bit like a squid on the 650R, and the ER-6n has basically no wind protection

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #5:

2009 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/Gladius/2009/SFV650.aspx

new MSRP is $6900. it wasn't available before 2009.

specs include 446 lb weight, ~70 hp from a 645cc V-Twin (an updated SV650 motor), 6 speeds, and a 30.9" seat height. suspension and ground clearance is definitely road-oriented. the riding position is moderately aggressive. the bike has somewhat of an undeserved reputation as a "chick bike" because of its purty colors and low seat height, but it's no more a chick bike than an SV650.

pros:
- slightly more aggressive riding position
- low-end torque/rideability as it's a twin, not a 4-cylinder
- purty colors

cons:
- small 3.8 gallon tank
- poor wind protection
- purty colors
- hard to find used as 2009 only?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #6:

2009 Yamaha FZ6R (distinct from the FZ6!).

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/619/home.aspx

new MSRP is $7500. it wasn't available before 2009.

specs include 467 lb weight, ~70 hp from a 600cc inline-4 (note the discrepancy with the ~90 hp FZ6), 6 speeds, and a 30.9" seat height. suspension and ground clearance is very much road-oriented, and there's a full fairing to boot. the riding position is moderately aggressive, not quite full race-rep but not "adventure" at all. the bike is supposed to be better in real life than a FZ6 but looks worse on paper, for what that's worth.

pros:
- full fairing
- semi-aggressive riding position

cons:
- full fairing
- no ABS
- smallish 4.6 gallon tank
- much less light-off-road abilities than the V-Strom or Versys
- hard to find used as 2009 only?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The black one isn't too chicky.
It also masks the monster-wanna be frame.
Black the rest of the trim out and it would look cool and be lo-profile when parked. Your clothing should take care of the visibility when riding.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i dunno, i think the teal complements my eyes… :D (semiserious: i wonder if anyone makes a high-viz bike)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
A friend of mine has the ER6N, she loves it, She is pretty small @ 51kg and 5ft7 but has no problems with the weight or size, has no problems with the wind (Wellington is an area known for its high strength winds) and has happily done multi day tours on it around NZ.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm planning on heading out to the New York Motorcycle Show next month, probably on Jan 22. ogling, taking photos of, and sitting on some real bikes outside of a showroom will be a good thing. there are WAY too many choices out there, even limiting oneself to the japanese marques.

that said, my mental top 3 are the Wee-Strom (turbulence), the FZ6 (peaky), and the Versys (ugly). :D nothing's perfect… and my MP3 certainly wasn't (SLOW), but, just as with health reform bills and the senate, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #7:

1998-2009 Honda VFR800 Interceptor.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/interceptor/specifications.aspx

new MSRP is $12000, but it hasn't changed substantially since 1998. ABS is available.

specs include 540 lb weight, ~107 hp from a 782cc V-4, 6 speeds, and a 31.7" seat height. suspension and ground clearance is very much road-oriented, and there's a full fairing to boot. the riding position is moderately aggressive, not quite full race-rep but not "adventure" at all. it's an old design but a good one.

pros:
- full fairing
- semi-aggressive riding position
- lots of power
- ABS available
- large 5.8 gallon tank, albeit without the V-Strom's fuel economy
- VTEC

cons:
- full fairing
- heavy
- VTEC
- basically no light-off-road abilities as compared to the V-Strom or Versys

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
contender #8:

2008-2009 Triumph Street Triple +/- R.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/streettriple/streetTripleFlash.asp?lang=en-US

new MSRP is $8700 (was $8000 upon its intro). the R version is a bit more and is new, so probably won't be available on the used market, realistically.

specs include 368 lb dry weight, 107 hp from a 675cc triple, 6 speeds, and a 31.5" seat height. the riding position is moderately aggressive, not quite full race-rep but not "adventure" at all. there's no wind protection to speak of.

pros:
- light, fast, good reviews, adjustable suspension on the R model
- low seat height

cons:
- hard to find, potentially not cheap yet
- no wind protection
- no ABS
- 4.6 gallon tank isn't huge

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a wacky choice that's fare too rare and weird to make it on the semi-official list of contenders:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-BMW-F-650-CS_W0QQitemZ230413387201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item35a5b545c1#ht_1106wt_1131

for those sans eBay access, it's a 2005 BMW F 650 CS. yes, CS, not GS. it was made until 2005, when it was replaced by the F 800 S (again, distinct from the ST and GS lineups).

it's notable for storage in the faux gas tank, like the Aprilia Mana, and wacky styling and colors. it has the thumper 650cc Rotax and 17" wheels shared with the rest of the pre-parallel twin 650 BMW lineup. this means it's kind of buzzy, not to mention slow: 50 hp claimed pushing around 415 lbs.

on the other hand, it does have a few redeeming features, such as ABS (huge in my mind), heated grips, and sane ergos. i'll be watching but definitely not bidding on this one on eBay. :D

also of note is this Versys for sale in CT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Kawasaki-Versyes-650_W0QQitemZ260525196252QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item3ca88303dc#ht_500wt_1146

it's listed at $4k with 4.5k miles and a Givi windscreen. a local club member just picked one up with new tires, crash bars, and a Givi topcase for $4k so i think $3.5k would be about right. i'll keep an eye on that one, too, and there will surely be more ones like it.