Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
obviously I'm not bagging on the 991, I was just comparing to the 993. Get in one. They're big and comfy.
That’s the thing. 991s will be trivial to find. 993s are priced like diamonds and are likely to be located far from the mountains. (There was a beat up 993 C2 in Colorado Springs recently for seemingly way too dear a price.)

Either way nothing to do until at least winter 2019. I must wait out two more bonus cycles and be prudent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here’s a great reason for me not to get a 997.2 GTS:

Buried in there is a bit about the seats and those of porcine build. Yeah, that’s not going to work for me, a la the Mitsubishi Evo’s Recaros (torture!) or the sport seats on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

I am many things, but “narrow” is not one of them.

See this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/483318-sports-seats-too-narrow-at-shoulders-fix.html

I guess it’ll just have to be 993 after all. Or a 997 with regular seats. Or a heretic 996 with IMS replaced. The 996.2 with Turbo headlights (so 2002-2003 996 C4S or Turbo) actually look good, IMO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, and in case anyone is keeping track, the Illinois Volvo dealer still hasn’t got their paperwork lined up with Volvo Financial or the CO DMV. Therefore I’m on my second month’s temp plate and haven’t registered the thing. Haven’t made the second month’s payment, either, despite having had the car 7 weeks! (The first was part of my deposit.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, and in case anyone is keeping track, the Illinois Volvo dealer still hasn’t got their paperwork lined up with Volvo Financial or the CO DMV. Therefore I’m on my second month’s temp plate and haven’t registered the thing. Haven’t made the second month’s payment, either, despite having had the car 7 weeks! (The first was part of my deposit.)
Have I mentioned here that the Illinois dealer from which I leased the XC40 has screwed up the paperwork royally? Because they have.

Timeline:

- Verbally and over email committed to lease terms on 5/9/18, while on vacation
- Signed paper copies of lease paperwork on 5/16
- Picked up vehicle on 5/22, driving it since then
- Signed second lease contract on 6/1--same overall payment, but supposedly they fixed how the taxes were accounted for
- Signed third lease contract on 6/13--again, same overall payment but tweaking the tax accounting some more
- Obtained 30 day CO temp tag on 6/20 as the original 30 day IL tag was about to expire
- Got a call on 6/28 from the new business manager (old one having been canned in interim for screwing up this and other deals, apparently), saying another FedEx package is coming my way, and this paperwork should be enough to register the car

So here's that paperwork, with just my name and address redacted:

Note lack of vehicle info, VIN. I can put that in, fine. Note also the lack of specifying any other info that they should have calculated on the worksheet--blank bottom half. Also note that this form is the lessor's responsibility to supply to the state. (Not pictured is a second, stapled page, where Volvo Financial basically scolds the dealer for not doing the tax calculations right, rejects their paperwork, and notes that they're going to withhold the second month's payment from the dealer's disbursement!)

This dealer really does not have their shit together!

The upside of this is that I initially put $1000 down on a credit card. The lease payment inclusive of tax of $604.58 was actually charged from that deposit, and that served as the first month driveway payment. Since that point I've paid precisely $0 to anyone. Can't beat a free lease!

:disco:

I called Volvo Car Financial Services today to check on the status of the paperwork, even. No record of the VIN in their system, so no way for me to register and pay toward the account yet. Fine with me...

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So the Specialized Turbo Levo has a longer-legged cousin:

Specialized Turbo Kenevo FSR 6Fattie

180 mm front and rear, and an Öhlins coil on the rear to boot.
I'm going to sell my crypto holdings on August 2. They should nicely cover the Specialized Turbo Kenevo that I'm planning on ordering.

My Pivot Shuttle demo ride on July 10 will actually be informative for the Specialized: its reach of 445 mm is longer yet than the Specialized's 431 mm (or my current 5010's 425 mm), so if I tolerate the Pivot then I'll feel at home on the Specialized, which despite the longer travel is actually pretty similar to the Pivot in its geometry save for a slacker head tube angle on the long-legged Specialized.
I had set up the Pivot demo to see if the geometry might be like a Turbo Kenevo. Turns out that BikeSource has a large e-bike demo fleet, for better or worse, and I'm now set up to demo a Kenevo in size M directly through them this upcoming weekend.

So for Sunday: a Turbo Kenevo. 180 mm travel, enduro bike with assist basically.

And on Tuesday: a Pivot Shuttle. 150/140 mm trailbike, crabonz all the things, Di2, etc.

I plan on taking both out to Mountain Lion, possibly with Evan on Sunday and with a NASIOC acquaintance who is a fast XC type from what I can gather on Tuesday. These will be two useful data points for determining how I proceed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The dealer came back with a “$33-34k” tradein estimate on the 2018 PacHy. (Recall that $36k would be where I’d have driven it for a year essentially for free after tax credits.)

:notbadobama:

I’m soliciting offers from other dealers to see if they can beat the trade to 2019 purchase price delta, but I’d be fine with what’s in my hand now.

(And BTC is at $6.6k as of today. Hodling until August I am still planning to do, yes.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So the Specialized Turbo Levo has a longer-legged cousin:

Specialized Turbo Kenevo FSR 6Fattie

180 mm front and rear, and an Öhlins coil on the rear to boot.
Thoughts on the Kenevo:

Its 180 mm travel was nice, but I definitely felt more glued to the ground (which is not a positive thing) as compared to my non-electric 130 mm 5010. The slacker geometry didn't help me ride anything I don't usually ride, either, which is a trivial observation since I already ride everything. :D Part of this could be due to the rear being undersprung, of course, but the fork seemed a little too stiff if anything (even when not locked out as below).

The front air fork works a hell of a lot better when it's not set to be locked out, whoops. I rode down all of Mountain Lion's descent with it locked out, and was keeping up with my (fast) riding buddy but cursing the front end until I flatted.

Re flatting: rock right through the casing under the tread, not tearing a sidewall. About a 5 mm long gash, enough to let all the air out in a few tire revolutions. Is this due to being plus size or just a shortcoming of the Grid casing? Yes?

The Specialized's Brose motor is super, super quiet, which is a big plus. The Commencal's Bosch (ed: Shimano, actually) motor wasn't loud, but this one is nearly inaudible except for when tooling along at 2 mph with little tire noise.

The assist levels were weird: Eco was nearly useless (whereas it was very useful on the Bosch). Trail felt a bit overboosted but I read that it is limited by default on total torque (i.e. wouldn't go to 100% motor output even if that's what the multiplier of what you're putting in would suggest). Turbo felt like too much of an "easy button" not requiring real rider torque and I rarely used it. This could be fixed with user customization, which is possible through Specialized's Mission Control app, but still weird.

Ergonomics were not good. Specialized seat was narrow and domed in the middle. Their funky dropper post that tilts the seat was very annoying. Worst of all was the default positioning of the huge (front derailleur thumb lever-size) dropper lever and the downshift lever on the right pod: they had sharp edges and were close enough to the grips that I actually rubbed the contact areas on the inside part of my thumbs' bases bloody. Gross.

Battery range was great. I rode 99% of the time in Trail mode, which again was a little overboosted for my taste (i.e. doing 130 bpm when climbing instead of 140 bpm when at a fast regular-rider pace). We did 2100 feet of ascent between our two rides and I was left with 5/10 range bars showing at the end of the day.

My verdict on it is that it's an interesting but ultimately flawed package. I can do better than it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yuna’s at biking camp, and finally is getting the whole balance bit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My verdict on it is that [the Kenevo is] an interesting but ultimately flawed package. I can do better than it.
I hope to be blown away with the pricey Pivot Shuttle that I'm going to pick up in a few hours. If I'm not (or even if I am) I'm probably going to demo at least two more bikes in August:

Commencal Meta Power 29. 8 mm longer chainstays yet than the long-feeling 27.5"+ version I tried but maybe it'll feel better as a 29er? (And maybe I can get a demo day comped since they were incompetent last time?)

I probably should also try out the Specialized Turbo Levo (and bring a spare tube for sure!).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I hope to be blown away with the pricey Pivot Shuttle that I'm going to pick up in a few hours. If I'm not (or even if I am) I'm probably going to demo at least two more bikes in August:
So my hunt may be over. I liked the Shuttle as it felt very natural, and Golden Bike Shop offered to sell me one for 10% off (as opposed to waiting out the season and buying their demo bike for perhaps 15% off). If I can get them to swap out grips, seat, and tires (2.6” would be just fine) the better, but that’s hardly a deal breaker.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The dealer came back with a “$33-34k” tradein estimate on the 2018 PacHy. (Recall that $36k would be where I’d have driven it for a year essentially for free after tax credits.)

:notbadobama:

I’m soliciting offers from other dealers to see if they can beat the trade to 2019 purchase price delta, but I’d be fine with what’s in my hand now.
Not even an email from the other dealers from which I solicited offers, so I'm going forward with the original (Colorado Springs) dealer:

Next week has come, and I've thought this over. Let's do it.

What do you need from me to get the 2019 order rolling?
:banana:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I'd ride that, because a) of course I would, and b) history of Versys and Piaggio MP3 ownership. (But I wouldn't dress up as a storm trooper a la the dude in the video, because that's just weird.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Called Volvo Financial again today. Confirmed they have no record of the vehicle and thus I have nothing to pay, still.

2) Put down a deposit on the 2019 PacHy. ETA Sept or so. Maybe October like the last.

3) Ordered the Pivot Shuttle at 10% off. Should be built up Friday. I’ll pick it up Monday and ride it on Sat the 21st.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You'd think... being a car dealership... they'd know how to do shit like this. What a clusterfuck. :thumb:
I emailed Volvo Corporate to see if they can fix things, and also to establish a paper trail if it comes to that.

>>>>>

Bit of a weird situation here:

I leased a 2019 XC40 T5 R-Design from Grossinger Motors in Normal, IL. I live in Denver, CO. Date on the paperwork was 5/9/18, verbal agreement and PDF of lease terms sent to me. First contract signed 5/16/18. Picked up the vehicle on 5/22/18.

They sent me a second lease contract on 6/1/18--they'd messed up the accounting for the state and local taxes. They sent me a third lease contract on 6/13/18--same story.

I still don't have a Volvo Financial account. I've called them several times, latest today, and they have no record under the vehicle's VIN (which is YV4162XZ1K2003724). While not paying for the lease for the time being is great, I'm on a second 30 day temp tag extension because the dealer apparently hasn't correctly filled out the paperwork to register it on my behalf in Colorado, either.

This is taking up a considerable amount of my time, what with calling Volvo Financial to see if I am in the system yet and waiting an hour each time at the DMV for temp tags.

Could someone at Volvo USA Corporate look into this situation and resolve it for me? Resolution would be in the sense of executing the lease contract as originally agreed, with the paperwork ducks all in a row, getting me registered in CO, and getting me in the Volvo Financial system.

Thanks in advance.

-[me]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today was the maiden voyage on my newly uglified/electrified Soma commuter. I'll post before-after pictures after swapping out the yellow zipties currently all over the place for cable management with black ones.

The relevant bit is that it performs as I'd hoped. Assist settings are a bit in flux (nerd detail: the torque sensing BB has double the number of poles of typical ones, which leads to improper default settings) but in general it has the pleasing sensation that I'm the bionic man.

Objectively here's how my 7.16 mile, ~200 ft elevation gain commute went:

Context in which to interpret these numbers:

1) Battery pack capacity is about 500 Wh, so this one way commute (and slightly uphill) used up about 13% of the pack's capacity. This means I can probably do 3 round trip commutes between recharging, which I will probably do to minimize pack cycles unless it turns out that repeated partial pack cycles are better.

2) 9.0 Wh/mile while averaging 15 mph including a few lights and futzing around with settings a few times is quite good. Average moving speed was probably around 18 mph. For context on my old commuter bike I'd average 25-30 Wh/mile: upright positioning, ~24 mph cruising speed via a more powerful motor and controller, and no torque sensing on that old bike accounted for that.

3) It drew 65 Wh from the pack. I contributed 54 Wh, at an average of 187 W. I think it was at a 1.25x effort multiplier most of the ride, which jives with this. (I have a little digital aux button setup where I can change assist multipliers on the fly.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I gotta say it ... it's 7 miles, why not just pedal? :hmm:
I certainly have been riding it "conventionally" several times per week on average, but lacked the mental fortitude to do it all the time: after late nights, when the weather is hot, cold, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Battery pack capacity is about 500 Wh, so this one way commute (and slightly uphill) used up about 13% of the pack's capacity. This means I can probably do 3 round trip commutes between recharging, which I will probably do to minimize pack cycles unless it turns out that repeated partial pack cycles are better.
Answering myself:

The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

So I should charge every day. Down the road I could switch to some of ebikes.ca's LiGo ~100 Wh modular/stackable packs. 2 of those would do the trick:

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/ligo-batteries.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Stats for the round trip. I used about 20% total pack capacity but will charge daily to prolong battery life. My average output was near 190W, and the electric bits added about 125% of that on top.

The grating of the chainstay and belt ring should be fixed now after more liberal application of the BFH (or the 12” crescent, in this case). I also tightened down the cassette lockring, as that was loose and noisy since my lockring tool isn’t deep enough for the hub motor’s long solid axle.

As promised I also replaced all the yellow zip ties with black ones. Much less ugly. I’ll see about snapping a photo of the set up tomorrow if I can be arsed to dig out my big camera and some lighting.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This is relevant to my interests. I’d rock a 911 Allroad, if you will.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1.5 commutes in and I appear to have killed the torque sensing bottom bracket. I went off of a curb as I usually do on a particular section of my commute and torque sensing became spotty, dropping out a few seconds later. Now it's showing 0V at rest whereas it should be ~1.5V, and no change with torque, of course.

Whoops.

I think ebikes.ca will take care of me but perhaps it's not a great long term solution if I'll have to ride super mellow (no up/down curbs). I built up my commuter with mountain bike-spec rims and 47 mm tires intentionally...