Quantcast

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
c'mon ari, you know you want to get dirty. :stupid:

hopefully no one will fall on their head and dent their helmet like i did yesterday. really wish you could've gotten pics, keith.

WTGPhoben said:
I could be convinced of an easy road ride tomorrow morning, but Thad and I were palnning on going trail riding at blue hills tomorrow so if you think you have it in you, it would be best if you rocked that with us.

of course anyone else out there who's listening is welcome. Pace will probably be moderate. Just give us a reply.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
WTGPhoben said:
Thad and I were palnning on going trail riding at blue hills tomorrow so if you think you have it in you, it would be best if you rocked that with us.
That sounds cool. What time are you guys planning on going. I have a birthday party I'm going to in the evening but other than that I'm free all day.

Also, what are the logistics? I don't have a car so if I could hitch a ride with someone that would be awesome.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Quadari said:
That sounds cool. What time are you guys planning on going. I have a birthday party I'm going to in the evening but other than that I'm free all day.

Also, what are the logistics? I don't have a car so if I could hitch a ride with someone that would be awesome.
I'm clear any time after 10, and I got wheels. Thad can make the final call on the time (and call my cell to tell me what that decision is, in case I don't check email before then). I'd be partial to meeting people n the square if that's cool w/everyone.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
WTGPhoben said:
I'm clear any time after 10, and I got wheels. Thad can make the final call on the time (and call my cell to tell me what that decision is, in case I don't check email before then). I'd be partial to meeting people n the square if that's cool w/everyone.
I vote 10:30 at Keith's place at Adams. Ari, do you have numbers for either of us?

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Barbaton said:
I vote 10:30 at Keith's place at Adams. Ari, do you have numbers for either of us?
10:30 sounds good to me. I don't think I have either of your numbers. Why don't you just email me... (You can look up my email on post.harvard, where, btw, you guys should list your emails...)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
went to a good restaurant last night if any of you need date spots in Boston. Sonsie on newbury. Crab and brie stuffed mushroom appetizer was great, as was the pork tenderloin and poached peaches with blue cheese. Grilled salmon was good too but a bit too spicy (chili rubbed, etc). They have a good chocolate bread pudding for desert. overall... :thumb:

we'll see how well i can ride today after eating like that...

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Continuing in the restaurant vein...I went to Il Bico in Kenmore square this past weekend. It's a little italian place with very good food at very reasonable prices. It's also always almost empty, which is weird. So people should try it to make sure it doesn't go out of business.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
so i figured out the mystery of the spontaneous shifting while both pedaling and back-pedaling on the ride today. I thought it was the derailleur, but it turns out that I bent a link at some point when the chain fell off the granny gear. nothing a 12" c-wrench and a vice grip can't fix, though :evil:, since i didn't want to take another two links out of the chain... :mumble:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Barbaton said:
so i figured out the mystery of the spontaneous shifting while both pedaling and back-pedaling on the ride today. I thought it was the derailleur, but it turns out that I bent a link at some point when the chain fell off the granny gear. nothing a 12" c-wrench and a vice grip can't fix, though :evil:, since i didn't want to take another two links out of the chain... :mumble:
and what lesson have we learned from this?
shimano. chains. su@k.

buy sachs (now sram), bike happy.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a selection of goodies from whistler:

a quicktime vr panorama (right/shift click and save! as the mime types are screwy on my host) / highlights / all the pics

i ran into many RM members:

Sean (punkassean)
Aaron (el chimichanga?)
Echo (no pics, only met him)
Chris (Yeti DHer)
Jared (? don't know his s/n)
Sarah Marie (same)
Kristin (kristin, i think)
Andrew (mobius)
Dan (dbr)
Sanjay (Metal)
and probably many more whose names i can't remember now. :D 'twas all good in any case.

a few of my favorites from the trip:

<--- that's me! :D

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Rad pics Toshi. :thumb:
You have really outdone yourself with this exceptional collection of photos.

Sean DOES look like a punk ass. :D

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Toshi said:
heh :dead: :D . what did he fall on?
I haven't heard the full story yet. We've been playing phone tag since he got back. I bet he was going big! An unsuccessful attempt at the Tower of Power? :(

I'm going to roll around downtown if you want to hook up.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i'm taking it easy on my hands until saturday's hood/welch/whatever group ride. plus i'm lazy and it's hot :D ...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Toshi said:
i'm taking it easy on my hands until saturday's hood/welch/whatever group ride. plus i'm lazy and it's hot :D ...
Oh. I know, I'm on the look out for sweaty hot chicks cooling off in the fountain. :thumb:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
went riding at mt. hood today. unfortunately tim (Skookum) broke his ankle (? uncertain what exactly is broken) in a freak accident near the top.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Quadari said:
Check this out:

Aparently our current president enjoys trying to not fall off his $3,100 bike.

Google News Link
"31-hundred-dollar" hehe

thoughts of the night, inspired by st:tng episodes 5.21 (the perfect mate) and 2.10 (the dauphin)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i am disconnecting my cable modem, so call me if you need anything (such as where/when to meet up, thad) in the next few days: 509 989 1755

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
anything look weird about this picture?

yes, the window is broken:

but more than that i now have half a fork :dead:

same rack failed on the highway. same window was broken again. i hate thule.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
heh, nice animation of jack there :thumb: . no wonder you get the hippie chicks, you're all outdoorsy :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
speaking of being outdoorsy, have you watched "touching the void", keith? it's quite good, just watched it now. makes me want to go climbing :dead:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Quadari said:
Man... that's horrible. :(

How'd the window get broken? (again.)
i think the pedal went through the window when the bike swung down, secured by its rear wheel after the skewer snapped.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hey toshi- where you been lately? I tried to get a hold of you for PC on saturday, but your phone goes straight to voice mail.

That really blows about your truck, I'd call thule and give them a piece of my mind:mumble: .... Hopefully a replacement window isn't too expensive.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
zane said:
Hey toshi- where you been lately? I tried to get a hold of you for PC on saturday, but your phone goes straight to voice mail.

That really blows about your truck, I'd call thule and give them a piece of my mind:mumble: .... Hopefully a replacement window isn't too expensive.
last time this happened (a year ago) it was ~$300 :( . 509 989 1755 should work, except that i'm in the boonies with my parents now in coos bay. reception is spotty here. i moved out of my portland apartment on saturday so will be out of action for a while...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
That's the number I tried, but you must've been out of reception. Hopefully you'll be around to ride before you head up to seattle....

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
speaking of being outdoorsy, have you watched "touching the void", keith? it's quite good, just watched it now. makes me want to go climbing :dead:
nah, haven't seen it... but I did finally code one of your hundreds of suggestions into my galleries. Now if you hit the vote buttons, you'll jump to the next pic just as if it was a "next" button. I was going to just let you click the picture, but I've done enough to discourage voting already.

random toy of the day: the "lens pen" does a super job of cleaning lenses.