Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick How are you liking your Elevensix? Unfortunately Push seems to not be in the business of dicking around with the internals of anything but Fox forks and the Elevensix these days--I think @Westy is probably right in that I could use my suspension revalved for my weight and riding style. (Today I probably just didn't have enough pressure after not topping either side off after a winter of lying fallow.)

I'll resist the same impulsiveness that led me to buy powder skis on a lark this winter and stick it out with the 5010 as is this riding season, but I'm curious...
I love the ElevenSix. Best shock I've ever ridden bar none, plus the two compression valves feature for versatility. It's not a climb switch. I use one valve for trail riding and another is set for a loose faster, less damped but similar setup for just descending or shuttling. I've not had more traction, especially climbing is where it's obvious. Descending is ridiculous compared to the Float or Monarch. They only con I could try to call out is the weight, there is no getting around an extra weight but IMO it's well worth it.

What are you trying to change/improve on your bike? What isn't working with the shock? Have you spent any time really dialing it in? Shockwiz? Tried other shocks which offer more adjustability? (x2, CCDBa)? I don't remember which shock you have but maybe we can spend an hour tweaking over a section of trail and see what comes of it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Riding with Watz I felt compelled to do all climbing sitting down to avoid bob, and motions felt underdamped when climbing--crest an obstacle with some power and then the bike is a bit loosey-goosey for a second. Part of that is most likely low air pressure for, as I wrote, I didn't touch the fork or shock all winter.

Going downhill it actually felt fine, with the limiting factor my ability to read a new trail at speed.

I have not spent any time really dialing in settings on either. Probably could use that.

Looks like my stock shock is a FOX Float Factory EVOL.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Riding with Watz I felt compelled to do all climbing sitting down to avoid bob, and motions felt underdamped when climbing--crest an obstacle with some power and then the bike is a bit loosey-goosey for a second. Part of that is most likely low air pressure for, as I wrote, I didn't touch the fork or shock all winter.

Going downhill it actually felt fine, with the limiting factor my ability to read a new trail at speed.

I have not spent any time really dialing in settings on either. Probably could use that.

Looks like my stock shock is a FOX Float Factory EVOL.
I haven't actually used it, but Cane Creek has a tuning app that might assist in the on-trail testing...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I haven't actually used it, but Cane Creek has a tuning app that might assist in the on-trail testing...
Interesting. I think it'd probably be higher yield to ride a rock garden up and down a bunch of times with Nick watching and telling me what to turn. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Get one of both!
One for play (self shuttle golden trails) the other for smugging around the 'hood, running kids about and grocery gettin'.
Speaking of self-shuttling trails, this is highly relevant:

This posts are from April 2015, I believe, predating my return to pedal-powered mountain biking (that being June 2016?).

Relevant reading regarding self-shuttling developments in the interim:

https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PFB-0529-E-Bike-Law-Handouts_CO_V2.pdf

COLORADO’S E-BIKE LAW FOR TRAILS

» LOCAL: Consult your local land management agency.

» STATE: E-bikes are allowed in all 42 Colorado State Parks where bicycles are permitted. Contact Colorado State Parks for more information.

» FEDERAL: On federal lands, eMTBs are considered motorized vehicles and have access to motorized trails. Contact the US Forest Service Rocky Mountain Regional Office or the BLM Colorado State Office for more information.
http://www.cpr.org/news/story/e-bikes-on-trails-it-s-a-question-you-only-ask-if-you-re-ready-for-coloradans-to-sound

To the south of Boulder County, in Jefferson County, open space officials there have decided to allow Class 1 e-bikes on dirt trails where mountain bikes are allowed. Class 1 and 2 e-bikes will be allowed on paved trails within parks.

The decision comes after a year of intensive research in JeffCo where Mary Ann Bonnell did something unusual. She wanted to study public opinions on e-bike, but she also wanted to test what people actually knew about them. To find out, she organized volunteers to stop hikers and log their opinions. She also recruited a few of the nearly silent e-bikes to ride by on the same trails past the visitors.

“Here’s this person who’s decided this thing is really a bad idea, and yet can’t recognize it when it’s right in front of them,” Bonnell said.

She found that some people who can’t recognize an e-bike can sometimes be dead set against them. Which was certainly interesting she said, “If you can’t detect it, is it really a problem?”
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail-advocacy/electric-mountain-bikes-allowed-singletrack-colorado-yes-no/

[JeffCo Open Space's deferral to state legislation is] particularly notable simply because it opens so many popular mountain bike trails in Colorado to eMTBs, including Apex Park, White Ranch, Lair o’ the Bear, Deer Creek Canyon, Alderfer/Three Sisters, Matthews/Winters, and Mount Falcon.
Food for thought...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I love the ElevenSix. Best shock I've ever ridden bar none, plus the two compression valves feature for versatility. It's not a climb switch. I use one valve for trail riding and another is set for a loose faster, less damped but similar setup for just descending or shuttling. I've not had more traction, especially climbing is where it's obvious. Descending is ridiculous compared to the Float or Monarch. They only con I could try to call out is the weight, there is no getting around an extra weight but IMO it's well worth it.

What are you trying to change/improve on your bike? What isn't working with the shock? Have you spent any time really dialing it in? Shockwiz? Tried other shocks which offer more adjustability? (x2, CCDBa)? I don't remember which shock you have but maybe we can spend an hour tweaking over a section of trail and see what comes of it.
Does Big Ring or GBS still have shockwiz for rent? I'd split the costs if we can get a few of us on the right trail for an afternoon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Land Cruiser is not among the small group of Toyotas that have stop and go adaptive cruise: Prius, Prius Prime, Camry, C-HR. None of those would do, although maybe that list will be longer 2 years from now.

But the Lexus list is longer, as per my prior writings on this hang-up of mine: some cars (GS, LS, LC) but also the NX, RX, and the 2016+ LX, the latter being the uglified Land Cruiser variant. Hmm. Full circle from a few years ago, possibly? :D
i have a somewhat similar list of requirements as you do (kid carrier plus high altitude/sub-freezeing shuttling, plus some off-road abilities in mud/sand), and the best vehicle I found for it is the LX570 (post facelift). the 200 is way too agricultural.

only reason I dont have one, is I work for mercedes-benz.
I´d truly rock one, if I knew I´d not loose my parking space (or job!), by bringing a Lexus to work.
CA80C14E-4997-4338-BA87-CCF3CEB31612.png

That’s 5 year total cost to own as of now for a 2016 LX. That’s a shit ton of depreciation.

For me I’d be getting one at “year 3” or 4 time points, as this would be used in 2021. First year taxes would be rough. Gas would be lower, as this is for 15k/yr. My own insurance and financing runs lower, too, and I doubt the maintenance and repair bills would be that high, either.

Still goes to illustrate that it wouldn’t be cheap to own, if for nothing else due to that depreciation. I can live with depreciating $500/mo as that’s essentially what this Volvo is. $1k/mo is harder to swallow.

Latest update:

“Toshi, we are all set to go for Tuesday! What time will you be arriving Tuesday?“

That’s more like it.
For certain values of "all set"... :D
They screwed up the paperwork somehow. I signed a second lease agreement last night and got it off via FedEx today (at least on their dime this time). Payment and terms same. They accounted for some taxes wrong, I’m told?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Isn't that the day we're going to do a Pano->Down day? :brows:
If you're down with me futzing with a potentially whirring monstrosity of a bike let's do it. Ride ALL the trails.

I can pick up the bike at Commencal in Golden at 9. Where/when do you want to meet?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Was thinking of you the other day Toshi.
When the earth fucker was in the shop for new ujoint I was driving around in a Fusion hybrid.
It immediately turned me into the hybrid driver I loathe, with my focus being avoiding use of the gas engine and soft pedalling off every light mesmerized by the dash display.
Wasn't too impressed with the transition to fossil fueled power in that car which had me thinking you dodged a bullet on that one.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dammit toshi...ebike’s got you on my kill list. i’m sure @jonKranked’s had his eye on younfor some time now as well...

ride it to work...*maybe* ok...rode on trails? punch yourself in the face please.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dammit toshi...ebike’s got you on my kill list. i’m sure @jonKranked’s had his eye on younfor some time now as well...

ride it to work...*maybe* ok...rode on trails? punch yourself in the face please.
But why that reaction? It's legit and legal now. I like descending much better than ascending. I figure it's worth a few demos at least...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
But why that reaction? It's legit and legal now. I like descending much better than ascending. I figure it's worth a few demos at least...
best argument I´ve heard so far for ebikes:

"you have limited ride time, maybe once a week; probably less... on any given morning ride; you can do 3 laps (600+ ft elevation each) on an ebike, or you can do 1 on a regular bike. all under your same-watt-output."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Articulation-related amusement of the day:

This, the new BMW X5, apparently is offered with an Off Road package that includes a rear locker.

:stupid:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
best argument I´ve heard so far for ebikes:

"you have limited ride time, maybe once a week; probably less... on any given morning ride; you can do 3 laps (600+ ft elevation each) on an ebike, or you can do 1 on a regular bike. all under your same-watt-output."
When they are 32 pounds, and I am sixty, I'll probably get one.
Whichever comes first?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Short of a level 4 autonomous car, Cadillac's Super Cruise system seems to be the only system with its shit figured out. Volvo's Pilot Assist would probably be just as frustrating as the Nissan ProPILOT Assist was, only possibly with better execution of what it does. The interface issues would be common to each--no thanks.
I wrote this in January 2018 after testing the Nissan Rogue's ProPILOT Assist. As you all know, I currently am leasing a Volvo with Pilot Assist. (The name similarity is coincidental, but both systems are sourced from Mobileye, as best as I can tell.)

Having driven both I think Volvo's implementation is better, as I had guessed back in January. Notable differences that make this so are the clean control layout on the Volvo steering wheel, and (the big one) much better visual notification of when Pilot Assist is active on the Volvo's 12.3" dashboard LCD as opposed to the crappy little low-res monochrome LCD in the center of the Rogue's dashboard.

Pilot Assist isn't of tremendous use off the highway, though: I use it when the line markings are good, but I often revert to steering myself and using the adaptive cruise alone because it is unreliable (random course deviations) or unavailable. On the highway it works pretty well but the "touch the wheel every 10 seconds" aspect of using it is annoying.

But I digress.

The real reason I quoted myself here is the line about Super Cruise. It was introduced on the 2018 Cadillac CT6 to modest fanfare, but GM announced no greater availability for it. Thus it was a bit of an oddity at best, for me, since Lexus LS-flirtation aside, I really have no use for a big luxury sedan given my lifestyle.

Well, that changed today. Only Ars Technica seems to have picked up the story so far, but this is big:

Arstechnica.com said:
[On] Tuesday [GM] announced that Super Cruise will be available on every MY2020 Cadillac.
Call my Sally and slap me silly. I would have to think it over, of course, but if the choice for me in 2021 comes down to

A) a Lexus LX 570 that has my coveted suspension articulation, luxurious materials, and stop and go adaptive cruise but is quite hideous, very large, and ostentatious

or

B) a Cadillac (or by 2021, GM) that has no off road pretensions but can drive itself on highways indefinitely hands-off as long as my eyes are directed on the road

I may well end up picking the latter. Hmm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My 5 year old is 34 lbs and my 3 year old is somewhere in the 25-30 lb range. They are long alien-babies with big Japanese heads.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turns out the new Monkey is actually much bigger than the old. 30.5" seat height for reference. Hmm. :D

Also, I think I posted this a few years back but can't find it.

Land Cruiser 200 series durability testing. Would be nice to have an official Toyota copy of this in higher resolution.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pilot Assist isn't of tremendous use off the highway, though: I use it when the line markings are good, but I often revert to steering myself and using the adaptive cruise alone because it is unreliable (random course deviations)
Re random course deviations, see death of Walter Huang:

Admittedly he wasn't paying attention for at least the last 6 seconds before the crash--no driver input. Whether or not he would have been an idiot playing with his phone or not in a regular car is actually of import here, because a regular car wouldn't have followed the poorly marked left lane marker off into the median but rather continued on its path. (Also of note is that Mr. Huang probably won't have died in the crash if the crash attenuator in the median hadn't been already used--he basically went from 70 to 0 in the space of half of his car's wheelbase.)

Ars Technica has a writeup on the Huang/Tesla incident that briefly touches on the development path of these systems. The short version is that because adaptive cruise/collision mitigation and autosteer functionality were originally developed separately, and in an era where sensors had limited fidelity their interactions can lead to these adverse outcomes of crashing into fixed objects +/- the car swerving toward it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Deep thought of the night: Can I get away with not having a car post-Volvo?

There's an Enterprise scheduled to open in a new location in Q1 2019. This new location will be 0.8 miles away from me, easily accessible on foot (<20 minutes) or bike (5 minutes). Even with inevitable delays it'll certainly be open by Volvo-lease end time in 2021.

In 2021 my kids will be 8 and 6 in elementary, and theoretical Thing 3 would be 2 and in preschool. I wouldn't be on kid shuttling duty most days, and certainly could pick up a car at 7:30 AM, pick up a kid and a car seat from the garage, and drop off said kid at a reasonable hour in a pinch.

For getting to work I could ride my belt drive commuter, Uber, or perhaps add a motorized 2 wheeler +/- pedals to the stable.

For getting to the trailhead I could rent an SUV or minivan from Enterprise and either use the hitch if it's not blocked off somehow or toss the whole bike in the back.

Skiing is the tougher one. No snow tires on rental vehicles, as far as I know. Per the horse's mouth:

Enterprise.com said:
Enterprise rental cars are equipped with all-season tires. Snow chains are not offered as additional equipment nor can snow chains be placed on rental vehicles.
That said, rental cars don't have some special tires that reject snow chains. Don't ask, don't tell, and just buy a chain size that'd fit whatever full-size SUV rental they carry (e.g. Armada)?

Why would I do this? The garage would seem a whole lot roomier. It probably wouldn't be any more expensive than the increasingly outlandish vehicles I've been considering. It resonates with my desire to own less stuff. It'd automatically keep my vehicle fleet somewhat new. When Ubering it'd give me the self-driving car experience, only with the car operated by a fellow meat popsicle instead of a fancy algorithm. It'd give me an excuse to get a motorcycle again.

Hmm. Maybe?