Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here's an interesting ride on sale out in Ithaca, NY:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11845395

1978 Suzuki GS1000C. Listed at $2k although he says he'd take a bit less.

For sale in Ithaca New York is a 1978 Suzuki GS1000C (wire wheels and single disk as opposed to the E) with 43k miles. This bike is in amazing original condition, it has been meticulously maintained by me and its previous owners. Don’t let the miles scare you, these engines are incredibly overbuilt with roller bearings, it doesn’t burn any oil. Small upgrades have been made for ease of maintenance and increased reliability: LockHart oil cooler, aftermarket stator, stainless steel hex bolts on the engine covers, engine guards, luggage rack and backrest. It is mechanically perfect, the chain, sprocket, battery, and tires have all been recently replaced. The bike also has a fresh clutch and clutch springs. I have many maintenance records for the bike, dating back to 1992. The ONLY blemish on the bike is a few dings on the gas tank, and some minor corrosion on the alloy bits. The paint is in magnificent shape, it has been waxed regularly. The seat has no tears; the foam and vinyl are supple. I could go on and on about the great condition, but I'll let the pics speak for themselves. Better yet, come have a look in person! Price is negotiable, but I’m in no hurry to sell.

I like the look of the old UJMs, and this one looks to be in fantastic condition for a 1978. Ithaca isn't close but if I had a whole free weekend such as I had this weekend and also at the end of this month…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another off the wall option:

2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120515866974&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1158

The buyer is asking $2600 for an example with 21k miles and a Corbin seat. 100 hp and 1200cc would likely make for a hefty insurance bill, but if I could pick an example up for close to $2k then the math would still work out ok.

So many options… although I should be able to try out local riders' rides in the next few weeks including a Versys, Wee-Strom, KLR, and even a DR-Z400S, I wish there was some sort of SoCal style dealer showcase event where one could go and test ride a dozen bikes in a day.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The Bandits are a really great bike, a fraction top heavy I find but handle beautifully and as I found out after the 10-11-12hr days I've been clocking up recently on mine they are pretty comfy for long distances.

BUT I can't help but be a bit worried about you going from the scooter to a 1000cc+ sports tourer, personally I feel you should set your sights a lil lower for the next step up and aim for something between 600 to 900cc at the very maximum. The power delivery and handling characteristics are nothing like what you were used to on the Piagio.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The problem is that the 500-800cc standard market has been long neglected. There are a few options out there now (ER-6n, Gladius, Versys, Wee-Strom, too, I guess) but most of the activity is elsewhere.

I want something that'll be comfortable for Jessica as a passenger without being a total pig, and don't want a cruiser or a sportbike due to handling, insurance, and seating position issues. That also cuts out a large number of bikes.

With the scooter I pretty much was WFO everywhere :D . I realize that with 4-5x more hp I'd have to exercise a bit of wrist restraint, yes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The insurance co. settlement check came today and was promptly deposited! It'll take a few days to clear no doubt, but I promised Jessica that I'd wait until after the motorcycle show (Jan 23 is when we're going) in any case.

Woot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Now that the insurance company has reimbursed me for the stolen bike I'm gearing up in preparation, and just placed an order for the following gear from Warm 'N Safe. I'm psyched! Warmth is in short supply for much of the riding season. This gear will ideally let Jessica's weather tolerance match mine when she's heated and I'm merely insulated, and should let me ride solo to my heart's content even as temperatures dip and the days get short. Anyway, the list:

- Battery pack!
- Small Generation 4 heated jacket liner for Jessica
- Medium "The Passenger" heated gloves for Jessica
- Large Generation 4 heated jacket liner for me
- XL Ultimate Touring heated gloves for me
- Dual Remote Heat-Troller

Explanation of these things for those not down with the lingo:

The battery pack is a wee beastie, only 7.4V and 5.2Ah of LiPoly. That's 38Wh for those counting along. However, those 38Wh will power the nominally 90W output jacket liner below at 30W for just over an hour or at proportionally lower outputs for longer periods of time. 30W should make a huge difference not only for my admittedly short walking commute but also for waiting for the LIRR, walking around in the city, and possibly even skiing.

Generation 4 refers to the model's place on the Warm 'N Safe product family tree. Gen 1 products aren't mentioned but apparently were some kind of primitive design. Gens 2 and 3 shared a functional but simple design with bulky high-resistance wires arrayed throughout the clothing and Lycra stretch panels in the sides to keep those hot wires close to the skin. They differed in outer layer material--windproof or not windproof. Gen 4 is somewhat ill-defined but uses something called "Soft heat," which is claimed to be "light and flexible, safe and efficient, [and have] no hot spots." I imagine it's some sort of carbon pad heating element.

"The Passenger" gloves have heating elements both in the dorsum of the glove but also in the palm. Riding gloves don't have heating elements in the palm because one would feel them when one's hands were on the grips. The passenger doesn't have to worry about that problem so can benefit from warmer hands. As Jessica has decided that she won't be riding on her own at least until I'm done with residency these will suit her just fine. The "Ultimate Touring" gloves, on the other hand, have no heating elements in the palm, a waterproof liner, and carbon reinforced knuckles as would befit a riding glove.

Finally, the Heat-Troller is basically a fancy pulse-width modulator. It differs from an off-the-shelf PWM in several respects. First, it's more expensive, har har. In truth it is a bit different: its duty cycles are much longer, which makes sense since heating elements take some finite amount of time to heat up and cool down. Second, it has the requisite connectors and weatherproofing. Finally, its control knobs (I hesitate to call them rheostats since they aren't--this isn't a simple adjustable resistor as it uses PWM and thus is much more efficient!) are mounted remotely. For example, the control circuitry could be mounted under the seat while the dual control knobs for glove and jacket heat could be mounted on the dashboard or front fairing.

Cliffs Notes: I'm going to hold off on buying a parka since the heated gear that I ordered might just keep my wife and I warm off and on the bike. (Or it could be a huge headache… but it's just electricity. How hard could it be?)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today's practice session video is up on Facebook but YouTube is taking its sweet time. Edit: finally done. Still better than Vimeo, with their 500 MB/week cap, I suppose.

Youtube:

Facebook HD video link:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=698845186481&ref=nf

Pieces from today: Kent Kennan Sonata 1st mvmt. Opening of Charlier's Etude #2. Plus bits of my warmup routine that I've pieced together from various teachers of mine over the years.

Photo-nerdery: I used the 135/2L today so as to not suffer from the IS motor grinding noise issue from yesterday: the IS motor never stops grinding away when the camera is on a tripod and it is audible! I also wanted to increase the distance between my bell and the internal mic on the camera body, although the audio sounds pretty much the same (probably clipped in various parts of the frequency rang) to me.

If I remember to I will look into whether a good, cheap external mic setup exists for my 5D Mk II, as that'd be a big step up for these purposes.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I pulled the trigger on getting an intercom setup tonight, too. I'm buying all sorts of things in anticipation of getting a bike! (We had talked about getting an intercom setup but pushed forward plans given how things transpired.)

The one I picked is the Midland BT2-D. Here's its Webbikeworld review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/2009-midland-bt2-d/

BT2-D: Complete wireless intercom system for both the rider and passenger. Both units connect up to three Bluetooth devices; cell phone, GPS or MP3 Player as well as the intercom feature.

Most importantly for me it supports stereo, full-duplex voice activated intercom functionality between the rider and passenger at distances up to 200m, and it has stereo A2DP Bluetooth streaming. This A2DP will let me have music, phone calls, and Navigon GPS prompts all streamed to my helmet from my iPhone! I'm psyched.

Oh, and here's another great part: the pair (rider + passenger) in the BT2-D setup retails for a cool $400, which is par for the course. (There are cheaper versions with less functionality as you can see on the comparison chart above.) However, Amazon.com had/has the BT2-D on sale for just a hair over $240! $120 per head to get the above functionality seems reasonable to me, as I'll be able to chat with Jessica throughout rides.

Amazon.com: Midland BT2D Bluetooth Intercom System for Motorcycle (Pair): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VjamneVeL.@@AMEPARAM@@41VjamneVeL

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here's a gorgeous looking bike that I'd never heard of, on sale on ADVrider for $4k, up in Maine. Probably not the most practical choice, being a Moto Guzzi from 1984 and all, but it looks so right.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536891

1984 Moto Guzzi 1000 SP NT.

1984 Moto Guzzi 1000 SP NT

A beautiful example of the last iteration of the SP prior to going to the SP II. Rides and handles very well in the Tonti framed Guzzi roadburner tradition.

Very good to excellent overall condition:

Original Red & White livery, 8.5 to 9 of 10 in the cosmetics dept.
Couple of nicks in the paint that have been touched up.
Taller light smoked screen
Corbin saddle.

Excellent mechanically:
Dual plug heads
Dyna III ignition and Dyna hot coils
Lightened flywheel
I replaced the rear main seal last year and while I was in there I installed the 4mm clutch and hub, springs, intermediate plate.

Stainless braided brake lines fore and aft, new pads.
Good Bridgestone BT-45's
Tele-Fix fork brace
New Odyssey AGM battery
All electrical components in good condition, everything works.

I am the third owner of this SP, it has been very well maintained.

60K-ish miles... I changed the silly 80 MPH speedo to the 140 instrument, the old one is included.

These photos shows the SP with the Conti replicas on it, I swapped them and the stockers are on it now... sounds most excellent too...

$4000.00

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I love moto guzzis..... But mate I wouldn't touch one of those old ones unless you actually like having to do your own repairs or getting regular large bills from the mechanics.

Reliable they are not.
That said they are a bike with soul, passion and they handle like nothing else! :)

*Edit* the electrics on them are usually fairly dodgy and are prone to backfiring in a way that blows the carbs off the motor...... Carbs are mounted via a sort of plastic/rubber mount that can't handle that force.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've come to the same conclusion. That might be a good bike 10 years from now when I have a house, garage, tools, and time. For now, when it would live parked outside and I want basically an appliance to ride when I'm free it's not the best choice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bought a car alarm for our Honda Fit a week or two back, and wanted to share its details since it's amazingly cheap:

Link: Amazon.com: XO Vision DX370 Universal Car Alarm System with Two 4-Button Remotes: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41slUQitbcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41slUQitbcL.

$29.99 including free super saver shipping, and that's for a system with keyless entry (if your car has power locks already), two remotes, and all the parts you need.

It's strange that installation costs much more than the parts (we paid $125 at a local joint). I didn't know if I was up to the task of installing it, and an alarm is something that I want to have faith in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A more practical choice, and pretty much local, too!

ADVrider: 2003 BMW F 650 GS ABS for sale in Flanders, NJ.

He's currently asking $4500. If it's still unsold at the end of the month I'd offer him $3k flat since KBB trade-in is $3300 and I've seen other bikes going in that range. If he laughs in my face then so be it, and he can keep his bike. If he doesn't then it could be a fun, if really ugly!, ride:

652cc thumper with 50 hp, 44 ft-lbs of torque. 425 lb listed weight, 30.7" seat height, 4.57 gallon tank. Oh, and heated grips + ABS brakes, both desirable goodies in my mind.

Jessica thinks it's hideous, but I could live with a face like that. Its single cylinder mill is less powerful than the twins in the Wee-Strom or the Versys but it has ABS in its favor (and you can switch it off when off-road!).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An off the wall choice from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Kawasaki-ZRX1200R-Beautiful-show-condition_W0QQitemZ230422464221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item35a63fc6dd#ht_500wt_1158

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R. On sale in Philly but he'd deliver within 150 miles for free, or for $3/mile beyond that (I'm right around 150 miles). He's asking $4750 but KBB trade-in value is only $2810 so I doubt it'll sell at that price. This is another one I'll put on the list for possible late-month lowballing.

Under 500 lbs. 112 hp (yikes). 5 speeds. Lots of torque. Standard bike ergos.

Downsides: more likely to kill myself on something like this. Higher insurance. Not a lot of wind protection.

Upsides: Looks cool. Lots of torque. Upright riding position.

Overall this is probably too much bike, and my insurance company probably ranks it up with the sportbikes, but I like its retro looks and standard layout.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
After the sale of my house went through I've been eyeing up a few bikes down here in NZ and dammit all the brands I like are imported by a distributor from hell "Triumph NZ". :(
MV Augusta (brutale)
Aprilla (shiver)
Moto Guzzi (griso)
All imported by them, If your wondering how bad this mob can be read this One year on, Aprilia SL750 Shiver report by a fellow wellington rider .:eek:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After the sale of my house went through I've been eyeing up a few bikes down here in NZ and dammit all the brands I like are imported by a distributor from hell "Triumph NZ". :(
MV Augusta (brutale)
Aprilla (shiver)
Moto Guzzi (griso)
All imported by them, If your wondering how bad this mob can be read this One year on, Aprilia SL750 Shiver report by a fellow wellington rider .:eek:
That's a bind. Local service is key!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is totally off the wall but thoughts on this?

[ad is expired]

1996 BMW R 1100 RS. listed at $3500, which is between the $3100/$4500ish KBB values. 76k miles, yikes. heated grips, ABS, hard luggage, shaft drive, sport-tourer ergos and that 1100 cc big twin...

[expired image link removed]
Blast from the past: I posted the above on Christmas Eve. I had been emailing back and forth with the seller about getting the bike checked out at BMW of Manhattan sometime late in January, to coincide both with my schedule (no bike until after the motorcycle show, 1 week from today) and his (moving back to Europe in February).

I had assumed he had lost interest as I heard from him last about a week ago but he replied today, saying that he's going to call on Monday to book the service/checkup appointment.

:thumb:

If this one checks out--I'll pay for the exam, of course--then I'd probably offer him $3k, as he has more incentive to sell than I have incentive to buy. This could work, and a big, lazy boxer twin 1100 is a different (less asshattery-tempting) beast than a screaming 1000cc inline 4.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No pics, but I actually rode a mountain bike off-road today! I know, shocking. I've probably only been a dozen times in the last 6 years, if that. I borrowed a bike from one of the motorcycle-riding scooter-club members (try to keep up :D ), and we tooled around on trails in a local state park on fine mid-range 1995-era hardware. Heh. Even with the off-sized equipment it was a good time, and my bike handling was still ok on the roots and logs… and frozen mud ruts. Ah, the joys of the east coast in winter.

That said, I don't think I'll be riding that much as I simply don't have room for a bike around here. Perhaps later in the summer if we are upgraded to a two-bedroom apartment…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If this [1996 BMW R 1100 RS ABS] checks out--I'll pay for the exam, of course--then I'd probably offer him $3k, as he has more incentive to sell than I have incentive to buy. This could work, and a big, lazy boxer twin 1100 is a different (less asshattery-tempting) beast than a screaming 1000cc inline 4.
In addition to my not-so-nefarious plans for the above I emailed several people who had unsuccessfully listed their bikes on eBay, offering them right around the KBB trade-in value:

1. 2008 Kawasaki Versys with 4k miles and just a windscreen. Offered him $3300 (listed for $4000).
2. 2000 Kawasaki Bandit 1200S with a Corbin seat, no ABS. Offered him $1800 (listed for $2600).
3. 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R with a few cosmetic baubles. Offered him $2700 (listed for $4800 [!]).

We'll see if any of this "legwork" pans out, or if I get buyers laughing in my electronic face, as it were. I think that my strategy is a fair one given the state of the economy and the fact that these are toys, basically any way in which you look at it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You could get a ZRX for cheap...my dad just picked up a 1200 in great shape (but high mileage of 60k) for $1900. Surprisingly easy to ride, with lots of power when you want it. It's a big bike though, there's no doubt. Does 100+ without issues with the stock screen. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Whoa, that's a deal and a half. SB = Cali? I think there are probably more for sale out West than here. The one I emailed about has 10k miles fwiw.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yep, southern California. 10k isn't bad at all, those bikes are hugely under-stressed and go forever. Have you checked out this site? http://www.zrxoa.org/

I think that you're looking in the right direction, a dual sport would probably feel too slow and tall for you, and they really don't handle well in the dirt unless it's fire roads. I rode a KLR the other day, and while it's a good bike, it doesn't seem like it would work well two-up and it's nowhere near as quick at a 1000cc+ street bike.

Have you looked at stuff a bit older like the GS you posted earlier? I'm partial to Kawasaki bikes, and I think an old KZ650 or something similar might be a good bike for you - easy to work on, lots of parts available, fast but not ridiculous like a ZRX, and cheap. The Honda CB750 might be a good option but they've gotten too expensive in my opinion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I go with a Japanese bike I want to stick to the fuel-injection era, with the ZRX getting a pass because it looks awesome. :D If I go BMW then I'd like to stick to the oilhead-on-up era (1994+), as I don't want a restored concours replica, don't want pre-Paralever shaft jack, and don't have any particular fondness for old bikes in general.

Honda is a weird case. From what I've read the 1982-1990 Nighthawks were nice machines, but the 1991-200whenever they stopped the 750 model ones were a simpler, worse, cheaper design. The old ones are too old and the new ones just don't push my buttons.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I simply don't have room for a bike around here. Perhaps later in the summer if we are upgraded to a two-bedroom apartment…
In an example of how fickle I am, that ride piqued my interest. If housing/storage circumstances work out later then I may well pick up a bike to tool around on. Thad lives 45 minutes from me down the island, after all, and he's still riding.

:thumb:

Of course, I now have no bikes left in my empty stable, and I've spent so many years ignoring the bike scene that I don't recognize the names of half the components out there. I posted a thread in the 29er forum to help me get up to speed and come up with gear recommendations:

Cheap 29er for a short dude / Rip Van Winkle reemerges and surveys the bike scene

Here's the scoop:

I've been checked out from the bike scene for many years. I don't know half the names of the component lines these days (SLX? WTF? there wasn't any such thing back in the day). I don't have any bikes at this point, in fact. Also keep in mind that I'm short: 173 cm / 5' 8" with a ~30" inseam and a slightly longer reach/wingspan, for what that's worth.

This bike would be for general trail riding. Long Island doesn't have much other than dinky little trails, from what I've seen, and my days of jumping off of stuff are probably over, what with being more "responsible" now that I'm a married professional not to mention a somewhat bum shoulder. If I make it back out west in a few years then I'd pick up something beefier but for now a simple hardtail would do.

On that topic, my riding history includes all disciplines, basically, and I've bounced through more than my share of bikes over the years. I'm not a gear snob, however, and want to get something cheap, as in $1000 if possible.

I'm posting this thread in the 29er forum since 29" wheels are one of the things that I can see have visibly changed in the landscape since I last was into the scene. If I constrain myself to 29" wheels (bad idea given my height? I do like the concept…) then what other things should I be looking out for?

- 29er in general? Yea/nay?
- Integrated headset? Makes a difference or showpiece?
- External bearing bottom bracket? Any impact on real life usage?
- 7" disc up front is the way to go, no?
- UST/tubeless? Good/bad/not necessary/critical?

Once again I want to do this on the cheap, circa $1000, so no suggesting high-zoot rigs. I've had my Chris King and XTR caviar and don't need anything of the sort. What bikes might the RM audience suggest given the above?

One that caught my eye at first glance is the 2010 Kona Kahuna, which is a $999 29er that should fit me in 16" (likely) or 18" (unlikely) guise, has an 80mm RockShox Dart 3 (of which I know zilch), has Deore/SLX parts, 7"/6" hydro Shimano discs, and has the integrated headset/external bearing BB buzzwords covered.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In addition to my not-so-nefarious plans for the above I emailed several people who had unsuccessfully listed their bikes on eBay, offering them right around the KBB trade-in value:

1. 2008 Kawasaki Versys with 4k miles and just a windscreen. Offered him $3300 (listed for $4000).
2. 2000 Kawasaki Bandit 1200S with a Corbin seat, no ABS. Offered him $1800 (listed for $2600).
3. 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R with a few cosmetic baubles. Offered him $2700 (listed for $4800 [!]).

We'll see if any of this "legwork" pans out, or if I get buyers laughing in my electronic face, as it were. I think that my strategy is a fair one given the state of the economy and the fact that these are toys, basically any way in which you look at it.
Some responses have come in to my offers:

1. Versys seller said he'd deal for $3600. Again, my local riding buddy bought a very similar 2008 that had a stock windscreen (-$125) but had crash bars (+$250) and a topcase (+$400) for $4000, so this is a good but not a screaming deal. I told him I'd wait and see how other deals worked out.

2. No response from Bandit-man, which is ok since this is the heaviest and least desirable in my mind of the bikes anyway, besides being 150 miles away in Pennsylvania.

3. The very optimistic ZRX seller wasn't interested in my offer, and will apparently hold out in trying to get 2x blue book value for his bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just placed an order for the following gear from Warm 'N Safe:

- Battery pack!
- Small Generation 4 heated jacket liner for Jessica
- Medium "The Passenger" heated gloves for Jessica
- Large Generation 4 heated jacket liner for me
- XL Ultimate Touring heated gloves for me
- Dual Remote Heat-Troller
The heated gear arrived today. The battery pack for off-bike use is tiny! It's about 4 x 3.5 x 1", weighs half a pound, and has an LED on the top to indicate power output or charging status. It looks pretty slick, actually.

The remote dual controller (for on-bike use via 12V from the alternator, with the "dual" being gloves + jacket separate settings) also looks well made. The part with the controller knobs is basic but the knob hardware looks solid. The power unit, as it were, that hooks up to the battery harness and the power leads on the jacket/glove and does the dirty work of PWM is completely enclosed and rubberized. All in all a nice piece of hardware, this.

The jacket liners still have palpable heating element wires throughout them, which is kind of annoying, but if that's the price to pay for reliable gear (as compared to, say, a Tourmaster Synergy, which has many reported problems) then I'm game. The gloves fit well as sized, which matches our tape measure measurements of knuckle circumference and the like.

Right now the battery is charging--70% per its LED--and afterwards I will walk around the apartment like a goon with heated hands and upper body in order to verify that everything gets hot as it is supposed to.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The heated gear arrived today. The battery pack for off-bike use is tiny! It's about 4 x 3.5 x 1", weighs half a pound, and has an LED on the top to indicate power output or charging status. It looks pretty slick, actually.
The battery pack is tiny, and also apparently broken. Warm 'N Safe is going to replace it once I send this one back tomorrow. In the meantime I made a video that shows how small it is, the nice ergonomics, and also that none of the functionality besides its charging light works at the moment. Whoops.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thoughts from the peanut gallery on this bike? It's located in Pennsylvania within 200 miles of me and has no reserve on an auction that ends in ~40 hours. Current bid is $1551. KBB trade-in value is $1900. http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/1985/bmw/k100rs/65066 . Is it worth a bid of $1900?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-BMW-K100-RS-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ170432483616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item27ae915120#ht_711wt_753

1985 BMW K 100 RS. Comes with luggage, backrest, Corbin seat.

You are viewing a fair condition 1985 K100RS. We are a dealer and we have a clear Pennsylvania title. This bike is a local trade in from a long-time customer.

This bike runs fine but could benefit from a service/tune up.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
If you got for $1,900 that would be a total bargain.... Def worth a bid, nice looking bike. :)
Are they a BMW dealer? If so maybe see if you can get the cost of servicing built into the purchase price?

And again that sort of mileage isn't a problem for BMW, 440k is only just run in, good long distance mile eater for two up riding.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would see what they mean by 'tune up'. If pretty much everything (brakes, transmission, etc.) needs a major service that could add up! I would see if you could get it serviced by them prior to purchase - kind of odd they aren't already offering it that way?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would see what they mean by 'tune up'. If pretty much everything (brakes, transmission, etc.) needs a major service that could add up! I would see if you could get it serviced by them prior to purchase - kind of odd they aren't already offering it that way?
Good point. I will inquire further. I think they're not offering it that way since they probably paid very little on the trade and feel that they can maximize whatever scant profit this way by not "bundling" the tuneup, as it were.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227927

Toshi, I noticed you had a status the other day of uploading docs to the cloud. Whatcha think about Android vs. your beloved iPhone since Android seems to be extremely well integrated to Google services while Apple rejects Google service apps left and right?

I am struggling with this myself, which is why I ask. I am deeply ingrained in Google services and frankly only use Apple applications like iTunes because I have to for my phone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I honestly don't access my documents that often from the phone, as I always have a "real" computer nearby at the hospital when I need something. I rely on MobileMe/Mac.com (not free but nice) for my over the air calendar and contact syncing, and the MobileMe iDisk app offers access to any file via a nice native iPhone interface... but again I don't really use it.

Back to motorcycle news, a local seller accepted my offer for a 2008 Versys... hammering out logistics but I should have a bike by early next week and finally the incessant searching can end!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Update on the bicycle (as opposed to motorcycle) hunt:

I'm the high bidder with 4 hours and change left on a 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er. 15" frame so it should definitely fit me if not be an inch small. My max bid is $420 and it's at $405 + $80 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150405801824&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_760wt_917

I realize that it's even more of a crap bike than that Kona above, but it'd do the job. If I get outbid then I'm going to look into building something up on the cheap, and if I can't stick to ~$1000 and beat the Kona's specs then I'll order a Kahuna 29er sooner or later.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I realize that it's even more of a crap bike than that Kona above, but it'd do the job. If I get outbid then I'm going to look into building something up on the cheap, and if I can't stick to ~$1000 and beat the Kona's specs then I'll order a Kahuna 29er sooner or later.
I didn't win the auction, and my quick and dirty spec list shows that I can't compete with Kona's OEM pricing, even electing for used parts here and there. Looks like steel stanchions will be in my future, which might be good given my cracked Z2 BAM stanchions from back in the day…

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I honestly don't access my documents that often from the phone, as I always have a "real" computer nearby at the hospital when I need something. I rely on MobileMe/Mac.com (not free but nice) for my over the air calendar and contact syncing, and the MobileMe iDisk app offers access to any file via a nice native iPhone interface... but again I don't really use it.

Back to motorcycle news, a local seller accepted my offer for a 2008 Versys... hammering out logistics but I should have a bike by early next week and finally the incessant searching can end!
i envy you so much... the bikes you listed are dirt cheap...
a new versys is over $9500 here (and has to be special order), the f800gs runs $21k, the 900adv close to $20k......

are those 2nd hand versys for under $4k widely available, say near port cities like miami or la?, at the prices you mention it could be worth the headache to import one.....