Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you might just have it adjusted horribly wrong? :D it definitely is supposed to be grey, and shows up as such here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For auction: 1 M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI Virtual Studio, and Digidesign Pro Tools M-Powered 6.8.

(The 1010LT is a PCI audio card with 8 in/8 out analog, 2 XLR mic inputs with built in preamps, S/PDIF digital in/out. And Pro Tools is, well, Pro Tools. Except M-Powered only works with particular M-audio cards, this one included.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7382381714

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Also note that these products are educational versions, and as such you should only bid on this auction if you're a student, a faculty member, or otherwise associated with an elementary, middle, high school, or university.
so are you gonna ask for a scan of their current ID? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i did that on an auction long ago, and the guy sent in an overexposed photo of his id, sized about 150x100 pixels. i couldn't make out ANYTHING on it. i deemed it sufficient. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i won my class at the autocross today, so now have two novice victories and one in modified B under my belt. :) got a free t-shirt for this win, even.

on the other hand, i spun on my first run and hit the reflector for the timing light. while going backwards. :dead: oops.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
video of me and kutta (a ms ski buddy, drives an STI -- good taste :D) from way back when, dec 12 at crystal mountain. since then i've donned the full face helmet and changed my style to be not so "pretty", with a wider stance, more aggressive edging, and more power in general.
i don't see no dem dere darn full face

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
woohoo, went sailing for the first time since high school, on a laser. the winds were 10-20 kts today, and were quite a handful at times. because they were (and are going to be tomorrow) so strong as compared to the 7 kt novice windspeed limit i think i'll be allowed to jump right up to the intermediate rating. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
no intermediate rating for me :( , as the winds died down. we didn't even sail in the afternoon, just sat around and listened to old sea tales and discussed the merits of different kinds of knots, etc.

the "highlight" of the day was my wet capsize test. i need a wetsuit or a drysuit: it's fine when you stay dry but once you get in the water you get really cold immediately. :dead:

on the upside i went straight from that (after derigging) to a hot shower, and now i officially have a novice single handed rating, so can go out alone on days with wimpy wind and can go out with a chief or instructor on more worthy days to earn higher ratings.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So, as you may or may not know, in addition to work I am also putting in some time at MGH. Here's some cool stuff i did today with an imaging tool I'm evaluating for them.

And here's a movie I made too. The video gets a little choppy when I move the slices since this process challenges the dual 1.8, 3GB machine to do volumetric selection and encode and run everything else I'm running at the same time. Should be much smoother when my 12-proc SGI gets up and running...

http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~tsze/video/BrainModel3.mov

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's awesome! i'd love to work on that, and indeed would have, had i not been rejected by the md/phd folks (as of last thursday)

:dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
you might just have it adjusted horribly wrong? :D it definitely is supposed to be grey, and shows up as such here.
weird. i'm on a school lab computer (so windows/ie) and the grey is most definitely a vivid green here as well. bizarre. maybe it is a ie bug? colors in general look kind of wack, however -- the grey in the toolbar looks to have a yellowish tinge to it, for instance.

for those of you who scan this thread hoping for actual ride pics i can offer no solace. however, there will be more sporting videos in the future, as i ordered up the following from b&h:

- sony dcr-hc32 minidv camcorder (it's the bottom of the line sony, which should be more than sufficient for making little web-size movies)

- sony spk-hcr "sport pak". it's a case for the camcorder that is waterproof down to 5m yet allows for microphone and control useage. i pretty much chose the camcorder around this case, as at $130 it is a lot cheaper than other waterproof cases.

- stickypod suction cup mount. rated up to 110 mph useage!

possible applications for this setup:

1) skiing videos, aided by the water- and shock-resistance of the case. i am positive that the video quality will be far superior than that of the compact point 'n shoot digicam that is responsible for the previous videos.

2) car videos, whether autocross, country roads (i found a nifty backroads loop here near town), or track days. in particular i'm doing a driving school/high performance driver education class on march 11, so expect footage from that. oh, i'm also hoping to make it to a few rallycrosses (autocrosses on dirt basically), and that could be really fun to watch. or really boring. we shall see.

3) sailing videos. probably won't be interesting to watch for anyone except myself, but if the suction cups will stick to the laser's deck i'll grab footage on a windy day or three.

i guess it could be used for biking as well, but i don't seem to be doing much of that lately apart from riding the 4 mi to class, and that's about as boring as it gets.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
i guess it could be used for biking as well, but i don't seem to be doing much of that lately apart from riding the 4 mi to class, and that's about as boring as it gets.
You could suction cup that mount plate to your back and point the camera over your head for some nice road bike commuter street racing vids.:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
sailing videos...toshi, do you have yr application into the exclusive yacht clubs yet? :D
uw actually has its own yacht club. $110 yearly dues, and in return you get to check out any boat for which you have an appropriate rating, and take lessons, both for free.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
for those of you who scan this thread hoping for actual ride pics i can offer no solace. however, there will be more sporting videos in the future, as i ordered up the following from b&h:
ugh. stupid sony camcorder (or stupid imovie HD): somehow the camcorder was recognized, could be controlled (as in play, rewind, etc.) but could not actually send the video to the computer via firewire. it worked exactly once, out of innumerable attempts, and that was only in ichat -- it never imported video into imovie successfully.

i thought apple was supposed to be good at this kind of thing? :think: the sad part is that these troubles cropped up only with the latest generation of sony camcorders and the latest iteration of quicktime + imovie HD. too bad that's exactly what i wanted to run.

disillusioned by this experience i'm going to return the whole setup. no chintzy shots of the yacht club, sorry.

:dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
It only took two months, but I finally got around to posting my Vacation pics from Italy and Switzerland.

Teaser:
http://www.phoben.com/photos/archive/2005/2005_12_21/fullSize/Img_7476.jpg

The rest.
ooh, purdy :thumb: . your left-hand-pane-scrolling script sucks, btw :D. or safari sucks. one or the other: after clicking the down arrow then the up arrow it just jitters around about 10 pixels, and i can't figure out how to make it stop.

ones i particularly like/time to kill your server :devil:

phallic mountain?

too bad about the sign. and the poles. and that rope-fence thing. hehe

interesting idea

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
pics from my tune/dyno day to come in a bit, btw :thumb: . the car put down 283 whp / 262 wtk (on a dynojet, a conservative reading dyno generally speaking)...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
ooh, purdy :thumb: . your left-hand-pane-scrolling script sucks, btw :D. or safari sucks. one or the other: after clicking the down arrow then the up arrow it just jitters around about 10 pixels, and i can't figure out how to make it stop.
I'd vote for safari sucking, but I think I might have figured out why it's screwing up on you. It works on thad's Safari, but it did before... Try it now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
phoben, sweet shots (at least the ones toshi cross-linked). i'll be in Rome in a few months...what lens should i buy to maximize my photographic joy? at this point i've only got the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm prime for my rebel xt.