Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The time comes to think of the kids’ skis for next season.

Aya was on 70 cm Amazon-special “Yuki” skis. As I posted about above their construction was crap and the core is stripped out where the brakes and heel part of the bindings attach. Aya is small so may well still be in her 14.5 Mondo boots next season, so I ordered her some 80 cm Blizzard Pearl Jr skis, as they seem to adjust down to the 194 mm BSL that I need. (The next size up already in my shed is 92 cm and at her size that’d be far too big for age 4.)

Yuna was on 108 cm Pearl Jrs herself this year. She’ll probably move to Mariko’s current 120 cm Dynastar setup for next year. We likely already have boots in the shed that’ll fit her, too, from her current 19.5. Easy enough.

Mariko is tougher. She’d like to race alpine but that program seems too much of a commitment: 8:30-3:30 instead of 9-3, unsupervised hour long lunch, and competitions all over the state albeit optional. I think sticking with Devo for another season will suit her just fine and she’ll get better all around.

She’s currently 53” and 60 lb. Next season she’ll probably be 55-56” and 65-70 lb then, so her 120 cm long effective edge length Dynastars will need to be supplanted by 135-140 cm planks, which is a hole in the current ski-shed lineup. Something not super soft (but still kid appropriate given her light weight) would be good. 140 cm would be fine with a bit of rocker to shorten the effective edge. Too bad there exist basically no good reviews of kid skis, only manufacturer blurbs…

Ones that I found in this size range that are all-mountain oriented (not center mounted park grom skis or frontside only ones) and not super soft “my first skis” fare:

Rossignol Black Ops Dreamer
Volkl Mantra Jr
Volkl Revolt Jr
K2 Mindbender Jr
Blizzard Cochise Team (note distinction from the Twin w/binding variant that seems of the “my first ski” kind)
Blizzard Rustler Team
Blizzard Sheeba Team

@rideit or @Nick do you have any experience with such pre-teen kid ski varieties such as the above? I think I’ll give Powder7 a call to see if they have any thoughts, too.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
B411560E-2B33-4227-94FA-3102CC31717F.jpeg

7BFD1D0A-3DBC-444E-87DF-811C5B5E9574.jpeg

E510D3AA-E2AF-4D1D-AF7E-FDE7D061C8D8.jpeg

Out with the old jankiness

FBC814D2-EF15-4B8E-A351-D60B0E88EDC2.jpeg

in with LEDs. Two selectable color temperatures.

One of the chandelier tops, the very top part that is flush to the ceiling, was chock full of dead bugs. Not swallow bugs, just flies and the like. I will spare you all the photo of that. I sprayed the outlet box up there thoroughly with chemicals.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The lights were the last thing I think was requested by Vacasa before the very long-delayed onboarding photo shoot.

In prior weeks I'd changed side and coffee tables, updated the side table lights to be uniform and modern, added white comforter covers for all of the beds, plus the other stuff (swallow bug removal, the second and last treatment of which will be in 8 days; paint; couches indoors and deck furniture for outside; the decks and railings themselves; swallow extravaganza; heat pump).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko is tougher. She’d like to race alpine but that program seems too much of a commitment: 8:30-3:30 instead of 9-3, unsupervised hour long lunch, and competitions all over the state albeit optional. I think sticking with Devo for another season will suit her just fine and she’ll get better all around.

She’s currently 53” and 60 lb. Next season she’ll probably be 55-56” and 65-70 lb then, so her 120 cm long effective edge length Dynastars will need to be supplanted by 135-140 cm planks, which is a hole in the current ski-shed lineup. Something not super soft (but still kid appropriate given her light weight) would be good. 140 cm would be fine with a bit of rocker to shorten the effective edge. Too bad there exist basically no good reviews of kid skis, only manufacturer blurbs…

Ones that I found in this size range that are all-mountain oriented (not center mounted park grom skis or frontside only ones) and not super soft “my first skis” fare:

Rossignol Black Ops Dreamer
Volkl Mantra Jr
Volkl Revolt Jr
K2 Mindbender Jr
Blizzard Cochise Team (note distinction from the Twin w/binding variant that seems of the “my first ski” kind)
Blizzard Rustler Team
Blizzard Sheeba Team

@rideit or @Nick do you have any experience with such pre-teen kid ski varieties such as the above? I think I’ll give Powder7 a call to see if they have any thoughts, too.
I called Powder7 today and Blizzard is sold out at their distributor, apparently, so what stock they have is what is available. They didn't have Sheeba Team in 140 cm (Mariko's favorite color pattern) but did have the Rustler Team in 140 cm.

I asked them re demo bindings (120 mm range of adjustment) versus just the inherent 30 mm in the heel piece on non-demo bindings, and 30 mm should be enough to cover her for next year + even what she should be in as an adult based on the size of my wife. Thus I ended up with this for her:

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 4.37.55 PM.png

Yellow bindings to be like my yellow Look Pivot 14s. (Look Pivots proper are out of the question for her since they have about 6 mm of adjustment capability for BSL! plus most of them don't go down low enough in DIN for what she'll need, which is about 3.5.) Those bindings are GripWalk compatible via that GW bit in their name, so she can get comfier-to-walk-in boots next fall, potentially Nordica HF Elite W fancy rear-entry ones.

Hell, even if she goes for Apex boots at some point then she'll fit. 281 and 291 BSL for Mondo 23 and 24 Apex boots, longer than one would expect because the exoskeleton is exo and all.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I called Powder7 today and Blizzard is sold out at their distributor, apparently, so what stock they have is what is available. They didn't have Sheeba Team in 140 cm (Mariko's favorite color pattern) but did have the Rustler Team in 140 cm.

I asked them re demo bindings (120 mm range of adjustment) versus just the inherent 30 mm in the heel piece on non-demo bindings, and 30 mm should be enough to cover her for next year + even what she should be in as an adult based on the size of my wife. Thus I ended up with this for her:

View attachment 173787

Yellow bindings to be like my yellow Look Pivot 14s. (Look Pivots proper are out of the question for her since they have about 6 mm of adjustment capability for BSL! plus most of them don't go down low enough in DIN for what she'll need, which is about 3.5.) Those bindings are GripWalk compatible via that GW bit in their name, so she can get comfier-to-walk-in boots next fall, potentially Nordica HF Elite W fancy rear-entry ones.

Hell, even if she goes for Apex boots at some point then she'll fit. 281 and 291 BSL for Mondo 23 and 24 Apex boots, longer than one would expect because the exoskeleton is exo and all.
Those are nicer bindings than mine. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A sane price for a Turbo. A 996 Turbo, mind you, but still.

is nature healing?!
Sane price because auto and that interior wood treatment. :bad::bad:

Did this engine suffer from the IMS bearing failures? No mention of that in the description..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's one clean interior! Wheelbase looks oddly long. Longboi, like how F-150 SuperCab 6.5' beds a la Watz's look like they have their rear axle too far back due to an accident.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
She digs them. I think we’ll go up Sunday for the day—got some minor errands to do at the house anyway.

BBC42AFD-0BBE-4FAC-AEA8-178BC3BB270B.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Gandalf the Grey
Tigger (very orange)
Simba (somewhat orange, the ornery one)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do you need Search and Rescue or are you resigned to being snowed in until spring thaw?
Packed up last night and drove back home! I was worried the heavy snow was starting to stick so called it. (Thus me being able to post, from home.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is a strange wide solution for handlebar vs other cargo bikes I have seen?
I can only imagine what the steering is like. Is it a rowing motion?
Each pivots independently about the axis of its shaft, the vertical part. Front wheels connected via a cross bar underneath.

it works ok. The weirdest part is the ATV style turning without leaning feeling. I like to get it up on the outside wheel for kicks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A Children’s Treasury of photos from my time in the snow up at GGCSP.

189F4A20-7B8F-4D00-97B8-779ADCEDCA9D.jpeg

Snau last night. Was snowing quite hard so I made the call and we bailed. The funny nose down attitude of the car is because the jacks were fully extended in the front due to a slightly sloping campsite.

Parked it out front here overnight then did the surprisingly long process of unpacking, cleaning it (didn’t get dinged for any of the security deposit—was very muddy near entry due to snow/mud hike), refilling propane ($6 worth at U-Haul), dumping the tanks ($18 at a Golden RV park as both GGCSP and Cherry Creek SP had their dump sites closed!), then parking it in the rental company lot and getting it unhitched. I had gassed up right before picking up the trailer and did so after, and the damage was 9.4 mpg. $70 of fuel for our trip up to the foothills.

Unhitching was actually not trivial: brand new trailer and brand new E2 weight distributing anti sway hitch. Something in the hitch was just not letting my big polished metal ball go. A rental company employee helped me out and still it took much jiggling and jacking. Anyway, where was this story going hmm

ECC69931-A78F-48C1-AAE3-8BDAF01608D5.jpeg
11390C5C-B790-4EE3-95F2-2DC3B8961BF4.jpeg
1A742CE1-7054-4DC9-8218-102C71B79229.jpeg
740542D8-BA06-4759-927A-59C66D43149C.jpeg
21AA1FC1-A87D-4729-BB42-CD41D8E4E388.jpeg
5442EB3B-C743-436B-A43F-28AB7CD56A96.jpeg
A1CEACEF-384C-4B8B-B0F1-9BF79095B617.jpeg

Sights from the campsite and on snowy Raccoon Trail. It wasn’t all snowed in, just more picturesque there.

Kids liked being in the trailer. It was about what I expected: cramped, poorly put together, and with the noisy furnace as warned by gff. Not having a mud room type area to shed muddy footwear was a pain. I put down a sacrificial bath towel stop the stairs but still it was a bit of a mess.

The bunks and converted dinette worked well enough for the kids, but the noise and the 60 x 72” pseudo Queen made it not ideal for us adults. The lack of water in the winterized trailer was also a pain, admittedly my fault for choosing this time of year. Manual leveling jacks are a pain. The slide also malfunctioned a bit on this new trailer! Bottom part of it came in about 1” less than the top ultimately, causing the bottom trim inside to foul on the ground a bit when it was put in. Quality.

Will I do this again? Kids want to for some reason, but I think I’ll stick with the hotel and mountain house life.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I didn’t include much on the actual towing, now that I read it. The Land Cruiser worked ok.

I had to kick it into 1st (and plodded along a bit in low range even!) on the steep, unpaved way in: from Coal Creek Canyon Road then heading over the top of the park. On the way back via 119 and 6 it was fine, though. Lots of time in 4th gear at freeway speeds with occasional pulls in 3rd gear.

Not sure if it was a tension issue on the weight distributing hitch or just the 112” wheelbase + soft off-road suspension tune but on certain surfaces I got a lot of medium frequency small amplitude porpoising, front-back rocking. No sway issues at all, at least, and the trailer brake controller worked fine.

With the trailer unladen (4,260 lb and 596 lb hitch weight) and the Land Cruiser empty then the air bags on the rear axle kept it at normal height. With the trailer loaded up (no water in the tanks but lots of gear, noting a 6,000 lb GVW on the trailer so 900 lb or so hitch weight) and all 5 of us in the Land Cruiser then it couldn’t keep it at the neutral height position. This had happened before when towing my old Leaf on a U-Haul wheels up car carrier and jibes with the LC’s 1,500 lb payload rating.

So I definitely can’t tow anything heavier/bigger with this! All the more reason to toss the Land Cruiser up on Bring a Trailer once something else 3 rows and AWD catches my fancy and is available. Kia EV9, or a second ID Buzz to match the one I’m planning on for the wife?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just shy of 11 months from closing to getting it listed as a short term rental. Finally.

587878C3-80F3-4469-BD75-05F4974E698F.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I shall look forward to a major FR dump in the next 1-2 weeks. :thumb:
They're AT, not MT. They even have the mountain snowflake on the sidewall.

Wife's minivan will be up a creek if there's more than a few inches, though.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
A Children’s Treasury of photos from my time in the snow up at GGCSP.

View attachment 174282

Snau last night. Was snowing quite hard so I made the call and we bailed. The funny nose down attitude of the car is because the jacks were fully extended in the front due to a slightly sloping campsite.

Parked it out front here overnight then did the surprisingly long process of unpacking, cleaning it (didn’t get dinged for any of the security deposit—was very muddy near entry due to snow/mud hike), refilling propane ($6 worth at U-Haul), dumping the tanks ($18 at a Golden RV park as both GGCSP and Cherry Creek SP had their dump sites closed!), then parking it in the rental company lot and getting it unhitched. I had gassed up right before picking up the trailer and did so after, and the damage was 9.4 mpg. $70 of fuel for our trip up to the foothills.

Unhitching was actually not trivial: brand new trailer and brand new E2 weight distributing anti sway hitch. Something in the hitch was just not letting my big polished metal ball go. A rental company employee helped me out and still it took much jiggling and jacking. Anyway, where was this story going hmm

View attachment 174283View attachment 174284View attachment 174285View attachment 174286View attachment 174287View attachment 174288View attachment 174289

Sights from the campsite and on snowy Raccoon Trail. It wasn’t all snowed in, just more picturesque there.

Kids liked being in the trailer. It was about what I expected: cramped, poorly put together, and with the noisy furnace as warned by gff. Not having a mud room type area to shed muddy footwear was a pain. I put down a sacrificial bath towel stop the stairs but still it was a bit of a mess.

The bunks and converted dinette worked well enough for the kids, but the noise and the 60 x 72” pseudo Queen made it not ideal for us adults. The lack of water in the winterized trailer was also a pain, admittedly my fault for choosing this time of year. Manual leveling jacks are a pain. The slide also malfunctioned a bit on this new trailer! Bottom part of it came in about 1” less than the top ultimately, causing the bottom trim inside to foul on the ground a bit when it was put in. Quality.

Will I do this again? Kids want to for some reason, but I think I’ll stick with the hotel and mountain house life.
Glad the kiddos enjoyed it, after-all, thats the goal.

Rent yourself a class A next time and it will be much more enjoyable. No towing, more room, better components, auto leveling, but mostly a real king size bed for the adults and more space for the crotch goblins and electric heat that is nearly silent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Federal tax overpayment return hit on 4/1. Just noticed it today.

:)

:notbadobama:

(filed on 3/12, when form 8911 became available. Claimed the big $$$ losses from my nascent rental house business.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A bit of sanity returning to the Porsche market?

110k miles and driver condition, but that almost seems reasonable.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A bit of sanity returning to the Porsche market?

110k miles and driver condition, but that almost seems reasonable.
I never noticed those ugly black bumper things on the front, I assume thats NA only?