Toshi's thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Toshi, Apr 20, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Heh, true. I'm thinking it'll be a day for my 100 mm underfoot Mantras (with new ptex repairs!) on Sunday.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    238 / 1,768
    Why you taking the fat skis? :confused:

3. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Those are my skinny skis! What are we, stuck in the 80s? (I already know the answer here)

4. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    238 / 1,768
    lol - 106 underfoot is my daily (and only) driver. Just taking the piss. :D

5. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Here at Discount Tire. Their tire warranty certificates have me conflicted.

On one hand the people who buy them do seem as if they are close enough to broke that unexpectedly paying for an extra replacement tire would be difficult.

On the other hand it’s a product that clearly makes money per the actuaries, so their purchase of them is subsidizing my tire purchases. It’s like the lottery in many ways.

Re: subsidizing me: I nominally purchased four Nokian Hakka R3s at $190 each plus installation. They’d sold them to someone else in error (realizing this after I paid for the R3s) so I got Hakka 8s for a net cost of $799 installed instead. I applied for rebates on the original $900 charge, about $230 in total. Then today when getting them to put the correct R3s on after all they aren’t charging me for any difference.

Cliffs Notes: I’m ultimately getting four $190 tires installed for a net cost of ~$570. As with the Volvo deal I’d still rather have paid $670 and not sat here another hour, but still better than a sharp stick to the eye.

6. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Volvo showing 5500 miles today. I have the displays set to hide this normally so had no idea. This is over about 4.5 months of actual driving, but I did have the original trip from Illinois included in that.

Therefore I should be fine or at least close enough with the 30k mileage allowance at 36 months. Still might get something earlier than lease end, over the winter of 2020-2021, dependent on vehicle choice and tax credits (if EV or PHEV instead of old-ass Porsche).

#7926 -   Dec 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:44 PM
  7. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    238 / 1,768
    That's why we don't lease. We're averaging about 20K miles per year on the truck...

8. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    So the elder kid “only” tested at 90th percentile. That’s not high enough for GT let alone HGT. Hmph.

9. Pesqueeb

Pesqueeb bicycle in airplane hangar

Rep/Likes:
    425 / 2,869

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    So I sat in a 993 today.

Cliffs Notes: I'll need to hunt for a sunroof-delete car, and this might mean a Euro 25 year-rule-import ~2020.

Long version: I went to ADI Autosport, one of the myriad of independent used car dealers along Havana in Aurora. They had a 1995 993 listed, oddly with a whale tail but not listed as a Turbo, per se.

https://www.adiautosport.com/newandusedcars.aspx?clearall=1 (also note the Lamborghini Jalpa there--weird car!)

I'd called in advance and they graciously allowed me to test-sit in the car and bullshit for a bit. Turns out it is a weird mongrel of a car: 1995 911 Carrera 2 to start out with, only 16k miles, with lots of aftermarket add-ons: widebody kit and whale tail, aftermarket twin turbo + intercooler setup, lowered, RUF-style wheels. The interior was very mid-90s, what with aftermarket fake wood on the dash, a car phone (!), etc.

So clearly not the car for me at this time and place, as besides being RWD and tacky they wanted $100k for this mongrel! But it was the closest 993 to me and I just wanted to see if I'd fit with the USDM-standard-fare sunroof.

And I kind of do. 1 finger above my scalp to the headliner with the power seat all the way lowered. Not enough for a helmet and borderline for the street. It's a bit roomier than a 1st gen NSX but still wouldn't cut it. I'd need a sunroof-delete car one way or another.

Other impressions of the 993 as a platform were positive, however. It felt very compact inside in terms of width yet was very airy. Upright windshield, lots of side glass area, and delightfully thin A-pillars--just don't roll the car and those are great, right?

I still may well end up with something completely different (cheap-practical yet with a hitch and AWD, like a Crosstrek PHEV? Model Y? A donk with giant tire chains?!) but per this limited experience a driver-quality, unmolested 993 Carrera 4 with the sunroof delete option just might work.

11. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    283 / 2,307
    that's hideous ^^^ likely why it's sitting at a corner-lot dealer.

you are far too finicky to get a 993. look at 997.2s withOUT shitty body mods (as above) and pull the trigger.
    upload_2018-12-10_19-19-14.png

then find a second one and surprise @jdcamb ... he's earned it goddammit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jdcamb

jdcamb Tool Time!

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,397
    Nah My Brother just went out and bought me a expensive Christmas/Birthday gift, I am all set. Get yer Porsche.....

13. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Totally agreed on the mods. Having done that (pre-modded WRX) I never want to deal with other peoples’ bad decisions again.

But re 993 vs 997, I might be easier on a 993 because my expectations for each gen are different. The 997 is close enough to modern that it has navi, etc. but would look dated a la my 100 series. The 993 makes no pretense of being modern and I might be ok with that, especially given the existence of a Bluetooth/stealthy nav Porsche radio:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/navi/

14. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    More on this thought:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rst-drive-of-17-mile-35-mpg-plug-in-crossover

17 miles electric. 35 mpg after that. Mechanical AWD. Net $27.5k plus tax car in CO in 2020 (-$1k if 2019 or before, which doesn’t fit my timeline).

This would make a lot of sense for me... if I liked it in execution. Electric commute. Frugal gas for skiing and biking. CarPlay and EyeSight. Hitch should be available: same body as the gas plus rated to tow 1k itself.

15. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Publication 31 accepted yesterday. For promotion to no-prefix/"full" Professor I need somewhere in the region of 40-50 plus a nebulous "national reputation".

(Does it have to be a good reputation?!)

16. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    Related to this Crosstrek PHEV idea and that I'm a fickle bitch: I looked into getting out of my Volvo lease via swapalease.com. Turns out that some lease companies [1] don't allow one to transfer out of a lease at all, and some others [2] let one transfer the lease but still keep the original lessee on the hook for liability! (Worst of both worlds! as the second lessee would have no incentive to keep the car clean and undamaged.)

Volvo Car Financial Services is in group 1, of companies that don't allow for lease transfers at all. So my only option would be to buy out the car and then sell it. This doesn't make a whit of sense since I did a no-money-down lease (as one should) and thus would be eating a substantial portion of the lease term's depreciation up front instead of paying it evenly over the whole 36 months.

References:

In summary, I'll have this Volvo until 36 months, for better or worse, even though I may pine after other vehicles sane or insane for varying lengths of time.

With some more time in the Volvo I can offer up a better summary of life with it, relevant to my infidelity-to-Volvo exploration as above:

Pros:

Cons:

17. 6thElement

6thElement Schrodinger's Immigrant

Rep/Likes:
    72 / 1,394
    You mean 20" lo pro wheels don't give a better ride? :)

18. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    178 / 1,218
    The 18”s didn’t change things much on that front.

I should just get a Lexus LX and be done with it. And by it, I mean driving enjoyment.