http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/rusty001/107/pic23281.jpg
very cool! :thumb: those are some wickedly green trees in the lower left, too

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Toshi said:
very cool! :thumb: those are some wickedly green trees in the lower left, too
I saw them on another website. I don't think I've posted in this thread till now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stosh said:
I saw them on another website. I don't think I've posted in this thread till now.
you are correct:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=16951
whoposted said:
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 2,642
User Name Posts
Toshi 1353
WTGPhoben 447
Quadari 298
Barbaton 244
kingLatency 49
narlus 34
prophet6 27
TWISTED 24
SwisSlesS 19
ALEXIS_DH 19
Acadian 16
zane 16
hans2 11
endtroducing 8
splat 7
BostonBullit 6
Skookum 6
flymybike 3
LoboDelFuego 3
stevew 3
Big_Papa1080 2
crape42 2
jace 2
ohio 2
Gunner 2
Westy 2
Lizard0fthetrai 2
I Are Baboon 2
chicodude 2
stosh 2
k-thug 2
deroyo 2
l008com 2
LOOnatic 1
Tenaciousle0 1
dw 1
stringcheese 1
ruckerz 1
wooglin 1
endoing 1
TickTock 1
Instigator 1
Total Heckler 1
Highlander 1
Mtb_Rob_FL 1
motomike 1
MtnBikerNJ 1
N8 1
Motionboy2 1
Gleeke 1
Mike B. 1
YUSAVAGE 1
Chuckwagon 1
TimeBomb 1
stinkyboy 1
WheelieMan 1

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm off to whistler until sat :cool: . i don't think i'm going to bring the camera tho. going to concentrate on getting as much actual skiing time as possible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
back from whistler. snow positively sucked, but good times were had by all nevertheless. i took my GS race skis to the terrain park... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
I'm glad they spent so much money building an awsome factory to build a car with no market. :)
after spending a good amount of time in modded cars with all sorts of tire, wind, engine, exhaust noise (my old Z, now this WRX) i've decided that my future street cars will be all really quiet, boring vehicles. loud cars will be trailered to the track :oink:

(point being that the phaeton is quiet and solid if nothing else)

sig storage for a year: :D come get your avatars santa hatted up

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
after spending a good amount of time in modded cars with all sorts of tire, wind, engine, exhaust noise (my old Z, now this WRX) i've decided that my future street cars will be all really quiet, boring vehicles. loud cars will be trailered to the track :oink:

(point being that the phaeton is quiet and solid if nothing else)

sig storage for a year: :D come get your avatars santa hatted up
I sat in a Phaeton at the auto show here. Coolest damn hydrolic cup holders I've ever seen. Nice car, but selling it in a price bracket higher than the A8 is dumb.

I never got around to asking you to santa hat my tiger... :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

it's finally snowing at the west coast mountains! after days of warm rain...

also, any thoughts on full face helmet use on the mountain? i don't want to spend an outrageous sum on a ski/board helmet, and i think my unvented answer m8 might just be warm enough... and might have enough room inside for a hacked up helmet-headphone setup, again without the brand-name surcharge.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:

also, any thoughts on full face helmet use on the mountain? i don't want to spend an outrageous sum on a ski/board helmet, and i think my unvented answer m8 might just be warm enough... and might have enough room inside for a hacked up helmet-headphone setup, again without the brand-name surcharge.
A friend of mine found a RED helmet for $30 online. I think It has room for a hacked headphone setup too.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:

you really need a full-face for skiing? you doing a lot of freestyle jumping? i've got a 3/4 that's plenty warm, could take headphones, and isn't enormous and doesn't look silly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
you really need a full-face for skiing? you doing a lot of freestyle jumping? i've got a 3/4 that's plenty warm, could take headphones, and isn't enormous and doesn't look silly.
but how much did it cost? my full face is free. probably even negative cost, as i should have replaced it a few whistler crashes ago

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
chicodude said:
I see no "ride pics" Lately.

Get to it, Dammit.
blame keith and thad, not me. i sold my bikes, remember? :dead: maybe i'll bust out the camera on the slopes this friday. we shall see.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
but how much did it cost? my full face is free. probably even negative cost, as i should have replaced it a few whistler crashes ago
i think it was about $80 at Snowbird in april (so probably was on sale). It's made by Carrera...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
i think it was about $80 at Snowbird in april (so probably was on sale). It's made by Carrera...
$80 could buy a tank of gas and lift ticket... wait a minute :dead:

i think i'll give it a try and see if i can stand the shame for commiting such a fashion faux pas. or maybe i'll be the start of a new trend, wait and see. i could always bust out the dainese and go for the look full bore...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
blame keith and thad, not me. i sold my bikes, remember? :dead: maybe i'll bust out the camera on the slopes this friday. we shall see.
It's cold and snowy out here this time of year. I'm working on somewhere in the vicinity of 100 piccs from my europe trip. When I post them you can imagine me riding my skis to the matterhorn before I took pictures of it. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
When I post them you can imagine me riding my skis to the matterhorn before I took pictures of it. :)
:confused:

what am i supposed to be imagining here? heh

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
:confused:

what am i supposed to be imagining here? heh
be creative... I could be sitting on them like a sled. Holding them upright and standing on the backs of the bindings to use them like stilts... the point was I don't think there are any pics of me actually skiing, as I took all the pics.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
while driving back home: my precious, it froze!
this wouldn't be that strange... ipods fail, i suppose
(but three of them died on me just this year, oh n0es!)

ok, enough of that, heh. long story short: ipod photo #3 failed on me today. #1 was purchased in august (!), so going through 3 in this period is quite horrendous. i asked for a refund, and was denied. however, speaking up did me some good, and my 30 GB ipod photo is going to be replaced by apple with a lovely black 30 GB ipod video, gratis (as were the other replacements, of course).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

just put in my 7th day on the slopes today. 8th planned for tomorrow :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
while driving back home: my precious, it froze!
this wouldn't be that strange... ipods fail, i suppose
(but three of them died on me just this year, oh n0es!)

ok, enough of that, heh. long story short: ipod photo #3 failed on me today. #1 was purchased in august (!), so going through 3 in this period is quite horrendous. i asked for a refund, and was denied. however, speaking up did me some good, and my 30 GB ipod photo is going to be replaced by apple with a lovely black 30 GB ipod video, gratis (as were the other replacements, of course).
wow, that's a horrendous streak...you still an iPod apologist? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
show me something else that works with my mac, has an intelligent system for organizing my 20 gb of music (which pales in comparison to yours, sure, but is still enough to be a handful :D), and has good local support... i had a choice of 4 or 5? apple stores within 20 miles, one within 3 miles, at which the faulty ipods could be swapped on the spot for fresh ones.

i do hope that the ipod video is more reliable than the ipod photo, however. hmph.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
show me something else that works with my mac, has an intelligent system for organizing my 20 gb of music (which pales in comparison to yours, sure, but is still enough to be a handful :D), and has good local support... i had a choice of 4 or 5? apple stores within 20 miles, one within 3 miles, at which the faulty ipods could be swapped on the spot for fresh ones.

i do hope that the ipod video is more reliable than the ipod photo, however. hmph.
so far my 30gb vid is doing great. I use it to and from work and on the subway every day and only have to charge it once a week or so. Make sure you keep it in the little sleeve tho because the acrylic body scratches easier than the old material.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i finally got a case for my wife's 20GB iPod as an xmas present...about 6 months too late. oh well.

i do like iTunes as an organizer; i use it to catalog my 450GB of stuff.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
From a friend's blog:

http://www.streammm.com said:
The iPod is an electronic gadget, but is consumed like a luxury sedan: once you have one, you keep upgrading, each time buying the most expensive one you can then afford. This is why, instead of stores, Apple has "showrooms." And soon, they'll start encrusting them with precious metals and stones-- they've already done this with cellular phones.

And, as with luxury cars, you have to keep bringing the iPod back to this dealer for service, because the rechargeable inevitably dies.

Apple has basically emulated Hewlett-Packard's ink jet printer business model.

The price of battery replacement has been empirically found to be the point where you'll think long and hard about forgoing it in favor of just getting a new, more advanced and more expensive iPod altogther. After all, that's how the Japanese do, and they're pretty smart. And you're already at the showroom, so the newer models are right there in front of you to tempt you.

And the people I know who do own iPods are so addicted to them that they end up going the new one route, if only to have something to which to listen while the battery on the old iPod is being replaced.

Owning an iPod is kind of like owning a Jaguar.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's bs. battery replacement is the same for every DAP out there, and my ipods (all four of them, including my 1G) suffered a cumulative failure of 1 battery, and that was after 3+ years of continuous use.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey Toshi, my Karma will turn 3 years old late next month, and the battery's still fine so far. it gets a lot of use, as well.

on a different subject, when you shoot low-light concert settings, are you using a prime lens? or a zoom?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
also keep in mind that i bought my first ipod on march 26, 2002, so your karma had 13 months of improved battery technology behind it (presumably, with timing from the ipod's birth date in nov 2001). :D <--- ever the apologist

i shoot all primes except for my super wide, the sigma 12-24. at f/4.5-5.6 and not sharp below f/9 or so, the 12-24 doesn't see indoor use without a flash. otherwise it's up to the 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 135/2, or, rarely, the 180/3.5 macro. the 28, 50, and 135 have all seen extensive indoor use without flash, and for concert purposes i'd consider the 135 the most useful.

28/1.8 = (Canon unless noted) 28mm f/1.8 USM
50/1.4 = 50mm f/1.4 USM
135/2 = 135mm f/2L USM
180/3.5 = Sigma 180mm f/3.5 HSM Macro