Quantcast

World Championships - Val di Sole

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Yeah sorry Seb - I wasn't getting at anyone especially not our girls. Just pointing out that it's the one area that we don't have anyone really doing anything just yet. The full set would have been quite an achievement - as it it though it's pretty awesome.

De Gorski

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Another question for the freecaster guys - what size audience did this broadcast reach? I often moan that our sport doesn't get the mainstream coverage it deserves, but I really have no idea how popular it is. Would be great to know how many people tuned in world-wide to watch the biggest event of the year. :confused:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Another question for the freecaster guys - what size audience did this broadcast reach? I often moan that our sport doesn't get the mainstream coverage it deserves, but I really have no idea how popular it is. Would be great to know how many people tuned in world-wide to watch the biggest event of the year. :confused:
Quite a lot. How many that aren't keen MTBers though? Feck all I'm sure.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I can not speak for freecaster.com, but if they do chime in with some data, for a tiny bit of comparison sake...
When I was working with the ESPN guys in 2006 at Xgames, they told me they had just over 32million worldwide viewers for the entire duration of the games (3-4 days of coverage). That did not include any online content, only TV.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What is brilliant about Freecaster.com vs. ESPN is that its the whole world watching but like with all products no matter how good they are if people don't know the product exist they can not try the product.

BlackElvis

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Slovenia, Europe
Oh man...

I'm watching Sam's and Gee's run over and over again and I just can't believe how fast they are.

And of course. Rob Warner for president.
SAM IS ON FIRE!!! LOOK AT THE TIME!!! Priceless.

Thanks Freecaster!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
What is brilliant about Freecaster.com vs. ESPN is that its the whole world watching but like with all products no matter how good they are if people don't know the product exist they can not try the product.
ESPN broadcasts to more than 200 countries and does online content. But Freecaster gives us so many more sports most of us care about!
Freecaster will take over the world once word gets out of the wicked content and quality.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I wonder will freecaster have the full coverage of the worlds? There were a few riders I wanted to see on saturday that I couldn't coz it kept freezing on those riders, so would be awesome if there could be a full replay of it...like mtbcut did with the worlds at fort william last year...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
FWIW, did anyone notice that Sauser won the XC? He was the XC equivalent to Peaty; couple time overall World Cup champ, dozen plus World Cup wins, and finished 2nd at Worlds a bunch of times. There's still hope for Peaty to win one :)

-ska todd

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I got my girlfriend to record the 4x saturday while I was out riding. Rob warner entertained her enough that she was stoked to watch it again with me when I got home with some popcorn and beer.

THAT is broadcasting.:D
Now you have got her trained well.

Plus a Girlfriend that like bikes.....:shocked:
Where did you get her???:cheers:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
FWIW, did anyone notice that Sauser won the XC? He was the XC equivalent to Peaty; couple time overall World Cup champ, dozen plus World Cup wins, and finished 2nd at Worlds a bunch of times. There's still hope for Peaty to win one :)

-ska todd
Ya, he beat the greatest of all time (Absalon) at his own game...a staggering achievement.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
AT&T came out to my house this AM and fixed my internet service. For whatever reason, my 3MB connection was down to less than 1MB. Technician said they actually bump up your speed for 30 days free sometimes to get you to call in & ask for the higher speed after they drop it back down to your current speed.

He said it looked like AT&T had me rocking at something like 10MB+ for free for a few weeks, tried to choke it back down & nearly nuked my net. Sneaky bastards...

Oh..and apparently in 6 months I'll be able to watch HDTv through CAT 5 cable. Phone companies suck at phone service...I can't imagine how bad TV will be with them!!! :D

So yeah...I missed the live feed b/c AT&T was trying to hook me & sneak me heavy doses of E-meth...:thumb:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The what?

Oh that sport where roadies ride road bikes with wider tires and pedal on dirt roads for a couple of hours? I've definitely heard of it.
Yeah that's kinda what it's turned into gone are the days of Water Jumps and hang on for dear life descents.

At least they let Phil Tech up the Olympic course some.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Anybody that knows anything would know that the rock didn't cause Sam's crash. It was the skinsuit.

Think about it. If it makes somebody faster at high speeds, then obviously he was going faster than even he could fathom. Add to that the loss of drag created with him not having his baggies on and you have a perfect recipe for what we witnessed on Saturday. I'm really shocked than nobody else clued-in on that point. There's an amazing sequence of "the crash" on cyclingnews.com
I would believe this if he never did a run in the skinsuit before hie race run. Sam wore the skinsuit in his seeding run so he was well aware of the changes in his race run.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Fraser

Any chance of a side by side comparison of the top 3 runs - would be good to be able to see where Hill was gaining time on the other 2 (if they're ever even in the same shot together after the first split)

That would be rad comparison!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've watched Peat, Hill and Gee's runs a few times now. Better than any race video around. Interesting to see how they each have such different styles. Peat is always glued to the ground and looks in control all the time. The end of Hill's run is just nuts. In the last rocky section, he seems to be in the air more than on the trail.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I've watched Peat, Hill and Gee's runs a few times now. Better than any race video around. Interesting to see how they each have such different styles. Peat is always glued to the ground and looks in control all the time. The end of Hill's run is just nuts. In the last rocky section, he seems to be in the air more than on the trail.
i thought the end of peatys run was nuts, he was flying!!! especially that pre jump off the final step down!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
i thought the end of peatys run was nuts, he was flying!!! especially that pre jump off the final step down!
True, he was flying, but I think (to me anyway) the others look quite a bit faster in some spots because Peat always looks more in control. Like the open section Hill crashed on...he looks like he flies about twice as far as Peat. Gee looked like he could have lost it there too with his crazy line.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Peat has an extra 6 inches of suspension in those goofy long arms & legs of his. I watched those runs over and over and Hill was insane. He was attacking the whole way down the course, including flying way outside on that straight down section that Gee straightlined. Hill nearly blew off course there.

But in all fairness to Hill, he said in the interview that the qualifying run was his first top to bottom run at full speed and in his qualifying run he didn't get to hit that last turn full speed in qualifying b/c of the rear flatting out. I know that at races in the past, I've absolutely blown past a turn in my race run b/c in practice I'd never hit it full speed if there were a sprint needed before the turn.

At Massanutten is the worst place that it happens for me. It's sweeping turn after sweeper with fast rolling sections in between. But then in a race run, you crank out all the little straights...next thing you know, you're blitzing a berm you didn't know you needed to brake for.

Oh...and I like Sam's leg warmers under his TLD's....

May 31, 2008
Belgium
I can not speak for freecaster.com, but if they do chime in with some data, for a tiny bit of comparison sake...
When I was working with the ESPN guys in 2006 at Xgames, they told me they had just over 32million worldwide viewers for the entire duration of the games (3-4 days of coverage). That did not include any online content, only TV.
How to measure audience is a big debate. What numbers count, the views, the streams, the clicks? At Freecaster, we have decided to count only the unique viewers. Thus if you connect three times during the live we only register you once. On that basis we can't reach 32 million, a number I question anyhow as I'm pretty sure it refers to potential home reach and not to actual viewers.

Your were just under 53000 to tune in for the live webcast and 2995 to be on the live chat. This is a very good score when you think that most of you we watching for over 2 hours!

Freecaster has been around since 2004. We cover the world champs in Les Gets that year and have covered MTB DH ever since. Last year we webcast live the Worlds in Fort William, it never ceases to surprise me how many people still don't know Freecaster.tv.

The results achieved to date are great. From my point of view, a person waking up at 4am to watch the stream on a computer is comparable to an on-site spectators. It requires the same commitment. Now, have you ever seen a DH MTB event with 53000 viewers on site? That is what happened last Saturday and it is a very very good result! Thanks to all who tuned in, for the others we will post more replays this week.

Looking 4ward to more good moments for the upcoming world cups, the season is far from over.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
any chance of a repeat of the mens elite runs so we can watch it again on freecaster? maybe this might be a crazy request?
would be savage if we could, I missed a few riders I wanted to see coz internet connection was crappy!