Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:

check this out.. this sunday afternoon..
drag racing as usual somewhere 40km south of lima... and this dude (who usually shows up in a ferrari, and probably got tired of having his ferrari spanked) brings a gun to a knife fight...

he built his own dragster, 100% made in a local shop, with a big block bored to god knows how much, he said its putting out 820hp no nitro....
lol, gotta love South America.. not only using slicks year round with no cats or open headers and racing on public roads, and paying cops to close the traffic so we can race... now a kid brings a homemade dragster to the street...

that car was demolishing skylines gtr, 700hp supras (all street driven cars) by several car lenghts on a dirty rd :-)eek: for racing on dirty roads with that car)...
lol, one of those racing on the street, that just got ridiculous.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i see that he chose to run toyota camry 15" alloys up front for their excellent performance characteristics ;)

edit: make that 15" steel wheels + hubcaps. cool car tho :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
At long last the ski season has returned. On friday (the 28th) Killington posted the message "Mother nature has spoken, Killington will open october 29th at 8am" (or something along those lines). Mother nature was, of course, referring to the storm that dumped over three feet at the summit over the last week. Since I can't resist a powder day, Thad and I met my friend Mike for some tracks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's a cool shot, tim. i was sort of trying for a similar high contrast/washed out look with the halloween pics, but wimped out and did a "normal" treatment, just pushing the exposure a little bit.

i don't even have a bike rack for my new car btw... :dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmmmm :think:

mt. baker ski report (http://mtbaker.us/snowreport/index.html) said:
24 hour Snowfall: 18 in 46 cm
Base at Heather Meadows: 72 in 183 cm
Base at Pan Dome: 88 in 224 cm

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thought of the night:

autocross and especially autox driving school has made me a better GT4 driver

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cut 'n paste from xanga. (it looks like an alternator problem, no?)

me said:
my car broke down in a rather interesting fashion today. unfortunately, this happened as i was driving from mt. baker, trying to get back to seattle in time to see the seattle symphony do brahms 1. (i just got back in, so missed my mark by about 4 hours...)

what first happened was that my radar detector started going nuts, turning itself on and off at will and with increasing frequency. i figured that it simply didn't like the cold, and unplugged it. next the dashboard clock started to look a little faint. it has never been a paragon of electronics excellence itself with its high class radio shack roots, so i wrote it off to chance and weather as well. the ABS light then lit up. given that the snow and ice lining the road to baker might lead to some undue variation in wheelspeed i again rationalized its presence. but then the tach and speedometer suddenly swept to 0 (even as i drove down the road at trivially non-zero speeds and rpms), the headlights started to dim and the stereo went out, and i realized something was wrong.

i started to make plans in my head, figuring that i could creep back to seattle with my dim, yellow headlights by judging my speed on the tone of the engine and still make it to the concert in time. but as i calculated the time necessary to return the car made up its mind, and its new found resolve was expressed through the check engine light, whose first, tentative flickers later melded into a continuous, assertive illumination.

at this point the engine died outright and the steering and brakes lost their assist, luckily just as i pulled off the road.

so i was stuck off the side of a mountain highway with darkness rapidly approaching, and with no cell phone reception to boot. luckily i recognized the headlights of one of my friends, and soon i had two cars for company. chris's cell phone worked where mine had failed, and an AAA flatbed was summoned (which eventually towed my car 129 miles back to seattle!). in the time until it arrived, doug, kristel, and reuben were kind enough to stick around and wait with me, and we played travel boggle and made up nonsensical ghost stories in the car. basically, thanks to the help of my friends a possibly very ugly situation was turned into one merely inconvenient.

and just for the record the skiing was good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lack of subscription emails has really killed this thread :(

anyway, my "riding" news for this week is that i scored a used set of 245/45/16 kumho v700 victoracers. this. is. awesome. why? this was the size i was hoping to run. and they are FREE. and are R compounds. which means i can have some fun in Street Modified until they wear out...

plus there's a very good chance i'll be doing a nutrition study which will provide me with free food for four months starting in january. (so if i do this i'll certainly be able to afford to replace these with a fresh set of R compounds. :) <-- i'm easy to please eh)

finally, my coilovers will be installed this week. they're D2, taiwanese knockoffs, but with camber plates front and rear and bought for a good price, used. -3.4ish camber up front, -1.0 or so in back, big swaybars front and rear (24 and 22mm) + R compounds is going to be super fun this upcoming season. :thumb:

and a random pic:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my car started out slammed, but the wrong way (with too-low lowering springs, completely unadjustable):

and after the first of two wheel swaps, still on lowering springs, note how the rear tires were actually tucked up inside the fenders. gross, not good for handling at all, and easily scraped on speed bumps and the like

so i raised it back up to stock height by swapping in OEM '03 WRX springs. however, by some peculiarity of these springs the front of the car ended up sky high. enter coilovers, height adjustable, and damping adjustable in 36 increments (as opposed to the 4 on the AGXs, not that the number of clicks is really reflective of performance). and after some elbow grease now the car sits as it should, not too high and not too low.

:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
Nice Toshi!! :thumb:

Are those Prodrive wheels or Rota SDR's? How many set of wheels do you have?
thanks, luc. those are the Prodrive PFF7: 18x8" with 235/40/18 ContiExtremes on them. unfortunately they're also cast and around 21 lbs if not a little more iirc. but that's ok since i still have the black rota slipstreams, which have been verified to be a a svelte 13 and change (and which now have the aforementioned 245/45/16 Victoracers on them :drool: ).

i traded the gold STi BBS wheels/summer tires for the Prodrives/all seasons, so i have two sets of wheels.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going skiing in a few minutes. :) 33" of fresh snow over the last 5 days where i'm headed... (crystal mt.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
so how was the skiing?
it was a solid day. unfortunately there were some rocks exposed on one narrow double black run (the only way to get down from one particular lift), but the damage is nothing that rei and some p-tex can't patch up. in a few days/weeks i should have some video footage of me and the rest of the gang. expect quality on par with that of the autox video :dead: :D