Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
may 3 cTotD: strauss "vier letzte lieder" / berlin / abbado / matilla.

now off to get my car dynoed. it won't match the previous 284/262 numbers since it's a lower reading dyno. STis put down 220-230 when stock on this dyno, i hear, so i'd be quite happy with 240 or 250...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ugh. disappointing results on the Mustang dyno today: 229 whp, 191 ft.-lbs. of torque, 24% lower than what i got on the Dynojet dyno in portland. the official word is that stock STis pull 229 on the nose so at least that's comforting. (Mustang and Dynojet are two different dyno manufacturers, and results vary, as you can see.)

there was more power to be had but the boost wasn't where it should have been -- i had it set to peak at 19 psi and taper to just shy of 17 psi at redline, but instead was seeing about 3 psi lower across the board. i'm not sure what this is showing.

http://tinyurl.com/kzza8 has the pics in any case.

in the dyno chart below:

pink = boost, axis is on the right.
black = air:fuel ratio, which you can ignore
blue = torque. at least this looks better (in terms of shape) than before in portland. now there's ~95% torque available from 3800-5400 rpm.
red = horsepower, again measured at the wheels. were it not for the weird disappearing-boost problem it would have climbed until redline instead of peaking at 5500 and going down as you see here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
the boost wasn't where it should have been -- i had it set to peak at 19 psi and taper to just shy of 17 psi at redline, but instead was seeing about 3 psi lower across the board. i'm not sure what this is showing.
and it looks like the low boost was my fault for coming up with a wack DTEC map. it worked fine on the road, but under the higher load of the dyno the duty cycles i came up with were insufficient. i'm going to try to head back tomorrow before heading up to whistler to see if i can put down some better numbers with proper boost control.

from 3rd gear pull on an onramp just now:

2755 rpm, 6.3 psi
3046 rpm, 8.0 psi
3121 rpm, 10.2 psi
3270 rpm, 12.4 psi
3360 rpm, 13.6 psi
3448 rpm, 14.3 psi
3564 rpm, 17.5 psi
3652 rpm, 18.0 psi

... followed by small fluctuations centered around 18 psi, ranging from 15.6 to 19.8, ending up with the following:
5657 rpm, 16.7 psi
5777 rpm, 18.2 psi
5864 rpm, 15.4 psi
5999 rpm, 17.1 psi
6092 rpm, 15.5 psi
6212 rpm, 18.3 psi

seeing 1 bar of boost by 3500 rpm is pretty decent considering that the car has the big front mount intercooler, as the turbo has to fill up all the space in the piping and the intercooler itself before the engine gets its share.

:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you are nuts, keith.

other thoughts of the moment:

- spring skiing at whistler is still a Good Thing(tm), but i've been spoiled by the good snow that we've had the rest of this season
- the halfpipe is harder than it looks! in both senses. luckily, i didn't fall...
- many pics to come after many pages to be written for class :dead:
- i had to break into my apartment by climbing on the roof! pics to come of this as well

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i finally have a bike rack once again... :) and just might go on an xc trail ride this weekend! shocking, i know.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
whoa: http://www.lotekkicks.com/lotek_mixtape1.mov

also, this is pretty cool. some poor photography, some awesome shots...: http://www.polarinertia.com/ . i particularly recommend casitas, border survey, and product murals from the bottom/current issue, and hong kong noodle shops, ephemeral city, oblivion, and hong kong housing from the left. i haven't delved through the archives yet...

until june 30 you can watch full episodes of some ABC shows for free: http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing . works under os x/safari, too.

a compilation of top gear video links: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152074

this site has some nifty line/watercolor drawings of old and recent subarus: http://www.subaru.co.jp/square/gallery/kabegami/bow/index.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i still have the old dbr axis xc bike kicking around in its best fully rigid 1996-vintage style. i haven't been on a xc ride in many, many moons, however. i also still have a road bike, and that gets regular use in my commute.

without the willing photo subjects of WTGPhoben or Barbaton at hand i just don't seem to take any riding pics any more...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Toshi said:
yeah, i still have the old dbr axis xc bike kicking around in its best fully rigid 1996-vintage style. i haven't been on a xc ride in many, many moons, however. i also still have a road bike, and that gets regular use in my commute.

without the willing photo subjects of WTGPhoben or Barbaton at hand i just don't seem to take any riding pics any more...

Why did you sell le big bikey? I really dug that canfield...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
chicodude said:
Why did you sell le big bikey? I really dug that canfield...
somewhere along the line i got old all of a sudden, and lost the desire to downhill. well, not so much lost the desire as that finger and shoulder pain that i'd have previously shrugged off suddenly became important in my mind. i only got up to whistler 4 times last summer, for instance, as opposed to the probably 30 times i made it up to whistler/the shore/post canyon the summer before that.

given that there are essentially no legal riding spots within washington and that i knew i'd be a lot busier this year (which has proved to be true) it made sense to dump the bike while i could still a decent return for it.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Toshi said:
somewhere along the line i got old all of a sudden, and lost the desire to downhill. well, not so much lost the desire as that finger and shoulder pain that i'd have previously shrugged off suddenly became important in my mind. i only got up to whistler 4 times last summer, for instance, as opposed to the probably 30 times i made it up to whistler/the shore/post canyon the summer before that.

given that there are essentially no legal riding spots within washington and that i knew i'd be a lot busier this year (which has proved to be true) it made sense to dump the bike while i could still a decent return for it.

Sounds legit enough. I fell the need to dump my DH bikey for an XC rig every now and then but i can never bring myself to do it. More power to ya.

What the hell are you doing still being up and all?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
chicodude said:
Sounds legit enough. I fell the need to dump my DH bikey for an XC rig every now and then but i can never bring myself to do it. More power to ya.

What the hell are you doing still being up and all?
what are _you_ doing up? :D

i'm trying to crank out another case study (a problem set in as many words) for pharmacology. this case is on opioid dependence.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in case you were at the edge of yr seat, and in danger of toppling over, i've settled my lens dilemma and selected the Tokina 12-24...haven't had much time to play w/ it yet; the downpour made it not so suitable for use, and it's not really much of an indoor lens, esp on a grey day.

i did rent a 85 f/1.8 from calumet though, and that got a fair bit of use...went to two different shows on sat and sun, and will have some photos up after i do some RAW processing tonight.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, i did have some issues, so don't get yr hopes up too high.

- at the michael hurley show, i screwed up and had the metering set to partial rather than evaluation. for the entire shoot. doh! as a result, the pictures had a much brighter background than they should have.

- it was at a church, and there was a sole spotlight on the left side of the performer. this meant i got ugly mic stand shadows across the face of samara for her entire set, and about 1/2 of hurley's set (after he moved the stand when he played fiddle); tara stood and played, so it was not an issue w/ her. it was such a quiet, intimate setting that i felt uncomfortable moving around to get different perspectives, and my shots suffered accordingly.

- at the mogwai show, i had the lens on MF for a few shots and forgot to reset it back to AF....wasted a bunch of shots there

- the strobes played havoc w/ the metering and focus for some of the mogwai shots, so i ended up going manual, both exposure and focus, and doing some burst shots. a few came out halfway decent.

- the 85 on a 1.6 crop body meant it was too long to get full images of the performers for the main part, and i either got face shots or partially cropped guitars. i swapped lenses to the 50mm for some shots, and that improved the situation. i was 2nd from the stage, and it was jammed so i couldn't really move backwards w/ the 85 and still get an unobstructed stage view (i wish i was a foot taller).

- on the plus side, i can now pretty much operate all my camera's controls and settings in the dark.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i thought those pics (posted in the lounge) turned out pretty good! :thumb: you're definitely being more strict in self-editing what to post vs. earlier concert shoots.

on an entirely different subject, this video is awesome:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=27&POSTNUKESID=dde201e308de330156265d9ee3452c09

what is also awesome is that me and my sailing partner almost pitchpoled the hobie 16 we were flying (ie, windward hull out of the water). then we thought that was fun enough that we did it a few more times. ahha :thumb: what a day. finally i am convinced that catamarans are more fun than lasers.

in pictures (watch the video, too!):

lasers:

hobie 16s:

a single hobie 16, flying the hull:

a pitchpole about to happen:

a pitchpole in progress (view from behind the boat as it flips over frontwards):

and into the drink:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
haven't changed anything in my setup in a bit (getting a softbox to shoot a friend's wedding tho):

canon:
20D (switched from D30 after it died)
420EX and ST-E2 for off-camera
28/1.8 usm
50/1.4 usm
135/2L usm (switched from the 70-200/4L usm)

sigma:
12-24/4.5-5.6 hsm (switched from the 15/2.8 fisheye)
180/3.5 hsm macro

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
was that 135/2L usm a trade from the 70-200?

i'm tempted to land either the 28/1.8 or 50/1.4 or both, to aid in my low-light concert shooting endeavors. it'd be nice to have a wide angle available (my new tokina is far too slow @ f/4). how's the focusing capability in low-light for either?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i sold the 70-200 outright, then bought the 135 brand new for a good price from some taiwanese guy on the fredmiranda.com forums who apparently had connections. it had/has a warranty card and all. unfortunately his operation has been shut down -- i guess he got sloppy later on and didn't ship items on time.

the 28 focuses better than the 50/1.4, which tends to hunt quite a bit. something about the 50 not having a true ring-type usm? however, the 50/1.4 is critically sharp within its depth of field, even close to wide open. the 28 is most definitely not -- it's great for web work, but just recognize it's not that sharp.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i had another awesome day sailing today. the wind can be seen below, yellow marking the time period in which i was actually out on the water:

it was the last day of the catamaran class (hobie 16) that i've been taking, so today was the day to show our stuff. i intentionally paired up with the other hotshot in the class, a freshman math major that happens to like sailing. and we tore it up -- we were the only ones to get an intermediate rating today, while others got a novice rating. (this is key for me since the intermediate rating doesn't expire, while the novice rating would expire while i was doing peds in pocatello...).

the wind was good and we were pushing it, so we actually ended up pitchpoling twice! (see previous posts in this thread for explanation of pitchpoling) once with her at the tiller, once with me at the helm. in between our two impromptu capsizes we also had to demonstrate one on purpose for the instructors, so it was quite the workout. given that we were out there for a couple of hours 2 unintentional capsizes isn't bad at all. we got pretty good at riding that edge where the boat is keeled up on one hull but isn't quite ready to flip.

:) what a day. (i also took final #3 of 4 today. but sailing is much more interesting.)

extra notes: the hobie 16 is a small catamaran for 2 people. you need 280 lbs of combined weight to flip one back upright if you capsize, and we were pretty close to that limit so it was a struggle. pitchpoling is what happens when the prow of your leeward hull (as opposed to windward -- leeward is the side away from the wind) digs into the water. the boat instantly stops and goes vertical, and if you are on the trapeze wires as we were today, then you go flying! i flew off the front of the boat, and my sailing partner almost hit the front of the hulls, a good 8 feet away, during one of the capsizes. finally, trapeze wires are wires that hang down from the mast that let you lean way out to the side of the boat in order to stay upright in high winds.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi, I'm stealing your sailing terms and applying them to biking, as in: "Keith pitch-poled yesterday." :) Seemed to be particularly descriptive... :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Barbaton said:
Toshi, I'm stealing your sailing terms and applying them to biking, as in: "Keith pitch-poled yesterday." :) Seemed to be particularly descriptive... :cool:
i hope that didn't happen in the Fells...near the Sheepfold...
:help: :rofl: