Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

LG G3 all mounted up via Handy. They arrived on time (after the rescheduling due to their unavailability last week), took about 30 minutes from boxed TV + boxed mount to being all done, and the extendable mount seems to be just how I'd envisioned it.

Minor vertical banding on test patterns but no visible on real content. The AI picture wizard added sharpening, which I axed immediately upon switching to the computer as an input as it created aliasing and odd artifacts. Filmmaker mode, -1 G white balance, -1 G tint, 85 brightness, 50 color depth, 10/10 max brightness under energy saver. With those settings first impressions are good. The demo Dolby Vision video on YouTube with the cat and all above looked quite fantastic in how things pop and render.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The e-bike is just a great way to get around town. Mid day errands, UPS Store then Shake Shack downtown. Went out via MLK since I was down south already, and did not enjoy the painted on bike lane between traffic lane and parked cars experience. Returned via the Platte River Trail + Sand Creek Greenway longer route, because e-bike.

route.PNG

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Nick

993 4S, 68k miles, black over cashmere or whatever their terms are. very nice /borat

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not super concerned about dust upstairs as it's all getting revamped. In theory. Should the designer ever give me designs and a crew and all that good stuff.
"We are chipping away on your home - Brooke [assistant to the designer lady] will be out there on Tuesday with some of the subs to get pricing."

wife and I came to the conclusion that if we have to drop something due to budget we'd rather keep the odd marble flooring as-is (instead of laminate over the top of it--it's glued down to the radiant elements so would have to go over the top realistically), with preference being to have a real framed and drywalled in basement bedroom added for that same theoretical pot of money.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kinda getting the urge to see if anyone in the bookface groups would trade me my DH bike for an equivalent bicycle blue book value non-DH acoustic FS mountain bike

after breaking my hand last year I think most (all?) of my DH time will be easy days with Mariko, who will be very slow. and going on an occasional acoustic mountain bike ride might be fun. actually, scratch that, but it would let me ride legally everywhere.

:D

thoughts from the peanut gallery? @6thElement

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
kinda getting the urge to see if anyone in the bookface groups would trade me my DH bike for an equivalent bicycle blue book value non-DH acoustic FS mountain bike

after breaking my hand last year I think most (all?) of my DH time will be easy days with Mariko, who will be very slow. and going on an occasional acoustic mountain bike ride might be fun. actually, scratch that, but it would let me ride legally everywhere.

:D

thoughts from the peanut gallery? @6thElement
I think we should have regular DH Friday's with @Nick

I haven't "worked" a Friday afternoon in weeks, so can easily swap that to full every other Friday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Might end up with Marker Free 7s on both the 140 cm, 90 mm under foot Rustler Teams (for Yuna in probably two years) or the 152 cm, 98 mm underfoot Black Pearl 98s.

Mariko tried the Black Pearls today and she skied great with them. Moving pictures on usual social media outlets.

View attachment 192512

What did not work well at all were the 2018 Marker Squire 11s. At 68 lb she couldn’t step into them at all. Even worse than the Tyrolia Attacks. She needs a half-kid binding still even though she is long.
IMG_8348.jpeg

Marker Free 7 half-kid bindings on both skis now. Mariko will be on the left 152 cm Black Pearl 98s next season. Yuna will be on the 140 cm Rustler Pros the season after next. 120s for her next season probably—got those in my shed.

Mariko’s are set up as 2.75 DIN and Yuna’s at 2.25! Hopefully they can step into them ok since I’ve done all I can equipment wise.

@Toshi - you'll be glad to know I'm getting a pair of those rasta Pivots mounted on my new skis. :D
12/14/15/18? No Cast?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_8364.jpeg

It is unfortunate my Wednesday schedule isn’t flexible

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_8365.jpeg

more slow progress? maybe? (this for the hot tub deck shoring up plans.)

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
you're never getting those plans.

get any/all contractors to adhere to a written schedule. All designs, all procurement, all labor, all subs. Once payments start, have them face damages for unexcused delays. If they don't agree, you probably don't want to use them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you're never getting those plans.

get any/all contractors to adhere to a written schedule. All designs, all procurement, all labor, all subs. Once payments start, have them face damages for unexcused delays. If they don't agree, you probably don't want to use them.
to be fair, I haven't paid him up front for said nonexistent plans, either. payment upon receipt.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

An update on my medial meniscus tear:

- cortisone injection in December got me through ski season but wore off ~3 mo
- functionally 99.9% there (had just a handful of unexpected sharp twinges, once while getting off a lift!)
- low level 1/10 discomfort/unease from it now
- went to see my orthopedic surgeon re it today
- she recommends arthroscopy and an attempt to fix it, gives 85% odds of a successful fix (probably higher--I doubt I have friable tissue). if repair not possible then she'd do a meniscectomy and carve away the torn bits, which is not the preferred option but probably would have the same prognosis as doing nothing, not worse than that
- but the recovery... didn't expect this. sounds like 4-6 wks toe touch weight bearing on crutches
- starting light spinning at 4-6 weeks. jogging by 6 mo or so, back full force in action by ski season
- her recommendation for arthroscopy/attempted repair despite me being functional and w/very low level discomfort is because I'm 41 and she thinks my tear (posterior horn, full thickness) will only get worse w/time

This is a tough one as I feel pretty good (but know something's not right with my knee) as it is, but per the professional opinion should have this done.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I got my right knee MRI'd a month or so back as I've had issues with it for 10+ years. Prognosis was pes bursitis, not the tear I thought I had and zero signs of arthritis thankfully.

Meanwhile my left knee has subsequently been hurting me and I've never had issues with it before :panic:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as an update, one of my twitter buddy orthopedic surgeons mentions he allows for full weight bearing immediately after meniscal repair, and sure enough the literature seems to support this being equivalent:

this would make my life much better in the recovery period: no crutches (no twisting motions, though!), maybe restricting range of motion to 90 degrees flexion or maybe not even that. and it's something that I can just do on my own, by using it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turns Pivot 15/18 into touring bindings.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Turns Pivot 15/18 into touring bindings.

ukGm72ZLZvYfS.gif

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
scheduled arthroscopy for May 23 (assuming that date works with my section's work schedule). down by Ikea. even if I advance myself on my own to full weight bearing and motion, as I plan to, driving back is not a good plan. perhaps I will take transit and make an adventure-day out of it. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
maybe.

transit.PNG

just under 3 miles from my house to the Central Park station. would be a trivial trip with bike or OneWheel assist, but neither shall be in the cards on post-op day 0 coming home.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
maybe.

View attachment 192984

just under 3 miles from my house to the Central Park station. would be a trivial trip with bike or OneWheel assist, but neither shall be in the cards on post-op day 0 coming home.
Haven't you got one of your offspring trained to ride the e-cargo bike yet so they can bungee you to the back for the ride home? :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Haven't you got one of your offspring trained to ride the e-cargo bike yet so they can bungee you to the back for the ride home? :p
the physics of 201 lb me being bungeed to the cargo bike with 68 lb Mariko at the helm would result in her dropping the bike immediately and squashing her leg

/true story were it to happen, bro

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Passes acquired for next season:

Loveland midweek for me
Ikon for me + wife
WP for Baby Aya (last year of glorious $30 pass!)

Shall get WP passes for the elder two kids through the comp center when I sign them up for Devo in the fall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
did Base non Plus for us as realistically we're only doing WP 90% of the time and a few midweek Copper days with friends.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
the physics of 201 lb me being bungeed to the cargo bike with 68 lb Mariko at the helm would result in her dropping the bike immediately and squashing her leg

/true story were it to happen, bro
I believe the solution is more pushups.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in which Mr. Money Mustache goes to great lengths to rationalize getting something that he wanted and has been able to afford for many years

yet he has been penny pinching for so long it's hard for him

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
in which Mr. Money Mustache goes to great lengths to rationalize getting something that he wanted and has been able to afford for many years

Mr. Money Mustache: "Blah blah blah money money money"

Everyone:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I feel attacked.

At least I would never spend $52K on a fucking cross over SUV.