Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fork is now officially good enough. Started out with an 80 rating to begin with. Didn’t have to mess with air or spacers at all—was bang on with those. Just compression and rebound.

8507B3A3-4E18-4D45-8811-821576A1C8D8.jpeg
495347DF-7810-442E-BCC6-CB9888656AC6.jpeg
74439373-32A9-4B01-AD4A-61141DC5CDD9.jpeg
221F7A86-DCCD-4322-84E2-8AE9239584CE.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Secondary verification that the fork is working ok:

I just defined a few e-bike segments for the Chimpex e-bike loop that I did today.

(E-bike rides don't match to regular biking segments, and regular bikers don't show up on the e-bike segments' leaderboards--they're totally distinct. No one seems to have established e-bike segments for the usual trails so I've been doing so.)

One e-bike segment that I defined matches up quite closely with the regular segment First Enchanted Descent. For context:

mtg 2:25
Full Trucker 2:25
Nick 3:10 (in 2014!)
stoney 3:25 (in 2013!)
Adventurous 3:37

My hiker- and wet root-impaired times today on my 3 laps of the analogous e-bike segment: 2:36, 2:33, 2:29. I am ok with this virtual company I keep.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Damn, I'm about 2:30ish so I'm slower than Toshi on his moped :(

The breaking bumps at the last descent on Enchanted were like craters today, it's been a while since I rode it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, there is that one 40 foot sudden uphill bit. Why, Enchanted, why?

Also agreed on the craters being big. Almost caught me off guard first lap through.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Gah. I'm not even KOM for e-bikes on the Enchanted initial DH! Someone else logged a… wait for it… 2:25.

:D

Perhaps I'll take a quick lap of Enchanted/Apex from the top on Friday to try and snag that crown and then go ride ML. Maybe I'll hit the drop coming off the top of Apex stairs, too. I pussed out on it today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After several more back and forth rounds with Volvo USA including me emailing their VP for Customer Service directly I have a resolution! (assuming the paperwork sent by the dealer and received 8/9 is correct and complete...)

>>>>>

Hi Toshi,

After having your case reviewed, it was determined that Volvo will will cover the rental fully but from 7/30 to no longer than 8/29. Which means you will still need to go over to the DMV office to sign the necessary documents. Anything after the 29th will be your responsibility. Please send us a copy of the rental receipt and we will submit reimbursement for you.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Eric
Volvo Car USA

<<<<<

This arrived at 6:33 AM. I checked my email at 7:20 AM and had a reservation from this morning until end of day on 8/29 booked by 7:30 AM. I now have a Ford Edge to cruise around in while I wait on the DMV some more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
drop? is this new?
Wasn't there last year (two years ago?), the only other time I've done Chimpex. There's a drop off of a rock wall in lieu of one more set of switchbacks. This is in the 100 ft between the stairs with ramps and chicken wire and the Enchanted entrance. Drop is right by a sign that mentions trail changes, etc. Probably 3 ft to very slightly downhill landing--nothing intense but not rollable for sure!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Drop is a few months old, as you come of the ramps, carry trail speed into it.

They've just altered the entire opening section of trail leading down to the first bridge, gone is the washed out chute, replaced with a dull set of switchbacks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hit the drop. Looks closer to 2 ft from below, but maybe 3 ft dropped with a bit of speed? Could probably roll it on far rider’s left.

Claimed e-bike KOM on Enchanted First Descent. 2:23 with completely stopping for a hiker insistent on his rights.

Also did Mountain Lion, trying to shake down my rear suspension. Stopped for hikers, chatting with bikers, adjusting suspension. Most of ride on Trail Mode but some of the switchback sections and the whole last climb from the creek on Boost. Suspension felt good, I felt good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1794871090

026C8883-44DF-4E95-BDBB-25EF5C942EEC.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rental car review:

2018 Ford Edge Titanium Ecoboost. 8.9k, local Avis.

Pros:

- very quiet wind and road noise (19” wheel/tire package)
- cream and black interior much less bathtub-like than the same platform all black Lincoln MKC I had earlier this year
- CarPlay
- pano sunroof

Cons:

- while not slow with the Ecoboost it sure as hell isn’t quick, and the transmission is laggy even in sport mode
- high beltline
- low res CarPlay implementation and no back to Sync hard button as noted one post up (edit: one post up on NASIOC, not here)
- no driver aids
- no cooled seats

Verdict: Pretty good as far as rentals go, and it fits the Shuttle with the front wheel pulled off.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So it turns out the existence of the dealer’s “but the DMV received the paperwork on 8/9 so what’s the problem?” email is actually sufficient for the DMV to grant yet another 30 day temp tag for the Volvo.

This is good since the DMV per discussion with 311 today is still processing paperwork from 7/30 and 8/1. It’s highly unlikely my Volvo-provided rental to 8/29 would have been sufficient.

30 days from now should be, and indeed if the paperwork is in by 9/7 then I can complete registration via the phone/311 and not waste another hour of my day!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Need to bribe you to borrow/low rent your shockwiz
I’m still setting up the rear shock. With switching settings and pressures it didn’t have enough data to give a score or recommendations for everything after today’s ride(s). Might be done with that process after Monday’s riding, and then it’ll be fair game for you and the other locals.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
This is entirely on the Illinois dealer. A local dealer wouldn’t be expected to be as incompetent, and the car itself is fine...
wild idea here.
why dont you just return the car, and buy it from a local dealer?

or better yet, buy a lexus?
thats a pretty expensive xc40, in terms of testicular-pain-dollars.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wild idea here.
why dont you just return the car, and buy it from a local dealer?

or better yet, buy a lexus?
thats a pretty expensive xc40, in terms of testicular-pain-dollars.
If there were a mechanism where I could return it I certainly would have during this past month. But since I'm on the hook for the lease...

I think it should all work out in the next month...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Corrected Helltrack definition, for the record/for my use when choosing my route and defining the segment tomorrow:

- Belcher from the top, just after the Belcher/Mustang split
- down to Maverick, over to Longhorn, down to the creek as usual
- up from the creek, over on Whippletree, down Belcher
- doesn't end at the 1st creek but continues, ending at the end of the rock garden right before the road jump lower gate

(So it's basically the whole mountain from top to bottom!)

:rock:

I'm also going to head up a different way, to copy a route I saw from that Helltrack segment's overarching ride:

- up Belcher
- pass Whippletree
- up Longhorn from the base of Infierno
- up Shorthorn
- up upper Longhorn to Maverick
- keep on heading up Longhorn to the upper parking lot
- up the road to the switchbacks to the top of Belcher
- end of climbing here/start of Helltrack

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unedited Helltrack footage:

Probably more watchable, downhill sections only:

The full one shows the e-bike experience well, though. Faster up? Yes. Still fundamentally biking? Yes..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An update on the Volvo saga:

- still can't register it, as confirmed via phone with the Denver DMV (but they're still processing paperwork from 8/8-8/10 variously so maybe soon? maybe?)
- Volvo promised to pay for rentals through today, so I rented through today and submitted my paperwork for reimbursement tonight
- have a CO temp tag valid through 9/21…

So I guess the upside is that at least I can drive it for the better part of a month?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'd tell Volvo to go pound sand, that you consider the agreement void due to their non-execution of their responsibilities, and that you'll be dropping off that unuseable car at the nearest dealer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd tell Volvo to go pound sand, that you consider the agreement void due to their non-execution of their responsibilities, and that you'll be dropping off that unuseable car at the nearest dealer.
I really wish I could do this, but I fear that I'd still be on the hook for 32 more lease payments whether I had the car in my possession or not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Driving back from picking up Thai takeout I saw a post refresh (so 2016+) 200 series with front and rear ARB bumpers, a winch up front, sliders, and what looked like 34-35” meats.

Not a single scratch on its side or speck of dust on it. Driver was a white woman, about 35, sunglasses/tan/highlights in hair as is de rigeur.

:unamused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had to fill up the PacHy after the traffic-filled slog to Colorado Springs. Last time I filled it up was April 29. Apparently a 33 mile nominal electric range works pretty well with our lifestyle (and the level 2 EVSE on the garage wall).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The dealer came back with a “$33-34k” tradein estimate on the 2018 PacHy. (Recall that $36k would be where I’d have driven it for a year essentially for free after tax credits.)

:notbadobama:
The 2019 PacHy I have on order will probably arrive mid-October as did the 2018 last year. I thought it'd be prudent to pen down the dealer to a firm appraisal on paper given that this is creeping up and I had some time.

Turns out it's a good thing I did so, as their (emailed in July) "$33-34k" as above magically changed into $29k when actually on an actionable sheet of paper.

From what things are listed for on cars.com and the like I'm pretty sure I can get $35k+ as a private seller. The only complication is the underwater lien (not truly underwater due to the $12.5k in tax credits). I'll probably have to pay it down to at least the $35k mark, if not pay off the whole thing to make the transaction simple (but then potentially have an extra car lying around for a month or two).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Spotted on the way to Thai tonight (near the theater for Spider-Man: Homecoming):

- 360 Modena
- R35 GT-R, the latter apparently eating here, too

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Spotted a very clean BMW 2002 on the way back from White Ranch today. Very nice. /borat

In today’s episode of schadenfreude, I managed to break the e-bike. Snapped off some internal piece on the left hand “shifter” pod (used to shift between assist modes), solely through my Hulk strength. With it broken I was stuck in the same mode for all of today’s ride, which was fine since I had started out and remained in Trail Mode. This means that on subsequent power cycles I can’t shift out of what it defaults to on power on, though, which is Off.

So this Saturday I’ll be on my 5010! Just as well since I need to Shockwiz it up before my enforced no-electric riding up in Beaver Creek at the end of this month (Forest Service regs). Never got good data from the Shockwiz for the rear of the Shuttle—not sure what’s up with that.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my enforced no-electric riding up in Beaver Creek at the end of this month (Forest Service regs)
In confirming my impression of the Forest Service regulations to be true (it is true) I found this:

http://theloamwolf.com/2018/04/18/usfs-mammoth-bike-park-first-in-the-country-to-allow-e-bikes/

Mammoth Bike Park, which operates under a Special Use Permit as do all of the bike/ski resorts afaik, was granted permission by the USFS to allow class 1 e-bikes* to operate within park boundaries. Said boundaries are all on USFS land as implied by the SUP.

This to me implies that in coming years Winter Park and perhaps even Beaver Creek and Vail will amend their SUPs and grant such access as well. But that time hasn't come for Colorado resorts yet, or anywhere on USFS land save for Mammoth Bike Park.

* Class 1 e-bikes are those like my Pivot Shuttle. 20 mph max assist speed (nothing stopping you from going faster due to pedaling like a chimp or via gravity), 250W power limit, pedal assist only/no throttle independent from the pedal torque sensors.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I managed to break the e-bike. Snapped off some internal piece on the left hand “shifter” pod (used to shift between assist modes), solely through my Hulk strength.
And then I fixed it on my own today. Apparently there's a fiddly pivoting piece of plastic with a post that fits into a correspondingly tiny hole on the shift lever. This is presumably to allow extra travel when the lever is prodded such that it'd try to exceed its normal range of motion. I popped that piece back into place and now modes can be switched once more.

Note to self: be gentle with these Di2 shifters...