Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

trickbooter

Chimp
Dec 1, 2009
Right, I am now armed with a wrench, a 4mm hex socket to go into the wrench (this is to remove the 'wind-up' problem I have with me normal allen keys, rather than applying a brutal amount of force). I have some RP-90, which is meant to be rad at loosening stuff, and I have two spare M6x16's. I know they are not the recommended hi tensile affairs, but just in case I screw up the bolt taking them out, i wanted something good enough to put back in, at least until I can source some HT ones.

Anyone now where I can get official spares from?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nope, but you can probably find an equivalent through Mcmaster-carr or similar. If they don't have the fancy ZOMG alloy that IH used, it probably doesn't matter. In this application at the relatively low torque being applied, a grade 8 stainless will probably suffice.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Right, I am now armed with a wrench, a 4mm hex socket to go into the wrench (this is to remove the 'wind-up' problem I have with me normal allen keys, rather than applying a brutal amount of force). I have some RP-90, which is meant to be rad at loosening stuff, and I have two spare M6x16's. I know they are not the recommended hi tensile affairs, but just in case I screw up the bolt taking them out, i wanted something good enough to put back in, at least until I can source some HT ones.

Anyone now where I can get official spares from?
You can get the necessary bolts from www.mcmaster.com. Type in part #91294A238 into the search engine, and voila.

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
Well, 13 Nm is quite a lot for M6 bolts. They are available as 10.9, but sometimes hard to find if you don't want to buy 500 of them.

trickbooter

Chimp
Dec 1, 2009
Totally stoked. Got my new spring in, at last.

Thank you so much to m.m.w and Sandwich for the advice. The penetrating oil and a sturdy wrench did the trick. I will get some hi-ten bolts on order and replace my handy-work with some nice fresh bolts.

Thanks folks for the help. Superb.

Paul

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Glad to hear it. If the bolts are damaged significantly, replace them, but otherwise they shouldn't be a big deal. I remove mine frequently and check them often, but I don't loctite them, even though others recommend it. That setup is a little too goofy to risk getting stuck or damaged, so I'd rather keep it free-moving and make sure it's tight every ride than loctite it and forget it...though I might change my tune if I get a shock I like!

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
I take low strength Loctite 222 as a compromise since I once had a loose bolt.

@trickbooter
:thumb:
Did you grease the surface of the shock pins? If they corrode it's even worse than ruined bolts.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I changed the bolts to hardened steel rather than the soft stainless that they use stock. That way I can use loctite (or a higher strength loctite, whatever) and not risk damaging the bolt heads. I replace the bolts every year or so when they get a bit of head wear on them, but they are much stronger than the stock ones.

Torrendo

Chimp
Jan 27, 2006
Spain
Any first hand feedback on the Elka-Sunday incompatibility??

The Sunday is not cover in the compatibility list but that could be just beacuse the bike has finised production.

On my eye it seems that could fit the lower linkage even though the reservoir looks big...

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Hi all,

so i just got my 09 sunday and there is play when i lift the saddle. its small but noticeable and i dont want it getting sloppier.

It has just been re-anodized and had all new bearings.
the play seems to come from the lower shock pivot.
the guy i bought it off says its shock bushings and is sending me on some.

reading on here though seems to suggest its the pivot being slightly too wide and not allowing the bolts to tighten enough.

what should i look for when i have the shock out and replacing the bushings?

apart from that though, its an unreal bike very very happy with it!!

Make sure it isn't your shock bushing before you get worried about bigger issues.

Shock bushings will wear out on most if not all shocks at some stage, so that's the first place to look.

Put your finger against the eye of the shock and one of the the pin spacers on either side and move the saddle up and down. If there is play between the two your bushings are more than likely the problem (i.e. worn out).

Easy and cheap fix.

Good luck,

JT

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Is anyone using an RC4 on their Sunday?

I'm just wondering how the stock tune from Fox works with the bike. Fox told me they offer the stock (aftermarket) tune, and any special tunes are done for specific frames for each manufacturer.

I've tried searching but I'm not about to re-read this entire thread. I know the answer is in here somewhere.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is anyone using an RC4 on their Sunday?

I'm just wondering how the stock tune from Fox works with the bike. Fox told me they offer the stock (aftermarket) tune, and any special tunes are done for specific frames for each manufacturer.

I've tried searching but I'm not about to re-read this entire thread. I know the answer is in here somewhere.
from what i have heard and understood, it will fit but not without grinding away at the lower link. That may or may not be an option for depending on whether you want to grind it or not. Supposedly most/any shock on the market will fit when you take out the second brace on the linkage. Is it worth it? Dunno. I think Socket has some experience with the process and possibly that specific shock.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I run a dhx5 shock on my sunday
I often fill its sits very low...
is there anyone who used different shocks and can tell what was the best shock for the sunday?

Thanks

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
from what i have heard and understood, it will fit but not without grinding away at the lower link. That may or may not be an option for depending on whether you want to grind it or not. Supposedly most/any shock on the market will fit when you take out the second brace on the linkage. Is it worth it? Dunno. I think Socket has some experience with the process and possibly that specific shock.
Thanks, but that isn't what I was asking.

I want to know about how the shock rides, not how it installs. Fox alters the shimstacks for OEM shocks (ie. "Sunday tune"), but the aftermarket shocks are all a standard valving. So I was wondering how the stock valving on the RC4 works on the Sunday. I think it will be OK as it has adjustable compression, but I have no facts to back this up.

I guess I will find out considering I went ahead and ordered it today. 2-3 weeks for Fox to process the order, so hopefully sometime after the first of the year I will know.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL, sorry dude. I've heard good things. I think DW actually ran one for a while and he liked it a lot. I seem to remember him saying he recommended that route as a viable alternative. He didn't mention any shaving/filing though. I have no idea if he had a special tune. It probably came off a revolt. If anybody has access to special tunes, it's him.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I just got another sunday built up, a 2008 that I put a rockshox vivid on it. My old sunday I ran a pushed dhx with a 300 pound spring. The dhx felt great except that the bike rode very low in it's travel (as designed, I take it)
Anyway, the vivid I have also has a 300 pound spring but is the B tune instead of the A. I haven't got to ride it on any trails yet, but was wondering if anybody has ridden the B tune on the sunday? I'm thinking it won't be as supple but hopefully will sit up a little higher in the travel and not blow through the travel as much as well.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
Hi Folks,
A quick heads up, I'm parting out my 07 Factory Sunday and it has a Cane Creek Double Barrel with a Sunday Tune will be selling the frame complete and the shock separately as well as the rest of the parts
I should have prices and pics up today and will place an ad in the appropriate buy/sell forum
Will also have a few springs for the shock, one of them ti
Here she is built up
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4043968442_82400fe385_o.jpg
Thx
G

sundayrider

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
Australia
Hi,
I have an 06 Sunday. Just got it back from the shop, as needed new reducers and bushings. For some strange reason they have put the shock upright, as in with the piggy back at the top and facing the front. The bike now bottoms out way too easily. I have checked all other adjustments, and they are as before I took the bike in.
I assume that the reason it doesnt feel right is because the shock is meant to be upside down (because of the way it is valved...i know nothing about shocks). Could someone please let me know if this is the case? Also wondering if it may have damaged the shock riding it the wrong way up?

Cheers,
S

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hi,
I have an 06 Sunday. Just got it back from the shop, as needed new reducers and bushings. For some strange reason they have put the shock upright, as in with the piggy back at the top and facing the front. The bike now bottoms out way too easily. I have checked all other adjustments, and they are as before I took the bike in.
I assume that the reason it doesnt feel right is because the shock is meant to be upside down (because of the way it is valved...i know nothing about shocks). Could someone please let me know if this is the case? Also wondering if it may have damaged the shock riding it the wrong way up?

Cheers,
S
What shock is it? most likely the piggyback is hitting the frame, don't ride it anymore until you confirm. If it's a 5th element or DHX then I'm 99% sure this is the case. Flip the shock back the other way, and go abuse your shop for being complete morons.

If that's not the case however, let us know and we can think about alternative reasons.

romankalo

Chimp
Dec 30, 2009
Slovakia
Hi, I have just stripped my Sunday WC 08 apart as there was somewhere play and find out that there is big play between lower link and chainstay.

After removing the pin I noticed that lower link is damaged as bearings were not turning and lower link was rubbing around the internal rings of bearings. Now lower link is worn out and no matter how I tighten the bolts there is still play.

Bearings are dead, but they are still turning themselves, but when I tighten it, they are not turning at all and there is still play.

Have somebody bothered with something like that? Do you think it will be ok after replacing the bearings?

He are some pictures, it is hard to say how deep it is, but I assume about 0.3mm on one side and little less on the other.

Thanks for help

romankalo

Chimp
Dec 30, 2009
Slovakia
Thanks, I will try it with new bearings and loctite.

I would like also ask how it is with RC4 on 08/09 links? Will it fit or there is also need of some tuning of lower link?
Thanks

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Make sure you use the loctite bearing retainer, not just normal loctite - otherwise it won't work. The idea is that you are filling the gap causing the play with the loctite (which cures hard and quite strong).

RC4 won't fit without significant modding of lower link. If you're happy to do that you can make it fit, just make sure you test for bottoming out without the spring carefully, a friend of mine damaged the shock permanently when contact occured.

romankalo

Chimp
Dec 30, 2009
Slovakia
How much significant has it to be? Not enough to weaken the link? If your friend has a picture of modified link I would be very happy to see it. Thanks

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I'm stripping my Sunday to get it powder coated, and I need some help please.

Anybody know how to get the pivot axle out of the swingarm? the axle that goes thru the dw link on the swingarm? has to be "tapped out" ???

Also, any decent "ghetto" way of getting the other pivot bearings out and new ones pressed in? I have some tools, but not an LBS in the basement!

Thanks in advance!

Also, I noticed that the DW link felt really weird when it was apart from the front triangle and pivoting in the rear...it felt like it had a lot of friction and was kind of hard to make it pivot...seemed like it was bound up or something, but still had full range of motion...just motion with a good bit of resistance...normal???

romankalo

Chimp
Dec 30, 2009
Slovakia
I have absolutely opposite problem, lower link in the chainstay was pivoting easily but with play and axle went out just by finger. What year is your Sunday? I am gonna to strip my girlfriend's '09 to compare

I'm stripping my Sunday to get it powder coated, and I need some help please.

Anybody know how to get the pivot axle out of the swingarm? the axle that goes thru the dw link on the swingarm? has to be "tapped out" ???

Also, any decent "ghetto" way of getting the other pivot bearings out and new ones pressed in? I have some tools, but not an LBS in the basement!

Thanks in advance!

Also, I noticed that the DW link felt really weird when it was apart from the front triangle and pivoting in the rear...it felt like it had a lot of friction and was kind of hard to make it pivot...seemed like it was bound up or something, but still had full range of motion...just motion with a good bit of resistance...normal???

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I have an '08 Sunday frame with the vivid 5.1...bought it right before they went out of business from Randall Scott. I think the screws on each side of the link were too tight?? Only calls for 13M of torque...and yes, there is a little play in the link, but very little.

The axle that goes through the bottom of the shock came right out..but this other axle is way tight...guess I've got to beat it out with a smaller socket or something????

Any suggestions for removing and replacing the other bearings??? It's easy to screw them up!

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
If you are talking about the chainstay link pivot shaft--mine was stuck in pretty good as well. I set it sideways and sprayed some "free" rust penetrant on it and left it sit for an hour or so. Then did the same to the other side. After the pentrant was soaked in good, I found an old 10 mm bolt and a bit larger nut. I put the 10mm bolt through the larger nut(used it as a thick washer) and threaded it into the pivot shaft. Then proceeded to lightly tap the shaft out. The idea was to not mushroom the pivot shaft, by keeping the impacts as far inboard as possible. It worked for me.

To get the bearings out, I built a press gitup on the lathe. You may not have access to one of those, but it can be acheived using a long bolt, some washers, and some sockets. I think a million pages back, there is an outline on how to make up your own bearing press thingy.

You should also read up about the use of sleeve retaining compound, the strategic placement of o-rings, and possible places to obtain new bolts and such.

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
Freshwire--I would rather have the snug movement than sloppy movement!! If the bearings are free--I'd go with it. Mine seems to snug up as it tighten the pivot bolts (in the front link mount where the shock is). I cannot, however, gain much by reefin' on the rear chinstay pivot bolt. Have a feeling my link is shot:eek: