Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
also of note is this Versys for sale in CT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Kawasaki-Versyes-650_W0QQitemZ260525196252QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item3ca88303dc#ht_500wt_1146

it's listed at $4k with 4.5k miles and a Givi windscreen. a local club member just picked one up with new tires, crash bars, and a Givi topcase for $4k so i think $3.5k would be about right. i'll keep an eye on that one, too, and there will surely be more ones like it.
the more i read the more i come to think that my riding buddy got it right, and the Versys is the one to get. pop the low seat (50mm/2" lower) on it and i'd be good to go. inverted forks, lighter weight, still has a 5 gallon tank, has windshield options... i think i could live with that. i figure that i will spend 95%+ of the time on the road and will rarely take a trip longer than 2 days so i don't need a bike that can be laden like the proverbial pack mule.

just a few of the windshield options:

Givi D405ST sounds good from this review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-versys/windscreen/

Calsci also has them in a whole range of heights: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

here's stock for comparison:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
after 21 days elapses then the adjuster will start working on the true value.
and that 21 days (from the theft of the scooter) elapsed on sunday. the claim was sent to the total loss department on friday (at 19 days) and as of 2:40 PM the total loss department in turn sent out a request for market valuation of my scooter in the nyc metro area to a 3rd party company.

this is reflective of the rarity of the MP3, as they didn't have a value that they could simply look up and be returned automatically. instead a human at this unnamed 3rd party company will have to look into it.

slowly the process continues...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a few shots from a very dark bar last night (happy hour courtesy of the department). ISO 6400, f/2.0 yet only about 1/60-1/125 after all that! furthermore most were pushed +0.5 to +1.0 in postprocessing.

http://tinyurl.com/y9x4qx2

one of my fellow residents, a bit blitzed:

another resident:

the chairman. note bokeh:

the noise is actually worse in the small versions posted than on screen in Lightroom in large form due to the inelegant resizing and sharpening algorithm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This one is really tempting. Just need to wait for the insurance company!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531968

$4200.

2008 Versys. 23k miles but look at the list of "farkles" on it:

Corbin seat w/ removable passenger backrest
Givi PLX brackets & bags (custom color-match painted to match bike)
Givi windscreen
Hepco-Becker crash bars
MFW adjustable footpegs (lowers the pegs and a variety of positions)
Stebel air horn
Rox Riser handlebar extension (allows wide range of adjustment to bar position)
Acerbis MultiConcept Touring handguards w/ Tusk brackets
Autoswitch for garage door opener integration
Speedy lowering kit (removeable if you don't like it)
Speedy flat foot for kickstand
Custom made radiator guard (laser cut from thick black ABS plastic)
Fuse block under seat
SAE pig tail routed under tank for tank bag plugin (switched power)
Marine-grade covered power port installed in dash for GPS power (always on)
VistaCruise throttle lock
No-name footpegs installed on crash bars for extending legs on long trips (custom powdercoated black to match bars)
Mirror extenders
ProGrip 714 dual sport grips
RAM mount for SPOT personal locator (removeable if you don't want it, but available with the SPOT if helps make the deal)
Modified under seat to provide additional storage for small, infrequently used items (i.e., tire patch kit, etc.)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
That looks like a very well cared for and loved bike..... It's a bargain mate!
Seat looks uber comfy for longer trips. :)

Just remember with all the electrical plugs that the bike only has a small battery and no kick start, it's very easy to forget to turn stuff off and flatten the battery. ;)
Might pay to make sure they have wired all that stuff in after the ignition switch so that when the keys off all those circuits go dead, few mates have had heated grips wired in in the wrong spot and not turned the things off resulting in a dead battery and a push start (use 2nd gear not 1st to do this BTW). :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have the royal go-ahead from the wife to make a weekend trip and pick that bike up if it's not sold by the time the insurance check (of an amount still yet to be determined) clears

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
depends on by which metric: my (former) scooter outweighs the Versys!

realistically i don't foresee the check at an agreed-upon amount being both forthcoming and clearing banks and such within, say, 1.5 weeks, but i also don't think many people are in the market at this very instant, let alone in his corner (er, "center"? he's in oneonta) of ny state.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, that Oneonta one just sold. too good of a deal to last and i wasn't in a position to spring for it immediately. just as well given how much of a pain in the ass it would have been to go out and get it (all day on the bus probably, a hotel, then riding it back the next day).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is totally off the wall but thoughts on this?

[ad is expired]

1996 BMW R 1100 RS. listed at $3500, which is between the $3100/$4500ish KBB values. 76k miles, yikes. heated grips, ABS, hard luggage, shaft drive, sport-tourer ergos and that 1100 cc big twin...

[expired image link removed]

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I wouldn't be all that concerned about that mileage..... **** those things are only just run in at 100,000Km!! :shocked:

They are brilliant bikes, very reliable and super comfy mile eaters for long trips.
Can be pricey for spares but the BMW dealers give amazing quality service. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
insurance company finally got back to me on valuation. apparently since it's between 6 mo and 1 yr old the formula they use is roughly original value - 10% + original sales tax - deductible. in my case the original value was $7200 and my deductible $1000.

their actual offer is $6300, a bit higher than the ~$6050 that that formula would anticipate.

i think this is fair. thoughts?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
insurance company .......
i think this is fair. thoughts?
Having just gone through this for my wife's totaled car, I'd take that offer.
Once you accept it the $ will be in your hand within days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
several more thought experiment bikes in my eBay watchlist that i won't be bidding on, as i don't intend to buy anything until at least after the NY Motorcycle Show on Jan 23.

1) the Kawasaki Versys is indeed available for ~$4k with low miles +/- a few farkles. here's one that's local that apparently hasn't hooked a buyer amidst our recent snowstorm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260525196252&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1146

my gawd that "Cylon" headlight is ugly tho…

furthermore here's a new one that didn't sell with an asking price of $5600. that's got to hurt resale values!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290381866830&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5025wt_1131

2) for some reason i am quite fond of the BMW R bikes, even though the K bikes don't really appeal to me. this is almost entirely based on irrational prejudice and looks since i clearly haven't ridden either. however, it might not be a bad thing as there seem to be more than a few of them around NY that are making their way onto eBay. in the context of these auctions that $3500-asking-price 1996 R 1200 RS that i posted about above doesn't look like such a deal after all!

here's a nice looking 1999 BMW R 1100 S. ABS, shaft drive, 98 hp from that boxer, heated grips, panniers, a Corbin seat, and 43k miles on the odometer. current bid is $2700 with no reserve. it's in Philly, which is within 150 miles of me if not that close in terms of hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120509967990&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1146

i quite like the look of the half-fairing + the boxer, and the pillion seat looks adequate if not stellar. contrast the half-fairing to the much more bulky and unattractive full fairing on this 2002 BMW R 1150 RT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120509935363&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_731wt_1131

the above bike currently has a bid of $3650 with no reserve although it surely will go for over $4.5k when all is said and done. it's being sold by the same guy selling the yellow bike above. it has much more visual not to mention physical bulk, and the full fairing + boxer heads isn't a good look at all. that said, jessica saw the top case with backrest + that big touring seat and was interested before decrying how big the bike looks. have i mentioned that it's a big machine? heh.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I haven't taken the time to go through every post in here, but from what I gather you were on a Piaggio MP3? If that's your only riding experience, I would suggest steering clear of the big BMW's and the like and looking for something in the 600 range at the most. I got my first bike this year, an SV650, and would definitely suggest something along those lines.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I haven't taken the time to go through every post in here, but from what I gather you were on a Piaggio MP3? If that's your only riding experience, I would suggest steering clear of the big BMW's and the like and looking for something in the 600 range at the most. I got my first bike this year, an SV650, and would definitely suggest something along those lines.
that MP3 weighed 450 lbs and had a 30.9" seat height. i don't see how stepping up to a 525 lb (dry) bike with a 31" seat height would kill me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going back to an earlier theme, of whether post-stolen-MP3 insurance would be exorbitant:

2008 Kawasaki Versys. Dairyland Insurance: $569/yr (theft/comprehensive coverage, $500 deductible)
1996 BMW R 1100 RS. Progressive Insurance: $301/yr (theft/comprehensive coverage, $500 deductible)

not horrible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for some reason i am quite fond of the BMW R bikes, even though the K bikes don't really appeal to me. this is almost entirely based on irrational prejudice and looks since i clearly haven't ridden either. however, it might not be a bad thing as there seem to be more than a few of them around NY that are making their way onto eBay. in the context of these auctions that $3500-asking-price 1996 R 1200 RS that i posted about above doesn't look like such a deal after all!

here's a nice looking 1999 BMW R 1100 S. ABS, shaft drive, 98 hp from that boxer, heated grips, panniers, a Corbin seat, and 43k miles on the odometer. current bid is $2700 with no reserve. it's in Philly, which is within 150 miles of me if not that close in terms of hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120509967990&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1146

i quite like the look of the half-fairing + the boxer, and the pillion seat looks adequate if not stellar.
the above bike closed for $3600 on eBay just now. the KBB trade-in value is $4160, which just demonstrates that the market is indeed very, very weak!

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
that MP3 weighed 450 lbs and had a 30.9" seat height. i don't see how stepping up to a 525 lb (dry) bike with a 31" seat height would kill me.
BIG difference in terms of stability of those bikes with the 2 vs 3 wheels.

Don't get me wrong, you should buy what you want. And you'll probably be fine. But nobody that knows what they're talking about is going to recommend an R1100S as a first bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BIG difference in terms of stability of those bikes with the 2 vs 3 wheels.

Don't get me wrong, you should buy what you want. And you'll probably be fine. But nobody that knows what they're talking about is going to recommend an R1100S as a first bike.
have you ridden an MP3? apart from the tilt-lock, better braking traction, and the extra weight they ride very similar to a comparable two-wheeler. there's theoretical evidence that they have better wobble stability than a two-wheel scooter (see post 4019 in this very thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3358971&postcount=4019 ) but i haven't seen anything to suggest that they are more stable than a conventional, i.e. large wheeled, motorcycle.

the 250 model has 12" wheels all around (later 250s as well as the 400/500 have 12" up front x 2 and a 14" in the rear). basically all motorcycles under consideration have 17", 18", or 19" wheels. from a strictly gyroscopic stability point of view i don't think your assertion rings true, and it's certainly not that the front suspension is holding the bike upright. it's not a trike!

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
have you ridden an MP3? apart from the tilt-lock, better braking traction, and the extra weight they ride very similar to a comparable two-wheeler. there's theoretical evidence that they have better wobble stability than a two-wheel scooter (see post 4019 in this very thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3358971&postcount=4019 ) but i haven't seen anything to suggest that they are more stable than a conventional, i.e. large wheeled, motorcycle.

the 250 model has 12" wheels all around (later 250s as well as the 400/500 have 12" up front x 2 and a 14" in the rear). basically all motorcycles under consideration have 17", 18", or 19" wheels. from a strictly gyroscopic stability point of view i don't think your assertion rings true, and it's certainly not that the front suspension is holding the bike upright. it's not a trike!
I haven't ridden one although I'd definitely be curious to. Only read some reviews, such as the following:

http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/2009/08/demystifying-piaggio-mp3.html

Most reports are that it is more stable than a "conventional" motorcycle, although it obviously depends on the conditions. The additional front wheel is supposed to help a lot in slippery conditions. And it definitely sounds more manageable at low speeds than a conventional motorcycle.

The controls are different as well, no? The Piaggio with bicycle-style front and rear brakes and a CVT?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
all modern scooters have "bike style" (euro-style: front brake on the right, of course) front/rear brakes on the handlebars along with a CVT.

from your very link:

This idea of stability went so far in my head that I even considered the MP3 a suitable first ride for my wife rather than having her learn the more difficult process of riding on two wheels. What can I say? I was wrong. I'm an idiot. Just follow along a bit and I'll explain.

For an experienced rider used to balancing at slow speeds and manipulating a variety of controls it's a pretty simple process. But for a new or inexperienced rider it just gets confusing. Do it wrong and you are sitting there thinking the wheels are locked and they aren't and down you go. And even if you do have them locked don't touch the throttle. A little inadvertent twist automatically disengages the lock and if you are moving---down you go. I've read about lot's of new MP3 owners dropping their new machines. I could never understand this until I took one for a ride.
for what it's worth i became quite good at turning on the tilt-lock as i came to a stop. only once did i flick the wrong switch... and i put a foot down before keeling over, thankfully (extra thankfully since jessica was on the back!). until you flick that tilt-lock switch it rides 99% like a heavy scooter, which is what it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another auction ending a month too early, for a nice looking 2008 BMW F 650 GS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-Mileage-F650GS-available-NEW-LOWERED-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ160391174347QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item25580f18cb#ht_14839wt_912

spec highlights: 2500 miles on it. ABS. despite the "650" in the name it has an 798 cc parallel-twin with 71 hp (ie, on par with the Versys and Wee-Strom). add in a 6-speed manual, 19/17" wheel combo (like the Wee-Strom), a 32.2" seat height (31.3" low seat option), a dry weight of 377 lbs (439 wet), and a 4.2 gallon tank and it'd be a highly workable machine. with 180 mm suspension up front and 170 mm of travel in the rear it'd arguably be a better off-road machine than the japanese duo, too.

on the other hand, i can't foresee a situation where it'd sell for less than an otherwise equivalent Versys or Wee-Strom since it started out several $k higher. i'll watch this one on eBay and see how it turns out, in any case.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going back to an earlier theme, of whether post-stolen-MP3 insurance would be exorbitant:

2008 Kawasaki Versys. Dairyland Insurance: $569/yr (theft/comprehensive coverage, $500 deductible)
1996 BMW R 1100 RS. Progressive Insurance: $301/yr (theft/comprehensive coverage, $500 deductible)

not horrible.
today i looked back at my original insurance policy and apparently i'm an idiot. i don't know where my ~$600 estimation came from. i was paying $192/yr for a $1000 deductible comprehensive policy on the MP3 250.

i just ordered this chain and lock to ensure that the MP3's to-be-determined replacement stays put:

Kryptonite New York Legend Chain 1515: 15mm chain x 5 feet, 16 mm shackle padlock.

i watched those earlier videos with the gentlemen from Almax "cropping" all manner of competitors' chains with huge-ass bolt-cutters but they aren't a practical option in the US:

first of all they're not available here: they're only sold through Almax's website and their website doesn't sell to those outside the UK. second of all, they're really expensive, as in close to $300 with shipping for a 1.5m chain+lock. finally, as a UK company they don't offer any manner of anti-theft protection or reimbursement.

i also considered OnGuard but they fell short for two reasons: their thickest chain is a 14mm model, and their anti-theft guarantee (which covers the deductible, essentially) is not valid in New York State. Kryptonite's guarantee is good for a year and up to $2k, even in New York State, yes, so they were the clear choice.

(incidentally, amazon.com has the 1515 chain/lock for $143 with free super saver shipping, which is non-negligible given that the thing weighs 16.6 lbs: Amazon.com: Used and New: Kryptonite New York Legend 1515 Chain Bicycle Lock with New York Padlock Chain Bicycle Lock )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is all redundant, but sums things up:

Toshi on his blog said:
it is just shy of 5 weeks since my Piaggio MP3 was stolen from in front of our apartment. it has stayed stolen, and each day when i look out at its parking spot it remains absent. its key has been taken off my keyring and stashed in the expandable file, which is actually somewhat positive since it was enormous.

the process of making a claim went as such, roughly:

1) jessica filed a police report with our local precinct on the day that we discovered it missing. an officer came out to make the report, and kindly left the phone number to call for the report #, his name, and his badge number, knowing that the insurance company would later want these data.

2) i filed a claim with our insurer against the comprehensive policy later that night via their website. this process was relatively opaque as no confirmation was given and no contact was instigated on their part. i had to call them innumerable times to get updates, a process made more tiresome because the agent assigned didn't answer his phone more than 1 out of 10 times during his ostensible business hours. this wasn't the fault of our local agent, whose office is literally down the block and is staffed by personable types, but instead was because claims are handled centrally by State Farm.

3) i called the county impound lot to make sure it wasn't dumped promptly and picked up off the side of the road. theoretically i wouldn't have to do this given that i made a claim and the police should be looking into it, but i have no faith and, honestly, the theft of a scooter is low down on their list of priorities. i also made sure that the hospital security people hadn't towed it or otherwise molested it.

4) after this i waited. and waited. and then waited some more for good measure. i'm not sure whether it's the same process in each state but in this case, in New York state, State Farm does absolutely nothing with regards to the claim until 21 days has elapsed since it was reported, with the waiting period to allow for vehicles to reapparate.

5) once 21 days had elapsed then the claim was forwarded to State Farm's Total Loss Department. these people were considerably more responsive and easier to contact than my initial claims agent. however, the claim was forwarded to them on the abbreviated week of christmas. furthermore, my scooter is/was somewhat of a rare beast and the company from which they get valuations (as in what to pay out) didn't have a "stock" answer on hand for that model in the NY metro area. thus more waiting ensued.

6) finally, 6 days after the valuation request was made, 9 days after the claim was forwarded to the Total Loss group, and 30 days after the claim was initially made, they came up with a valuation and mailed me a letter in the mail. supposedly: i have yet to receive this letter, which was sent five days ago. however, i was told of the valuation via phone, and assuming i heard right i'll have no qualms about accepting it and moving on with my life.

if one would imagine that this process involves much waiting, consternation, many minutes on the phone, and general headaches one would be correct. it's not fun, and i highly recommend that you all do not follow my example and have your motorcycle or scooter stolen.

in order to reduce the chances that i myself have to do this again i've ordered up a honkin' big chain and lock:

nothing will stop a determined thief, yes, but 15mm of steel run around a 5" metal lamppole should give a potential thief pause if nothing else.

finally, for those following along, i'm pleased to report that this theft has not made me uninsurable. i ran several potential replacement-bike options by insurance agents, including the history of this recent theft, and the rates, while a bit higher, are still well within reason.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i finally got the valuation/settlement paperwork in the mail. their offer is $7321.33 - the $1000 deductible, so $6321.33. i accepted it, and mailed them the keys (original + master), the signed title, and a notarized power of attorney form to allow them to transfer the title, etc.

in addition to that burly chain/lock above i'm looking into covers (it does snow here!) and an alarm system. this isn't a process that i want to repeat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So close yet so far. I just wrote a long-ass blog post about the iPhone as a motorcycle GPS unit:

>>>>>

I want a motorcycle GPS but I simply can't justify one. Even as garden-variety automobile GPS units drop in price as commodities tend to do with increased availability the motorcycle-specific units remain absurdly priced, in my opinion. what constitutes "absurd"? Try $800, $900, even $1000 MSRPs.

That said, one does get a few extra trinkets for one's hard-earned chits, namely waterproof construction, glove-friendly button layouts, the ability to save tracks for later reference and perusal on the computer, and, perhaps most importantly, the ability to craft a route on the computer and then download it to the GPS unit. Why is this last ability important? Well, if you're on a motorcycle you're probably not looking to beeline it between point A and point B on the freeway, and the built-in routing mechanisms have no reliable way of telling what makes a fun road from a dull one. Planning a fun ride in advance and downloading it to the device clearly seems like the most elegant way of tackling this problem.

As i said, however, i find the prices of the motorcycle-specific GPS units out their appalling, especially so since i already have an iPhone 3G. What does the iPhone have to do with any of this? First of all, it has GPS hardware built-in. Second, it has a very nice screen. Third, it has Bluetooth and an elegant method of managing priority between calls and other applications. Finally, it has the capability of running third party applications, a number of which include turn-by-turn automobile-style GPS navigation programs (e.g., TomTom, Navigon, MotionX GPS Drive, ATT Navigator).

On the other hand, the iPhone isn't waterproof, one can't use the screen with gloves of any sort on barring capacitive thread or other such kludges, its GPS hardware may or may not be of lower specification than that in "true" GPSs, and cell service isn't available everywhere, an important consideration given that some navigation applications rely on cellular data connectivity. Despite these drawbacks I think it would be a much more elegant solution than a proprietary, limited standalone GPS unit.

Waterproofing the iPhone is a trivial problem to solve, as a medium-size RAM Mount Aqua Box and a bike-appropriate handlebar or fairing mount are easy to come by and cheap to boot. Lack of glove-friendly use is a drawback that I'm willing to accept. The limitations of cellular networks in the boonies is similarly a non-issue, as most of the 3rd-party GPS navigation apps have their bulky maps stored on the phone itself and don't rely on the cell network at all. The crucial piece that's missing is the software to perform the two distinct tasks: saving tracks to the computer from rides just completed, and importing tracks created on the computer to the device for planned future rides.

MotionX GPS is a $2.99 application available on the iTunes App Store that solves the first problem and partially but very incompletely addresses the second. It allows one to record tracks, upload them to the web, and emails a GPX file for archiving to boot. It even has an "Autoshare" feature that lets me, for example, update Jessica automatically via email every hour with my current latitude and longitude while out on a ride. It also has a slightly convoluted method whereby old tracks or new routes plotted out in Google Maps can be imported onto the iPhone. Since it's not entirely trivial and I spent some time figuring this out I'll preserve this information for posterity below:

Step 1: Create your route in Google Maps. For demonstration purposes here is a route that I rode on November 8, 2009.

Step 2: Use the GMapToGPX bookmarklet to generate a GPX file from this Google Maps route. Note that the route is plotted out using "routepoints," not "waypoints" or "trackpoints," a technical distinction only important because MotionX GPS doesn't support routepoints. Save this GPX file to your computer.

Step 3: Convert the GPX file to… a GPX file. Confused? We need to convert the routepoints to waypoints, and converting the file to the nominally same type using GPS Visualizer does exactly this. Save this resulting, second, GPX file to your computer.

Step 4: Email this second GPX file to the MotionX GPS conversionbot at GPSinfo@motionx.com. The daemon will in turn convert the GPX file into a format parseable by MotionX GPS and will reply with an email. Click the link in the email, finally, and the MotionX GPS application should open then prompt you to import the track.

After the above steps we now have a track in MotionX GPS and can display it on pretty maps, zoom about, etc. Unfortunately, what we can't do is generate turn by turn directions from this track, which is exactly what we wish to do. So close yet so far… which brings me to a question: Does anyone know of a turn-by-turn GPS navigation app for the iPhone that allows one to import GPX routes and then follow them?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Of the existing turn-by-turn apps it looks like Navigon is the winner for my purposes, for several reasons:

1) It offers a Scenic route choice, although I'm not entirely sure what this entails.
2) It offers a Motorcycle speed choice (in addition to walking, driving, etc.) that supposedly leads to windier roads being picked.
3) Routes and waypoints can be loaded and unloaded within the app, even though I still haven't found if they can be exported and imported from the computer.

Cliffs Notes: RAM mount + Aqua Box medium + Navigon app + iPhone 3G or 3GS should do the trick quite nicely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After writing that extremely long-winded post yesterday I came to the conclusion that no iPhone turn by turn GPS navigation apps offer exactly what I want. For those whose eyes glazed over reading the missive, what I want is the ability to import a GPX file from one's computer (generated through Google Maps or whatever your heart desires) to the app and then generate turn by turn directions to follow on the road.

All hope is not lost, however, as Navigon's iPhone app can basically accomplish the same functionality via its own internal method. The app itself, at $50-90 depending on the phase of the moon and current promotions, is much cheaper than a dedicated GPS unit that can import routes (e.g. the Garmin Zumo 550, MSRP $800) even after accounting for the added expense of waterproofing and mounting the iPhone on a motorcycle. It is all singing and dancing, with lane assist (as shown above), spoken street names in its directions, available live traffic info, various and sundry points of interest plus Google Local search for those not in its database, and pleasant looking 3-D maps. The real question for my purposes is whether it can create a usable plan for a day's ride when the object is not to travel the minimum distance or minimum mileage. With some help from the user I think that it can.

The typical way people use Navigon is to pick a point of interest or address and then have the unit come up with the "best" way there. This works great for those who don't know an area or who really have little interest in how they get to their destination, provided that they don't run off a closed bridge or the like. More sophisticated users might even insert an intervening destination, for example, to go to the bank prior to the grocery store, but this is as much as most people wish to do and as far as most consumer GPS units let one go.

Navigon, on the other hand, also has an alternate method of planning trips, the Route mode. Route mode lets one specify an arbitrary number of waypoints along one's desired path of travel, and then allows these strings of waypoints, Routes, to be saved, restored, and re-edited at will from the application's memory. (Ideally one would be able to import GPX files as Routes and export Routes as GPX files, but I'll settle at this point for being able to manipulate Routes within the sandbox of the application itself.) These waypoints can be specified by address, or, more conveniently, can be picked from places that one has pre-defined as favorite roads or destinations. String together enough of them to reduce ambiguity of which road you wish to use (and by this I don't mean defining a waypoint for every turn but rather only at large junctions), generate a route with the preferences set to take a scenic route if possible, and you might end up pleasantly surprised…

Here's an example Route heading up to Bear Mountain. First I defined a bunch of locations in Favorites (the depicted ones are actually for the North Shore):

Next I created a Route that hits up the high points along the route without going in to excrutiating, nit-picking detail (i.e., 6 defined points over ~200 miles in this case):

Now the Route is calculated using curvy roads if possible (note the motorcyclist icon at the left), with the final product at right:

I'm already planning out some early winter/spring North Shore and Bear Mountain trips and saving the corresponding Routes. How it will work in my idealized Sunday morning ride scenario is that a group of riders chatting over breakfast decides which high points they want to hit up, an existing, similar Route is quickly modified to reflect the group's preferences, and then the leader can relax and follow the turn by turn directions beamed to his helmet-mounted GPS intercom speaker from the iPhone app as he rides along the dry roads. We'll see how this matches up with reality, I suppose.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm definitely going a bit stir-crazy: it's winter, I still don't have a bike to ride and won't for several weeks yet at the earliest, and I basically have no life outside of work, riding, music, and hanging out with Jessica. I can only mentally parse so much of radiologic physics and radiology textbooks per day so much of my excess energy thus goes to thinking things over obsessively as I am wont to do. (See the previous two days' worth of posts, for example.) So what's on my mind today? Clothing.

Clothing? Those who know me would find this amusing: I own a very limited number of pants and shirts and am generally blasé about clothes. I like to think of myself as one step "up" (or is it down?) from the stereotypical engineer who has 7 identical outfits, one for each day of the week. However, clothing becomes a relevant issue to me for several reasons.

The first reason is that New York is pretty cold in the winter and I find myself in the odd state of not owning a thick coat. Through a fit of cheapness, a stuck zipper that refused to unstick itself, and a very lenient return policy at the time at steepandcheap.com I ended up returning my ski parka for a refund a year ago. I didn't regret this decision until this past December, when the feels-like-4-degrees-Fahrenheit weather kicked in in full effect.

The returned jacket, an Oakley something or other

A typical, sane person would have gone out and bought a coat at this point. Indeed, I even made an attempt at this, but was foiled by how cheap and poorly insulated the one parka on display at Costco seemed. Once the low-budget option was exhausted then Jessica and I looked to the REIs and LL Beans of the world next, only to find that basically all warm-looking down parkas have retail prices north of $250 if not $350. Given that these parkas are all made in sweatshops in Thailand or China yet are far from being inexpensive I explored domestic options. Being from Seattle, first and foremost in my mind amongst the domestic outerwear manufacturers is Feathered Friends. All Feathered Friends gear is made in Seattle not 1000 feet from the flagship REI store (and not half a mile from my old apartment!), and their reviews and reputation are nothing short of excellent. Pricewise they even are somewhat competitive with the imported offerings, with a waterproof, hooded version of their Volant midweight down jacket listing for $379.

Feathered Friends Volant jacket. Very warm. Very nice. Very pricey. Made in Seattle, WA.

This brings me to the other reason that clothing is on my mind: not only is New York winter weather cold when traveling about on foot here and there but it is especially frigid when out in a 65-mph wind blast while riding a motorcycle. Heat loss through wind chill is a serious matter when riding a motorcycle at speed, and even aggressive layering sometimes proves less than adequate when the temperature dips below 45 degrees or so. One solution to this problem would be to use better layers, such as that Feathered Friends Volant jacket that I mention above. The other solution is electricity: heated jacket liners (and even gloves, pants, and socks for the truly cold-blooded!) powered off of the bike's charging system.

Electric gear is serious business! Riding is all about the rider, the road… and a dozen wires, apparently.

In an ideal world I'd buy that nice down parka for outdoor use and then use heated gear for both Jessica (who is very easily chilled!) and me when on the bike. Obstacles to this would be that either item is really expensive on its own, let alone combined, closet space is limited (no joke! our apartment is tiny!), and I thought of a goofy but possibly workable setup that just might work. What's so goofy, you ask? Uh, well, I'd carry a battery around in my pocket.

{insert sound of crickets chirping in distance}

I'm no stranger to carting a battery around in my daily activities, having packed 18 pounds of lithium iron phosphate around all last year as a surgery intern. That battery was for my car-replacement, my electric bike. What I propose here is to carry around a much smaller battery to power an electric jacket liner typically used on a motorcycle. This way I could use the same, compact jacket liner to stay warm on my walking commute across the hospital campus and on the open road.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Am I daft? Brilliant? Misunderstood? What's certain, at least, is that I have too much time on my hands to stew and contemplate mundane issues…

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought a bunch of high resistance heating wire to build heated insoles and grips on my bicycle. Should be able to get a small battery to keep the extremities warm for a few hours.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It looks like there's a bunch of dual-sport riders out in my area on ADVrider. I'm going to head to their party on the 16th, give two of their members' rides a try (KLR and Wee-Strom), and give some mental attention to dual-sports. Since I did ride DH, once upon a time, I bet it would be fun. Therefore the faithful reader can expect some posts today on the usual dual-sport suspects… starting with the KLR below. More after Sherlock Holmes. :D

Kawasaki KLR 650.

New-gen (2008+)

Old-gen

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=358

New MSRP of $5599. Plentiful used. Specs for the new-gen model: 651cc thumper, 5-speed transmission, 432 lbs. It has a 6.1 gallon tank! It has a ton of suspension travel compared to even a Versys or Wee-Strom, with 7.9" up front and 7.3" in the rear. The tradeoff for all this travel is that the seat height is a sky-high 35". (There are lowering kits out there, and one of the local ADVrider crew is 5' 8" and says he fits on his KLR ok, for what that's worth.)

My uncle is taking a 2001 KLR from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, by the way, and the bike is the choice of frugal world travelers. Rich world travelers choose the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, of course. :D

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Suzuki DR-Z400S.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/DR-Z400/2009/DRZ400S.aspx?category=dualsport

A review: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08january03suzuki2003drz400s.html

New MSRP of $6099. Not as plentiful used but they are out there. 398cc thumper, carbureted for better or worse. 5-speed transmission. Only 317 lbs! Tons of suspension travel (11"ish both ends) accompanied by an equally sky-high 36.8" seat height. Yikes. The gas tank is only 2.6 gallons, however. 21" front, 18" rear spoked wheels as one would expect on a dirt-oriented bike.

This one would be a handful on pavement due to the towering seat height, but it's light, has tons of travel, and would be a kick and a half on true off-road trails that street bikes wouldn't dare tread on. Another big drawback to it, now that I think of it, is that Jessica would not only have a tough time climbing up onto its seat but the accommodations would be very, very cramped. I might get to try one of these out next weekend with the ADVrider crew, in any case.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Suzuki DR650SE.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/DR650SE/2009/DR650SE.aspx?category=dualsport

New MSRP of $5699, yes, cheaper than its smaller sibling. 644cc thumper, with a carb. 5-speed transmission, 366 lb weight, and a 34.8" seat height/"only" 33" with the low seat! 3.4 gallon tank.

This one is basically a KLR fighter in every way, and with the low seat looks intriguing on paper. The odd thing is that the KLR gets much more press on ADVrider, and I'm not sure why.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yamaha WR250R.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/home.aspx

$6390 new. 250cc injected thumper. 298 lbs! 6-speed! 10.6" suspension travel at both ends accompanied by a 36.6" seat height. Yikes. Only a 2-gallon tank, too.

The more I look the more I come to see that there's no one perfect machine. Perhaps for this first "real" bike I'd be better off sticking to a standard road machine. On the other hand, it sure would be fun to get off the road…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Even the big dirt-friendly DS rigs seem like too much of a compromise. They're too big for tight trails, too small for comfortable 2-up road riding (which I need, although our standards are low--the MP3 was all of 244cc, recall, albeit on a biggish frame), and are all really tall.

This is all still silly season speculation, but maybe <gasp> a mountain bike and a road motorcycle is a better way to get in the woods + on the road&#8230;