Quantcast

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
well, the americans were clearly lucky to have reached a tie against a better team. :D

gremo slovenia!

and for obvious reasons a repost:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always been amazed how players can make extremely long and accurate passes but when trying to score they consistently miss by a country mile

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've always been amazed how players can make extremely long and accurate passes but when trying to score they consistently miss by a country mile
If you watch the shots taken from long range so far, many have little or no drop. The new ball sucks ass and floats to high. There have been a number of crossbar shots, too. It looks like you can get decent movement left to right, but corners and free kicks are loftier than usual.

But yes, it makes me wonder as well.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The referee who disallowed a potential game-winning goal for the United States will face an expedited performance review from FIFA and is likely to be excluded from the rest of the World Cup, according to a FIFA source.

Koman Coulibaly from Mali disallowed Maurice Edu’s 86th-minute strike that would have given the USA a 3-2 lead over Slovenia at Ellis Park and likely would have led to a thrilling comeback victory Friday. Coulibaly appeared to rule that American midfielder Michael Bradley had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no infringement
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
If USA wins, they are good to go.

If USA loose, they are out.

If USA tie, England needs to loose or tie for USA to advance.

At least that is what I remember figuring out this morning after the matches. Obviously the first choice is the safest.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Socceroos have played 53% of their World Cup with 10 dudes. To pull a 1-1 tie a man shy for 62 mins is crazy. The lone goal against was a penalty kick. That's impressive.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Do we need a suicide watch for VB? Japan lost this morning, now Australia is down a man and it's tied 1-1, and it's only the 26th minute...... they're f**ked.
Not a total disaster but tough now. I don't care what happens to Japan, only other team I wanna see do well are the Kiwis.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i'm watching this game also and the kiwis are looking pretty friggin good . i think they might pull off the upset versus italy .
I wanted to see them push more, but hat off to Patson. He was awesome in goal.

How awesome would it be to see England, France, Italy, and Spain all go home after group play?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wow, and if it weren't for that spectacular dive by the Italian player, it could've very well ended 1-0 NZ. If the US doesn't make it out of this round, I'm boycotting the World Cup until they start adding either more referees, video replay, or BOTH. The flopping, diving, and flat out blown calls are disgusting. There's no way one referee can see everything, and to have so many games decided on blown calls detracts from the sport.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wow, and if it weren't for that spectacular dive by the Italian player, it could've very well ended 1-0 NZ. If the US doesn't make it out of this round, I'm boycotting the World Cup until they start adding either more referees, video replay, or BOTH. The flopping, diving, and flat out blown calls are disgusting. There's no way one referee can see everything, and to have so many games decided on blown calls detracts from the sport.
You must be new to the world cup - this is never going to happen. This is not American football - it's a free-flowing game, with little to no stoppage for crap like video replay. Stuff like this happens every single year, it's an unfortunate but somewhat inevitable part of the game. We all know what the rules are going into the competition. I imagine you're so pissed because it happens to be the US this time around.

I'll say this - way too much pushing, shoving and hugging going on in the box at the time of the kick. There were easily 4 fouls from what I saw on the replay... and yeah, they probably canceled each other out, but the ref has to make the call at that moment - he blew the whistle early (before the goal was kicked) and you have to live with it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks like 2 hand balls in Fabiano's 2nd goal... the first touch and the last touch.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
World Cup and FIFA officiating as a whole will never improve. As long as the refs are not full time pros, and kept sequestered during the tourney AND not made to actually tell what the call is,then it will remain the same, no integrity crap that we have been seeing. May as well be playground smear teh queer...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Portugal putting on a clinic. Was it Saddam Hussein's boy who had the national team beaten after a loss one time? The North Koreans might be getting the piano wire after this.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
World Cup and FIFA officiating as a whole will never improve. As long as the refs are not full time pros, and kept sequestered during the tourney AND not made to actually tell what the call is,then it will remain the same, no integrity crap that we have been seeing. May as well be playground smear teh queer...
The *only* entity that can bitchslap FIFA right now is ESPN. If the US doesn't make it, viewership is going to plummet, and ESPN stands to lose millions. FIFA could care less about Americans, and the American team has to play nice since the US is in the running for hosting the world cup in 2018 or 2022.

However, ESPN paid more for the broadcast rights than any other media outlet, and the US is the #1 media market in the world. $100m buys a *lot* of influence, and if ESPN loses millions in this world cup (after the US doesn't advance), I'd bet that there'd be a nice, long, unpleasant conversation sometime in the near future.

And it's not just the disallowed goal (although that's what has me mostly pissed), it's Findley missing the next game due to a "hand ball" that bounced off his face that I'm really pissed off at. That's an EASY claim to refute by the US after the fact. Findley's sitting out for an "intentional hand-ball", when it's obvious the ball came nowhere near his arm.

Sorry, I'm not buying the "free flowing" bullsh!t, every other sport has adapted. Hockey got so sick and tired of the diving and missed calls that they added another referee (and eventually video replay). If the scoring was like basketball, I wouldn't care. But when the score is 0-1 due to a completely blown call by a referee, THAT is a problem.