Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much our cash-back check will be this year. :redface:
After we switched to the Costco card in April iirc (fuck you Southwest not giving us A-list over $861), we're pushing $1k back. Wifey driving into the garage door definitely helped though...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I got $111 back last year. Still covers the $60 marginal cost of Executive handily.

I shall get Costco refinance quotes tonight, looking for 30, 25, 20 fixed and 10/1 x same term ARM.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I don't know what secret sauce @stoney put in to get his quote because I didn't get anything akin to his. Is your loan not jumbo at this point?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I don't know what secret sauce @stoney put in to get his quote because I didn't get anything akin to his. Is your loan not jumbo at this point?
Nope. We had a lot of appreciation on the old house that we just flipped into this one. Never had a jumbo at any point.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

awwww...that's cute. we're at 2.75 on a 15... somewhere around 9-10 years in... :D mebbe drumpf's tantrums and shitty growth will push it down a bit more in the next 6-12 months?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
'tis my commuter bike:

Sometimes the seat rails creak. Sometimes the BB creaks a bit, or the belt squeaks a bit if I haven't hit it with silicone in a few weeks. Sometimes it is blissfully quiet.

On the balance, though, this build of mine has turned out to be pretty good for the task of solo commuting along my reasonably flat route between home and work.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Somehow amidst the hoopla about the R1T (rooftop tents OMG! but the kitchen is cool) and R1S I totally missed that Rivian is planning an electric delivery truck.

If it has sufficient range and fast charging ability it could become a platform for well heeled, eco-minded #vanlife types....

Edit: I didn't miss it. Bezos spilled the beans on an unannounced product. Some outlets reporting that this will be an Amazon exclusive product, but can 100k orders really make sense with regard to the costs of tooling up a new vehicle?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This dude sounds like he's related to me:

- from Denver
- short attention span for cars (Audi wagon x 2.5 years as of the latest)
- wants AWD, room for four, performance, looking in the <$50k neighborhood
- even considered a Model 3!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here you can get a 0.5% 30 year fixed mortgage and shorter adjustable are at negative rates at the moment (slightly positive with fees)
Yeah, the European rate climate has been screwy since 2008!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nope. We had a lot of appreciation on the old house that we just flipped into this one. Never had a jumbo at any point.
Perhaps that is the secret. The good news is that I can get that mortgage under the jumbo limit fairly soon. Maybe a year? And then push once again for a refinance.

For the record, the jumbo limit in my county (some counties have a higher limit if super high COL) is $484,850.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Harumph.

Just as well for me. I will bide my time and get the mortgage paid down to non-jumbo territory. Hell, I'll do that before paying down the Tesla since it's sticking around.

Order:

- pay off Land Cruiser note at end of October
- pay down mortgage from its $512kish level to non-jumbo territory ($484k)
- look into refinancing mortgage if rate climate better than what I have
- finish paying off car notes and student loans
- refinance mortgage to 10 years or less, whatever the lowest rate is, and pay it off in <5 years
- profit

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Harumph.

Just as well for me. I will bide my time and get the mortgage paid down to non-jumbo territory. Hell, I'll do that before paying down the Tesla since it's sticking around.

Order:

- pay off Land Cruiser note at end of October
- pay down mortgage from its $512kish level to non-jumbo territory ($484k)
- look into refinancing mortgage if rate climate better than what I have
- finish paying off car notes and student loans
- refinance mortgage to 10 years or less, whatever the lowest rate is, and pay it off in <5 years
- profit
I assume there's a rates highest to lowest?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I assume there's a rates highest to lowest?
Initially I was assuming that, because math, right? But then I ran some numbers... Paying down the mortgage yields more down the road, and refinancing is the huge factor that'd really cut down on interest paid.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
With that negligible of a rate difference it makes sense

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re wading depth

I wonder what kind of vehicle that was, because that was some high water indeed.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Fruits and vegetables do not reduce cancer risk. Especially the fruit part has been sold to us since about 1991 without good evidence...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I saw a dark red Kia Telluride on the street today. It looked much blander and blobbier in lower-spec trim than the top of the line dark green over cream model that made the show circuit and impressed @stoney and me a few months ago.

The shoulder line looked much weaker in the dark red, and the contrast to the dark grey plastic lower panels wasn't pretty. The small silver wheels also detracted from it, and overall it had little presence.
I have seen a few other Tellurides since then and they really are just not as attractive as the depicted one.

I did see a Hyundai Palisade the other day, on the other hand, and that one shows much nicer than in the stock photos. The black color likely helped it, but it looked very shiny indeed:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My would love to try the selv driving function which my two Canadians claimed is amazing

No doubt the Kia is only good looking in top spec which I think is a big problem with Kia in general. Not sure why the can't find a way to make the whole line look good.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Can has cabless and thus driverless dump truck plz?
I get to see some rad shit lately. My last project used remote controlled graders and excavators, run by two guys via what appeared to be slightly modified game controllers. Excellent results and ran without breaks. I was and still am quite skeptical from a safety standpoint but they have layer upon layer of controls.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I get to see some rad shit lately. My last project used remote controlled graders and excavators, run by two guys via what appeared to be slightly modified game controllers. Excellent results and ran without breaks. I was and still am quite skeptical from a safety standpoint but they have layer upon layer of controls.
Cool. Scania claims autonomous to boot, albeit this is just a concept:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Ski season is coming! This year’s goal will be to get better at moguls. The video has some nice skier footage after the initial goofy hip thrusting in the kitchen.