Quantcast

World Championships - Val di Sole

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
How to measure audience is a big debate. What numbers count, the views, the streams, the clicks? At Freecaster, we have decided to count only the unique viewers. Thus if you connect three times during the live we only register you once. On that basis we can't reach 32 million, a number I question anyhow as I'm pretty sure it refers to potential home reach and not to actual viewers.

Your were just under 53000 to tune in for the live webcast and 2995 to be on the live chat. This is a very good score when you think that most of you we watching for over 2 hours!

Freecaster has been around since 2004. We cover the world champs in Les Gets that year and have covered MTB DH ever since. Last year we webcast live the Worlds in Fort William, it never ceases to surprise me how many people still don't know Freecaster.tv.

The results achieved to date are great. From my point of view, a person waking up at 4am to watch the stream on a computer is comparable to an on-site spectators. It requires the same commitment. Now, have you ever seen a DH MTB event with 53000 viewers on site? That is what happened last Saturday and it is a very very good result! Thanks to all who tuned in, for the others we will post more replays this week.

Looking 4ward to more good moments for the upcoming world cups, the season is far from over.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Mr Freecaster. Your coverage was awesome, I cannot tell you how good it was to watch everything live. Rob Warner is a great pick, the comentary during Hill's run was so frigg'n good.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
who need proper TV coverage and air time when you have this sort of live streaming coverage?

when all the issues with live streaming are ironed out meaning no one will have issues connecting on, i think the audience will be more than big enough, to provide enough advertising exposure that would see more money come into our sport from external companies. Leading to more pro riders and bigger budgets for the teams.

Already good to see bigger names getting involved eg Nissan etc

I think as a niche sport we have progressed quite well especially over the last few years

As comment to the race,

Well done Gee, I bet peaty was thinking this might be his day when he saw Hill come off.

Sammy will be even more hungrier now to win the rainbow jersey back at his home worlds next year

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Someone on hear from Oz said the worlds next year are on a sea otter type track...should be cool.
I'm in for one last hoorahhh if thats true J/K

man i hope thats not he case though, the footage of worlds this year was unreal just watched it all again and still can't believe how committed these guys are.....

would be a shame to see riders of this caliber not challenged.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Dirt vid worth watching for the interviews at the end if nothing else.
For sure.

And what was with those boy scouts? Idiots who thought anyone celebrating with the winners were attacking them. Rushing in to pull people out like they were bodyguards.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm in for one last hoorahhh if thats true J/K

man i hope thats not he case though, the footage of worlds this year was unreal just watched it all again and still can't believe how committed these guys are.....

would be a shame to see riders of this caliber not challenged.
Do it!!!

It was definitely great to see the riders pushing their limits on such a technical course. Watching them on anything less would be like watching monster-trucks drag-racing. It just wouldn't be right.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For sure.

And what was with those boy scouts? Idiots who thought anyone celebrating with the winners were attacking them. Rushing in to pull people out like they were bodyguards.
I thought their funny hats were the best part of the whole event.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
they were the alpines corp of the italian army... basically soldiers + mountaineers, which makes for an unprecedented dumbness combo

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
True, he was flying, but I think (to me anyway) the others look quite a bit faster in some spots because Peat always looks more in control. Like the open section Hill crashed on...he looks like he flies about twice as far as Peat. Gee looked like he could have lost it there too with his crazy line.
Gee was 5sec behind Hill when they turned right after the last tree in that right corner after the last steep part. That line he took wouldn't have lost him anything, Hill should have picked the same. But I guess taking the longer way to the finish isn't a Sam Hill thing to doo. :pirate2:

He was airborne more than grounded at that last steep alright. Craaazy..

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Someone on here from Oz said the worlds next year are on a sea otter type track...should be cool.
Last time Hill raced at Stromlo in 07 , he did a similar thing to last week. Washed the front in one of the last corners. He doesn't like the track , didn't before the race either.

I think Stromlo could be the chance for Peat to finally get the rainbows. The track will suit him well IMO. Compared to what I've seen of the Sea Otter track on DVDs , Stromlo is rockier and more loose. Not a big hill though. Fitness and raw power will rule. Gee and Minnaar should do well there too.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
who need proper TV coverage and air time when you have this sort of live streaming coverage?

when all the issues with live streaming are ironed out meaning no one will have issues connecting on, i think the audience will be more than big enough, to provide enough advertising exposure that would see more money come into our sport from external companies. Leading to more pro riders and bigger budgets for the teams.

Already good to see bigger names getting involved eg Nissan etc

I think as a niche sport we have progressed quite well especially over the last few years
I hope that won't mean that they will be cutting in "for a word from our sponsors" during runs.

Indeed, and it's going to continue that way as everything around this sport is progressing with it; Bike resorts are popping up everywhere in Sweden and Norway now, draging the DJ kids around here into big mountain riding; Freecaster has sertainly heated us up and will most sertainly have a positive spinn off on an already growing scene; Municipalities over here have for the past few years invested in skateparks and dirt jumps, and by that way making sure fresh generations come to the sport. This can only grow from here. :thumb:

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
where did the vallnord WC footage go? for DIRT
Hey Ronan, like a complete muppet I somehow managed to lose one of the tapes from Vallnord somewhere on the track!!
Nearly got the sack over that balls up!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I thought it odd that the FC commentators never (or very very very rarely) commented on the bikes people were riding. Are they not allowed to because it's the worlds? I dont think they have much at the World Cups either though. If I worked at santa cruz I'd want to hear my company mentioned whenever peat/minaar etc are on the screen.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Dude, that crash is so weird. I don't understand why bryn crashes so much, he's so good but it seems like he is always crashing real hard on basic sections. Like he just spaces out or something. That was absolutely THE weirdest crash I have ever seen.

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
i remember seeing that crash live... i was like... OMG!!! But thats racing i guess... **** happens and no one ever gets a clean run...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It seems when Bryn goes down, he does it properly. No half-arsing about with his crashes...

Good result considering and full props for continuing hard.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My god that was some kinda crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bryn that is. Very respectable that got up quick and still posted a good time!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Dude, that crash is so weird. I don't understand why bryn crashes so much, he's so good but it seems like he is always crashing real hard on basic sections. Like he just spaces out or something. That was absolutely THE weirdest crash I have ever seen.
Looks like he caught the bank on the right... ouch, that was a hard crash too. That would have really rung my bell.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Gave me flash backs of a crash I had last year from clipping a tree I didn't see on the side of the trail. The hardest ones are when you have no idea you are about to crash.

Bryn Atkinson emailed me to find out about having his run up on freecaster so he could see what the heck happened.

Hardest crash of the week.
http://www.freecaster.com/1000006_1005159

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have now watched the Runs of Sam Hill, Steve Peat and Gee Atherton about 20 Times each. Post race. This had to be the most exciting DH Race I have ever seen. How excited was Rob Warner during Sam Hill's run?
Thank you to Freecaster, Fraser Britton and the others who made it all possible. Rob Warner is funny as heck the whole way thru, starting with the "Test Rider" before the 4x Event. I can't wait for the next World Cup event. I will most definately be tuned in! :cheers:

I most definately feel bad for Sam and Jared. Both were looking unstoppable.
Sometimes things happen and it doesn't work out. That's what makes it all the more exciting! Congrats to Josh Bryceland, Rachel Atherton, Gee Atherton, Alverez, and Melissa Buhl on being 2008 World Champions!

What an exciting event. Everyone brought their A Game. That's for sure!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It would be awesome if Freecaster offered HQ downloads of their content at a fee. Or maybe you could subscribe and get unlimited downloads for a set monthly rate. Just a thought because I would love to be able to watch the race in HQ over and over and over and over and I'm sure there are many others who would also like this..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It would be awesome if Freecaster offered HQ downloads of their content at a fee. Or maybe you could subscribe and get unlimited downloads for a set monthly rate. Just a thought because I would love to be able to watch the race in HQ over and over and over and over and I'm sure there are many others who would also like this..

Word

You hear that freecaster guys!!??

We'd be willing to support paycaster!