Quantcast

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I've already got a San Andreas (and 9point5, Rumble, Slix, Zen). I was going to kill myself doing drops on that little Zen xc so I put all the parts on a Sin. :evil:
Just put it together, haven't ridden it yet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
so it's been settled. i put in my notice today, will work up through july 8, then off to whistler with punkassean (punkasssean? hmm) and co. from july 9 onwards. it shall be sweet. i have to buy some upper body armor tho, i think :think:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
so it's been settled. i put in my notice today, will work up through july 8, then off to whistler with punkassean (punkasssean? hmm) and co. from july 9 onwards. it shall be sweet. i have to buy some upper body armor tho, i think :think:
don't hurt yourself too badly. I still want to ride with you if you're back in portland by the 23rd. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm, y'all may have noticed that just about all the pic links are broken now. this is because my webserver went up in flames two days ago. rip powercenter pro 180 :dead:

i should be able to recover all the data, but not until i make the trek home, which may be several weeks from now

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
did some wrenching on the canfield tonight, and now it feels 100% better than on the first ride. first off, i spaced the top roller all the way in (from the intermediate position it was at after my last dealings with it, and a far cry from the all-the-way-out position it initially was at). this screws up the chainline royally from the chainring to the top roller/sprocket, but it makes for a perfect chainline in the big cogs out back which i use 90% of the time.

second, i put on a 11-34 cassette. 34 >> 26 :D , and the short cage ultegra derailleur is taking up the slack just fine. i'm glad that the upper sprocket makes for a bike with next to no chain growth tho, or else i'd be screwed.

third, i put on the avalanche. it feels awesome, like melted butter. seriously, its whole feel, especially in the initial part of the stroke, is superb. its 550 lb-in spring feels somewhat softer than the 550 on the swinger 6 way. go figure.

finally, i put two firm springs in the monster, replacing the one busted and old firm, one "pro-wind" (read: lighter than medium) combo in there. i also found out that the preload had been dialed all the way in on one of the legs by one of my crackhead portland riding buddies. :D (zane! :dead:) hehe. no preload + firm springs == a smoother feel, much more like the avalanche.

the flat pedals already were on the bike from earlier this week, along with the wtb seat from the evil (with the evil getting the giant tioga). altogether these changes made the bike feel quite awesome, with a bottomless feel to the suspension, decent uphill gearing, and NO SKIPPING of the chain when putting the hammer down in large cogs in the rear

:thumb:

also, i am going to sell the extra springs and swinger shock. if anyone wants first dibs let me know here

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
heh, check out the stats from my company's firewall. sites whose traffic is due to me are in bold.

Current Sample Period: 3 Days, 0 Hours, 30 Minutes, 46 Seconds

View Data

Report to view: Web Site HitsBandwidth Usage by IP AddressBandwidth Usage by Service

Site Hits
1 66.151.158.177 41627
2 216.115.213.21 1357
3 216.115.213.30 1267 [these first three are all for gotomypc.com/expertcity -- the clients poll the server automatically.]
4 a.tribalfusion.com 665
5 update.nai.com 662
6 www.ridemonkey.com 516 awesome! :D
7 www.microsoft.com 489
8 gmail.google.com 442 awesome x 2! :D :D
9 ad.doubleclick.net 367
10 66.151.115.157 339
11 216.115.213.29 335
12 ctix2.cheaptickets.com 332
13 dev.mysql.com 296 i've been doing a little reading, as i'm considering writing a php/mysql "application"
14 www.orbitz.com 281
15 66.151.115.155 277
16 include.ebaystatic.com 273 -- hmm, someone is browsing ebay? not me
17 www.cheaptickets.com 272
18 toolbarqueries.google.com 264
19 webmail.aol.com 246
20 www.delta.com 224
21 www.google.com 219
22 66.35.250.190 177
23 66.162.64.27 145
24 www.mac.com 142 me again -- mac.com webmail :D :D :D
25 www.cdw.com 141 mostly me, but for legit reasons :(

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
look at him go!

more
coolness, you went riding :thumb: . i like the effect, but more flash to stop the motion at least at _some_ point would have been nice, too :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
coolness, you went riding :thumb: . i like the effect, but more flash to stop the motion at least at _some_ point would have been nice, too :D

that's all the love I could get out of the built-in. Next time I'll try a faster shutter and bigger aperature. (but not bad for a first go at it, eh?)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
that's all the love I could get out of the built-in. Next time I'll try a faster shutter and bigger aperature. (but not bad for a first go at it, eh?)
you have an external flash, no?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i had absolutely no complaints about the canfield today. no skipping, 36x34t was an acceptable low gear, was even able to raise the seat a bit for the fire road sections. it felt good enough, in fact, that i did some new sections of trail that i hadn't before :thumb: and in doing so raise my personal drop height threshold by a few feet.

in other news, blong from RM is a really talented rider. another ex-trialser, he was tearing it up on the skinnies, and exhibiting speed and control that you'd expect from a pro dh racer. props to him.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Toshi said:
in other news, blong from RM is a really talented rider. another ex-trialser, he was tearing it up on the skinnies, and exhibiting speed and control that you'd expect from a pro dh racer. props to him.
Second that. :thumb:

Any luck on finding that lead weight hidden on the front of your bike? :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
picked up the bike from wheelworks this afternoon (was in for it's 20000 mi checkup). there's oil all over the stanchions. hopefully, it was just a spill while they were doing whatever they were doing. looking forward to riding it again tomorrow. :drool:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
picked up the bike from wheelworks this afternoon (was in for it's 20000 mi checkup). there's oil all over the stanchions. hopefully, it was just a spill while they were doing whatever they were doing. looking forward to riding it again tomorrow. :drool:
riding... on a weekday? how is this possible? :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i am the minigolf champion! at least on the arcade front page, the minigolf high scores page apparently takes the oldest as tiebreaker :mad:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
nice catch. i'd skipped that thread since i thought it would be lame pics of konas with super monsters etc.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Quadari said:
Wow....some of those are almost disturbingly strange.

Also...re: Putt-putt.

That's a ridiculously low score there, Toshi. I think I had 154 after hole 7.
hey, ari, you still around? long time no post. :) keith and i are going out pretty regularly if you ever want to ride.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hehe, i had hole in ones for the first 10 or 11 holes that round, i think :eek:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ooh, you have some nice stuff there! :thumb:

i like these ones especially:

good use of flash in the group portrait, too. you really need to come up with a better navigation system for your galleries tho. :nope:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
ooh, you have some nice stuff there! :thumb:

good use of flash in the group portrait, too. you really need to come up with a better navigation system for your galleries tho. :nope:
But can you tell the other place I used the flash the same way (But did abetter Job) ?

what's wrong with my navigation? If I think you're right, I might even fix it

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
nope, couldn't tell about the flash. which one? why navigation is bad: you force people to click repeatedly in the left bar, and they must move their mouse each time. having the behavior of clicking on the picture bringing up the next one in the gallery (a la ken and ari's sites, i think) and/or having arrows in the picture frame as in my site would be better.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
nope, couldn't tell about the flash. which one? why navigation is bad: you force people to click repeatedly in the left bar, and they must move their mouse each time. having the behavior of clicking on the picture bringing up the next one in the gallery (a la ken and ari's sites, i think) and/or having arrows in the picture frame as in my site would be better.
your value judgments hinge on the fact that a user wants to look at all the pictures. Ipersonally don't like your navigation because I only look at pics for which the thumbnail looks like the pic will be cool, so I do a lot of extra clicking when the thumbnails are on a separate page. you are correct that clicking the pic to move on to the next one would provide the best of both worlds.

the other flash pic is the first one. I used the flash to fill some of the shadows on the subject's face

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
at least make your thumbnails bigger then. i view all of them since i can't make heads or tails of the image from the thumbnail (pinkynail?) provided. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
leavin' for whistler this afternoon. should be back somewhere from the 19th-22nd :cool:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Keith, Thad? Anyone else?

Just wondering who is around in Boston since I've sort of lost track of people.

I've been doingn some riding by myself so I thought I'd see if any of you guys were around.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Quadari said:
Keith, Thad? Anyone else?

Just wondering who is around in Boston since I've sort of lost track of people.

I've been doingn some riding by myself so I thought I'd see if any of you guys were around.
We're here, and riding every tues/thurs ~5:30pm. you should definitely come and play with us.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
WTGPhoben said:
We're here, and riding every tues/thurs ~5:30pm. you should definitely come and play with us.
Hmmm...that WOULD be fun, but you know work and all. Stupid work. :mumble:

You guys do any riding on the weekend? I haven't actually been offroad in quite a while (read >1 year) so that could be fun, and of course I'm always up for some on road action.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Quadari said:
Hmmm...that WOULD be fun, but you know work and all. Stupid work. :mumble:

You guys do any riding on the weekend? I haven't actually been offroad in quite a while (read >1 year) so that could be fun, and of course I'm always
up for some on road action.
We work too, but pretty close to campus, and we usually drive. If you're working close enough we might be able to swing it. I'm always up for the weekend, though lately Keith's been wandering around in the woods.... :monkey:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Quadari said:
Any of you guys up for a bit of riding tomorrow (Saturday) morning? (Preference would be road, but I could be convinced otherwise)

:cool:
I could be convinced of an easy road ride tomorrow morning, but Thad and I were palnning on going trail riding at blue hills tomorrow so if you think you have it in you, it would be best if you rocked that with us.

of course anyone else out there who's listening is welcome. Pace will probably be moderate. Just give us a reply.